Sports Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A shaky, botched fill start to the show and an awkward crowd had me worried that this was going to be a dud, but things picked right back up mid way through and the Women's match absolutely stole the show.

Bull Dempsey vs Baron Corbin really killed the crowd. Don't make a match No DQ if you're not going to use the stipulation. Certainly don't pop the crowd by going under the ring for a weapon, come out with fuck all, and then brawl for 5 minutes if you're not going anywhere with it.

Owens vs Zayn was methodical, brutal and uncomfortable. I've seen comparisons to Lesnar vs Cena at Summerslam and I think it's a good one. Great storytelling. Kill Owens Kill.

he did

Women's match really was fantastic. Everyone looked strong, there was psychology, storytelling and some real emotion on display. Some of the spots were great too. The smark in me knew that Sasha was deservedly winning it, but there were a lot of moments where I marked out and thought there could be an upset, a highlight being the Bayley-to-Belly off the top rope. I loved the finish and thought that, along with the finish to Zayn vs Owens, showed that perhaps NXT is heading down a more legitimate route with regards to how matches are going to play out.

It absolutely makes sense that Charlotte would be too exhausted to kick out of a pin after being locked into a submission for that long. It absolutely makes sense for a title to change hands if a wrestler is beaten to the point that he can't continue. These are the kind of things that move wrestling forward as a believable product.

To sum up, the first half was by far the worst of any NXT special so far, but the final act was phenomenal and more than made up for it. Still better than the main product, still compelling television, still the only thing keeping me interested in WWE besides the Seth Rollins dick pic scandal, and that's pretty worrying considering Wrestlemania is a month away.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
A shaky, botched fill start to the show and an awkward crowd had me worried that this was going to be a dud, but things picked right back up mid way through and the Women's match absolutely stole the show.

Bull Dempsey vs Baron Corbin really killed the crowd. Don't make a match No DQ if you're not going to use the stipulation. Certainly don't pop the crowd by going under the ring for a weapon, come out with fuck all, and then brawl for 5 minutes if you're not going anywhere with it.

Owens vs Zayn was methodical, brutal and uncomfortable. I've seen comparisons to Lesnar vs Cena at Summerslam and I think it's a good one. Great storytelling. Kill Owens Kill.

he did

Women's match really was fantastic. Everyone looked strong, there was psychology, storytelling and some real emotion on display. Some of the spots were great too. The smark in me knew that Sasha was deservedly winning it, but there were a lot of moments where I marked out and thought there could be an upset, a highlight being the Bayley-to-Belly off the top rope. I loved the finish and thought that, along with the finish to Zayn vs Owens, showed that perhaps NXT is heading down a more legitimate route with regards to how matches are going to play out.

It absolutely makes sense that Charlotte would be too exhausted to kick out of a pin after being locked into a submission for that long. It absolutely makes sense for a title to change hands if a wrestler is beaten to the point that he can't continue. These are the kind of things that move wrestling forward as a believable product.

To sum up, the first half was by far the worst of any NXT special so far, but the final act was phenomenal and more than made up for it. Still better than the main product, still compelling television, still the only thing keeping me interested in WWE besides the Seth Rollins dick pic scandal, and that's pretty worrying considering Wrestlemania is a month away.
I can agree with basically everything here. I was really worried after watching the first three matches because I left like the overall atmosphere was gonna go to shit. Itami vs Breeze was okay but there was just nothing special about the match. The GTS tease felt forced because of the lack of build-up for it. I see the potential for the two of them to have chemistry, but they just didn't click last night. Breeze's heel work cracked me up though. The FUCKING SELFIE STICK OH MY FUCK LOL. That was brilliant. I'm definitely okay with Breeze's progression, but worried about Itami. Overall: **3/4

Corbin v Dempsey was definitely the, how would you say...fluffiest No DQ match I've ever seen. Dempsey botched a shitload and Corbin was well...Corbin was actually okay. It takes two to tango, though, and I hope this feud is over because I'm tired of Bull. They didn't even use the chair properly. =\ Overall: 3/4*

I am actually so happy Blake/Murphy vs Lucha Dragons happened the way it did. There were so many botches I was actually breaking down in laughter. You know for a FACT the entirety of that match is going to appear in a future Botchamania episode. In defense of Blake/Murphy, I felt like they were trying to go for damage control after how hard LD were both botching. I expect a minimum of 2 botches a match for Sin Cara but seeing Kalisto that sloppy was surprising. That giant reversal spot nearly had me in tears. This will definitely go down as a match that is so bad it's good, but hey, Sin Cara's one-arm powerbomb was impressive. Overall: * (Would be 1/2* but I added another 1/2* for the sake of humour).

