Sports Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

Like I posted on the OTHER forum, do you think the video shown during Del Rio's entrance is for a new Superstar? Diva? Personally, I think it has something to do with WrestleMania, the Undertaker, and Kane.

Apparently Chris Jericho was spotted in the Nashville Airport today, and Raw is there tonight. Jericho said on Twitter it was a look a like.

On a side-note, I am real happy with all the current champs in WWE.

On another side-note, this brought a tear to my eye.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Man, I'm glad that Kharma came back. That was easily the best moment of the Royal Rumble for me, simply because I didn't expect it at all. Her landing the Implant Buster (AKA the super-pedigree) on Dolph Ziggler was awesome too.

Also, I definitely hope that Jericho faces the Undertaker at Wrestlemania. That would be awesome considering Undertaker can finally have a Wrestlemania match with someone he hasn't faced at the event (since for the past 2 years he's been facing repeats).

Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan (if Daniel Bryan keeps his title at Elimination Chamber, which I assume he will), should be absolutely awesome. When those two are on their A-game, they can churn out some amazing matches (most of the time Sheamus is just squashing people and doing the same 5 moves, but as he showed against Jericho, he's actually damn good in the ring, especially for someone his size).

Also, Daniel Bryan is an amazing heel IMO. He even has the correct initials for douchebag. xD

wwe is shit

way to completely kill jericho's character to the point of no return...punk vs jericho writes itself, jericho NEEDED this rumble win after claiming the end of the world and that it will be the end of the world as we know it. it was used as a tool to get buyrates and obviously had no real plan - nothing happened at the rumble. he came in, did decent, got eliminated, ppv ends

if kharma was back, she should have been the "she" that jericho has been talking about

the whc was awful and ended on a botch, hence the filler match/promo (really 10 minutes of rock vs cena promos). that win did nothing for bryan to progress him - he won cleanly. not sneakily

the wwe title match was the best match on the card but it reaaaaaaaally suffered from having ziggler look like an idiot. punk beat him cleanly 4 times in 1 match. really buried him there.

the rumble showcased a few awful things. ill say them here:
- lack of talent. this was the most apparent thing. i marked out for some returns (road dogg and kharma), groaned at some (king, cole, khali all terrible) but really you look at this rumble and it had almost no star power at all. the only big names that weren't surprise returns were miz/orton/sheamus/jericho/big show. rhodes is the best active talent tbh but they wont let him do anything (although he had a great showing in the rumble itself). ziggler is not at a main event level yet. barrett is constantly buried (eliminated by orton after he was out for like 2 minutes). the amount of jobbers/guests in this rumble was simply astounding. 5 big names, maybe 5-7 midcarders, the rest just jobbers/guests. pathetic. (it was slightly better than 95 though, and i believe 97 had to hire mexicans to fill out the 30 men but this was still awful)

- some guys need to stop joining these. big show for one (did anyone see that huge groan and disappointment when he was 30? i think most people expected christian/undertaker/kane/cena) came in to squash 3 midcarders who could be big stars (miz/rhodes/ziggler) and immediately tossed them out like jokes. khali was terrible as well.

- wwe promotion makes no sense. i already lamented on jerichos stupid end of the world but really, the promotion of this rumble made no sense. they promoted it as "FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER ANYONE CAN ENTER". yet all it ammounted too was more legends than normal and ziggler/show. what the fuck? where were kane/the champions? legends and people who lost earlier in the night enter all the time (it happened just last year!). stupid booking

- the spacing of the real stars made no sense. all the popular faces came out at the very end. the rest were mostly jobbers, midcarders, or legends. this made no sense at all and it made the majority of the rumble kind of boring because i knew there was no way any of these guys would win (my picks to win it were sheamus/jericho/orton/cm punk, 3/4 came within the last 8 guys and punk didnt even enter).

now i did like some things. ricardo was funny, sock vs cobra was funny, kofis spot was amazing. but all in all this was a bad ppv and it ruined jericho's character which had finally gotten me interested in wrestling again. i wont be watching until wrestlemania

I read thru the last couple pages of this thread and have no clue about 90% of the names you guys are talking about lol. I watched wrestling up until I was maybe 14-15 and have only tuned in to watch Undertaker in Wrestlemania and some royal rumbles. I got really sick of WWE once Cena became the new Rock. Cena never did anything for me. He couldn't light up a crowd like the Rock or Stone Cold could, and he never had the presence of Lesnar, Kane, Undertaker, etc. And he never had any ability in the ring. So yeah I don't like Cena lol.

