1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Prequel To The Sequel (QC work to be done before XY, all QCers must read)

Discussion in 'BW OU Analyses' started by PK Gaming, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Jukain

Jukain fuck macle
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

also these things:

- Make Shuca Berry + SR / Fire Punch or Icy Wind / HP Ice or Thunderbolt / Thunder or Iron Head or Energy Ball the main option over Expert Belt in current mixed Jirachi.

- Rocky Helmet / Focus Sash on lead Garchomp -- whole analysis being revamped. Also AC mention Draco Meteor + max Special Attack.

- Change Keldeo set order to All-Out Attacker/Scarf/Specs/Offensive/SubCM -- Offensive has 3 attacks plus CM/Sub.

- Phys Def Hippowdon to first set.

- TR / NP / Shadow Ball / HP Fighting + max HP / max SAtk Quiet Cofagrigus analysis.
  2. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis Smogon Frontier's Castle Valetis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 16 Champion

Terrakion set order should be CB / SR / SubSD / Double Dance / Scarf.

Sub attacking Kyu-B should not be physically based. It should be Sub | Earth Power | Ice Beam | Fusion Bolt, with Dragon Claw / Outrage slashed after Ice Beam. Specially based mixed needs to have Focus Blast as a primary slash (second moveslot, Earth Power / Draco Meteor go after it), and needs Fusion Bolt slashed in the third slot as well. On the topic of set order: Sub attacker, specially based mix, CB, Scarf, Sub shuffler, physically based mix.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  3. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

@PK Gaming , I want your approval before I make any on-site changes to Jellicent, since BKC, AG, jukain and I talked, and they wanted something different from what you suggested.

- AC speedy spread and make max HP / max Def the main spread
    - jellicent should always have a status move - BKC suggested this moveset:

move 1: Will-o-Wisp
    move 2: Taunt
    move 3: Recover
    move 4: Scald / Night Shade / Shadow Ball
    AC Toxic

I'd like some more input here / approval from PK Gaming here

PS: Slashed Water Gem onto Special Attacker Politoed; expanded a bit on Water Gem in AC
  4. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Danned Beucer.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

It might also be worth it to AC Magic Coat on Jellicent - it's a great move against both stall teams and HO leads alike, although requires very careful prediction.
  5. Jukain

Jukain fuck macle
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

ok so:

- slash psychic with surf on scarftoed, toxicroak is annoying

- encore / perish song in the last slot, and drop hypnosis to ac.

- passho berry should be a main option on volc, and air balloon deserves a mention somewhere for setting up on choice-locked ground-type attacks

I will be rewriting Ninetales's defensive set, and the last slot will be changed to Roar / Toxic. I wrote the original analysis, and the current defensive write-up is fluffy and overzealous.
  6. Jukain

Jukain fuck macle

okay sorry to double post but I fixed stuff:

- Condensed Ninetales's defensive set from 10 paragraphs down to 5.

- Changed Keldeo set order to one we decided on. Slashed Substitute with CM on offensive CM as we all agreed.

- Changed Terrakion set order to one we decided on.

- Slashed Psychic on Scarf and Specs Politoed. Dropped Hypnosis to AC on Scarf. Mentioned HP Electric in Scarf AC.

@PK Gaming, make these notes for the following things in the OP:

Brii's post also provided a good to-do list, so I'll mark off what we've completed from there.

-----------------------------

More stuff to take care of:

- Salac Berry needs to be slashed first on SubSD Terrakion. I'm thinking Salac Berry / Rock Gem and dropping Life Orb to AC?

- Rock Slide is a good filler option on CB Terrakion. Slashes for the last slot to Rock Slide / Sacred Sword / Quick Attack or Sacred Sword / Rock Slide / Quick Attack?

- Politoed set order could be revised. I'm thinking Scarf/defensive/Specs/special attacker, since Scarf has become much better in this metagame.

