Primal Battle [Online Competition]

So I started testing out stuff. So far, like Dragonwhale thought: Worry Seed Whimsicott is quite a bit nicer in this metagame compared to Generation Showdown, thanks to stuff like Mega Rayquaza being gone! I expect it to be a potentially common teammate because of this, because screwing over Primal Groudon is pretty huge, plus it messes up Mega Kangaskhan and you can even Worry Seed a teammate to avoid Smeargle's Dark Void!

By the way I highly recommend you all read Smogon's VGC analyses: Pokemon such Mega Kangaskhan and Landorus-T are still great Pokemon!
I never tried it, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think worry seed works on Desolate land and Primordial sea.

Again, I don't play Ubers much, so I could be off. I just assumed as such since these are such Legendary abilities anyway.

But it would be a bit insane to see 2 Pokes capable of destruction of the entire world fall to a freaking Whimsicott >_<

Plus, i imagine even if she got off the Worry Seed with Prankster, she would still get OHKO'ed by either Pulse or Lave Plume unless you used wide guard due to her poor special defense, so it seems like a wasted slot.

Last edited:
I never tried it, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think worry seed works on Desolate land and Primordial sea.

Again, I don't play Ubers much, so I could be off. I just assumed as such since these are such Legendary abilities anyway.

But it would be a bit insane to see 2 Pokes capable of destruction of the entire world fall to a freaking Whimsicott >_<

Plus, i imagine even if she got off the Worry Seed with Prankster, she would still get OHKO'ed by either Pulse or Lave Plume unless you used wide guard due to her poor special defense, so it seems like a wasted slot.
Yeah worry seed works, and prankster stun spore, taunt, and whatever else works very well.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I'm liking the look of this.

So, I'm not sure how most Pokemon would be affected, but I know a template for a team -
- PDon (Basic Doubles Set)
- Life Orb Chloro Lilligant with After You and Leaf Storm (POgre killer)
- POgre (Basic Doubles Set, for PDons)
- Wide Guard Lightningrod Mantine (POgre wall)
- Thick Club Bonemerang Marowak (Hits hard, can kill PDon)
- an ice type

i found myself a really good core:
Scarf-Kyogre ,SwiftSwim Ludicolo and Mega-cloud-9-Altaria

i mainly lead with Kyogre and Ludicolo, but instead of Fake out i switch one of my mons (most likely Ludicolo) to Altaria, because People often switch to Primal Groudon (or keep it on the field), which will now most likely faint to a water attack (Origin Pulse, Water spout or Ludicolos Scald)

And once PGroudon is gone Altaria can Megaevolve and still be a Powerhouse, unlike other Cloud-9 mons like Golduck

Good Teammates would be Primal Groudon and Shedinja, because it basically forces people to run Mons, that can hurt it, and most of them dont like Waterattacks

Last edited:
I'm looking for a bit of advise please. If I plan on bringing a Primal, or both, is it worth using a Pokemon to stop my opponents Ability?
I've been toying with Cresselia skill swap, Whimsicott worry seed, or MGengar to trap and then switch in my own primal to control weather.

I've never used any of those 3 competitively so I'm a bit worried about how fragile MGengar and Whimsicott could be if I lead with them and my opponent held back their primal.

I'm looking for a bit of advise please. If I plan on bringing a Primal, or both, is it worth using a Pokemon to stop my opponents Ability?
I've been toying with Cresselia skill swap, Whimsicott worry seed, or MGengar to trap and then switch in my own primal to control weather.

I've never used any of those 3 competitively so I'm a bit worried about how fragile MGengar and Whimsicott could be if I lead with them and my opponent held back their primal.
Cresselia with Skill Swap wouldn't do much. Even if you got Desolate Land/that one ability with lots of rain and stuff, wouldn't the weather still be up? I mean, you could switch out the Cresselia, but if the Primal isn't trapped then they can switch out too. At that point, it's better to just trap and swap your own Primal. You could lure in a PDon with Whimsicott and POgre on the field, but that requires a really hard read.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Skill Swap isn't meant to nullify the weather. It's meant to control it. For example, I have a Kyogre and Cress up, and the opponent has Groudon up and it's sunny. I skill swap with my own Kyogre to re-activate Primordial Sea (and pass Levitate to Kyogre in the process so now it's immune to Groudon's STABs).

