Protean Palace

Something potentially bad about this meta is that def mons can only keep their type for a single turn. This also means that if a defensive mon wants to become ghost or steel type, it needs to use a move of that type.

behold, true terror:

Delibird @ Leftovers
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond
- Rapid Spin
- Ariel Ace

Gimmicky, yet very fun! Hustle + Protean actually make a pretty great combo!

Darmanitan in this metagame

Is no one scared of genesect?? Have you guys even seen its movepool?
Notable moves may be: extremespeed, shift gear, bug buzz, flamethrower, u-turn, ice beam, iron head, thunderbolt, techno blast water, blaze kick, energy ball, psychic, toxic, shadow claw.

Btw, what does simple beam do? Change one ability or both?

snip genesect extremespeed
I made a post about this, its espeed has the potential to be 50% stronger than arceus's thanks to download. And the way this metagame works, the opposing counter has to keep spaming a certain type of attack to wall an attacker. For eg, a wall HAS to spam ghost/rock/steel attacks against genesect to wall its espeed. 3 attack+shiftgear seems very threatening. Shame only 1 mon learns espeed+taunt(deoxy)

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
This is false. If it wasn't possible, then Joim wouldn't have approved it, and he has. There are ways to code multiple abilities on the same 'mon, just look at Gen-Next, Zeral's pet mod, where in he gave some Pokemon Levitate intrinsically, so that they could also use another ability as well.
No, just no.

No offense man, you're a cool guy, but please don't try to argue about a code you don't know.

Gen NEXT levitating instinctively is used through adding a ground immunity in scripts.js to the pokemon manually, doing this for all 718 pokemon for a protean effect(which would take a while to figure how to do in the first place for just 1 pokemon) is purely insane. I'm assuming zarel just calls it an artificial levitate so it fits what the purpose is of what he's doing with the code, that and it's a lot easier to explain to the public.

Also, it's possible that joim may have just wanted, oh idk, a good discussion, even if it is impossible to play, the pure theorymon of an amazing concept is always good, even though my previous remark says this might be impossible but, joim always figures things out because well; #joimlogic, but don't think gen NEXT immediately means that it's already out there.

No, just no.

No offense man, you're a cool guy, but please don't try to argue about a code you don't know.

Gen NEXT levitating instinctively is used through adding a ground immunity in scripts.js to the pokemon manually, doing this for all 718 pokemon for a protean effect(which would take a while to figure how to do in the first place for just 1 pokemon) is purely insane. I'm assuming zarel just calls it an artificial levitate so it fits what the purpose is of what he's doing with the code, that and it's a lot easier to explain to the public.

Also, it's possible that joim may have just wanted, oh idk, a good discussion, even if it is impossible to play, the pure theorymon of an amazing concept is always good, even though my previous remark says this might be impossible but, joim always figures things out because well; #joimlogic, but don't think gen NEXT immediately means that it's already out there.
FFR, you should always check the OP when arguing about weather or not a metagame is possible to code, (or a similar topic), because you might find statements like...
At the moment, there isn't a server that supports this format, however, Joim mentioned that it is possible to implement and it'll likely be up in a while.
I had this much longer post written in my own defense talking about how it could be done, and how I knew how Gen Next worked, and how I know exactly one or two things about Java Script, but I didn't need to. In fact, I could have just quoted that in my first post and we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Arcanine suffers from moveslot-syndrome, so it could make good use of not needing a recoil move. Close Combat, Crunch, Extreme Speed, and Flame Charge would provide:
  1. Coverage
  2. Reliable, strong priority
  3. Speed

A Mechanics Question:

Do Normal type moves affected by Aerialate, Pixilate and Refrigerate turn you into a Flying, Fairy or Ice Type?

Also:
Thunderbolt, Ice Beam and (lol) HP fighting are now viable on offensive Lati@s. BoltBeam has very good neutral coverage and thunderbolt removes all of Lati@s weaknesses by virtue of Levitate. HP fighting minimises Pursuit damage and does a ton of damage to Tyranitar.

Offensive Shedinja just got 10x more annoying. Want to use a ghost move? Sucker Punch/Protect. Want to use a fighting move? Shadow Sneak.

Last edited:
It might seem natural that those abilities change your type accordingly in this OM. However, due to the lack of a similar thing in-game, it was left as default, which means that normal typed attacks, with Aerilate or not, will turn you into a Normal-type (and yea... no STAB in that case). Nonetheless, I will "fix" it if you guys agree.

