Predicting over and under: A Warstory

Articanus' Lineup:

As you can see, mine is an offensive team with some defensive capabilities built into it, especially through resistances and immunities. It also sports three different priority users and a Scarfer. But enough with the intro: on with the show!

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
Articanus sent out Metagross.
Mr. Happy sent out Infernape.

OK, this is definitely NOT my advantage. From what I've seen lately from Infernape starters, I can expect a Fire Blast, Stealth Rock, or Fake Out. Time to put the awesome resistance combination of Metagross + Salamence to good use.

Articanus switched in Salamence.
Salamence's intimidate cut Infernape's attack!
Infernape used U-turn.(Oh crap...)
It's not very effective...
Salamence lost 9% of its health.
Mr. Happy switched in Gengar.

He must have something sly up his sleeve if he brought Gengar into Salamence. I don't want to risk being put to sleep(as I've recently changed my Celebi's Heal Bell to Leech Seed), and I don't want to just die to Hidden Power [Ice], so I decide for Metagross to come back in with his great resistances and Lum Berry.

Articanus switched in Metagross.
Gengar used Substitute.
Gengar lost 25% of its health.
Gengar made a substitute!
Gengar's leftovers restored its health a little!
Gengar restored 6% of its health.

I'm being played the fool.... see kids, this is why momentum is so improtant. Right now he's forced two switches, and it has ended up with him having no damage and a free substitute up. However, the hint from Leftovers was a blessing, as it showed that Gengar's Shadow Ball would be a 3HKO, at least, on my Metagross, which has been EVed to take two LOed Gengar Shadow Balls. So if my math is correct, the usual 3HKO changed to a.... 3HKO....
>_<
Why couldn't it be Life Orb....
Anyway, my current strategy is to force him to Hypnosis my Metagross, which means Lum Berry activates, and then I can Bullet Punch it before it puts me back to sleep. Not exactly the best plan, but it's all I have for now....

Gengar used Shadow Ball.
Metagross lost 32% of its health.
Metagross used Meteor Mash.
Metagross's attack missed!

So really, Gengar, how's the weather up there? Lovely you say? Good to know!
But good to know that it's a 4HKO! That means I get a little bit more damage in(I hope) before I'm down a poke.

Gengar used Shadow Ball.
Metagross lost 33% of its health.
Metagross used Meteor Mash.
The substitute took damage for Gengar!
Gengar's substitute faded!

OK, the substitute is down. Now he'll probably switch to a counter: better for me to get Stealth Rock up to help me later in the battle.

Gengar used Substitute.
Metagross used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!

Metagross: You idiot! Always have to go with your predictions and assumptions, DON'T YOU!
Articanus: I'm sorry! He's not playing like what I want him to! GAWD!

... so yeah, I can't risk Meteor Mash missing again. I'm going for the immediant Bullet Punch!

Metagross used Bullet Punch.
Gengar used Shadow Ball.
Metagross lost 34% of its health.
Articanus's Metagross fainted.
Articanus: 5
Mr. Happy: 6

So yeah, there came that 3HKO I was talking about earlier.... really, random number generators suck.
The fact that my team is having trouble with a Leftovers Substitute Gengar is really ticking me off: in fact, it just took out my best Gengar counter! Thankfully, I have two more priority users on the team(Azumarill and Mamoswine) and a Choice Scarfer(Heatran). I want to figure out Heatran's counters now so I can try to sweep with it later, if at all possible.

Articanus switched in Heatran.

I hope it hits. D=

Mr. Happy switched in Snorlax.
Pointed stones dug into Snorlax.
Snorlax lost 12% of its health.
Heatran used Fire Blast.
A critical hit!
Snorlax lost 34% of its health.
Snorlax's leftovers restored its health a little!
Snorlax restored 6% of its health.

I hate Thick Fat soooooo much.... it takes my critical and makes it look like nothing. Not that it really mattered too much in the long run, to be honest. Anyway, I can see an Earthquake or a Curse coming a mile away, so I'm going to safely retreat to Celebi, Leech Seed it, and try to get back on the offensive.

Articanus switched in Celebi.
Pointed stones dug into Gengar.
Gengar lost 12% of its health.

If I could describe this turn in one word, it would be "embarassment". He's taken the best part of my game(early predictions) and completely ruined me with them! Not anymore: your sub is going down!

