I spent the morning trolling PO with this Sableye set:

Sableye @Leftovers
Impish, 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Ability: Mischievous Heart
-Substitute
-Protect
-Recover
-Will-o-Wisp / Night Shade

With Toxic Spikes support, this little beast has managed to stall entire teams to death. After making sure the opponent doesn't have Heatran or any Magic Guard users, you can stall two opponents completely to death just by burning anything immune to Toxic Spikes, then alternating Substitute/Protect. Sableye is also surprisingly bulky. I'm not going to run calcs right now, but as I learned from matches this morning, Kingdra's +1 Waterfall does ~60%, Heracross' Night Slash/Rock Slide does ~40%, Goruggo's Stone Edge does ~35%, etc. You can easily take most unboosted hits safely, alternating Recover and Protect to slowly gain Lefties recovery.

It's definitely a gimmick, and your whole team has to be built around it, but it CAN work. This is the first time in my life I've ever seen Sableye claim 6 kills to its name in a single battle.

I also ran a similar set with Voltolos, just to see how they compare.

Voltolos @Leftovers
Timid, 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
-Substitute
-Protect
-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot

Having actual attacks was helpful, for obvious reasons. You score kills much faster, and Voltolos' natural sweeping/revenging capability still comes through in a pinch. However, I didn't have nearly as much success with this as with Sableye. The key difference was that I found a surprising number of chances to Recover with Sableye, allowing me to continue the Toxic-stalling nonsense a lot longer. Voltolos could reliably score one kill this way per battle, but Sableye often ranged from 3-5, depending on the other team.

You forgot Confuse Ray on Sableye. Im really impressed on how Eruufun with Encora + Stun Power o Sableye with Will o Wisp and Confuse Ray with MH can stop treaths. Nice add to the game.

I spent the morning trolling PO with this Sableye set:

Sableye @Leftovers
-Substitute
-Protect
-Recover
-Will-o-Wisp / Night Shade

With Toxic Spikes support, this little beast has managed to stall entire teams to death. After making sure the opponent doesn't have Heatran or any Magic Guard users, you can stall two opponents completely to death just by burning anything immune to Toxic Spikes, then alternating Substitute/Protect. Sableye is also surprisingly bulky. I'm not going to run calcs right now, but as I learned from matches this morning, Kingdra's +1 Waterfall does ~60%, Heracross' Night Slash/Rock Slide does ~40%, Goruggo's Stone Edge does ~35%, etc. You can easily take most unboosted hits safely, alternating Recover and Protect to slowly gain Lefties recovery.

It's definitely a gimmick, and your whole team has to be built around it, but it CAN work. This is the first time in my life I've ever seen Sableye claim 6 kills to its name in a single battle.

I also ran a similar set with Voltolos, just to see how they compare.

Voltolos @Leftovers
Timid, 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
-Substitute
-Protect
-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot

Having actual attacks was helpful, for obvious reasons. You score kills much faster, and Voltolos' natural sweeping/revenging capability still comes through in a pinch. However, I didn't have nearly as much success with this as with Sableye. The key difference was that I found a surprising number of chances to Recover with Sableye, allowing me to continue the Toxic-stalling nonsense a lot longer. Voltolos could reliably score one kill this way per battle, but Sableye often ranged from 3-5, depending on the other team.
You know, I was going to post that exact Sableye set, but I didn't expect that it would work so brilliantly, since any flyer/levitator with recovery stops it, along with a handful of other things. Any MH user can use the priority sub+protect, but I think Sableye is the master of the strategy due to his immunities and instant Recovery.

A move most of you seem to be forgetting when discussing Sableye is Pain Split. I'd imagine he could switch in on a attacker and Will O Wisp to be able to take the hit. Then he just pain splits the sucker into oblivion while staying alive. With encore or taunt, he could even take walls down this way. I'd imagine something like this:

Sableye @Leftovers
-Night Shade / Seismic Toss
-Substitute / Taunt / Encore
-Pain Split
-Will-o-Wisp

I've been using Borutorosu as a pretty effective lead
Borutorosu @Leftovers
Timid 252 Speed/ 252 Sp.Atk/ 4 Def
-Taunt
-Thunder Wave
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
Mischeivous Heart Taunt pevents any kind of set-up from all leads barring an Erufuun that outspeeds you. TWave is great to come in mid-game and cripple a sweeper as Boru takes one for the team. Tbolt is for a quite powerful STAB and HP Ice gives BoltBeam coverage and is very useful for smacking around Erufuun.

I also run a Nasty Plot set on a dual screens team.
Timid @ Leftovers/Life Orb
252 Speed/ 252 Sp.Atk/ 4 Def
-Nasty Plot
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Taunt/ Grass Knot
Pretty simple here, uses his great typing to come in ad Nasty Plot up and then attempt a sweep with BoltBeam coverage. Taunt aids in setting up but Grass Knot can be used to hit random Swamperts and whatnot.

I feel that at the start of B/W when the metagame is starting to form these MH leads will become so popular that anyone who see a pokemon that can have MH as its ability will simply just attack and kill the MH lead and not even try to set up.

I feel that at the start of B/W when the metagame is starting to form these MH leads will become so popular that anyone who see a pokemon that can have MH as its ability will simply just attack and kill the MH lead and not even try to set up.
That's what a lot of people are already doing.

case and point. Still on the same topic i feel that MH leads loose predictability and originality so it would be better to bring them out mid match so they don't get K.O.d right off the bat.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I think the reason we're seeing so many Mischevious Heart leads is because they're one of the only viable ways to stop a Deoxys-S lead from having his wicked way with your team.