Finn Balor vs Adrian Neville...the match that got them signed...didn't play out exactly like I thought it did. I was expecting a super technical match involving a good 10-12 minutes of flippy shit, crazy reversals, and intense psychology. I probably should not have had super high expectations for this match, though, considering they had the "WWE-style" handicap and there was no actual story for this. It was still a fun match. Both of these men have proved that they can wrestle the WWE style and still be super entertaining. Yes, Balor came out in the same paint as last time, but we should not have expected him to mix it up. This is meant to be an "alternate forme" of Balor and it helps add to his match psychology. I thoroughly enjoy this match and I can't wait for Balor's eventual title match against Owens. The Demon vs the Psychopath....oh baby. Overall: ***1/2

The Women's match...holy crap this was a fun match. From start to finish I was hooked on this. Everyone involved in this bout did what they were supposed to do. No one looked weak in this, even Becky Lynch, who was the least likely to win this. Bayley had some great spots against everyone, Becky cemented herself as a future titleholder/contender, Charlotte looked strong despite the finish, and Sasha...on my god Sasha. I remember people talking about how Charlotte was improving quickly in a short span of time, but Sasha is improving even faster and better. I genuinely think Sasha is the best female wrestler in NXT, and maybe even the best in the entire company. Her match with Charlotte at R Evolution proved that she can definitely hold her own in the ring, but this match really proved what she's capable of. I really wish this match had a bit more time to it because I could then give it a better rating. It still wasn't a super amazing match because even though I still fully enjoyed it, it didn't absolutely break the barrier and really WOW me like the Charlotte vs Natalya match. Bayley desperately needs a new finisher, and although this didn't affect the match rating for me, Becky needs a better theme if she's going to be a heel. Overall: ****

Now we're at the main event, Sami Zayn vs Kevin Owens. While many people were touting this to be a MOTY leading up to it, I honestly didn't think it would be. These two are too early in their feud to put on a match as emotional as that. let's take a look at the Zayn v Neville match from R Evolution. That match was a perfect end to their feud. The build-up of that match made for a very intense and emotional event, and was booked brilliantly. Now let's come back to the present day, where we have a match that is built up from a two month feud. With that in mind, it was a fun beat down. It was somewhat similar to Lesnar/Cena in how it played out, but with a much better booked ending. Zayn constantly putting up a fight. Kicking out the way he did in the last pin attempt. Owens tore him apart, and it was exactly what I wanted. The best part of it all is that the WWE accomplished two amazing things here. They have planted the seeds in having Owens be a psychotic monster while at the same time being real enough to be truly intimidating (psycho heels are much better in my eyes than simple monster heels) and they made Zayn look incredibly sympathetic. A man that no matter what still wanted to believe that there was something there in that friendship, even after everything that had happened. It's a beautiful start to a feud that could run for a looooooong time, if Sami doesn't get called up too quickly that is. Overall: ***3/4

I am more excited than I ever have been for NXT's programming, which is great because my excitement for WWE's main roster is quickly dwindling.

Sami/Kevin, the first match I've seen in about 11-12 years that made me wanna jump into my screen, pop out in the arena and slap the referee into stopping the damn match.(For the record, the other one was Eddie Guerrero/JBL @ Judgement Day '04)

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sami/Kevin, the first match I've seen in about 11-12 years that made me wanna jump into my screen, pop out in the arena and slap the referee into stopping the damn match.(For the record, the other one was Eddie Guerrero/JBL @ Judgement Day '04)
I was super happy with that finish. Zayn was KO'd, which I really hope ends up being Owens's gimmick. If so, he's going to be a great addition to the roster.

The thought scares me everyday, and not just for him, but for everyone. ;~;
You and me both man. You and me both. I'm almost praying something happens to Neville that causes him never to get called up because I'm mortified at the thought of him being booked like crap on the main show.

Switching gears, BULLET CLUB BAY-BAY!

Camden

Hey, it's me!
You and me both man. You and me both. I'm almost praying something happens to Neville that causes him never to get called up because I'm mortified at the thought of him being booked like crap on the main show.

Switching gears, BULLET CLUB BAY-BAY!
Remember the Might Mouse rumours? I'm still scared over those.

Man, I haven't watched The New Beginning yet. Gonna watch it all this weekend (hopefully).

Remember the Might Mouse rumours? I'm still scared over those.

Man, I haven't watched The New Beginning yet. Gonna watch it all this weekend (hopefully).
I cry over the Mighty Mouse rumors.

And power to you man lol I'll be running spots this weekend for my local indy.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
Training atm so I'm doing all the young-boy things like setting-up the ring and taking bumps for the main-card guys when they wanna work on something.
I can really respect that. If you don't mind me asking, what promotion are you working for? Even if it's a small one, I may have heard of it.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
No problemo man, though it's really small - it's Philippine Wrestling Revolution.
Oh wow, that's a relatively new promotion, but you know what? That's still awesome. Keep at it man. It'll be rough at first but I'm sure in due time it'll feel rewarding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)