-----------------------------

Current stuff to discuss:

- Defensive set slash order on Politoed. It is currently:

move 1: Scald
    move 2: Protect / Ice Beam / Refresh
    move 3: Perish Song / Encore
    move 4: Toxic / Hypnosis

imo: AC Refresh and slash Ice Beam before Protect. Possibly AC Hypnosis? Not sure.

I agree with these points, but I want a consensus before we actually go through with them.

- We agreed to put Rocky Helmet / Focus Sash as the main slashes on SR Chomp. Slash Yache, Haban, or both?
  7. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis Smogon Frontier's Castle Valetis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 16 Champion

Yache only. Haban sucks.

Physdef Gastrodon is way better than spdef.

Refresh on defensive Toed is actually really good, especially against Sun.
  8. alexwolf

alexwolf King of Conquerors
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

• Physically defensive Gastrodon should replace the existing set and the SpD one can just get a mention in AC
    • Analytic should be slashed on the Specs set too on Starmie
    • Agreeing with having only one Sub set for Gengar, with Disable, Pain Split, and WoW all slashed together
    • Agreed on making 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe with Timind the spread on Tentacruel
    • Remove Gravity from the Offensive Pivot set which just makes zero sense. Landorus-T is one of the best SR users so i don't see why you wouldn't want to use SR on it. But, however if you have problems with Breloom Sleep Talk Lando-T makes for a decent check to it so i guess we can either slash it after SR or just mention it in AC. Also Stone Edge should be slashed after HP Ice
    • Life Orb should be a main item on Cloyster as it just helps get too many OHKO/2HKOes. King's Rock is not reliable enough to be a main item, but is good enough for AC. Beating a check/counter 40% of the time is nice and all but unreliable as fuck, and Cloyster is not easy to setup with in the first place
    • An AC mention of Normal Gem + Double Edge in the offensive Dragon Dance set of Gyarados is the right place for it
    • Drop Hypnosis from the defensive set of Polioted to the AC. Also make an AC mention of RestTalk on defensive Politoed which is currently in OO
    • Agreed on making Salac Berry the first item slash on SubSD Terrakion
    Will try to help update the analyses after i am done with Scizor.
  9. Jukain

Jukain fuck macle

LO Cloyster is baaaad. Cloyster takes a hit before setting up and then sets up. King's Rock gives you a 40% chance to do double damage, which averages to greater than 1.4x a boost to your attacks. 40% is GOOD. It's better than Scald, and borderline Jirachi territory. NeverMeltIce exists for consistency. You should have hazards support with Cloyster, and it still gets plenty of KOs.

alex, have you actually used Normal Gem Gyarados? In practice, I've found it extremely good to lure in and kill Rotom-W, as well as other bulky Water-types, except Jellicent. It deserves a slash on offensive DD, which desperately desires this ability to kill it.
  10. Halcyon.

Halcyon. Come on, she's not burned; she's just gone.
    is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Some more things I thought of:

Weather trapper Heatran should come before Scarf in the set order. It's really really good on sun teams, and I definitely think it's more useful than Scarf Heatran. Magma Storm can even beat Dugtrio on the switch, which is the whole reason to use ScarfTran in the first place, isn't it?

Sheer Force Conkeldurr should be the first set in its set order. It's its best set by far, and it's way better than Bulk Up for sure. I think it should go All-Out Attacker / Status Orb / Bulk Up / SubPunch

I think Scarf Latias deserves a set, I think. With Draco Meteor | Psyshock | Healing Wish | Trick / Surf, it can be really useful, albeit weak. Still, the utility it provides is close to that of Scarf Jirachi. I've used it before and it's really good for teams that want a Water / Fire / Grass resist, but also need the support that Healing Wish and Trick provide.

What happened to mixed Venusaur? The Giga Drain / Earthquake/ Hidden Power Ice / Growth set works great on sun teams to lure in Heatran and Dragon types, and can clear the way for a Volcarona sweep.

