(Pre-Bank OU) Say Hello to the Bad, Bad Man

Every now and then, you just come across a certain Pokemon that you think is so cool, and might be really good, and you just have to build a team around it. This kind of feeling is everywhere at the start of a generation, but isn't it just so much fun? Currently, I wanted to build a team around Mega Pinsir, who looked extremely threatening on paper, and thankfully has been very effective in practice, too. The current team is as follows, but I'm always looking for ways to improve. So, on we go:

>

BADMAN (Pinsir) (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

This guy here may not have the unstoppable versatility of Mega Kangaskhan, but it's probably the next best thing (and much more stylish). Flying is an excellent offensive type, and paired with Earthquake, the only relevant Pokemon that resist that coverage are Rotom-W, Rotom-H, Zapdos, and Skarmory. The former two can be smacked with a Mold Breaker Earthquake before Mega-Evolving, and Zapdos doesn't want to keep switching in, due to it's SR weakness. Swords Dance boosts Pinsir's Attack to ridiculous levels, allowing it to perform ridiculous feats like OHKOing Gliscor with Return. Quick Attack is excellent strong priority, picking off faster things. Jolly is chosen to outpace things like Garchomp after Mega-Evolving, allowing me to smack them before they can hurt me. Mega Pinsir's biggest issue is his vulnerability to entry hazards, but with support in that regard, he's a real menace.

GABEN BEST GM (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Also known as "why not." Rotom-W ought to be an automatic entry into any XY team, it's that good. Between Volt Switch, Hydro Pump, and Will-o-wisp, there isn't anything that it can't at least somewhat trouble. I personally run fully physically defensive to stop Talonflame, who can potentially stop a Pinsir sweep. I also run a 30 Speed IV, to Volt Switch last against other Rotom. Rest is my final move, allowing Rotom to stay healthy, but I run Leftovers for the extra passive healing, rather than Chesto Berry. I can just burn away sleep turns now, so it's no big deal to put myself to sleep. It makes Rotom a perfect status absorber, too.

BARNETT WALL ACE (Mamoswine) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

As someone who used LO Mamoswine extensively last gen, I was really skeptical about running Sash instead, and using it to set up Stealth Rock. However, it's worked out very well for me so far, and the Sash allows for Mamo to often score a free kill. With just it's STAB moves, Mamoswine can threaten almost anything, and it's also the second of my priority users. I choose Jolly nature to guarantee that I get the Ice Shard off against opposing Breloom 100% of the time before they can hit me, and it also helps outpace certain things, including Tentacruel and Adamant Lucario before it Mega Evolves. It's a pleasant change of pace to use a SR setter that isn't Ttar or Ferrothorn.

GETA GETA GETA (Gengar) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Gengar is the fastest Pokemon on my team, and very threatening with just Shadow Ball and Focus Miss, which offer perfect neutral coverage. Substitute and Will-o-Wisp together allow Gengar to shut down Mega Kangaskhan, barring the rare Crunch set. I'm also just a fan of spreading status, and getting that nice residual damage on things, softening opponents up to aid Pinsir's sweep. Gengar also spinblocks, keeping Stealth Rock up if necessary. Gengar is an amazing utility mon.

2FAST (Excadrill) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

Excadrill makes removing entry hazards almost too easy, and thus is a perfect fit for this team, as Pinsir absolutely hates hazards of all kinds. Mold Breaker Earthquake hurts any potential spinblocker really badly, namely Gengar and Aegislash, but it can also dent rarer bulky ghosts like Dusclops. Rock Slide offers excellent coverage with Earthquake, and is also pretty useful when predicting switches. Toxic is another move I find a lot of use for on Excadrill, as not many are expecting it, and it's great for crippling sturdy walls that people would bring in on Excadrill. I run Leftovers so Excadrill can stay healthy and spin multiple times per match. Max Atk and Max Speed are standard EVs, but I also run Jolly nature so that I never lose to opposing Excadrill (unless it's Sand Rush under sand, but I've got Rotom for those guys).

YOUNGBLOOD MAC (Breloom) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

Rounding out the team is a Pokemon that I feel is tragically underrated presently. Spore may have been nerfed a bit, and so may have Fighting-types in general, but despite gaining a few hard counters, Breloom is still a real force. Spore can still put down almost anything, so why not abuse it? Mach Punch is the third priority move on this team, and is still capable of easy revenge killing and punching holes in teams, almost as well as Pinsir's Quick Attack. Bullet Seed is the good old strong STAB (if somewhat unreliable due to the randomness of it's hits), dishing out some real hurt against lots of things, including bulky Water-types, which this team otherwise has a bit of an issue with. Rock Tomb is an excellent tool Breloom gained this gen, offering great coverage and a really nice Speed drop, bringing foes down to Breloom's level. Often forgotten, but always scary: that's Breloom.

---

That's what I've got right now. It's definitely not perfect, as I sometimes struggle against speedy threats like Mega Lucario and Greninja, so if anyone wants to suggest practical changes to the team, please do so! Thanks for taking the time to read this, and rate away!​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)