Prelude of Light (OU Sun + UU Subs) [Peaked at 7th]

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just a small nitpick but i saw someone saying somewhere that hp ice needs you to lower your speed iv...this is not true!there are other spreads for ivs to get a perfect hp ice which don't lower your speed stat!!!

I as reading this and I thought maybe a dragonite would be one of the best replacements for garchomp.
It has access to multiscale, meaning it can easily survive boosted lucario extremespeeds and act as a check in a pinch.
You could run a set similar to garchomps with fire punch and dragon claw over dual chop and fire fang, or run a mixed set. You could put ice beam and superpower in somewhere to deal with tyranitar and gliscor.

Or maybe a latias?

Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- hidden power fire
- Recover​

I suggest trying Lucario:

name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: ExtremeSpeed
move 4: Ice Punch
item: Life Orb
ability: Inner Focus
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Has trouble with 3 things: Ghosts, switching in and Terrakion. Aside from that, with stealth rocks on the field, he OHKOs almost the entire OU metagame. I know he may be frailer than chomp, but if you wait until the opponent's ghost is removed, it pretty much gg. Just try it out, and see how it goes.

Wow !

Thanks I was able to read it ^^

If I remembered well, I never played against this team. I really love it and love your Ninetailes too :)

Very good building... i have to stop saying that i " love" all about your team I think...

Well the problem today is that Only one Pokémon can take the place of Garchomp I guess. We can't remplace it by a " random " physical one. The goal of Garchomp was to wallbreak and to be able to take some domages before dying. Lucario is one shoted by too many comon move and hasen't its place over here. Latias is a special sweeper and we can't compares it to Garchomp ( only the type ^^').

Katakiri hasen't got any spiner and I don't think Dragonite is a good idea too.

The only Pokémon which is able to remplace it is I think Ononokusu. It deals a great amont of damage has a similar set but without a fire move :( and it will not be so efective as Garchomp but it is a good deal I guess.

Lucario? If it's terrakion weak then it's a definite no no for his team. He doesn't want to give one of his main threats any more chances to switch in.
Haxorus? No way. Easily walled by skarm which is really common. Slower too. I think latias does garchomps role better than haxorus.
The only things haxorus has in common with chomp is its typing, dual chop and that it hits physically. But I don't think it does nearly as much as garchomp or anything nearly as well.
He can put either thundurus or latias in for garchomp, or go a more defensive route and trade durant for forretress and a more defensive pokemon/sun reliant pokemon in for garchomp.
Honestly I think garchomp was in soley that it was the best pokemon in ou and could fit in any team. It needs to be replaced by a strong overpowered pokemon or a pokemon that fits his team.

You could try Volcarona too, with a selected hidden power in the last slot you could manage even Terrakyon, but with him you have to worry about Stealth Rock :/

Dragonite, Latias or a chlorophyl sweeper maybe are the good choice

For Garchomp you could try put a Lum Berry on it and replacing Dual Chop with Outrage. That way even if you don't receive a status, the Berry will cure your confusion the moment it emerges. I've had a lot more success with this set than using Dual Chop which tended to miss more often than I'd have hoped.

EDIT: My bad I forgot he was banned.

Just posting to put out some ideas for a Garchomp replacement.

Tangrowth - One of the bulkiest pokemon around it could be run as a supporter, or a sun sweeper. Regenerator and Chlorophyll make it a good team player. Slowest Sun Sweeper, but it is bulky like Garchomp and has good mixed attacking stats, along with an amazing support movepool.

Venusaur - Perhaps the best Sun sweeper of Gen V. Can wreck entire teams by itself after a Growth. Relatively bulky, which means that it won't be put down by priority after it starts sweeping. Poison typing gives it a resist to fighting types, and allows it to absorb Toxic Spikes. I find a special set to be the best for me.

Rhydon/Rhyperior - As bulky grounds go these are the best (In my opinion). Under the sun their water weakness is much more manageable, and with your team Grass pokemon are no problem. As such these can again take the place of bulky sweeper, or physical tank. Rhydon takes Nuetral hits like a boss, and with 130 base attack he can hit back hard. Rhyperior on the other hand has a little bit higher attack and can carry leftovers/life orb/whatever. I have used both on sun teams and they perform well, being great checks to Sand. They do have those nasty 4X weaknesses, but as said Sun nueters water (Which your team handles well enough anyway) and the rest of your team have nothing to fear from grass.

These are just some thoughts on what could be used now that Garchomp is gone. All of them have their pros and cons, but for your team they seem to synergize nicely. I based my suggestions around what you seemed to be using Garchomp for, which was to take physical hits and then punch holes in the enemies team.

