Programming PPRNG (Mac & iOS)

I think this is better here than in the general RNG thread, but I'm not entirely sure. I'd be happy to post there too if it's warranted.

I'm fairly new to RNGing; I've managed to successfully RNG a couple dozen Pokemon over the last few weeks, including an all-shiny rain team and several Keldeos from the WFC distribution that ended a few weeks back. My kids and I just went to get the Game Stop Meloetta, and I spent some time to RNG a Naive HP Ice (flawless w/Spe 30) one.

When I succeeded, the nature, IVs, and HP were all right; but the Characteristic that PPRNG suggested it should have didn't match the Characteristic that it actually has: The software suggested "Capable of taking hits", but it's actually "Mischievous". I'm pretty sure I had all of the settings right (it's been my experience that if I miss at all, I miss big; never before have I missed just the Characteristic while hitting the nature and IVs), so I'm not sure if this is a "bug" or merely some sort of fluke. But I wanted to report it, just in case it's meaningful to someone.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As far as I know, this is just something for wondercards (I've had it happen with one of the Genesect I RNGed), as I've never had it happen for anything else.

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
My kids and I just went to get the Game Stop Meloetta, and I spent some time to RNG a Naive HP Ice (flawless w/Spe 30) one.

When I succeeded, the nature, IVs, and HP were all right; but the Characteristic that PPRNG suggested it should have didn't match the Characteristic that it actually has: The software suggested "Capable of taking hits", but it's actually "Mischievous". I'm pretty sure I had all of the settings right (it's been my experience that if I miss at all, I miss big; never before have I missed just the Characteristic while hitting the nature and IVs), so I'm not sure if this is a "bug" or merely some sort of fluke. But I wanted to report it, just in case it's meaningful to someone.
Characteristics for wondercards can be wrong if the details of the wonder cards are not set correctly in the searcher / inspector. This is particularly affected by the ability, but it can happen (rarely) if the ID / SID is not set correctly.

In your cases above, I suspect that the issue is that you didn't set the card ability to 0. For pokemon that only have one ability, the wondercards usually force the ability value to 0 (even though it isn't required to be 0 for single ability pokemon). The ability is contained in the PID, which is what determines the characteristic. Not forcing it to 0 in these cases will result in the wrong PID and thus the wrong characteristic about half of the time.

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
PPRNG 1.15.0 has been released.

This release adds support for all of the languages for Black 2 and White 2 on all DS models, save for Korean Black 2.

It also adds the ability to filter on multiple hidden power types and fixes a bug related to swarm frames.

This is the last version that will support OS X 10.5 as well as PPC processors.

i am clearly doing something very wrong. i'm trying to rng a keldeo from the dude in the pokemon centre (a gift pokemon right?) and keep getting a result so disagreeable it isn't even listed in the adjacent seeds.

what on earth am i doing wrong?

evo25

so nice!
i am clearly doing something very wrong. i'm trying to rng a keldeo from the dude in the pokemon centre (a gift pokemon right?) and keep getting a result so disagreeable it isn't even listed in the adjacent seeds.

what on earth am i doing wrong?
Lork are you searching wondercard seeds if not thats your first problem. yes it is a gift but it comes from a wonder card so search wonder card seeds the next problem is you may be hitting the wrong timer0. Black2/white2 have many timer0's.

Lork are you searching wondercard seeds if not thats your first problem. yes it is a gift but it comes from a wonder card so search wonder card seeds the next problem is you may be hitting the wrong timer0. Black2/white2 have many timer0's.
hahaha, no i wasn't using wondercard. thanks for pointing that out! will go give it another go.

evo25

so nice!
hahaha, no i wasn't using wondercard. thanks for pointing that out! will go give it another go.
Thats all i could think of i'm afraid hope it helps you also are you using the correct key presses and sure your hitting your timer0

Thats all i could think of i'm afraid hope it helps you also are you using the correct key presses and sure your hitting your timer0
yep, and you were right. i switched to the wondercard setting and rnged a perfect hp ice keldeo! thanks man.

Hi guys I'm relatively new to using the RNG and I've found that while I can come up with the correct IVs, I have yet to get a correct PID. Basically what I'm saying is when I find a seed on PPRNG, it has the IVs I want, but the pokemon isn't the one in the corresponding encounter slot and it also tends to not be the nature or ability I want. I'm not exactly sure what is causing this. I have the parameters filled out with everything except SID because I do not have access to pokecheck or an AR. I'm not worried about shininess. I would just like to be able to find the pokemon I want without having to guess and check on my chatot flips. I appreciate any help you can offer.