Gengar used Substitute.
Celebi used Hidden Power.
A critical hit!

I have no idea if that critical was needed(most likely not), but it never hurt. Now to retreat to Heatran on the incoming Shadow Ball.

Gengar used Focus Blast.
It's super effective!
Heatran lost 84% of its health.

Another rather embarassing moment: he's catching every other turn with amazing predictions! No more, I tell you, NO MORE! I doubt he'd be willing to sacrafice Gengar, seeing that he's giving me so much trouble with it, so I'll catch whatever he brings in with my LOed Jolly Mamoswine!

Articanus switched in Mamoswine.
Gengar used Substitute.

Mamoswine: Learn to play the dang game! You don't HAVE to predict everything! Sometimes playing cautious pays off in the long run...
Articanus: STFU n00b!!!
Mamoswine: Who's the one in deep over his head at the moment?
Articanus: ...

So yeah. I am not having a great match. All I can do at this point is Ice Shard and hope that Focus Blast misses(or oddly doesn't OHKO).

Mamoswine used Ice Shard.
Gengar used Focus Blast.
It's super effective!
Mamoswine lost 100% of its health.
Articanus's Mamoswine fainted.
Articanus: 4

At this point I'm freaking out... I've lost two of my members to the same pokemon, WHOM I COULD HAVE KILLED LAST TURN!!! I don't have a choice but to reveal my favorite pokemon in the entire game:

Articanus switched in Azumarill.

I'm going to Aqua Jet: simply because I can't afford for this Gengar to get a free kill, and that from what I've seen, his members are either O or 2-HKOed by it. Chances are he has something to take it: but at least I'll know what it is and I can try to remove it for later.

Mr. Happy switched in Forretress.
Pointed stones dug into Forretress.
Forretress lost 12% of its health.
Azumarill used Aqua Jet.
Forretress lost 21% of its health.

Not good at all! He either Rapid Spins away my Stealth Rock, which will make life for Azumarill harder, or he sets up Stealth Rock, which limits my Heatran: either way, Heatran comes in for free. Best make use of it.
Also note how there's no Leftovers recovery: that tells me it's holding either Light Clay or Shed Shell. I pray it's Shed Shell, as a Light Clayed Light Screen would be good game at this point.

Forretress used Stealth Rock.

I am actually pretty OK with that. I don't intend for Heatran to live much longer anyway, but I better use the few attacks I have with him to my advantage. No overpredicting: Fire Blast till my death!

Mr. Happy switched in Snorlax.
Heatran used Fire Blast.
Snorlax lost 14% of its health.

I expected as much: he'll probably kill me, but I need to deal as much damage as possible to soften it up for Azumarill.

Heatran: I'm about to die aren't I?
Articanus: Yeah.....
Heatran: Darn.

Heatran used Fire Blast.
Snorlax lost 15% of its health.
Snorlax used Crunch.
It's not very effective...
A critical hit!
Heatran lost 16% of its health.
Articanus's Heatran fainted.
Articanus: 3

Well, I am almost sure his critical wasn't needed, but it may be payback for the previous two times I've done it(or insult to injury). Azumarill, as far as I can tell, can tear a hole in his team as it apparently lacks a decent Water resist.

Pointed stones dug into Azumarill.
Azumarill lost 12% of its health.

Free 50 damage: no biggie. If I play it right, I shouldn't get hit anyway. I plan to Waterfall, as it will OHKO Infernape, Gengar, and Snorlax while 2HKOing Forretress.

Mr. Happy switched in Forretress.
Pointed stones dug into Forretress.
Forretress lost 12% of its health.
Azumarill used Waterfall.
Forretress lost 44% of its health.

OK: I may be able to pull out a win if I keep my head cool.

Azumarill used Waterfall.
Forretress lost 11% of its health.
Mr. Happy's Forretress fainted.
Articanus: 3
Mr. Happy: 5

And I finally draw blood! <3 Azumarill!

Cool: if Stealth Rock keeps wearing him down, I may actually be able to pull off an end-game comback. But I'm still two pokemon behind: I'm no where near out of the woods yet. I'm hoping for a Substitute as usual, as it will put him closer into KO range in which Azumarill will guarantee the KO. So Salamence, even though you've done nothing, your time has come to ward off the evil till your dying breath.

