1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Problems connecting to Shoddy Battle? Check for Trojans.

Discussion in 'Shoddy Battle and Pokémon Lab' started by mingot, Jun 5, 2009.

1. mingot

mingot free agent
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Currently quite a few people seem to be infected with a trojan that is making it impossible to connect to Shoddy Battle. Symptoms include attempts to access the Shoddy Battle site bringing up a Google search page.

Here are the steps (with screenshots) for Windows XP users to check for infection. Please I am not in a position to help anyone with disinfecting and neither is Colin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ncpa.cpl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. malokair

malokair

so if "use the following DNS server adress" is not checked i don't have it?
  3. malokair

malokair

when i try to open it it says java starting then goes to a message that says unable to launch application.
  4. PeteDHeat

PeteDHeat

I get the exact same problem
  5. Dragonight

Dragonight

I have that problem too but I also think I may have a virus.
  6. rigadoog

rigadoog

I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with my computer and I have the exact same problem as these guys.
  7. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Did you check for the virus? It doesn't make it obvious that you are infected.
  8. rigadoog

rigadoog

Yes, I had obtain automatically selected for both when I opened up that window.

EDIT: Also, in the screenshot of the original post, definitely is spelled "definately", which is incorrect.

EDIT 2: I got Shoddy to run again after running mbam, thanks mingot
  9. Shelcario

Shelcario

Well I just checked to see if I had any trojans viruses and I don't so I, with many other people have the "Unable to launch application" pop up box even though I have the most up to date version of java. Help?
  10. Hobobloke

Hobobloke

Same problem as abov poster can we please get a solution!
  11. colts8729

colts8729

When I try to open it up I get a Black Box with little white lines moving in it!
  12. backspace

backspace

I cannot access shoddybattle.com on both my pc and my mac.

I am sure I do not have a trojan on either.
  13. backspace

backspace

just a little update, when hooking my macbook up via ethernet cable, I was able to connect to shoddybattle.com if anyone has had troubles can someone try this to see if it works for them to?

EDIT: I have found a fix for this (well at least my problem, it may work for you guys as well). Go to this website: https://www.opendns.com/start/computer/

and pick your operating system, etc. follow the steps and then you may be able to access shoddy. Could people please try this, thanks.
  14. Cathy

Cathy

If changing which DNS servers you are using makes shoddybattle.com works, that would seem to suggest something is wrong with your DNS settings. The trojan that this topic talks about messes up your DNS settings.
  15. backspace

backspace

Ok it is not always a trojan though, as I have tried it on my mac and pc, both of which i am sure are virus free (expecially the mac), and i had the same problem. i also checked the internet settings like the op said, and everything looked fine. it appears that certain internet connections have default DNS settings that for some reason block shoddybattle.com, and possbily other sites. however openDNS seems to be working for people who don't have a DNS altering trojan. i am unsure about people with trojans however.
  16. gvmgvm40

gvmgvm40

You are a fucking hero man =D Now I can start laddering again!
  17. Tbone

Tbone

you guys need a mac version :( I have been having this redirect problem with safari/firefox for my macbook.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)