Project Uber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just something, I find the TechniTop interesting enough so I'll do a significant number of battles and report my results.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I'll also be testing Hitmontop, but more specifically:

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Careful nature (+SDef,-SAtk)
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 140 SDef
Moveset:
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge

I saw no mention of Ninjask in this thread, whom I have never heard much talk of Uber usage in general, even though it is fairly high on lead statistics. it seems reletively useful with a set like

Ninjask @ Expert Belt
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Protect
- X-Scissor
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

The Speed allows you to outrun Choice Scarf Mewtwo and Darkrai leads (after a Protect+Speed Boost) too hit them with a swift STAB super effective X-Scissor. The bad news comes in when you're told that it can't OHKO either without a boosting item, and that the only guaranteed OHKO comes with a Life Orb or Choice Band attached. However, a Bug Plate or Expert Belt allow you to always beat Darkrai and to beat Mewtwo about 50% of the time. Obviously Deoxys-S is OHKOd or 2HKOed after being outsped the second turn if it has Focus Sash. With Metwo, however, Stealth Rock will not allow it to switch in any more anyway. ugh sorry for rambling :x

If Darkrai tries to Sleep you, you obviously Protect and then Sub, then X-Scissor the switch-in, maybe alternate a bit between Protect and Sub, then pass to a sweeper depending on your opponent's Pokemon. If your opponent is a bulky lead like Tyranitar or Groudon, you are free to Sub and pass to a Sweeper unless it's a Roar Dialga. It's OHKOd by CB Scizor's Bullet Punch, btw. The other nice thing about this is that it can come in later to revenge kill just about any low-health Uber or a CM Latios/Latias or the aforementioned Mewtwo/Darkrai.

Yeah I know this isn't anything new really. I am just sharing the most succesful spread/set I've used for this guy.

Couldn't Jirachi and/or Mew pull off this exact same strategy with the exact same moves, but with better typing? The only reason I see for the use of Celebi is resistance to Earthquake, and to cure Darkrai's Dark Void by switching out.
The only reason to use this over the two you mentioned is solely because of Natural Cure. It allows you to take the Dark Void without fear. The EQ resistance is a bonus as it allows one to switch into choiced Groudon and force a switch, thus crippling the switchin. Both Mew and Jirachi could fill the role, and both of them should be tested for such a position as well imo.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I think I tested Yanmega enough.

Conclusion: Sweeper Yanmega is too frail on the special side. With it's (relatively) low special attack, it can't OHKO much in the tier either.

Sweeper Yanmega = Fail. Open for retesting though.

Anti lead testing still going on.

I see you have Toxicroak listed as needing retested on your list.
A while back me And Gengarx777 designed a team that used a fairly simple Scarf Toxicroak to work as a nice initial Kyogre and Darkrai switch in. It also gets some really nice coverage in ubers and revenges stuff.
I always found that it proved very useful in every match I played.

Toxicroak @ Choice scarf
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 252 Atk/ 252Spd / 6HP
Ability: Dry skin
- Cross chop
- Ice punch
- X-scissor
- Sucker punch

If need be, Il re-test this bad boy for you.

I have tested antilead Breloom a little bit. I'm very busy right now so I don't have time to test it more so if somebody want to test it go ahead. Here is the set.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Trait: Effect Spore
Adamant Nature
EVs: 68 HP/252 Atk/190 Spd
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Protect
- Superpower

This 2HKOs Groudon, Deoxys-S and OHKOs Darkrai, Dialga and Kyogre. Spore is great move to cripple something. This is surprising effective and can give you a good start. And btw, Effect Spore is hillarious when you sacrifise your 1% HP Breloom and sometimes status your opponent's poke.

EDIT. This really works! You can always cripple something and often came lategame to do more damage. Superpower is really powerful and do over 30% almost everything. Try it and you will be happy!

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Ninjask @ Expert Belt
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Protect
- X-Scissor
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

The bad news comes in when you're told that it can't OHKO either without a boosting item, and that the only guaranteed OHKO comes with a Life Orb or Choice Band attached. However, a Bug Plate or Expert Belt allow you to always beat Darkrai and to beat Mewtwo about 50% of the time.
You know...there's a Bug Plate, so you don't need to rely on a super effective hit to do the same effect.