Skill Swap isn't meant to nullify the weather. It's meant to control it. For example, I have a Kyogre and Cress up, and the opponent has Groudon up and it's sunny. I skill swap with my own Kyogre to re-activate Primordial Sea (and pass Levitate to Kyogre in the process so now it's immune to Groudon's STABs).
I hadn't realised skill swap would re-activate the weather. That's really helpful. Thanks!

Woah, that's legit. Thanks.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can someone help me find the page to sign up for this? Damn the PGL site is user-unfriendly.

So this is the team I'm working on atm. Groudon, Jumpluff and Lickilicky are from my Enter the Dragon Team where I did the best I ever have, so bringing them out of retirement to help me out here. Reuniclus takes the place of Dialga for my TRer, but may be replaced by Cress, now that I have just seen Pyritie's kind offer. :) Lanturn is my Kyogre counter, which works pretty well as it deters Origin Pulse even if the partner Pokemon would take serious damage. I chose Lanturn for the SE STAB against Kyogre, but I'm wondering if there might be a better Water Absorb/Storm Drain Pokemon that isn't weak to opposing Groudon. Seems to work well for the moment though. Houndoom is there for sweeping in sun, but has been very underwhelming on showdown as he is unable to reliably switch in unless Jumpluff basically disables the whole field for him. Does anyone have any suggestions on a different Mega? I thought maybe Venusaur, but he might step on Jumpluff's toes a bit. Also Gyarados, but anti-synergy with Desolate Land. Also, I'm guessing Mold Breaker doesn't allow M-Gyarados to hit an opposing P-Groudon?

Groucho (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Fire Punch
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Leona (Jumpluff) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Encore
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Celia (Reuniclus) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 68 SpA / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand
- Psychic
- Light Screen

Thresh (Lanturn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Def / 192 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Protect

Pffbbtt (Lickilicky) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Power Whip

Fenrir (Houndoom) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

Last edited:
So this is the team I'm working on atm. Groudon, Jumpluff and Lickilicky are from my Enter the Dragon Team where I did the best I ever have, so bringing them out of retirement to help me out here. Reuniclus takes the place of Dialga for my TRer, but may be replaced by Cress, now that I have just seen Pyritie's kind offer. :) Lanturn is my Kyogre counter, which works pretty well as it deters Origin Pulse even if the partner Pokemon would take serious damage. I chose Lanturn for the SE STAB against Kyogre, but I'm wondering if there might be a better Water Absorb/Storm Drain Pokemon that isn't weak to opposing Groudon. Seems to work well for the moment though. Houndoom is there for sweeping in sun, but has been very underwhelming on showdown as he is unable to reliably switch in unless Jumpluff basically disables the whole field for him. Does anyone have any suggestions on a different Mega? I thought maybe Venusaur, but he might step on Jumpluff's toes a bit. Also Gyarados, but anti-synergy with Desolate Land. Also, I'm guessing Mold Breaker doesn't allow M-Gyarados to hit an opposing P-Groudon?

Groucho (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Fire Punch
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Leona (Jumpluff) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Encore
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Celia (Reuniclus) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 68 SpA / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand
- Psychic
- Light Screen

Thresh (Lanturn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Def / 192 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Protect

Pffbbtt (Lickilicky) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Power Whip

Fenrir (Houndoom) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
If you're looking for feedbakc, I'll give you a few suggestions:
- Change Jumpluff's STAB. Solarbeam is really risky in a meta where the weather changes every turn lol. Grass Knot / Energy Ball / Seed Bomb maybe?
- Aqua tail > Brick Break on Lickylicky. For Primal Groudon. If you for some reason like brick break, replace Gyro Ball instead.
- Cresselia > Reuniclus (As you said). Unless you implement some form of support in houndoom's slot (fake out etc), I'd probably change its item to mental herb, lum berry, or steal the sitrus berry to help get up TR. It is your only setter, after all...
- Houndoom seems totally out of place IMO. Maybe Kangaskhan for fake out support to get the trick room up?
- Lanturn seems to slow your team down a lot. Since you lose time by setting up trick room, I think your focus should be to deal damage when the room is up. But if it works, then sure. Otherwise, a quiet Kyogre is quite deadly in trick room.

Just some thoughts, GL!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So this starts soon!

Do you guys think it's worth it running both Wide Guard and Protect on Swampert? The alternative to Protect would be Ice Beam, I'm not sure how common Landorus-T and Garchomp will be this time around though. They both do pretty well against Groudon, so I figure they might be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)