Articanus switched in Salamence.
Salamence's intimidate cut Gengar's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Salamence.
Salamence lost 25% of its health.
Gengar used Thunderbolt.
Salamence lost 42% of its health.

Salamence: So.... about that whole "deal some damage to it" plan?
Articanus: I'm working on it!

OK, so Thunderbolt, as common as it is, was not something I expected. Even without Stealth Rock, I don't think my Salamence could survive the incoming Shadow Ball.

Gengar used Shadow Ball.
Salamence lost 23% of its health.
Articanus's Salamence fainted.
Articanus: 2
Mr. Happy: 5

OK, that failed miserably: not only did Salamence die in vain, but that wretched Gengar just gained two free turns of Leftovers recovery! Maybe I can force it out with what it came in on: Azumarill's Aqua Jet.

To make things worse, I just took a free 50 damage with it. Man, I've misplayed this whole match.

Mr. Happy switched(YES!!!) in Snorlax.
Azumarill used Aqua Jet.
Snorlax lost 19% of its health.
Mr. Happy's Snorlax fainted.
Articanus: 2
Mr. Happy: 4

I'd like to point out how the earlier critical hit from Heatran's Fire Blast made no impact on this kill: if I had never critted, then Snorlax would have had 13% more HP, which would have easily been disposed of by Aqua Jet.

Mr. Happy switched in Metagross.
Pointed stones dug into Metagross.
Metagross lost 6% of its health.

To recap, I have a 75% Azumarill stuck in Aqua Jet, which will easily do nothing% damage to Metagross's cold, metal exterior. It will then later happily Explode on Celebi, costing me the match. The opponent has an Infernape and a Gengar, both of which are in kill range for Azumarill. He also has one member that I know nothing about.
A safe alternative for Mr. Happy would to Explode now and kill the Celebi off with Gengar. I can't afford for Azumarill to die, as Celebi has no hope against Infernape and Gengar anyway, so Celebi, adios!

Celebi: I DON'T WANNA DIE IN AN EXPLOSION! I WANNA BE IN A SALAD LIKE MY DADDY!
Articanus: Shut up! You are my slave that lives in a ball that I keep on my pouch. Now do as I say!
Celebi: ...fuck you...
Articanus: What was that!?!
Celebi: NOTHING!

Articanus switched in Celebi.
Pointed stones dug into Celebi.
Celebi lost 12% of its health.
(Celebi: The things I do for love....)
Metagross used Explosion.
Celebi lost 88% of its health.
Articanus's Celebi fainted.
Mr. Happy's Metagross fainted.
Articanus: 1
Mr. Happy: 3

I've had many scenarios like this: working my opponent down with my team till my last member can take on the remaining opponents with his STAB priority move. Or insane speed. Or.... something....
Point is, I hope I win!

Mr. Happy switched in Infernape.
Pointed stones dug into Infernape.
Infernape lost 12% of its health.

OK, one down. Hopefully my 251 HP Azumarill can hold off the opponent's team.

Azumarill used Aqua Jet.
It's super effective!
Infernape lost 88% of its health.
Mr. Happy's Infernape fainted.
Mr. Happy: 2

If there would be a time to show your hidden pokemon, it would be now.

Mr. Happy switched in Heracross.
Pointed stones dug into Heracross.
Heracross lost 12% of its health.

And it's game over. From experience, I know that Choice Band will do around 85% with Close Combat, and Adamant Choice Scarf does 249 damage minimum(any higher will KO me). So, seeing this small chance of victory, I stay in.

Azumarill used Aqua Jet.
Heracross lost 57% of its health.
Heracross used Close Combat.
Azumarill lost 59% of its health.
Heracross's defence was lowered.
Heracross's special defence was lowered.

OK, I was literally shaking at this point! For it to do such low damage, I knew it had to be Jolly with no boosting item. That leaves one of two sets:
1) Choice Scarf
2) MoPCross
I was more inclined to believe that it was Scarfed, but later it turned out that it was, in fact, MoPCross! Not that it made a difference: they both have the same original attack stat.
Running calculations later, I had over a 50% chance of surviving that hit, so it wasn't "extremely lucky" either. A match well played, Mr. Happy, but I think I got this in the bag.

Azumarill used Aqua Jet.
Heracross lost 31% of its health.
Mr. Happy's Heracross fainted.
Mr. Happy: 1

Recap: I have an Azumarill using Aqua Jet, he has a Gengar at 50...

