Priority to Victory: RMT @ #3 on OU ladder

Looking at the ideas behind this team, you have major trouble against any competent hail player, whether they're running offense or stall. Any decent hail team is going to have two solid counters to Terrakion, Breloom, other fighting moves, etc. (it's not mono-ice). The guy you played in the hail replay you posted was laughably incompetent, like I was almost screaming at him through my monitor. I like the idea of Rain Dance on Starmie, perhaps go with that. If I was playing this team I'd probably be willing to sac Abomasnow or at least play very loose with him since you don't have a weather setter, so you could probably screw up hail teams with that.

More generally you have major problems with stall. You have some heavy hitters, but no set-up sweepers outside of Scizor (who you've handicapped with bad coverage by running U-Turn, although I understand your reasoning). Understand that every stall team is fully aware that they're going to need to be able to take hits from stronger pokemon than what you have on your team so a well constructed stall team is probably going to mess you up. I'd suggest some sort of stallbreaker mon - perhaps the Sub-Hone Claws Kyurem-B that was running around earlier? As far as who to replace, I'm not really sure what you use Alakazam for, so that would be my gut feeling, although if you really need him for the special side of things then maybe Scizor.
Thanks man I appreciate the rate and ya I pretty much agree with everything you stated. And ya that hail replay wasn't a good battle at all you just see so few hail teams running around, but nonetheless everyone seems to agree alakazam is dead weight and I do need something to counter stall. Scizor is staying simply because its too good. THe damage output of bullet punch unboosted with just the iron plate still tears holes in plenty of common OU pokemon such as lati@s, lando, venasaur, etc. not to mention its utility in dealing with mamo, any dragon for that matter, ttar...etc. you know scizor usefulness. I think I'm going to drop alakazam for a stall breaker maybe cm rachi or like you said said hone claw kyurem b. Really my own stubborn self has kept me from changing it around till now but after reladdering many times under different names I've realized stall is what is stopping this team from being #1. Then again, it is nearly impossible to cover all angles though kazam does seem like deadweight, I'll put a stallbreaker in and see how that goes. Thanks again

Hi!

I would have liked seen you playing against Sandstall. That opponent was making a couple questionable and risky plays but w/e.

I wanted to clarify my suggestion on Lum Berry Scizor, as I did leave it rather vague. The role Lum Berry Scizor plays is not to "accidentally" switch into a Jellicent or Rotom-W's Will-O-Wisp, but to sweep past them(with a prior SD) and clear the way for something else to rampage through your opponent's team. My EV spread is currently as follows:

Scizor (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Technician
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

The Speed investment allows you to outspeed all common Jellicent and Rotom-W, and be able to get an extra boost under your belt(if they miss, even better for you), and continue to break holes in the opposing team. It should be noted that this would change Scizor's role from a bluff and late game sweeper to a very nice late game sweeper, who also softens teams up for Mamoswine, and enabling it to get past things it usually wouldn't. I'd recommend trying this change, however, the raw power that Iron Plate equips Scizor with might be something you might miss against revenge killing threats on more offensive teams.

I just played with this team for a while. Scizor is a huge threat to this team. I would switch psychic for HP Fire on starmie, and also change hydro pump to surf. Misses with hydro pump really mess up everything, and surf isn't too much weaker.

Iron fist doesn't feel like it does much on Scizor, I would put leftovers on him or lum berry.

Alakazam was either really good or did nothing. As much as I like him I think he needs to be replaced by someone who can do a little more. Maybe CM Jirachi or trick room reuniclus.

Hi!

I would have liked seen you playing against Sandstall. That opponent was making a couple questionable and risky plays but w/e.

I wanted to clarify my suggestion on Lum Berry Scizor, as I did leave it rather vague. The role Lum Berry Scizor plays is not to "accidentally" switch into a Jellicent or Rotom-W's Will-O-Wisp, but to sweep past them(with a prior SD) and clear the way for something else to rampage through your opponent's team. My EV spread is currently as follows:

Scizor (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Technician
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

The Speed investment allows you to outspeed all common Jellicent and Rotom-W, and be able to get an extra boost under your belt(if they miss, even better for you), and continue to break holes in the opposing team. It should be noted that this would change Scizor's role from a bluff and late game sweeper to a very nice late game sweeper, who also softens teams up for Mamoswine, and enabling it to get past things it usually wouldn't. I'd recommend trying this change, however, the raw power that Iron Plate equips Scizor with might be something you might miss against revenge killing threats on more offensive teams.
Ahh a fine suggestion sorry I didn't address it earlier I could see lum being a nice surprise on those switches as you mentioned im not sure how the power output will be without that iron plate if a boost is unable to be obtained ill try it out and see how it goes man thank you

I just played with this team for a while. Scizor is a huge threat to this team. I would switch psychic for HP Fire on starmie, and also change hydro pump to surf. Misses with hydro pump really mess up everything, and surf isn't too much weaker.

Iron fist doesn't feel like it does much on Scizor, I would put leftovers on him or lum berry.