Smackdown will be in my town on the 24th of March though and I'm probably going to go just because it's something I wanted to do as a kid. I gotta catch up by then hahah.

wwe is shit

way to completely kill jericho's character to the point of no return...punk vs jericho writes itself, jericho NEEDED this rumble win after claiming the end of the world and that it will be the end of the world as we know it. it was used as a tool to get buyrates and obviously had no real plan - nothing happened at the rumble. he came in, did decent, got eliminated, ppv ends
I actually think it's exactly the opposite. Shaemus NEEDED the Rumble win, Jericho and Punk can happen with or without it.

Jericho's character wasn't really ruined either. Remember he's not psychic. He said it'll be 'the end of the world as we know it' because he THOUGHT he was gonna win. His plan, presumably, was to win the Royal Rumble and challenge CM Punk. He failed, so in frustration/plan B he attacked Punk on Raw. This will probably all be cleared up within the next few weeks.

Also the world heavyweight title match was that short because Mark Henry is injured to my understanding.

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There wouldn't happen to be a wwe channel on IRC is there? So we could maybe discuss the events as they're happening

CM Punk vs Chris Jericho
Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan
John Cena vs The Rock
Triple H vs The Undertaker

those are confirmed for Wrestlemania so far

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
looks like a decent card on the strength of those four matches alone. looking forward to it because my friend's a wrestling journalist and i'm going up to Glasgow with him to watch the ICW event which is followed immediately by Wrestlemania. odds are i'll be off my face by 2am and miss half of 'Mania but tbh i'm more excited about the indy stuff anyway.

So I've been watching Wrestling over the past few weeks.

It's lost it.

It's mostly talking. You used to be able to see matches without a pay per view but now you pretty much have to buy the PPV to watch wrestling. I swear there are 3 matches MAYBE 4 in that two hour span -_-

And out of the matches, at least two off them are getting interfered with. The commentators are shit. Bickering about Smackdown vs Raw.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
yeah, i only ever watch the WWE/TNA PPVs now, occasionally glancing over PWtorch to catch up with any storyline developments that are in the least bit interesting (which isn't too many unfortunately)

if you want to skip all the bullshit and just watch great matches you're better off with ROH or PWG

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Y'know, the sad thing is that the March 8th edition of Superstars had more actual wrestling time than RAW did...and the matches on Superstars were much better too.

Seriously on Superstars, Kofi Kingston vs. Dolph Ziggler got almost 20 minutes of match time, and was easily a match of the year candidate, and Heath Slater vs. Justin Gabriel was the best match both guys have put on in their entire time in WWE, getting about 12 minutes. Jinder Mahal vs. Ted DiBiase was okay, but unfortunately Ted DiBiase got injured somewhere during the match (I couldn't really tell where, but it looked like it was at the very end of the match). Even that one got about 7 minutes.

I swear that RAW had only maybe 20 minutes of actual wrestling on it, and that's really sad because they have 2 hours while Superstars really only has 45 minutes...

Honestly, I'm finding Smackdown to be much more bearable since it has a lot more wrestling and less quiet talking like RAW has. Unfortunately, Smackdown does have the tendency to spend a lot of time recapping the stuff with John Cena on RAW...

It is a little sad that the world championship feuds are being treated like the equivalent of midcard feuds from a few years ago though.

With how much they're building up The Rock vs. John Cena match, I really hope I'm not the only one who thinks this match is going to be a disappointment no matter what they do. The only thing that could save it is if John Cena turns heel AT WrestleMania, but that's probably never going to happen because WWE seems to have stuck themselves in a hole with the John Cena character and is having a really hard time getting out of it...