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
Hi guys I'm relatively new to using the RNG and I've found that while I can come up with the correct IVs, I have yet to get a correct PID. Basically what I'm saying is when I find a seed on PPRNG, it has the IVs I want, but the pokemon isn't the one in the corresponding encounter slot and it also tends to not be the nature or ability I want. I'm not exactly sure what is causing this. I have the parameters filled out with everything except SID because I do not have access to pokecheck or an AR. I'm not worried about shininess. I would just like to be able to find the pokemon I want without having to guess and check on my chatot flips. I appreciate any help you can offer.
You don't clearly state what you're doing, but if you're just hitting your seed and trying to catch the Pokemon without advancing the PID frame (via chatots), then you are not going to get what you're aiming for most of the time. If you don't want to bother with chatots, you'll need to find a seed that has the target frame equal to the starting PID frame. Since you aren't going for a shiny, that should be possible to find.

Also, this question is not specific to PPRNG, so you are likely to get a quicker response by posting in the main Gen 5 RNG help thread.

Ok I'll try again to explain since I didn't do a very good job with my last post. I'm currently trying to find a sturdy Aron with all 31 IVs on black2. Now the encounter slots say there should be an Aron in slots 4, 6, 8, and 10 if I'm not mistaken. I found a seed where the initial frame is 55 and my target frame is 70. So I do the chatot flips to get to frame 70 and then use sweet scent to bring out the pokemon, but it isn't the Aron that PPRNG tells me it should be. Instead it is a Boldore. Now I know I've hit the right seed because the Boldore has the IVs. I posted this in this thread because I'm stuck with PPRNG and I haven't found help elsewhere, but I had not tried the thread you suggested yet so I will try there as well. I appreciate any help you may offer and I hope I was more clear about what my problem is.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok I'll try again to explain since I didn't do a very good job with my last post. I'm currently trying to find a sturdy Aron with all 31 IVs on black2. Now the encounter slots say there should be an Aron in slots 4, 6, 8, and 10 if I'm not mistaken. I found a seed where the initial frame is 55 and my target frame is 70. So I do the chatot flips to get to frame 70 and then use sweet scent to bring out the pokemon, but it isn't the Aron that PPRNG tells me it should be. Instead it is a Boldore. Now I know I've hit the right seed because the Boldore has the IVs. I posted this in this thread because I'm stuck with PPRNG and I haven't found help elsewhere, but I had not tried the thread you suggested yet so I will try there as well. I appreciate any help you may offer and I hope I was more clear about what my problem is.
The issue would be WNPCs. Go into the Regi's rooms, those have the same encounter slots, and no WNPCs (you'd find it as a Lairon).

I meant just set the flag in your configuration. Doing an actual memory link shouldn't change anything for you, except it may have an effect on your initial PID frame. That is the part that hasn't been tested for you particular situation.

Out of curiosity, though you haven't done a memory link, did you do anything else from the Unova link menu, like transfer a key from another game? Do you have any wondercards downloaded?
I was having the same issue, until I ran across this post. After checking the memory link box, everything worked perfectly, after 20 trials (with various button presses) my Vcount and Vframe values are completely consistent, and my timer0 values only vary by 4. I have obtained wonder cards on my cart (wifi deoxys, wifi genesect, but no locals) and I have used the unova link to transfer keys to and from my two versions. Thanks for the awesome work, hope this helps, and keep it up!

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
It's been too long in coming -- especially now that X and Y are here -- but PPRNG has finally made its way to iOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pprng/id707495928?ls=1&mt=8

Here is a short list of some of the differences between PPRNG for Mac OS X and PPRNG for iOS.
  1. PPRNG for iOS currently only supports Generation 5 games (Black, White, Black 2, and White 2).

2. PPRNG for iOS is a free download, but it only initially includes basic functionality to allow you to calibrate your DS and perform searches for stationary encounters. All other functionalities are unlocked via low-cost In-App Purchases.

3. PPRNG for iOS allows you to interrupt a search at any time and come back to it later, with all progress and partial results saved. Past searches and results are also saved automatically.

4. PPRNG for iOS includes dex and location data, as well as an IV calculator. No more needing to know which ability is ability 0, or which encounter slot a Pokemon appears in for a given location. Calculated IVs are automatically filled in for calibration and adjacent seed searches.

5. PPRNG for iOS does not display absolute frame numbers. It displays the number of frame advancements required after taking the starting frame into account. It of course cannot take into account frame advancements due to NPC movement.

6. PPRNG for iOS has more up-to-date support for WonderCards than the current Mac OS X version.

7. PPRNG for iOS is going to run slower than the Mac OS X version because it is running on your phone. On an iPhone 5, it runs slightly slower than on my 2008 MacBook Pro (2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo processor). WonderCard searches are by far the slowest and I am currently working to optimize them where possible.

