Project PU: To the Discovery of the Pathetic & Useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Birkal
Project PU: Discovery

PU is a constantly changing metagame, and as it changes so do the Pokemon and sets that are useful. With all these sets from different Pokemon, it may be hard to remember them all. This is what Project PU: Discovery, is for. So with that out the way, welcome.

From the T-Monster:
Much like the old Project Ubers thread from Stark Mountain, this thread aims to be a creative movesets thread... except this is Project Ubers 2.0, which means that it's going to be a creative movesets thread that actually has a goal! This project's goal is to get all of us here is to test out, discuss, and explore new Uber sets, strategies, and niches, and then slowly build up a massive database (located in the 2nd post) of the great movesets and Pokemon that deserve more attention!

Rules

1. You. must. actually. test. the. sets. you. post. I know you might think "I HAVE A REALLY COOL IDEA FOR A SET", but so does Treecko37. It doesn't mean they work at all. If your post shows obvious signs of not testing the set, I will delete it, and you will be unhappy. Nobody wins. Commenting on sets you haven't tested in response to other posts is fine though.

2. When you post your sets, post a short description of the set, since people need to know the selling points of the set. At the very least, bullet point what it does well, what conditions it needs to succeed, and what it needs to watch out for. Keep in mind that the set database will be organized into 3 distinct sections, so designate which section your set is for. Here are the sets:

• A. Creative Movesets. These posts work a lot like they would in a normal creative movesets thread, so just include the selling points of the moveset and/or Pokemon.
  • B. Standard Movesets with a TWIST. These are the kind of movesets that, while being similar to a standard moveset, make a modification that dramatically affects the Pokemon's playstyle. Examples would be a standard moveset having a unique item that has major selling points over the standard item, an EV spread that accomplishes a different goal, or a new move or two that alters the Pokemon's playstyle. Focus on how that small modification benefits the Pokemon in ways the regular item, moves, or ev spread can't achieve, and how this Pokemon's playstyle changes when compared to their standard set.
  • C. Underrated Movesets / Pokemon. There are several sets and mons out there that are well known to already work, but for some reason or another, just aren't used much, or have dramatically fallen in usage. When posting these sets, first focus on why you think the Pokemon's usage is low or why it has dropped so much. After that, give reasons for why you think this Pokemon is under rated. Think about answering questions like "Are there serious advantages to this Pokemon that most people miss?", "Does this Pokemon just need a specialized strategy to show its true potential?", and "How do you overcome the weaknesses that make this Pokemon's usage low?"
  • D. Movesets for Pokemon who do not have an analysis on the site. This applies only for Pokemon that do not have an analysis on-site, such as the Pokemon in the NFE tier or some in the NU tier. This can also apply to LC Pokemon, as the EV Spreads and movesets can be differ from here to there.

3. Think before you post. If your post is totally useless to the thread, it'll get deleted (or worse I'll sic Birkal or Arcticblast on you to unleash their wrath).

4. Post and discuss movesets whenever you want.

Have fun!!

P.S: Please try to have a good grammar, or else I'll have to correct it in order for it to get into the Database.

THE DATABASE

Creative Movesets

Standard Movesets with a Twist

Under Rated Movesets / Pokemon

Other movesets (no analysis on-site or LC Pokemon)

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to go first with my offensive lead marshtomp

(Will add pic)
Marshtomp@eviolte
252atk 252hp 4def
Adamant nature
Torrent
-stealth rock
-waterfall
-earthquake
-ice punch

Marshtomp is a really underrated mon and most people use the defensive set but this set I find is a lot better as it 2hkos most leads thanks to its great STAB attacks. Ice punch is really good as it hits birds and fraxure hard and although superpower and rock slide may seem better they are definitely not, I know from past experiences. Torrent is preferred unless your scared of exploding gigalith then use damp but overall this set can tank hits and hurt there mons, it is like a PU piloswine.

As you can see my twist of running attack Evs which do help a lot with threats. Marshtomp last time I checked had no analasys so it would be nice to see one. On this set you could use superpower or rock slide over ice punch but I don't find them to be as good. There are other sets you could use like restalk or toxic protect and he does get other defensive moves like scald and roar but after experimenting I find that this is the best set.

I will take a hit at this with one of my favorites in the PU meta right now.

Swanna (F) @Choice Specs
Trait: Hydration
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Hurricane
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-HP Electric

Okay, I know that this may seem like an inferior RD+Roost+Surf+Hurricane set, but it has its merits, especially on more dedicated rain teams. Specs Hurricane hurts sooo incredibly hard even off a seemingly mediocre SpA stat. Surf hurts a lot under rain, Ice Beam handles basically any threat that the other two moves can't if the situation ever arises but it's quite unlikely that anything will be switching in that takes more from Ice Beam than the others. HP Electric is #1 for Mantine who might think it can switch in. Swanna can be an incredible wall breaker too and handles its common switch-ins very well.

Some relevant calcs
252 SpA Choice Specs Swanna Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Muk in rain: 192-226 (46.37 - 54.58%) -- 99.61% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Swanna Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hypno in rain: 175-207 (46.79 - 55.34%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Swanna Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Grumpig in rain: 180-213 (49.45 - 58.51%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

That's just for its most common counters, not including bulky Golduck or Mantine (we should be able to assume what HP Electric doees to Mantine).

