Problems connecting to Shoddy Battle? Check for Trojans.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Currently quite a few people seem to be infected with a trojan that is making it impossible to connect to Shoddy Battle. Symptoms include attempts to access the Shoddy Battle site bringing up a Google search page.

Here are the steps (with screenshots) for Windows XP users to check for infection. Please I am not in a position to help anyone with disinfecting and neither is Colin.

ncpa.cpl

when i try to open it it says java starting then goes to a message that says unable to launch application.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Did you check for the virus? It doesn't make it obvious that you are infected.

Did you check for the virus? It doesn't make it obvious that you are infected.
Yes, I had obtain automatically selected for both when I opened up that window.

EDIT: Also, in the screenshot of the original post, definitely is spelled "definately", which is incorrect.

EDIT 2: I got Shoddy to run again after running mbam, thanks mingot

Well I just checked to see if I had any trojans viruses and I don't so I, with many other people have the "Unable to launch application" pop up box even though I have the most up to date version of java. Help?

just a little update, when hooking my macbook up via ethernet cable, I was able to connect to shoddybattle.com if anyone has had troubles can someone try this to see if it works for them to?

EDIT: I have found a fix for this (well at least my problem, it may work for you guys as well). Go to this website: https://www.opendns.com/start/computer/

and pick your operating system, etc. follow the steps and then you may be able to access shoddy. Could people please try this, thanks.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
If changing which DNS servers you are using makes shoddybattle.com works, that would seem to suggest something is wrong with your DNS settings. The trojan that this topic talks about messes up your DNS settings.

Ok it is not always a trojan though, as I have tried it on my mac and pc, both of which i am sure are virus free (expecially the mac), and i had the same problem. i also checked the internet settings like the op said, and everything looked fine. it appears that certain internet connections have default DNS settings that for some reason block shoddybattle.com, and possbily other sites. however openDNS seems to be working for people who don't have a DNS altering trojan. i am unsure about people with trojans however.

just a little update, when hooking my macbook up via ethernet cable, I was able to connect to shoddybattle.com if anyone has had troubles can someone try this to see if it works for them to?

EDIT: I have found a fix for this (well at least my problem, it may work for you guys as well). Go to this website: https://www.opendns.com/start/computer/

and pick your operating system, etc. follow the steps and then you may be able to access shoddy. Could people please try this, thanks.
You are a fucking hero man =D Now I can start laddering again!

you guys need a mac version :( I have been having this redirect problem with safari/firefox for my macbook.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)