.... err, 37%. Great game! We have a little chatter about me warstorying this and how he wanted the calcs on Heracross's CC, which I kindly did later(I was intrested myself).

Azumarill used Aqua Jet.
Gengar lost 37% of its health.
Mr. Happy's Gengar fainted.
Articanus wins!

Props
* Mr. Happy showed off his great prediction skills and intresting sets, giving him the easy early advantage.
* His Gengar, which was the first thing to get a kill, and the last thing to die. Very well played.
* Metagross, for setting up a Stealth Rock that proved vital all the way through.
* Azumarill, for coming out for the win at the end! <3

Slops
* I didn't predict anything.
* For how well Mr. Happy played, he still lost.
* For the random number generator hating my Metagross and his Heracross.

Mr. Happy's Lineup:

haha this reminds me of one of my friends who looks upon pokemon like dogfighting (and often gives me crap about it lol)

cool read.

it has that feel where he outplayed you during the battle but your team was superior to his so you won, or he was azumarill weak at the very least.

(and you tell me all you can do to win is predict, silly, I brought you up to be better than that)

though yelling at your pokemon was kinda harsh. do as I say, not as I do.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeee, Azumarill love!

Happy made some good predictions, but it was a satisfying game all around as both of you played well. For a second there I thought he was gonna sweep you in total prediction.

**** Stars

Another great warstory. I loved how you finally came back in the end. I am now going to start using that Leftovers/Sub Gengar after seeing how much damage it did to your team.

oh my god, this was a great warstory. The beginning was hilarious with your opponent just humiliating you with their prediction, then came along the side chats with your team mates. I especially loved the bit with Celebi taking the Explosion. Then the ending where Azumarill somehow won the bread taking down the last guys.

Great story, it was funny, and a engaging as a pokemon battle.

Great warstory, wow at those predictions though, that guy should be playing the lottery instead of playing shoddy.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed the recent prevalence of warstories containing Azumarill?

Great warstory, wow at those predictions though, that guy should be playing the lottery instead of playing shoddy.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed the recent prevalence of warstories containing Azumarill?
I've been noticing an increase of them in RMT's and in actual game battles too. I'm actually using CB Azumarill right now also.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love that his name is Mr. Happy . . .

. . . and the conversation with the pokes was pretty damn funny.

awesome lefties-gar :P

damn, mr. happy deserved a win there with all his predictions. o well, i guess he lost in the team making part. wonderful warstory.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This is one of the best warstories I've ever seen, prediction-wise. My gripe with your last one was that it didn't have that many predictions but this one made up for it 10 times over. Your opponent probably deserved to win based on sheer predictions, but the way you played around them even when you had no right to win (on paper) made the ending enjoyable.

Well done, and I may start using Azumarill again, as well as Gengar.

Very good warstory. I like how you were able to overcome the humiliating early-game.

And Azumarill is really a monster. I've used Azumarill since the start of D/P because the thought of a Huge Power CB STAB Priority Move is too awesome to pass.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Awesome read, Articanus! <3 the Azumarill action, and it is ironic how Mamoswine and Salamence did crap shit (lol @ their frustrating and disappointed responses to your instructions xD). IMO, it should've still been a reliable win for Mr. Happy once you got down to Celebi + Azumarill, but he underrated the game situation I guess. The upset win (with a freaken Aqua Jet Azu taking out 4 Pokemon) is complete!

Wow, much better than I expected. Good job and good game.

This was actually the first match I played with this team (on a test account, but asked Articanus to use my Smogon name), so my teambuilding was definitey improvable (as shown by the Azu weak).

Now for some explanations on my part... I subbed up on Metagross vs. Gengar because I assumed CBGross and tried to make Meteor Mash miss. I also put a Sub up against Heatran because I knew it was scarfed and I thought it'd try and take Snorlax down with Explosion since it was at very low health.

I could have stood a chance at winning if I had just sacrificed Lax and did some damage to Azumarril with Forry to put it into CC range (Which I'm using mainly to hit Steels that resist Megahorn, but I'm experimenting).

Kudos to you and your Azumarril!

First off I want to say thank you for the fast and wonderful replys! I go to sleep and I wake up in the morning with 21 posts and 5 stars. *is very happy*

And lol @ Mr. Happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)