Some other relevant calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Swanna Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Throh: 356-422 (80.18 - 95.04%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Swanna Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino in rain: 211-249 (51.46 - 60.73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Swanna Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-F in rain: 252-297 (104.56 - 123.23%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Swanna Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-F: 168-198 (69.7 - 82.15%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Swanna Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Beheeyem in rain: 279-328 (78.81 - 92.65%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Swanna Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Beheeyem: 234-276 (66.1 - 77.96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Swanna is already a rain monster, but with good rain support from thinks like Golduck, Illumise, etc., Swanna can shine bright like a diamond.

Isn't it a bit early for a creative and underrated moveset thread? PU is still such a new tier, so what might be considered "creative" now might become bog standard whenever the metagame develops.

At any rate, here's something I've been running on offense teams, usually alongside 4-5 random sweepers. It works really nicely.

Pineco @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
Hasty Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Pain Split

Pineco is probably the best suicide Spiker for offensive teams. Provided the opponent doesn't lead with a Taunt user or switch in Natu, you're pretty much guaranteed to get up Stealth Rock and at least one layer of Spikes, which is very valuable for helping net KOs for sweeper such as Combusken. I don't use Rapid Spin much, but it is fun to set up a couple of layers on an opposing Gigalith or something and then spin away their Stealth Rock before going down (Rapid Spin also breaks non-Leftovers Gigalith's Sturdy so Swanna or something can clean up what's left). Pain Split is also cool for taking opponent's down to half health if Sturdy has activated, while also possibly recycling Sturdy. Pineco is painfully slow, but Hasty with 252 Spe EVs does let it beat uninvested Huntail and everything slower (I know most Huntail will be fast Shell Smash users, but you get my point).

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Isn't it a bit early for a creative and underrated moveset thread? PU is still such a new tier, so what might be considered "creative" now might become bog standard whenever the metagame develops.

At any rate, here's something I've been running on offense teams, usually alongside 4-5 random sweepers. It works really nicely.

Pineco @ Custap Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
Hasty Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Pain Split

Pineco is probably the best suicide Spiker for offensive teams. Provided the opponent doesn't lead with a Taunt user or switch in Natu, you're pretty much guaranteed to get up Stealth Rock and at least one layer of Spikes, which is very valuable for helping net KOs for sweeper such as Combusken. I don't use Rapid Spin much, but it is fun to set up a couple of layers on an opposing Gigalith or something and then spin away their Stealth Rock before going down (Rapid Spin also breaks non-Leftovers Gigalith's Sturdy so Swanna or something can clean up what's left). Pain Split is also cool for taking opponent's down to half health if Sturdy has activated, while also possibly recycling Sturdy. Pineco is painfully slow, but Hasty with 252 Spe EVs does let it beat uninvested Huntail and everything slower (I know most Huntail will be fast Shell Smash users, but you get my point).
Interesting set, but don't you think Dwebble does it just as well, if not better with its greater offensive presence and Speed? Also, Gigalith usually carry Rock Blast, which renders all of this moot as well. The real problem is that Custap Gigalith is very common and usually run max Speed, which outspeeds Pineco's base 15 Speed. For Dwebble, it still manages to get up Stealth Rocks, while Pineco just dies to Rock Blast before doing anything.

Dwebble Lv.1@ Berry Juice
Nature:Jolly
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Knock Off
-Rock Blast

This is a great Dwebble set, and It works great in conjunction with Prioulu. Unless the opponent carries, ROck Blast, Bullet Seed, Tail Slap, Double Slap, or any of those kind of moves, Dwebble almost always gets hazards up. Knock off is for Eviolite and Rock blast is for an attck. It struggles with rapid spinners though

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dwebble Lv.1@ Berry Juice
Nature:Jolly
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Knock Off
-Rock Blast

This is a great Dwebble set, and It works great in conjunction with Prioulu. Unless the opponent carries, ROck Blast, Bullet Seed, Tail Slap, Double Slap, or any of those kind of moves, Dwebble almost always gets hazards up. Knock off is for Eviolite and Rock blast is for an attck. It struggles with rapid spinners though
Idk, unlike the similar Pineco set, this set lacks Pain Split to actually make use of your low level/HP. What does this set do that the Custap Berry set doesn't do better? At least at level 100 Rock Blast can actually break Substitutes after all, and you can always use Knock Off as well.

Yeah, suicide lead Dwebble at lvl.1 is pretty much outclassed by lvl.1 Pineco, who has access to Pain Split, Toxic Spikes, and Rapid Spin that allows it to beat other dedicated leads in he PU tier. Dwebble can't really do much at level 1 as far as damage output goes, so it's always better to run lvl.100 with either Eviolite or a Custap Berry.

Now, I present one of the new drops to PU, Torterra

Torterra's great movepool, awesome offensive typing, and really well balanced stats allow it to perform multiple different roles on a team. One of its most commonly used sets makes use of its access to Stealth Rock in tandem with STABs that allow it to beat common leads with ease:

Torterra @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge / Bullet Seed

This set allows Torterra to beat all of the tier's Stealth Rock leads bar Intimidate Mawile relatively easily without letting them set up hazards. Wood Hammer and EQ are ludicrously powerful STAB options, with he former working exceptionally well with Overgrow. Stone Edge is mainly for Flying-type double resists such as Jumpluff and Tropius, but the former doesn't really enjoy taking any hit, to be fair. Bullet Seed is used to KO Graveler and Sturdy Relicanth without activation of Sturdy.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
You could also use KACAW(Choice Band) Dodrio for a heavy hitter
I'm not sure what Dodrio and Torterra have in common, or what you mean by comparing them at all. The whole point of Leafshield's Torterra set is to handle most common Stealth Rock leads, set its own up, and still tank a few hits. Dodrio is merely an offensive cleaner, while good, is pretty limited in its role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)