Project "Update Overviews" (post 1 updated with reservations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an awesome idea!! The past weeks I've been really busy with school (since we're approaching the finals in my country, and I had better do some work or I'd be extremely overwhelmed later on lol), but I'll be able to contribute much more (especially) starting two weeks from now.

I write as a hobby but also as a lifestyle, and even though English is not my native language I'm completely certain that there's no problem there — it's been at least three years since I first started reading and writing in English outside of classes, so it won't come off as a surprise that I've learnt to think in English too. Moreover, since I was little I've always made sure that what I wrote was grammatically correct, precise and to the point, though I've always struggled with word limits — that's something I need to change in order to do well in college next year, lol.

Though I'm probably not the best for the job, I feel like I'd do a good job at writing and giving advices, because let's face it, I've always done that :P I'm also not a great player, but I'm pretty sure I'm not mediocre either. The only thing I'd have to argue is, serial commas hurt my eyes, really. Not only because I never used commas preceding an 'and' or an 'or' when I was growing up, but because they just don't feel right when I use them. Of course, it isn't actually wrong to use them, but it's just an issue I'll never get past. (And come on, the 'We invited the strippers, JFK, and Lenin' is not a situation that'll happen in common writing, lol)

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
fucking aldaron made my post go away.

anyway im willing to help with writing. i basically only know lc but if needed i can make prose out of someones bullet points lol

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi, as I posted in the IS version, as a champion of conciseness I'd like to both advise and write, as well as help provide some kind of leadership role.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/bw/metagames/ou

around 140 ou analyses...

Since this is purely volunteer work I'm not going to put any particular emphasis on priority / order, but I would like to update overviews for all 140 or so (obviously the "joke" ones should keep that joke tone).

People who want to write, post after this post (don't edit your previous post) for what ou overviews you want to reserve; people who want to advise, post what ou overviews you want to advise (you can obviously advise wherever you want but I'd like some assignment organization for efficiency, at least initially).

Also specify whether you will be writing, advising, or doing both for each Pokemon you choose.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The question is, Aldaron, do all of the overviews need updates and remakes? I believe that the first thing that should be done, is to take the people that volunteered to offer advice, and let them have a look in those analysis. Then after they decide which analyses need updates/revising or whatever, post this list here, so that writers can start making reservations, as well as advisers.

EDIT: I guess you have a point...

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Doesn't matter operationally; if you take 3 Pokemon you like you want to write, and the people assigned to any of those 3 decide the overview doesn't need updating, then just mention that at that step.

No need to waste time on a formalized step that can be done operationally.

Stoked to take Ape.

Overview-

Infernape's mixed attacking talents no longer help it out the way they have for the rest of his career. The name of the game in BW2 is all-out offense, which for an attacker generally means do one thing and do it well. On the physical side, offensive teams with only one dedicated physical wall are consistently broken by Rock Gem Terrakion, who boasts far stronger physical attacks and much higher usable bulk when used in sand. On the special side, Infernape isn't very good to start with. Rain teams in particular have pokemon like Tentacruel and Tornadus-T which assure he can not pull a sweep or even leave lasting damage. If you attempt to counteract the weather with your own, you run into the problem of Venusaur, Victini, and Darmanitan collectively outclassing it under sun while returning to the original Terrakion + any top tier special attacker problem in sand and hail. Infernape's past gave him reasons to be used against stall, which has an easier time stacking physical walls to beat Terrakion's sets than his, in particular sun stall teams with Sableye despised him because he can 2HKO anything under the sun without being halted by a burn. However, stall is not a significant part of BW2 and he chances of finding a proper place for Infernape in your team are slim.

I'll reserve and write Abomasnow, Metagross and Tyranitar.

Abomasnow

Abomasnow's main role on a team is to remove the opponent's weather advantage, and really the only reason to consider using it on your team. Don't bother using Abomasnow to create a hail team, they're far inferior to sand, sun, and rain teams. Abomasnow's stats and movepool lend it to a role of disrupting the opponent's team patterns through an offensive or SubSeed set. Ultimately, Abomasnow doesn't need much team support as it has a singular role in messing with your opponent's team and breaks whatever weather advantage they may have had.