Alakazam was either really good or did nothing. As much as I like him I think he needs to be replaced by someone who can do a little more. Maybe CM Jirachi or trick room reuniclus.
Thank for the rate man and psychic was chosen because bulk up conk with mach punch was a problem because hes so bulky on the physical side and I had no super effective moves and all the priority is physical. Iron fist is there to bluff a choice set as well as giving some additional damage output. Victini above you suggested the lum set I'm guna try that out and increase scizors speed and ya alakzam, that spot in general rather anyone can take. Today I went 47-15 (keep in mind nearly all games under 20 turns) with an archeops in that spot lol under newbadplayer24 and got to 1855 so ya I'm still tryna find that perfect 6th spot. Thanks man

Thank for the rate man and psychic was chosen because bulk up conk with mach punch was a problem because hes so bulky on the physical side and I had no super effective moves and all the priority is physical. Iron fist is there to bluff a choice set as well as giving some additional damage output. Victini above you suggested the lum set I'm guna try that out and increase scizors speed and ya alakzam, that spot in general rather anyone can take. Today I went 47-15 (keep in mind nearly all games under 20 turns) with an archeops in that spot lol under newbadplayer24 and got to 1855 so ya I'm still tryna find that perfect 6th spot. Thanks man
I just don't see how you can stop scizor. Mamo can't switch in, terrakion can't switch in, alakazam can't switch in, starmie can switch in but even if hydro pump hits it's a 2hko, and starmie dies to 3 bullet punches. Breloom can come in and get off a mach punch, but that won't kill it.

Why don't you take out alakazam and use that slot for your Conkledurr counter, and then get HP fire on starmie? Or keep psychic on starmie and make your alakazam replacement a Scizor counter?

edit: Forretress also is really a pain. I think you need some sort of fire move. If you keep alakazam, put HP fire on him instead of HP ice. You have mamo and starmie with ice moves, that should be good enough.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Teams like these are always fun to use and you built a pretty solid one.

One thing I immediately noticed is that your alakazam is mild. you really shouldn't use anything other than Modest or Timid. Being able to take less damage from random rapid spins or weaker mach punches and then living an attack with low hp will definitely prove to be useful if you switch your nature. The only instance a -def nature would be useful for would be when you have counter and want to take maximum damage from something.

Additionally, I think that you should replace psychic on starmie with psyshock. It is a much better answer to CM keldeo and gives you a move to hit Blissey and other specially defensive pokemon harder with. More defensive teams are annoying for you to face and having anything that can break stall a bit better will be useful.

Hope I helped and good luck.

it is interesting that you use mamoswine on a team focused on priority but choose jolly over adamant. why's that?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How do you deal with stall? Your only setup Pokemon, Breloom and Terrakion, are easily walled by common defensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Glsicor, Hippowdon, and Celebi, while everything else is easy to wall for stall teams.

Interesting team. I'm glad to be one of your only losses. I remember beating this team because it caught me off guard that everything had a Focus Sash, except Starmie. I honestly thought the Scizor was Sash'd, too.

I was using a team of Lanturn, Cresselia, Azelf, Heatran, Garchomp, and Scizor if you remember.

it is interesting that you use mamoswine on a team focused on priority but choose jolly over adamant. why's that?
Lork, Jolly nature is there to outspeed things like Lucario and Breloom, which are very dangerous should Mamoswine have its sash broken by something else beforehand.

Sorry it took so long to reply Ive been off showdown for a while, but Ill address all previous comments in this post.

Souji Seta: haha I play a lot of games so I don't exactly remember specific teams, but if you did in fact beat me with that team then props man

Lork: ya Jolly mamo is there mainly to outpace opposing mamos and brelooms

Chimpakt: the alakazam mild is a typo haha idk why thats there but ya I usually run timid or modest..standard alakazam

As for the many people questioning this tams ability to face stall I'll address that now. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3479938 . OU metagame analysis for february, the march one just came out when I find the link I'll put it in here somewhere. If you look at the OU metagame analysis, only 3.7% of all teams are dedicated stall teams. Semi-stall is in there somewhere around 5% but you can clearly see an extremely small portion of smogon users are playing stall oriented teams. When building this team, the sole focus was to ladder to top 20 and have a solid record for the team, not to cover all weaknesses because that is impossible. There are simply too many variant teams to run to cover all possible. I understand this team has a pretty bad weakness to stall and I've switched out kazam for some stallbreakers, yet the results have yielded the same if not worse. The amount of games that stallbreaker kyurem and reuniclus actually saved me against stall teams was so few because I rarely face stall teams. Evident by the fact that only 3% of teams are actually stall based. Against all other teams bar the even rarer trick room teams, this team does absolutely fine.

The single biggest threat to the team is scizor because as stated there are no safe switch ins except for my own scizor. 1 outta ever 5 teams are running the steel bug so its a very common site. It's very easy to play against a scizor in this metagame its either bullet punching or U turning. Since people dont know mamo and all these shits are sashed, a lot of times theyll hit U turn when faced against mamo and Ill be able to get off an EQ dealing massive damage. Coupled with rocks, scizor doesnt survive coming back. If they opt to bullet punch then ya mamo goes to 1%, they still lose a fat chunk of health and then I just switch to my scizor. The same applies to alakzam getting off a focus blast and then switching, etc. There are different ways to play against it you just have to be smart.

And Icicle crash flinch hax have won me a fight or two against skarm so its great. :) Haha but really I find icicle crash sufficient evnough without having to worry about getting 4-5 hits to equal damage output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)