The currently available In-App Purchase functionalities are:
  • Full Encounter Support - All currently supported encounter types available for searching
  • WonderCard Seed Search and Inspection
  • Breeding Seed Search and Inspection (Black and White only)
  • Dream Radar Seed Search and Inspection (Black 2 and White 2 only)
Additional functionalities such as Trainer ID abuse are in the works.

I wish I could have gotten this out sooner, but life doesn't always work out as we like. ;-)
Still, I hope people enjoy it and find it useful for the remaining regional competitions which use Black 2 / White 2, and also once the ability to transfer Pokemon from Gen 5 games to X and Y opens at the end of the year.

Thanks to religiousjedi for testing.

Last edited:

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
Hi! There are some news about the RNG in VI generation?
The news is that there probably won't be RNG in Gen 6 any time soon if ever because there's no way currently get the information needed out of a 3DS, and most people don't care because Game Freak changed some things in the game to make getting good IVs a lot easier. The only thing that is still difficult enough to benefit significantly from RNG manipulation would be finding shinies in random encounters and getting a specific Trainer ID, to my understanding.

The news is that there probably won't be RNG in Gen 6 any time soon if ever because there's no way currently get the information needed out of a 3DS, and most people don't care because Game Freak changed some things in the game to make getting good IVs a lot easier. The only thing that is still difficult enough to benefit significantly from RNG manipulation would be finding shinies in random encounters and getting a specific Trainer ID, to my understanding.
Please don't tell me :_( ...............

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
Some news?
Should we help?
I'm not sure what exactly you're asking, but if you're asking about whether there has been any progress on Gen 6 RNG, the answer is 'no', and there will not be any time soon if ever (you just asked 4 days previous...).

Also, this isn't the right place to ask that kind of general question. Please only make posts in relation to PPRNG (either Mac or iOS version) in this thread.

It's been too long in coming -- especially now that X and Y are here -- but PPRNG has finally made its way to iOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pprng/id707495928?ls=1&mt=8

Here is a short list of some of the differences between PPRNG for Mac OS X and PPRNG for iOS.
  1. PPRNG for iOS currently only supports Generation 5 games (Black, White, Black 2, and White 2).

2. PPRNG for iOS is a free download, but it only initially includes basic functionality to allow you to calibrate your DS and perform searches for stationary encounters. All other functionalities are unlocked via low-cost In-App Purchases.

3. PPRNG for iOS allows you to interrupt a search at any time and come back to it later, with all progress and partial results saved. Past searches and results are also saved automatically.

4. PPRNG for iOS includes dex and location data, as well as an IV calculator. No more needing to know which ability is ability 0, or which encounter slot a Pokemon appears in for a given location. Calculated IVs are automatically filled in for calibration and adjacent seed searches.

5. PPRNG for iOS does not display absolute frame numbers. It displays the number of frame advancements required after taking the starting frame into account. It of course cannot take into account frame advancements due to NPC movement.

6. PPRNG for iOS has more up-to-date support for WonderCards than the current Mac OS X version.

7. PPRNG for iOS is going to run slower than the Mac OS X version because it is running on your phone. On an iPhone 5, it runs slightly slower than on my 2008 MacBook Pro (2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo processor). WonderCard searches are by far the slowest and I am currently working to optimize them where possible.

The currently available In-App Purchase functionalities are:
  • Full Encounter Support - All currently supported encounter types available for searching
  • WonderCard Seed Search and Inspection
  • Breeding Seed Search and Inspection (Black and White only)
  • Dream Radar Seed Search and Inspection (Black 2 and White 2 only)
Additional functionalities such as Trainer ID abuse are in the works.

I wish I could have gotten this out sooner, but life doesn't always work out as we like. ;-)
Still, I hope people enjoy it and find it useful for the remaining regional competitions which use Black 2 / White 2, and also once the ability to transfer Pokemon from Gen 5 games to X and Y opens at the end of the year.

Thanks to religiousjedi for testing.
This is brilliant. Well some and thanks as well.

The Gen IV seed searcher isn't helping me. Can someone explain how to use it? I am well versed in Gen V RNG. Do I need a time for HGSS? Also, why is it so difficult to find a shiny flawless special sweeper? I haven't found one yet...

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
The Gen IV seed searcher isn't helping me. Can someone explain how to use it? I am well versed in Gen V RNG. Do I need a time for HGSS? Also, why is it so difficult to find a shiny flawless special sweeper? I haven't found one yet...
Gen 4 is different to Gen 5. There are a whole lot fewer good spreads, and very few shiny ones unless you RNG your TID. The guides on Smogon for Gen 4 (http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpphgss_rng_intro) will be helpful for generally understanding the process. There's also a Gen 4 PPRNG guide on Nugget Bridge (http://nuggetbridge.com/breeding/pprnging-fourth-gen-pokemon/), however the screenshots seem to be missing for some reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)