Metagross

Metagross has a limited amount of decent traits. It can actually take a strong physical move from things like Kyurem-B and hit back, and can run a Specially Defensive set with Pursuit that does well against threats like Latios. Its problem is that it’s basically outclassed by virtually every steel in OU, who deserve that crucial team spot more than Metagross. It’s walled by commonly seen defensive Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Rotom-W, which is a problem when other steels such as Genesect and Scizor can just U-turn out on the problem. If you’ll ever use Metagross, then it’s because it fills a specific niche that you may need, otherwise stick to its better brothers.

Tyranitar

You’re using Tyranitar to set up sandstorm, so play to its strengths. Defensive sets with Stealth Rock are done better by Hippowdon, who isn’t threatened by the popular Dugtrio & Genesect combination found on many sun and rain teams and at the same time has reliable recovery. Tyranitar is pretty versatile which allows it to be less one dimensional than Hippowdon and therefore can run Fire Blast to catch Ferrothorn. However, Tyranitar should be running a more offensive set such as Choice Band to get easy kills with Pursuit while at the same time hurting something badly with its STAB moves. Choice Scarf sets have declined in popularity with the arrival of Tornadus-T, but have some merit on teams that include both Hippowdon and Tyranitar.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Should we assume that analyses currently in QC/GP aren't up for grabs?

Reserving Magneton since I wrote it, although Idk if it really needs it.

Also yee, why not put a few more positives into Infernape's overview? It isn't THAT bad.

I've got Dragonite, Tornadus-T, Gengar, Heatran, Latios, and Latias. I'll advise myself, but others can pitch in too.

Dragonite said:
Dragonite is a top tier OU Pokemon, and while different sets can fit any team archetype, it is most commonly seen as an Offensive Dragon Dancer. Generally making its way into the battle as a mid-game opener or wall breaker, Dragon Dance Dragonite has few counters under the traditional definition. Recently, Dragonite's effectiveness has been hampered by Genesect's Choice Scarf Ice Beam. Aside from Gensect and Scizor's Bullet Punch, every other Dragonite counter is slow and defensively oriented, so they will take a lot of damage from Outrage. The most notable second set is the Rain Tank although it is rare. Other sets have fallen by the wayside as the metagame becomes more offensively oriented. Many Pokemon are both faster and can OHKO Dragonite, so unless it is boosting speed via Dragon Dance, Dragonite is usually considered more of a liability than an asset.
Will do the rest later.

Aldaron

geriatric
So, is this open to anyone, or...?
Any is good to reserve for writing / advising as long he is a good writer or has some success in a competitive scene.

Should we assume that analyses currently in QC/GP aren't up for grabs?
Nah, they're all up for grabs. We'll just choose the better version if there is a conflict, no biggie.

I'm gonna update the OP with the reservations then get to other stuff.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nah, they're all up for grabs. We'll just choose the better version if there is a conflict, no biggie.

I'm gonna update the OP with the reservations then get to other stuff.
This makes no sense. Instead of letting someone else write a separate overview to an analysis that is in the writing stages, those analyses should have the overview writer default to the current writer and just have an analyst to go with them. There's no reason to have two different overviews get written and then have to make a subjective assessment on them.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll take Gastrodon, Lilligant, and Smeargle. The last two I wrote so they should be pretty easy to deal with, though Smeargle's needs some definite work.

EDIT: and I must say, I'm very guilty explaining 252/252/4 EV spreads, I'll make sure to stop that.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I am very willing to write or advise. I'd like to write the overview for Deoxys-D:

Overview:

Deoxys-D is endowed with the rare combination of Taunt, Stealth Rock, and Spikes that has allowed it to become the most threatening lead in the OU Metagame despite its non-existent offenses. The relatively few things that can outspeed it frequently cannot KO it before it gets a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock on the field. Because it sets up hazards with such consistency, Deoxys-D has become the premier supporter for Weather-less Offensive teams, as two layers of hazards are often an even greater advantage than controlling the weather. Like all hazard setters, Deoxys-D must be wary of Rapid Spin, but because it has quite a few strategies that allow it to beat different Rapid Spin users, it may be best to play carefully or wait until it has fainted to spin its hazards away. Another common counter strategy is using a powerful U-turn to get it into range so that something faster can KO it before it gets its second layer up. In spite of these methods, Deoxys-D continues to be a powerful tool for offensive teams to abuse and there are a plethora of sweepers that become simply unmanageable with support from it.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't use the word 'blessed' or any form of it. It's in too many analyses and I'm tired of reading it. Try 'endowed'.