Knock Off should be mentioned somewhere in the AC for Landorus-T's pivot set, since it forces a lot of switches, and taking out an opponent's item is huge.
    Jaiho likes this.
  11. alexwolf

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Don't even compare King's Rock Cloyster with Jirachi and Scald users. Jirachi and Scald users don't face the risk of dying if they don't get the chance to burn/flinch/paralyze which is the whole point. As i said again, 40% chance to get past a check/counter is just not reliable enough. Also i don't get your point about Cloyster taking a hit to setup and why that makes LO unviable. SD Garchomp and Rain Dance Kingdra carry Life Orb too and they both manage to do just fine with setting up. Of 'course Cloyster has bigger trouble setting up but this is true regardless of Life Orb. On the other hand with Life Orb and potentially rain up, Cloyster can get past most if its checks such as Skarmory, Jirachi, Forretress, and Keldeo.

As for Normal Gem Gyarados i never said that it's not good, just that it's not good enough to need a slash on the main set. LO Double Edge murders 232 HP Rotom-W after SR anyway, as well as most bulky waters, but Normal Gem has the advantage of always KOing Rotom-W after SR and not having recoil.
  12. Jukain

Jukain fuck macle

alex, sorry, I missed the point I meant to make -- it takes the hit, sets up, and is then on a timer with lo, with which it can be stalled, and it's basically a game of 50/50's whether the opponent will shift out or fodder what's in.

I think the lack of recoil is good enough to put Normal Gem as a main slash. Having Gyarados is Mamo, Breloom, or Scizor priority range after using Double-Edge would really suck. Offensive DD Gyarados is very bland and can't get past its typical checks/counters -- Normal Gem Double-Edge gives it a better niche.
  13. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Updated the OP

Note: You don't need my consent to make SCMS changes. Any of the QC members with site staff will review them and cache them.
  14. Agent Gibbs

Agent Gibbs

I'm not on the QC team, but I'd like to weigh in a bit on Terrakion.

First, I'm wondering if Double Dance is even worth a set anymore? Few people even run Rock Polish anymore, much less alongside Swords Dance. I feel that the SubSD set already does a lot of what the Double Dance set does; SD lets Terrakion tear defensive teams apart, while Substitute helps against offensive teams by preventing easy revenge killing. At the very least, I feel that Life Orb should be the main item slash on that set. No one uses Air Balloon on Terrakion, and it really needs the Life Orb boost to beat offensive teams in case it can't get a Swords Dance up. That said, I agree with the current set order except that I think Double Dance needs to go after Scarf if it's kept.

Also, I'd like to bring up the possibility of slashing Earthquake with or before X-Scissor on the Band set. X-Scissor is a lot better on the Scarf set since then Terrakion can actually outspeed and possibly KO Starmie, Espeon, Latios, Latias, and Alakazam, but since these Pokemon naturally outspeed the Band set, Terrakion has to predict a switch-in (unlikely for most of these) to make it worth it. Besides that, the only slower Pokemon it helps with are Celebi and Reuniclus. While it does have use for those, Earthquake is actually pretty good right now. Toxicroak is a pretty good switch-in to even Band Terrakion since the Bulk Up sets are only 3HKO'd by CB Close Combat in Rain, and Earthquake lures those in and OHKOs with ease. It also helps against other common Rain Pokemon such as Tentacruel and Jirachi, letting you hit both harder than either STAB, and if your opponent has both Pokemon, you can hit either with Earthquake without having to predict with the correct STAB move. It's also Terrakion's best bet against rare checks like Nidoqueen and Golurk, which is a nice bonus I suppose.

Just a couple of ideas I've been mulling over lately. I'd just like to see what the QC team thinks.
  15. BKC

BKC

I disagree with removing double dance Terrakion, it is still a terror. However I do agree with getting rid of Air Balloon cause it sucks, Life Orb should be the main item and Fighting Gem deserves a slash or at the very least a mention somewhere. Earthquake on CB sounds good (more useful than X-Scissor at least), Tentacruel is a pain in the ass and Toxicroak isn't too far behind it.
  16. Jukain

Jukain fuck macle

@Rohail is doing Cofagrigus.