Although even then Magic Coat Deoxys-S doesn't really care...

That's why I like Magic Coat Porygon2. Every Deoxys-S I've faced has tried to Taunt it so I just reflect it back and completely stop its set up. It works great on MH and hazard leads as well.

I was thinking of a lead set for Sableye

Sableye
Adamant/Jolly
252 ATK 252 Speed/HP 4 ?

Mean Look
Taunt
Torment/Claw Sharpen/Shadow Claw
Trickery/Night Slash

what do you guys think about this?

Voltolos @Leftovers
Mischiveous Heart

Taunt
Torment
Toxic
Free Fall

This is like torment tran, but you get free lefties and toxic damage for a turn while you free fall ... havent tried it but i was thinking about it in the morning

Borutorosu@Leftovers
Jolly
Mischievous Heart
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Taunt
U-turn
T-Wave
Substitute

This guy has been my lead for a couple of days. I am pleased to say that he has worked out great.

I was thinking of a lead set for Sableye

Sableye
Adamant/Jolly
252 ATK 252 Speed/HP 4 ?

Mean Look
Taunt
Torment/Claw Sharpen/Shadow Claw
Trickery/Night Slash
Ok, first of all this isn't going to survive very long at all. He doesn't need speed EVs, and it's crazy not to run Will-o-Wisp. Mean Look isn't very good because even with investment (which you don't have), he's relatively frail. I've been using this set:

Sableye @ Iron Ball / Leftovers
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
EV: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Trick

Hmm. Sableye has MH Trick and Mean Look, among other things... I wonder if there's anything to be done with those?

EDIT: ...how the hell did I miss that?

If any MH pokemon can even learn ESpeed then it would have a priority of +3 not +4 but normally it would have +2 priority.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I think Mischievous Heart work better if they aren't leads. Most leads just attack right off the bat, leaving you nowhere, while Deoxys-S can Magic Coat you. Also, non-leads don't need to invest in Speed (unless your Borutorosu)

They still are pretty excellent when it comes to switching in and Taunt/Encoring some shit up.

I think Mischievous Heart work better if they aren't leads. Most leads just attack right off the bat, leaving you nowhere, while Deoxys-S can Magic Coat you. Also, non-leads don't need to invest in Speed (unless your Borutorosu)

They still are pretty excellent when it comes to switching in and Taunt/Encoring some shit up.
I enjoy facing Mischievous Heart Leads and other fast taunters because they're so predictable with taunt that I can switch to Scarf Shandera and immediately eliminate them with Overheat. Voltolos is the most common victim of this.

I think Sableye is a better MH lead in some ways because it can also cripple any physical lead with WoW if they decide to attack due to taunt. Fake out can also be useful to break sashes and to utilize Metal Burst.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was just thinking that Murkrow could actually be the saviour of a team that's about to get counterswept by a Ditto. If you didn't notice, Murkrow is the only pokemon that gets MH Haze, meaning that no matter what, he can come in and cancel stat boosts before the opponent can hit him (unless they're a priority sweeper). However, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Evolution Stone can help him survive priority moves. With max investment in one of his defenses he can still reach about 300 in the stat, which is still pretty good. He doesn't need to invest in Speed or Attack really, because he's supposed to be taking advantage of Mischievous Heart, not attacking.

He also still has access to Roost via Egg Moves, so he can have MH and Roost at the same time, which is handy since Roost will also get priority, meaning that he can always cancel out a weakness while using Roost against something like Rock Slide since he'll have priority.

Another really important thing is that he'll always be able to finish off the last pokemon on your opponent's team provided you have 1 or 2 of your teammates alive still. The reason for this is that Murkrow is the only Mischievous Heart user that has access to Perish Song. For instance, if the opponent has the bright idea of leaving Sand Throw SD Doryuuzu as their last pokemon so it can't be phazed out by something like Skarm, just bring Murkrow in on a revenge kill, Earthquake, or Swords Dance. Perish Song the thing, and you win the match if your team can just endure 3 more turns of battle.

He also has priority Mean Look, which is nice for a priority PerishTrap since he and Honchkrow are the only ones who can do the job with recovery under their belt.

Of course, priority Taunt and Swagger/Confuse Ray is awesome too.

I think that if Sableye and Volbeat of all pokemon can find their places in the metagame thanks to Mischievous Heart, Murkrow can do so as well, and he even has the added bonus of being a pre-evolution so he can use the Evolution Stone. xD

I haven't actually used him yet, but this looks like a ridiculously good Perish Trapping set on paper:

Murkrow @Evolution Stone
EVs: 232 HP/152 Def/124 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
0 Speed IVs
Mischievous Heart

- Perish Song
- Mean Look
- Protect / Roost
- Substitute

Basically, if you can get both the Perish Song and the Mean Look off, it's a guaranteed kill, because both Protect and Substitute have priority. Roost is also an option over Protect since Murkrow can easily Roost off his weaknesses for a turn, and he has 319/237/249 Defenses with this spread, which is pretty bulky (I got the spread from X-Act's defense EV optimizer), so there's a good chance that he'll last enough time to full off a successful Perish Trap. I used absolute minimum Speed because I saw Lee's post about how he did the same with Erufuun to lessen Gyro Ball damage. That seems pretty useful since it means Nattorei will be in quite a pickle if he comes up against you. Plus you really don't need the Speed unless you're facing other Mischievous Heart users, who most likely aren't investing in Speed either.

Of course, if you're afraid of accidentally trapping stuff like Tyranitar, Confuse Ray is an option over Sub.

The EV spread probably isn't the best since I didn't specialize toward anything, but it seems like an awesome concept, especially against Stall teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)