I'd like to reserve and write Slowbro, Crobat and Tornadus, for the moment.

There isn't anything particularly wrong about them, but they're very outdated; Fighting-types aren't half as common in BW2 as they were in BW, while Tornadus should seriously state that Tornadus-T takes away most of its niches except for the Pransker support it can provide with Rain Dance and Tailwind, the fastest Taunt in the game, and a better BU set. If it were needed, I wouldn't be opposed to a revamp either.

Btw, SJCrew, 'endowed' is in the same line with the word 'aforementioned' :P

I'll reserve to write and advise Tangrowth, Machamp, and Xatu.

EDIT- Sorry alexwolf you get Xatu
EDIT2- No Machamp for me, I think the analysis should be removed entirely.

Tangrowth-

By the grace of Regenerator Tangrowth has become one of the most resilient physical walls in the game, second only to Protect Gliscor after it's Toxic Orb has activated. Tangrowth's home is generally on defensive teams, where it can be used to scout Choice Band attackers by taking the blow and regenerating out to a resist and wear down the other team massively with it's support movepool featuring Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, and Knock Off. It can also be used effectively on balanced teams for the same purpose and to counter top physical threats, being hard for even Breloom to toss aside when asleep. A small special defense investment will allow it to take a Hydro Pump or two as well. It's not going to be fighting for top 5 usage any time soon but it can still be an effective fit in numerous teams.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think that's a subjective critique more than anything. However, seeing analyses blend together due to a very similar choice of words is not. You can change it to anything you want. My personal choice was endowed - I learned it through my first job in sales back in high school. It might be pretentious, but I wouldn't know.

We have thesauri.

I don't really like the Metagross's or Infernape's proposed overviews to be honest. When I read Infernape's, I felt that it should only be used in the sun and on teams that don't mind a burn, and even then it is still a piece of shit that should never be used ever. For Metagross, it was almost just plain mean - why the heck would you just say "Metagross sucks lol don't use it?" The language was also informal, which didn't help.

Although an overview is made to be honest, it should also be made to make a person see some reason to use it. Let's take Garbodor's first NU analysis... in short it said that Garbodor is a piece of trash, it does nothing other than set up spikes, and there is no reason to prepare for it since anyone who uses it is a stupid player that deserves to lose. It was unpopular after it was uploaded, and the entire article was updated for the sole purpose of changing the wording. If Metagross has an overview that just completely bashes it, that isn't going to make people even read about what Metagross can do... it isn't a completely useless Pokemon, although many people do not really like it. I'll use its current one as a fault system so to speak.

Metagross stands tall in OU thanks to its great typing, good overall stats, and monstrous Attack and Defense. Metagross is also diverse, with options ranging from Choice Band or Choice Scarf sets, providing Stealth Rock support, and even mixed attacking. However, Metagross hasn't received any new tricks in this generation except for Psyshock and Hone Claws, only the latter being somewhat viable. To make matters worse, one of Metagross's most powerful weapons, Explosion, has had its power halved, which seriously hinders it. With the addition of bulky newcomers such as Jellicent, and the increase in popularity of Pokemon such as Rotom-W and Gliscor, Metagross can be checked easily. Nonetheless, it is still a very solid Pokemon overall with the ability to check many top threats in OU.
Metagross certaintly doesn't "stand tall" in OU, but the other points are true - it is very diverse and has great stats, along with a useful typing. They should be expanded a bit to explain their roles but still. The other points - it being walled easily and Explosion got nerfed - is also here. The cons should be emphasized more than the pros, because Metagross is a flawed Pokemon without a doubt, but the points should mix in a bit. There are reasons to use Metagross out there, and while there aren't that many, it should at least give a reason to use Metagross. If you are just going to say that Metagross is unviable, only dumb people use it, and it should be in UU, then it would have a joke analysis or none at all, right?

And then Infernape...

