Professor Baobab's Field Guide

This makes me happy to be alive. Your style is excellent, but Im kind of concerned for the guide now... could we have the a list of all the group members and their Pokemon?

You are concerned for the guide? How so? As for the team and their Pokemon a lot of that I haven't released yet. I will say that the Professor has 5 solid Fire Pokemon. The story does have some aspects of the traditional Pokemon story where characters tend to be type-based. Can you be more specific with your concern or question?

Just another post to say that this is fantastic; I love how you've put some effort into creating a narrative on top of the amazing artwork!

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You are concerned for the guide? How so? As for the team and their Pokemon a lot of that I haven't released yet. I will say that the Professor has 5 solid Fire Pokemon. The story does have some aspects of the traditional Pokemon story where characters tend to be type-based. Can you be more specific with your concern or question?
I think Solstice is worried about the guide who was attacked by the Nidoran in the last entry.

These are absolutely wonderful. Such a brilliant idea and wonderfully executed. I really hope you can provide some work for The Smog some time in the future as I'm blown away by all of these.

What Tenodera said: I'm very interested in both.

This is just so unspeakably amazing...
Your pencil sketches are even cleaner and show the true propensity of detail you exhibit!

Basically, it sums up to HAVE MY BABIES YOU ARE FREAKING AMAZING

Really.

*worships as a deity*

This is so interesting, i have enjoyed the history since it's very interesting, you really seemed to like fire pokes :3, jut two questions: does kecleon counts as one of the five fire pokes? how many people are with the professor?

PS: awesome story, I can't wait to see so many pokes :3 (your world is 10 times more awesome than the real pokeworld)

Okay, starting over. I am most definately not a deity... *hides halo and wings* however we can talk about the babies... LOL I kid I kid!! Back on topic.

The expedition conisits of 6 members. Here is a list including current Pokemon.

1.Professor Baobab: Torkal, Camerupt, Kecleon, Volcarona, Daramitian, and Magcargo.
2.Adam: Politoed and Quagsire
3.Chloe: Tangrowth, Jumpluff, and ??
4.Andrew: Torchic and Arcanine
5.Guide 1: Shuckle and Abomasnow
6.Guide 2: Slaking

I'll give you a bit of a synopsis to my plot. The professor, while trying to prepare for a trip to return home, discovers a part of his past he knew nothing about. Now hungry for the truth, the Professor sets off to discover what has been hidden from him for years. Also learning about the professor and his secrets is Mr. X, a notoriously cold-hearted hunter, who is looking to claim that ever elusive and rare Pokemon trophy. However, time is limited as the next ship to return home isn't scheduled to port again for at least another six months.

With a race against the clock, a hunter on his trail and the dangerous unknown region ahead of him, what will become of the professor and his friends? Will he discover his family's secret past? Will they beat race against the clock and return home safely? With Mr. X hot on the trail, will he discover what the Professor needs before the group does? Only time will tell! Stay tuned for release of "Professor Baobab's Great Adventure"... (working title)

I just posted the 29th page! "Slakoth" I am not sure if this is the right way to do it but either way its at the bottom of the first post!

Either way:

Woo, grammar nazi time! The word 'its' doesn't need a dash after it. Plus you spelled 'arboreal' wrong.

But seriously, this is incredible; I can't wait for the next instalment!

Hey Casteel, I love the way you colour. I just got a bamboo for the mac (quite a big one too) and I was wondering how to colour like you do! I have the same passion for drawing realistic pokemon (more semi realistic i guess), but I SUCK at colouring. Even with the bamboo. Any tips you could give me?

Well, the way that I achieve the coloring style for this project is actually pretty simple. ;D (Excellent news!!) I start by changing the flow of the pen so that it is pressure sensitive. (i.e.; the harder you press down on the pen, the thicker the line) Next, I set opacity at or around 50%. This allows for the "Copic Marker" or "Watercolor" feel. It was essential to the guide to give the feeling that it was done in a journal at "the scene" so I color in several layers just as one would with the stated medium. Finally, I try to play with layers in PS. Wether it be adding a layer of dark grey directly over the top of a set of colors (the 50% opacity is great for this) or having it over a a series of layers is all trial and error.

I really can't express how important it is to use layers to your advantage when achieving this style of color. I suppose thats true with any medium but just have fun and try it out. Im more than willing to talk in Skype or even do a tutorial of types with a screen share etc if thats something you feel you would be more beneficial. In the words of the great Porky Pig, "Th-Th-Th-That's all folks!"

Lol, thanks Casteel! I absolutely love your artwork, and I hope you don't feel like I would be copying you with the whole REALISTIC feel. The truth is, I've been (at least trying to) draw pokemon realistically for ages. And your colouring method is so simple looking (but very nice) that I would like to have known how. Don't want to be a copycat at all.

Lol, thanks Casteel! I absolutely love your artwork, and I hope you don't feel like I would be copying you with the whole REALISTIC feel. The truth is, I've been (at least trying to) draw pokemon realistically for ages. And your colouring method is so simple looking (but very nice) that I would like to have known how. Don't want to be a copycat at all.
Well, quite honestly, drawing realistic Pokemon isn't a unique idea. There are several before me who have done it and continue to do it so I encourage you to take on your own project and run with it.

My Field Guide is unique as in the way that I am presenting it. A Professor's guide before current times. A scientific look at the world in a realistic sense. I'm also creating my own region based on the portion of the continent of Africa. So in that sense, I doubt you are copying me. Not to mention, everyone has their own style. I'm more than willing to help you out and create your pieces.

I love art and Pokemon. I wish I could be an artist for Nintendo working on the universe. So many things I would love to do including design and release an MMO! I know it's off topic but I get so excited about this stuff!

I added a couple more pages! Enjoy. Ill try to add a few more soon and should be starting a separate art post with other images. (ie Skecthes, and other things non Field Guide related) Talk to you guys later.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
How the fuck did I miss this? Oh my god, man, you sure know how to add Pokemon features on real world animals! I'd love to see how you add things on non-animal like Pokemon.

Keep up the great work!

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Patiently waiting for more every day... gonna add on to the 'omg this is awesome' pool because it truly is!!

YES. He is back!

So happy that you came back to give us more casteel! Been a long time since I saw you on the forums.

I love what you did. Original, yet unoriginal. It's very intriguing. You also made the diary entry's like they were written by David Attenborough! You made all those Pokemon look real in retrospect, and you still kept the general design of the Pokemon intact (bar keckleon and slakoth), and the 70 yr old paper design is just beautiful. You may not have changed my view on any of these pokemon, but you have deinetely got skills. More than me. More than billions of people could ever have.
The victreebell look like real pitcher plants except for the color and eyes, the slaking looks like a gorrila, the quasgires looks like an ancient fish with legs! And I'm staying the obvious!

I would love to see a bronzong or rhyperior one of these :)

Also, amazing work mate :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)