SDTangrowth - without paralysis and Wobbufett support hard as hell to use. And his speed even with +nature is not enough in some cases. I need to say unfortunately that it doesn't work. But it switches quite comfortably on Groudon and Lucario, taking Earthquakes / Extremespeeds with solid comfort even without defence investment. In Ubers probably Shiftry and Victreebel outclasses it thanks to much higher speed. In other words NO for this set. Still needs to check CBTangrowth.

Physical Wall Cresselia - I run 252 HP/150 Def/106 SpA (those SpA EVs are enough to OHKO Rayquaza with SR up). And with those defensive EVs it takes maximum 75% from SDQuaza Outrage. It counters 100% of time RP Groudon, DDQuaza and most of times SDQuaza. It also handles Gira-O without Calm Mind and Bulk Up MewTwo. I can say that she's fine in her job. Soon I'll try Special Wall Cressy and Calm Minder.

I've used a similar Ninjask anti-lead. It stops Deoxys-S from getting up more than one entrance hazard since it will break the sash with the first X-Scissor and outspeed after Speed Boost. It also means that Deoxys-S accomplishes nothing if it Taunts you.

What about Regice?

Thunder gains from Rain support.
Ice Beam [STAB] hits a lot of Ubers & quite a few of those that are in the test.
Monstrous Sp.Def can be utilized in this current Special-Attack dominating environment.
Curse/Hammer Arm can raise its mediocre DEFENSE to usable level while Hammer Arm can be used against Dialga. (May be an option, although not very likely)
Rest/Talk combination can help it heal, and utilize those 2 Special Attacks thoroughly while keeping the thing healthy.

Registeel is obviously good enough in Uber support as it does have a set.

By the way, I've been using Ninjask anti-Lead for awhile, and Baton Passing to Giratina-O's Sub/Outrage/Shadow Force/EQ set is quite effective, utilizing decent defense (only shy short of Giratina-A), now good speed and higher attack than Giratina-A. It works nice. Blissey can switch into Shadow Force, but is bound to switch out next turn if it doesn't wanna die, thus giving G-O a free turn.

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Not sure about Regice

SR Weak
Specs ogre's Water Spout 2HKOes it (OHKO with SR)
What the heck is Hammer Arm going to do to Bulk Up Dialga?
You need Psych Up to beat up Lati@s.
No Dragon resistance or a recovery move- Specs Draco Meteor can hurt
Not enough power for Explosion unless cursed, and it might not find time to Curse.
Eh that's as far as I'll list for now. It has STAB Ice Beam and Thunder but that's basically it. At least it beats support Groudon one on one, but struggles to find a place over Blissey in the uber metagame

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Not sure about Regice

SR Weak
Specs ogre's Water Spout 2HKOes it (OHKO with SR)
What the heck is Hammer Arm going to do to Bulk Up Dialga?
You need Psych Up to beat up Lati@s.
No Dragon resistance or a recovery move- Specs Draco Meteor can hurt
Not enough power for Explosion unless cursed, and it might not find time to Curse.
Eh that's as far as I'll list for now. It has STAB Ice Beam and Thunder but that's basically it. At least it beats support Groudon one on one, but struggles to find a place over Blissey in the uber metagame

Based on the comments Jibaku made, I don't think that Regice would work that well in Ubers, it's just overshadowed by Blissey.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Absol @ Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Ability: Super Luck
- Snatch / Taunt
- Night Slash
- Sucker Punch
- Magic Coat

I'm reposting this because Absol does work. It took me a bit of getting used to when I used him as a lead, but it does its job pretty well.

It's a good idea to Magic Coat against Darkrai leads, since they will inevitably try to Dark Void. Sometimes they will also try to use Trick, so you can just let Absol take the Scarf, and switch out. Against Deoxys leads, you're able to Snatch away their screens if they're Dual Screen variants. The Spikers are a little more annoying, but they're still easy to kill, but as far as I'm concerned, they're just wasting a pokemon anyway.

