Project Mono-Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

Poster of the Month
The biggest challenge in entering into the vastly deep metagame of competitive pokemon is the idea of team creation. Who's the best? Does the team mesh? Are there any glaring weaknesses to a team? How do you overcome the current top competitors? No matter if you are new to the competitive scene or a seasoned veteran, team creation is the crux of battling. My proposition for you today and singular goal of Project Mono-Type is to learn more about team construction.

The vast majority of players use the analyses to develop and construct their lines, as well they should. The analyses are tried and true staples and are designed to fit the metagame. But problems arise when players do not fully understand how to tweak their pokemon to suit the needs of the team.

I, myself, many times fall into the idea of recruiting by roll. I need a special sweeper, a physical sweeper, a couple decent walls/tanks, and hazards... so Just go through the list and pick pokemon to fill those rolls, trying to keep from leaving any really obvious weaknesses in the team. Then I play, I find out what's wrong, I alter the team, wash, rinse, repeat... I believe this style of team creation works, but team potential is only fully realized with a deeper understanding of the pokemon themselves and how they operate within a team.

As an analogy:
Think of dumping a bunch of rocks into a jar. You want to completely fill the jar so you put as many rocks in there as possible. But the rocks don't fit together nicely, therefore there is space in between edges and while you can make a nice heavy full jar, it could still be more full. So you take the rocks out and crush them down into their smaller parts, smaller rocks leave smaller gaps in-between, so you put your rocks back in and now have a jar that is even better filled, fewer, smaller gaps. Now think again if you could crush all the rocks into sand. You could practically completely fill the jar with no gaps in space.

Think of the jar as your team and the rocks as competitive potential. The further you break down those your pokemon into their core elements (stats, moves, EVs, etc...) the better you are able to fill your team with potential. The better understanding you have of each of those small parts, the less likely your team will have any "gaps," or exploitable weaknesses.

So we've gone from the metagame to team creation to individual pokemon... how do we learn more about pokemon so that we can maximize the effectiveness of our teams thus pushing the metagame into further evolution?

My answer: restriction.

Ever since my Gen 4 days on Shoddy Battle, I have kept a poison mono-type team. I am intimately familiar with the type and how to best utilize its strengths and overcome its weaknesses. Most of the pokemon on my poison line do not use standard sets. They can't. If they did, they wouldn't be able to make a cohesive team. Their individual standard rolls may still apply, but they don't have the benefit of being able to avoid their weaknesses with complementing types. Their options are limited, requiring me to think outside the box to make the team operable.

Here, then, is the proposition of Project Mono-Type: To learn how to tweak pokemon during team creation so that the team is cohesive in a way that can't be done by rigidly sticking to metagame staples. I plan to make a Standard OU competitive team with each of the 17 types. This is accomplished by:

1) Identifying a types main strengths and weaknesses;
2) Planning possible workarounds and implementing solutions based on current analyses, examining secondary types, move-pool options, stats, EV-spreads, and abilities; and
3) Play-testing line configurations, recording results and attempting to further the communities understanding of team creation.

What I need is input from the community. I am not the best nor most experienced player. And while I am very confident in my ability as a poison-type trainer, I am sure to need a lot of help with other types. Some types will be significantly harder to make a competitive team with than others and I need your expertise to make Project Mono-Type as beneficial for the community as possible.

I invite as many as are willing to participate in the exercise as possible. Through this thread I will keep updated results, links to each types' thread, and discussion on which types to attempt next.

As way of a disclaimer, I don't expect these lines to break top 100 or anything; but I do hope to create what can be considered a decently competitive line of each type, maximizing its potential within the standard OU ruleset.

I'm curious about project Electro- with only one true weakness and a champion with no weakness(cept from Mold breaker), and a series of fast-ass pokes, that one would be most intresting.

I vote for Mono-Grass. Sub-Seeding, Toxic Spikes absorption on many pokes, BIG ground and Electric resists. Grass types can fill many roles easily.

Just going to throw out the easiest type out there, Dragon.

Seriously we should just get it over and out of the way. There are a whole whopping 10 or so viable OU Dragons (Salamence, Dragonite, Haxorus, Latios, Latias, Hydregedion, Kyurem, Flygon, Kingdra, Zweilous) are about it.