I thought he was mainly using garchomp as a wallbreaker/sweeper that could get around skarm/bliss/jellicent cores.
Latias can do this, is immune to earthquake (the bane of his team), resists fire and water, outspeeds terrakion and all other non scarfed dragons (or at least ties), is neutral to rocks and immune to spikes and i don't really feel he loses much from the transition from garchomp to latias.
It has to be latias or thundurus or it's just an inferior option, come on prove me wrong.
Latias or thundurus should be on pretty much every team now that garchomp is gone, as before it was at least one of either garchomp, latias or thundurus on every team. It won't be long before all 3 are made uber then maybe he can use salamence :P

Really good team, you might want to put hone claws on durant instead of t wave as it will boost it's accuracy to 100% (I think) while boosting it's attack stat even higher. Then you can give it a more useful item (life orb/ leftovers/ muscle band). Since chomp is uber now, you might want to add a more dedicated physical wall, as your team doesn't have much to take hits with. Cresselia would work well, ass moonlight is boosted in the sun and it can take hits like a boss.

Alice

The worst taste in music
I think "double dance" Terrakion might be a good replacement for chomp. Deals with lucario, ties with other terrakion (better than nothing), and murders stall (at least beats the chansey/jellicent/steel combo). Besides, sun softens up that water weakness, so it also gets weather synergy.

Terrakion @ LO/lefties/balloon
252/252/4 Jolly nature
Swords dance
Rock polish
Close Combat
Stone Edge

SD against stall, RP against offense (or sand, in case T-tar gets past your strategy), and both against anyone silly enough to let it setup, lol

Just beware of conkeldurr...

I thought he was mainly using garchomp as a wallbreaker/sweeper that could get around skarm/bliss/jellicent cores.
Latias can do this, is immune to earthquake (the bane of his team), resists fire and water, outspeeds terrakion and all other non scarfed dragons (or at least ties), is neutral to rocks and immune to spikes and i don't really feel he loses much from the transition from garchomp to latias.
It has to be latias or thundurus or it's just an inferior option, come on prove me wrong.
Latias or thundurus should be on pretty much every team now that garchomp is gone, as before it was at least one of either garchomp, latias or thundurus on every team. It won't be long before all 3 are made uber then maybe he can use salamence :P
He used it as a bulky pivot and a wallbreaker. Also both of those pokemon add to a sun teams ever present weakness of Tyranitar, of who garchomp had no fear. Latios and Thunderus are not the end all for every team, and this team is one of those. The suggestions I made were based on the teams overall strenghts and weaknesses, which is what should be done. I also backed up my suggestions with ways that they synergize with the rest of his team, whereas you just said "They are Uber so they should be used". Honestly it is post like those that have made the RMT forum go downhill.

Quick Edit: I am not saying Latios is a bad option, just that on a Sun team you should generally look at other pokemon first, because Tyranitar really is a top threat. Anything that Tyranitar can come in on should be overlooked for other options on any sun team. I stopped running latios on my teams when I figured that out.

I'm going to second Alice's suggestion of Double Dance Terrakion, but I'll also try some other options out. (Looking it bringing back Sun Nido from earlier)

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Use mixed salamence. Everyone knows the set. It hits like a monster under sunlight, and doesn't need as many spa evs if you're only running fire blast or flamethrower.

Well, I gotta say that i tried the team in like 20 fights, and won every one of them, also i don't know why people keep saying that durant isn't that good, he is worth his weight :D

A great team i don't have any sugestion, just keep doing that amazing job!!!

I'm curious to why you have a non-stab crunch on two pokes.
D:
Sorin markov what server were you playing on?

@Katakiri
Sorry, my last post was when I was really tired and I didn't really give you any specific reason to listen to me. I haven't thought of a good replacement for Garchomp (a very difficult task), but I would suggest changing Crunch to Ice Punch on Snorlax, at least.
In testing this team, I rarely found myself using Crunch as it was usually much more useful to go for the STAB Return or Pursuit a Psychic.
With Ice Punch it enables you to deal with Gliscor on the switch-in. This may only work for me due to us having different battle styles, but maybe give it a try?

Great team by the way, and I too am a LoZ fan :)

@Katakiri
Sorry, my last post was when I was really tired and I didn't really give you any specific reason to listen to me. I haven't thought of a good replacement for Garchomp (a very difficult task), but I would suggest changing Crunch to Ice Punch on Snorlax, at least.
In testing this team, I rarely found myself using Crunch as it was usually much more useful to go for the STAB Return or Pursuit a Psychic.
With Ice Punch it enables you to deal with Gliscor on the switch-in. This may only work for me due to us having different battle styles, but maybe give it a try?

Great team by the way, and I too am a LoZ fan :)
Gliscors are very defensive, ice punch will not kill. While he can poison you and stall you out of pp/health.

Ice Punch does a minimum of 88.14% to Gliscor and has a 20.51% chance to OHKO. If you have Stealth ROck up, there is a 100% chance to OHKO.

Not sure if this has been asked before, but how did you come up with the name Gohma for Garchomp? Its a shark, not a spider...

I don't see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)