Instead, they're apparently trying everything they can to get a 50/50 reaction for The Rock and John Cena. In The Rock's hometown of all places. At most they're going to get a 50/50 between "fuck you Cena" and "you can't wrestle."

It wasn't too bad until The Rock started showing up regularly, but now him and Cena take up a huge majority of the show, leaving the rest of the roster having five minute matches stuck inbetween. CM Punk and Chris Jericho are the two best wrestlers in the company right now, and even their championship feud is just being completely overshadowed by Rock/Cena. They're even really boring and repetitive to listen to (I've lost count of how many times Rock has called Cena a bitch just to get a cheap pop).

If WWE had the sense to stop pushing the classic stars to the heavens (Trips vs Taker is arguably the second biggest match on the WM card -_-) and give more of the limelight to future stars such as Ziggler, Rhodes, and JINDER MAHAL, then things would be a whole lot better. I mean Rock isn't even bringing the ratings this time, so why persist with him?

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
It wasn't too bad until The Rock started showing up regularly, but now him and Cena take up a huge majority of the show, leaving the rest of the roster having five minute matches stuck inbetween. CM Punk and Chris Jericho are the two best wrestlers in the company right now, and even their championship feud is just being completely overshadowed by Rock/Cena. They're even really boring and repetitive to listen to (I've lost count of how many times Rock has called Cena a bitch just to get a cheap pop).

If WWE had the sense to stop pushing the classic stars to the heavens (Trips vs Taker is arguably the second biggest match on the WM card -_-) and give more of the limelight to future stars such as Ziggler, Rhodes, and JINDER MAHAL, then things would be a whole lot better. I mean Rock isn't even bringing the ratings this time, so why persist with him?
I completely agree, especially on the fact that Rock and Cena are boring as hell. I was really looking forward to Jericho vs. Punk promos, but they haven't had nearly as many as I thought they would, and have instead been in a bunch of tag matches.

Triple H vs Taker isn't just arguably the second biggest match on the WM card, I heard it actually is going to be the match before Rock vs. Cena. So basically the world championships are going to be the 3rd and 4th biggest matches on the card, which is lame.

As for pushing newer guys, Jinder Mahal did seem to be getting a bit of a push a couple of months ago when he was "feuding" with Sheamus. I put feuding in quotes because Jinder Mahal literally didn't win a single match in the feud and looked extremely weak. That's one big problem I find with WWE nowadays. The heels lose ALL THE TIME. I like Jinder Mahal since he's a fellow Canadian and really good in the ring, but he really needs to stop doing entire promos in punjabi, and give the crowd a reason to care about him, because during the live shows, they can't pipe in cheers for him and there's literally complete silence.

The only strongly booked heels in the past while have been Daniel Bryan and...Daniel Bryan. While he doesn't always have clean finishes on television, he always seems to win cleanly on PPV at least. They had a good thing going with Mark Henry, but then they put him against the Big Show and completely ruined his credibility.

Rhodes seems to at least be getting a nice consistent push though. As of today he's been Intercontinental champion for 213 days (though he doesn't defend it much) and he's getting to defend it at WrestleMania against Big Show who's fresh off the main-event scene. And the feud has at least been entertaining too. xD There's also a rumor that a stipulation is going to be added to the match, so hopefully it's something that gives Rhodes a memorable WrestleMania match.

Honestly lol, I think WWE realized that they made a huge mistake by announcing the Rock vs. Cena match a year in advance (basically ensuring that Cena was going to be in the main event the whole year no matter what), but realized that they'd receive a lot of backlash if they cancelled it, so they're forced to go with it.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
JINDER MAHAL

just dropped into say cody rhodes will be buried and so will dolph ziggler with whatever he is doing because wwe is total ass at making new 'superstars' and it doesn't help wade barrett is injured now too, he was supposedly gonna win MITB but oh well.

only looking forward to jericho/punk. rock/cena is a victim of its own hype and won't live up to it, and not to mention the match itself will be shitty. when hbk announced he was the ref, he was teasing he won't help hhh out, and i would believe that if this was any other match but we all know taker is going 20-0 and that's why taker WM matches all suck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)