How about Flying? OU flying types include Gliscor, Skarmory, Dragonite, Salamence...
Flying has an immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes but a weakness to Stealth Rock. We could always use Xatu though.

Run

Poster of the Month
I think grass sounds really interesting. It might be a tough one tho. We could even use some manual weather users to help combat weather-wars... Grass has access to both sun abusers, rain abusers, and to a less extent, ice and sand... I know I said no auto-weather... but grass is a very unique case... If the community is interested, that is.

^correct, grass has amazing attacking skills on both spectrums, many have good bulk, and they are good at healling themselves, so LO should be common. Many can get a strong hit on types that have an advantage against them.

hm. now that think about it, grass DOEs seem like a Very intresting mono (especially with most of the ones from earlier gens getting buffs.) I'm up for it too.

Yeah Grass seems interesting, Ferrothorn, Virizion,Celebi,Breloom, Chlorophyll users, Swift Swim Ludiculo, Prankster manual weather,it can definitly counter the common weather teams. Volcarona seems like the biggest threat to mono-grass...

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
How about Flying? OU flying types include Gliscor, Skarmory, Dragonite, Salamence...
Flying has an immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes but a weakness to Stealth Rock. We could always use Xatu though.
I've been trying out a monoflying team with relative success, with Xatu, Dragonite, Skarmory, SD Gliscor, Gyarados and Zapdos (previously salamence, but Starmie ripped me to shreds). As long as you keep rocks off the field with Xatu, you've always got a chance. Rotom-W gives me hell as well though..

I like the idea of Mono-Poison, there's a lot of variety out there (Tentacruel, Drapion, Gengar, Amoonguss, Venusaur, Crobat, Weezing, etc.), it gives you options to go for offense or stallish, and you're generally less concerned about STAB.

Grass is a decent choice, but my main concern is that it might end up trying too hard to be a Sunny Day team lite.

Just tryed a team made in 5 minutes. Super Fun :D Scarf Rotom-c,Cm Virizion,Band Celebi,Curse Ferro,Swift Swim Ludiculo, Roserade.
Played 6:2 and damn Volcarona is tough :D

Flying is the second best mono type after water. Stealth Rock weakness is nothing when you have every single secondary typing that's possible covered. Also, Xatu if you're extremely paranoid.

I think grass would be fun though. Bring out the Tangrowthhh

Psychic sounds interesting. You have diverse/support pokemon like mew, deoxys-s, jirachi, and celebi. Metagross, latios, victini, and some others can hit pretty hard. The type in general has quite a few other solid pokemon like starmie and reuniclus too. Some threats may be hard to cover but it certainly has a lot of options.

Spiritomb,Sableye, Mandibuzz > Mach Punch
That's great and all but then they have to stand up to the rest of OU lol. Dark is primarily a lower tier typing, with only Hydreigon and TTar representing in OU. There aren't very many choices either without dipping in to RU or lower.

Maybe it's not such a good idea after all. It very well may not even be possible to make an OU capable mono-Dark simply because there aren't enough options.

Seconding Poison. You've got a lot of secondary typings to choose from, and a team that can do an awful lot of different things. You've got stallish Pokémon like Weezing, fast attackers like Gengar, the awesome Venomoth for Baton Passing Quiver Dances to the even more awesome Nidoking... Plus, you turn every instance of Toxic and Toxic Spikes on your opponent's team into a wasted moveslot! (Though I guess Steel also boasts doing that.)

No more love for Mono-Ghost? I don't actually know how viable it is, but given the sheer amount of Ghosts that have amazing resistances (between typing and abilities) it shouldn't be that hard to get something resembling a team. It would an intriguing challenge, IMO.

However, Mono-Grass sounds good as well. Grass is a very, very underrated typing, especially when paired with a useful secondary type such as Poison or Rock.

Mono-Normal maybe? It would be one of the hardest, since almost any weather team would destroy it.

I think Psychic is the best type to do mono-team. You have such diversity and all the secondary typings of Psychic are usually quite useful as well (Celebi and Jirachi lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)