Sucker Punch is more so that he can come in later and stop threats that are trying to set up. Eg. If a Rayquaza thinks that he can DD up in your face, Snatch away the boost, and then kill him with Sucker Punch before he uses Extremespeed (possible OHKO after SR). If you predict that he'll DD again, just Snatch again.

There are a lot of variants of this Absol that use Superpower over Sucker Punch, but I really don't think it's needed. It's not really going to help against Darkrai, considering that most of them are Sashed, meaning that they can kill you first, since they're faster. It's not going to help much against Dialga, particularly BU Dialga. It won't 2HKO when you take the Atk drop into account, while Dialga can sure as hell 2HKO. It's not even needed against Blissey, since Blissey is screwed against Absol no matter what. Statuses are Magic Coated back, CMs are stolen, Night Slash packs a hell of a wallop, so Blissey won't win without a lot of luck.

Of course, people are free to modify the set whatever way they want. But this set has worked pretty well for me.

EDIT: Taunt actually works pretty well over Snatch as well. It helps a lot against the Spiker Deoxys', Forretress and SR Groudon which the Snatch version has quite a problem with.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Would like some thoughts on this:

So far, all the Yanmega sets I used were of the Speed Boost variety. However, should I consider Tinted Lens? 95 Speed is decent for Ubers, and Yanmega really appreciates the "coverage" added by Tinted Lens.

So far, all the Yanmega sets I used were of the Speed Boost variety. However, should I consider Tinted Lens? 95 Speed is decent for Ubers, and Yanmega really appreciates the "coverage" added by Tinted Lens.
But you won't be hitting much except for Dialga and Rayquaza for neutral damage. Generally, I think speed boost is a lot better choice when it comes to sweeping variants since it generally allows you to outspeed a lot more stuff after a few turns.

What about Choice Specs Speed Boost Yanmega? It can come in on EQs, Grass Knots, Fighting moves, and Sweep... Just saying...

Generally speaking, 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD Calm/Careful is a better spread, providing good balanced offences with a slight bias to SpD. I am sceptical on this set because Deoxys can basically do it with Cosmic Power, but I will be interested to see how it does.
Thanks for the opinion. I'm going to slightly edit the set:

@ Leftovers
Calm
EVs:
252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD

Roost
Amnesia
Baton Pass
Signal Beam

W-o-w was taken out in favor of Signal Beam for several reasons. First, Signal Beam allows Mew to actually do damage, and it's super-effective against Mew, Darkrai, and Deoxys-S, three of the more common Taunters. Also, if it inflicts Confusion, you could get an extra Roost/Amnesia in.

What about Choice Specs Speed Boost Yanmega? It can come in on EQs, Grass Knots, Fighting moves, and Sweep... Just saying...
That's actually not a half-bad idea, seeing that not many things in ubers resist Bug.

What would the nature for the Yanmega be? Modest or timid?

Modest. So it can abuse as much power as Possible. Also works against Trick Pokemon, and can stay in on lets say Deoxys-S and just keep Bug Buzzing.

Jibaku

That's actually not a half-bad idea, seeing that not many things in ubers resist Bug.
well...
Gengar, Skarmory, Forretress, Heracross, Scizor, Blissey (well doesn't resist it but you can get it!), Ho-oh, Rayquaza, Lucario, Dialga, Heatran, Giratina, Giratina-O.
Not exactly many, but there's actually a decent amount.

Good luck bringing Yanmega in more than twice, though. Stealth Rock absolutely ruins it and if it tries to absorb a Grass Knot/Fighting move it loses one more chance of swapping in.

Does Gengar, Lucario, Heracross, or Forretress have very high Special Defense though? Certainly resistances help, but let's not forget that high Power of Yanmega when Modest and holding a Choice Specs.

That's like saying: Don't use CB Dugtrio because Latios, Latias, Rayquaza, Ho-oh, Lugia, Bronzong, Parasect, Ludicolo, etc. all resist its EQ and it dies easily to Toxic Spikes.

Additionally, Ho-oh isn't that common, nor is Gengar, or Skarmary. Even Heracross isn't that common in Ubers these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)