Gen 6 Primal Groudon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Except doesn't Xern get Earth Power now? That's gonna kill you regardless.
Xern did not get Earth Power, its best way of being viable and hitting don is with Focus Blast. Before HP Ground arguments come up, FB hits Don for the same amount as HP Ground, only Focus Blast hits other checks quite a bit harder than HP Ground.

Xern did not get Earth Power, its best way of being viable and hitting don is with Focus Blast. Before HP Ground arguments come up, FB hits Don for the same amount as HP Ground, only Focus Blast hits other checks quite a bit harder than HP Ground.
only thing is FB has 70% accuracy, HP 100%
I won't run HP ground but it's viable

This is to respond to a comment that i saw earlier about using offensive pdon to check xern.

1. I know there are not many xern check, i said there are some solid check, meaning relatively few. However, teams that do have these do not neccearily need Pdon to check xern and can go a more offensive approach. You want your offensive Pdon to survive a +2 Focus Blast after SR damage? Well, some people might not want to sacrifice so much power and speed on their offensive pdon, again depending on team. This is why it's not good to use the superlatives all teams, all sets.

2. Ok, I agree that it is leaning toward bulky offense, nevertheless, speed is nice.

3. This doesn't make sense so I won't comment here.

EDIT: ok so i did some calc

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 316-372 (78.2 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Even with max hp you're not guarantee to survive. So the whole purpose of your arguement is for pdon to survive a +2 focus blast needs max hp and some further sdef evs. Even tho the meta may be bulky offense, this does not justify the power reduction or speed loss of offensive pdon. Better to use specially defensive pdon for this purpose and even then it pretty meh as a xern check.

Last edited:
This is to respond to a comment that i saw earlier about using offensive pdon to check xern.

1. I know there are not many xern check, i said there are some solid check, meaning relatively few. However, teams that do have these do not neccearily need Pdon to check xern and can go a more offensive approach. You want your offensive Pdon to survive a +2 Focus Blast after SR damage? Well, some people might not want to sacrifice so much power and speed on their offensive pdon, again depending on team. This is why it's not good to use the superlatives all teams, all sets.

2. Ok, I agree that it is leaning toward bulky offense, nevertheless, speed is nice.

3. This doesn't make sense so I won't comment here.

EDIT: ok so i did some calc

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 316-372 (78.2 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Even with max hp you're not guarantee to survive. So the whole purpose of your arguement is for pdon to survive a +2 focus blast needs max hp and some further sdef evs. Even tho the meta may be bulky offense, this does not justify the power reduction or speed loss of offensive pdon. Better to use specially defensive pdon for this purpose and even then it pretty meh as a xern check.
You're grossly underestimating Pdon's ability to check Xerneas, and that's happening because you aren't using an optimal set. You don't NEED max HP to survive a +2 FB from Xern. This is most likely not the same spread Hack's mentioning, and I'm open to tweaking this later on, but I found that a spread of 80 HP and 176 SpDef can help you survive the blast after rocks. This allows you to invest in other areas, such as some speed to creep other defensive Groudons and Attack to still issue a bite. The greatest scenario would be that Xern sets up a Geomancy in front of your full HP, or at least full after rocks, Groudon and you T-Wave it as he's doing so, which allows you to 2HKO w/ Earthquake or Precipice Blades.

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 80 HP / 176 SpD Groudon: 262-309 (72.5 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

160+ Atk Groudon Earthquake vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 220-259 (52.5 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

160+ Atk Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 264-312 (63 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If someone's going for a bulkier Pdon, neutral 252 HP/48 SpD PDon survives a +2 252 SpA+ FB from Xerneas after SR. On the other side, you only need 12 Atk with a neutral nature to 2HKO 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas w/ EQ after SR (0 Atk is enough if you run Precipice Blades). An Atk+ nature will always 2HKO the 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas after SR w/ EQ.

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 48 SpD Groudon: 300-353 (74.2 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0+ Atk Groudon Earthquake vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 201-237 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

12 Atk Groudon Earthquake vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 184-217 (43.9 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

On the other side, I don't see why would you put 252 SpD+ on a SpD P-don. It doesn't change anything (or I'm missing something). +2 252 SpA+ Xerneas will still 2HKO you w/ FB, 252 SpA+ Giratina-O will still 2HKO you w/ Draco Meteor, and you only need 252 HP / 200 SpD+ to not be 2HKO-ed with a 252 SpA+ P-Ogre w/ HP Ground.

I was thinking about this set :

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 44 Def / 200 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SpD/-Spe)
- Earthquake / Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave / Roar / Toxic

It's basically a bit more versatile version of the SpD Pdon. It does resist the same things on the special side, and it keeps the ability to 2HKO 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas. On the physical side, 252+ Atk Pdon only scores a 2HKO on 252 HP / 36 Def Pdon w/ EQ, which makes also possible a 252 HP / 20 Atk / 36 Def / 200 SpD Pdon. Any feedbak is welcome :)

PS : I'm not english, so my english isn't flawless, sorry ^^

Last edited:

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'll give a few. There are other mons I didnt list but they're usually either gimmicks (like Flygon) or need extra care when switching in.