Being the monkey it is, Infernape had always been able to swing its way into DPP's top tier Pokemon list, and although it's received a bit of competition this generation, Infernape is still not to be overlooked as a huge offensive threat. This is courtesy of its amazing stat layout and movepool, which enable Infernape to attack both physically and specially. From being a wallbreaker to abusing Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, or Work Up, Infernape's great offensive capabilities will continue to make it shine even when faced with many of the new Pokemon BW has brought to the competitive battling scene.
Anybody can admit that this article overrates Infernape, but it can easily be fixed! Infernape is a dangerous mixed attacker and has a lot of set up opprtunities, but it will find itself outclassed often. I agree with Articblast that yee's is too negative - Infernape isn't bad to the point where it cannot fit onto a team and will find itself outclassed in almost situations. What could happen is the points could be mixed together, making Infernape be viewed as a mixed bag. That way, I won't get the wrong idea about Infernape being too good, but I won't get the wrong idea that Infernape is unusable. Some may argue that Infernape is unusable, but if it was actually unusable, lower ranked player would have replaced it on their teams by now, right? 27th or whatever it is means that there are most likely some successful teams out there that are using Infernape.

tl;dr Overview shouldn't be too biased for or against the Pokemon, since if it only points out the pros of a Pokemon, then there is a problem (a lot of current overviews do this), but if it isn't going to point out how a Pokemon can effectively be used in the overview, their interest will shift away from that Pokemon, and everything on that Pokemon's analysis is almost obsolete since nobody will read it.

I may not be that knowledgable of how an article should be written but I really don't want an overview to be too negative. This is a great idea, but I don't know if that kind of update is the right approach

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Myzozoa, I should point out that there's really no reason to have italics in your Deoxys-D Overview where you put them. You also might want to conclude with something. You say two counter-strategies and then abruptly end it, which is just, well, abrupt. Also, don't write off its offenses so quickly, there's a set that utilizes them well and STAB Psycho Boost, regardless of the size of its stat, packs a punch, as does super effective Thunder/Hidden Power Fire.

Nachos, your overviews seem like an overview of your opinion on the Pokemon. What you're supposed to do is explain a Pokemon's strengths and weaknesses, why you would use it. Generally, you shouldn't say "only low-ranked players use this Pokemon" in an analysis, in almost all cases Pokemon are used for a reason. You're not giving an overview of what the Pokemon can do/why it should be used, you're giving your opinion.

Just a few things I noticed quickly.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Myzozoa, I should point out that there's really no reason to have italics in your Deoxys-D Overview where you put them. You also might want to conclude with something. You say two counter-strategies and then abruptly end it, which is just, well, abrupt. Also, don't write off its offenses so quickly, there's a set that utilizes them well and STAB Psycho Boost, regardless of the size of its stat, packs a punch, as does super effective Thunder/Hidden Power Fire.

Edited.

I feel like the main point of these overviews should be were a pokemon fits in the metagame. A Darmanitan overview should be explicit in mandating Drought support, it fills a niche. A Rotom-w overview would talk about its amazing versatility that allows it to do so much for so many different team styles. You don't want to be misleading about what a pokemon does. For a pokemon like Politoed, you wouldn't talk about how powerful it is with Choice Specs, you'd talk about how much Drizzle helps out Tentacruel, Ferrothorn, Tornadus-t, etc. Overviews should be realistic about pokemon that persist in OU despite many drawbacks. I think that if someone were to write a Forretress overview it would talk about how it struggles to Rapid Spin and Spike in the current metagame, despite having a lot of positives. It would get a mixed review. Infernape is essentially very hard to use, and the overview shouldn't shirk that and act like it's really good when it's actually underwhelming.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@yee

I have already reserved Xatu, so i will be writing its overview. But any advising is helpful!

Also please people try to be more serious. For example Nachos i get that Metagross is terrible, but you know that the overview you wrote is not formal, and is not even an overview. It is a paragraph of hate. Of 'course mention why it isn't good, but also mention his few niche roles. Mention that he is a decent Lati@s, Gengar, etc pursuit trapper, that can use SR, just as Tyranitar, but for teams that don't want to use Tyranitar. Those kind of stuff. We are not writing overviews for tourneys, we are writing overviews for any kind of people that would want to use Metagross, so the language and the content should be more appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)