I concur with @BKC on Terrakion.
  17. alexwolf

Now that i think about it better, Normal Gem Double Edge does a ton to most bulky Water-types and is strong enough to OHKO plenty of Pokemon while simultaneously activating Moxie which helps Gyarados sweep even without any boosting item. And yeah it's true that Double Edge + LO + potential SR damage puts Gyarados too quickly to prioryt KO range. So i am ok with Double Edge getting a slash on the offensive set and Normal Gem being slashed after LO.
  18. Jukain

Jukain fuck macle

Okay, so it appears we have a consensus. I will SCMS Double-Edge + Normal Gem into offensive DD Gyarados, and AC Return.

Also, apparently we already have Double Dance Gliscor on-site in the form of the AcroBat set, which has the last slash as Substitute / Agility. I'm inclined to drop Substitute to AC, as I've gotten sentiments that Substitute is kind of bad. However, at the very least, Agility should be slashed first. Opinions on this?
  19. ginganinja

ginganinja Dating Haunter
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Agreeing with everthing alexwolf said on post 33(?) except

I never really liked Life Orb on my cloyster. If I wanted a power boost, I would always go Icicle Plate (which IDK, Lee spoke in favour of like a year ago) because 90% of the time, your spamming Icicle Spear. Other than that, I would go for Kings Rock because beating a HARD COUNTER 40% of the time IS GOOD. I wouldn't underrate this, but apparently alexwolf does so guess we need more input on this. I really don't like LO tho.

Agreeing with the Terrakion points.

I never really liked Substitute on AcroBat when SV got hit. Like, you couldn't really stall out Rotom-W as "reliably" as before, and so I prefered Agility, just cos outspeeding a lot of stuff is really cool when your trying to sweep. I still don't think its an amazing set in the meta with Skarmory fairly common now but w/e, still good enough for a set.
  20. Jukain

Jukain fuck macle

NeverMeltIce = Icicle Plate. NeverMeltIce just sounds cooler, lol.

Oh yeah @alexwolf's post:

I will SCMS everything except physically defensive Gastrodon and Cloyster, both of which still require more discussion. Some things have already been done, too.
  21. Alter

Alter let me down easy
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

A friendly reminder for the team to put the Custap Berry in Wobbuffet's main set with Destiny Bond. It was going to be done before but was forgotten after the editing system went down.

Edit: By the way, in the event that the staff change their mind about CustapBond having a separate set, I'd be happy to write it up.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  22. dice

dice RAP GAME GiTTARACKUR
    is a Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arcade Star

@BKC the only reason I often decide to use CB Terrak over any of its other sets is because I need X-Scissor to revenge kill Celebi. Otherwise I would just go with an SD set to wallbreak.
  23. Jukain

Jukain fuck macle

Okay so:

- Remove lol Sleep Powder from Growth Venusaur. Make Sleep Powder + 3 attacks the first set and its own set. Slash HP Ice with HP Fire on both.

We also need to seriously consider Bisharp. Dice think it's cool, and Defiant gives it a boost from Intimidate. STAB Sucker Punch is great too. I think it's worth an analysis. You guys?
  24. alexwolf

I already tried to make a set for it and it got rejected jukain. If something changed and we are considering getting it through QC again then i am all for it. The set i used btw was SD / Sucker Punch / Night Slash / Low Kick, Adamant with 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe.

Also, agreeing that Double Dance Terrakion is still a very potent sweeper, especially under screens and with some HP investment. Babiri Berry and Chople Berry are also fantastic items for it and both deserve at least an AC mention and even a slash on the main set. Keep it as a main set.
  25. Jukain

Jukain fuck macle

Discuss Rhydon for OU analysis imo.
    Magcargo likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)