Support set:
Primary checks: Arceus-Ground, Latias (care for twave/dtail), Latios (see Latias), Giratina-O (requires either Draco Meteor or Earthquake)
Secondary answers: Rayquaza (Mixed. Or if you're man enough (or dumb?) to run Surf), Ho-Oh (if no stone edge), Primal Kyogre (can also be checked by PDon itself unfortunately), Landorus-T (avoid Lava Plume), Yveltal (no Stone Edge)

Double "Dance" PDon:
General check: Arceus-Ground
If coverage move is Dragon Claw: Yveltal, Ho-Oh, Landorus-T, Shaymin-S, Arceus-Grass, Lugia
If coverage move is Stone Edge: Giratina-O, Latias, Latios, Arceus-Grass, Lugia (to some extent), Landorus-T
If coverage move is Fire Punch: Giratina-O, Latias, Latios, Ho-Oh (to some extent - +2 Fire Punch does a LOT), Rayquaza

RP 3 Attacks:
General checks: Arceus-Ground, Lugia, Giratina-O
If the attacks are PBlade/Stone Edge/Fire Punch or Overheat: Latias, Latios,
If the attacks are PBlade/Dragon Claw/Fire move: Lugia, Ho-Oh, bulky Yveltal
If the attacks are PBlade/Dragon Claw/Stone Edge: Arceus-Grass, regular Groudon (lol), Landorus-T. Just use whatever you used to check the old RPDon, minus water moves.

Swords Dance 3 attacks:
General checks: Get something with >306 speed and strong special moves. Lati@s is a good example. Also Arceus-Ground
Other note: If you're slower than it you'll probably die

I'll give a few. There are other mons I didnt list but they're usually either gimmicks (like Flygon) or need extra care when switching in.

Support set:
Primary checks: Arceus-Ground, Latias (care for twave/dtail), Latios (see Latias), Giratina-O (requires either Draco Meteor or Earthquake)
Secondary answers: Rayquaza (Mixed. Or if you're man enough (or dumb?) to run Surf), Ho-Oh (if no stone edge), Primal Kyogre (can also be checked by PDon itself unfortunately), Landorus-T (avoid Lava Plume), Yveltal (no Stone Edge)

Double "Dance" PDon:
General check: Arceus-Ground
If coverage move is Dragon Claw: Yveltal, Ho-Oh, Landorus-T, Shaymin-S, Arceus-Grass, Lugia
If coverage move is Stone Edge: Giratina-O, Latias, Latios, Arceus-Grass, Lugia (to some extent), Landorus-T
If coverage move is Fire Punch: Giratina-O, Latias, Latios, Ho-Oh (to some extent - +2 Fire Punch does a LOT), Rayquaza

RP 3 Attacks:
General checks: Arceus-Ground, Lugia, Giratina-O
If the attacks are PBlade/Stone Edge/Fire Punch or Overheat: Latias, Latios,
If the attacks are PBlade/Dragon Claw/Fire move: Lugia, Ho-Oh, bulky Yveltal
If the attacks are PBlade/Dragon Claw/Stone Edge: Arceus-Grass, regular Groudon (lol), Landorus-T. Just use whatever you used to check the old RPDon, minus water moves.

Swords Dance 3 attacks:
General checks: Get something with >306 speed and strong special moves. Lati@s is a good example. Also Arceus-Ground
Other note: If you're slower than it you'll probably die
You have no idea how much this helps. I've been annhilated so many times by P-G, because my main check was Primal Kyogre. I'll start implementing these right away. Thank you!

does Precipe Blades do more damage than Fire Punch under Desolate Land?

I figured that nobody really runs Fire+Ground coverage over Ground+Rock coverage which seems unrelyable because Stone Miss always misses.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
Evs: 252 Spd, 252 SpA, 4 Attack
Timid/Modest Nature
-Fire Blast
-Solarbeam
- Earth Power/Precipice Blades
-Stone Edge/Stealth Rock/Dragon Claw
A lot of Pdons switch ins are primarily physically defensive pokemon, and this set aims to fry them with a fire blast in sun off a base 150 special attack, meaning this thing hits almost as Hard as charizard Y! However, this set loses to Primal Kyogre soooo yeah

I wonder what is the optimal set for Offensive Stealth Rock PDon. I really dislike those Jolly 4/252/252 sets though. Any feedback?

I find it interesting that people are using hp ground kyogre and I've recently seen grass knot geo many xerneas to try and deal with this thing.

The EVs given in the OP for rock polish don't allow Primaldon to survive geomancy'd focus blast after a SR at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)