EDIT:
Around the Protean mechanics subject, it's probably worth it to add to the OP that Flying Press changes the user type to Fighting only.

EDIT 2:
On second thought, I will assume that current interaction with Aerilate et al is actually a bug and fix it unless otherwise requested.

Last edited:

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
I really wanna play this meta, unfortunately it seems like we have to request battles right here, because I've been there a few times, and no one really responds.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Anytime you want to battle, just message me on main, and I'll hop in on Pandora, as long as it's the only place hosting it. ;)

Well, on request I am disclosing the code for Protean Palace:

Code:
{
        name: "Protean Palace",
        section: "Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['Pokemon', 'Standard', 'Team Preview'],
        banlist: ['Uber', 'Soul Dew', 'Gengarite', 'Kangaskhanite', 'Lucarionite'],
        onBeforeMove: function(pokemon, target, move) {
            if (!move) return;
            var moveType = '';
            if (move.id === 'hiddenpower') {
                moveType = pokemon.hpType;
            } else if (move.type === 'Normal' && !pokemon.ignore['Ability']) {
                switch(pokemon.ability) {
                    case 'aerilate':
                        moveType = 'Flying';
                        break;
                    case 'pixilate':
                        moveType = 'Fairy';
                        break;
                    case 'refrigerate':
                        moveType = 'Ice';
                        break;
                    default:
                        moveType = 'Normal';
                }
            } else {
                moveType = move.type;
            }
            if (pokemon.getTypes().join() !== moveType) {
                this.add('-start', pokemon, 'typechange', moveType);
                pokemon.setType(moveType);
            }
        }
    }

Oh, nice. Good thing I discovered the thread after Slayer posted the code. (if y'know what I mean)

Playable on Sapphire.

And at long short last...

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure/Unnerve
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Hone Claws
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake / Crunch

Not bad, right?

EDIT: Slayer are you sure that's it? No Mods needed? Because that doesn't work for me... battle crashes!

EDIT #2: Wrong dactyl set for the win? Shoutout to Spartan for pointing that out.

EDIT #3: Disabled/Removed from Server, crashes when both players choose their respecting moves.

EDIT #4: My Server is 100% up-to-date now. :3

EDIT #5: First functional Protean Palace battle on Sapphire.

Last edited:
Oh, nice. Good thing I discovered the thread after Slayer posted the code. (if y'know what I mean)

(Un)Playable on sapphire.psim.us.

And at long short last...

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure/Unnerve
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Hone Claws
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake / Crunch

Not bad, right?

EDIT: Slayer are you sure that's it? No Mods needed? Because that doesn't work for me... battle crashes!

EDIT #2: Wrong dactyl set for the win? Shoutout to Spartan for pointing that out.

EDIT #3: Disabled/Removed from Server, crashes when both players choose their respecting moves.
It should work if your server is 100% up to date.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This format is now playable on Joim's Lab! With 3 servers available for it, finding a battle shouldn't be a problem! I'll be on one of them whenever I'm free to play so feel free to PM me there or on main to battle.

Bump cuz interesting
also, now you could run moves like Hidden Power / Bulldoze / Icy Wind better, so...

Keldeo@Choice Specs
Ability: Justified & Protean
Modest / Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Dark / Ghost / Electric
- Icy Wind / Scald

Scizor@Scizorite
Ability: Technician --> Technician & Protean
Adamant / Careful Nature
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe | 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 Spe
- Roost
- U-Turn
- Pursuit / Knock Off / Aerial Ace
- Bullet Punch / Quick Attack

Wow, such known bugs list >_> I fixed that ages ago even in Joim's Lab
Well, I didn't want to bump this, but since it has already been done: an update to Protean Palace's code

Code:
{
        name: "Protean Palace",
        section: "Other Metagames",

ruleset: ['Pokemon', 'Standard', 'Team Preview'],
        banlist: ['Uber', 'Soul Dew', 'Gengarite', 'Kangaskhanite', 'Lucarionite'],
        onPrepareHit: function (source, target, move) {
            var type = move.type;
            if (type && type !== '???' && source.getTypes().join() !== type) {
                if (!source.setType(type)) return;
                this.add('-start', source, 'typechange', type);
            }
        }
}
What does this mean?

The previous implementation was done while we were still lacking some knowledge on how Protean works. For example, we didn't know what happened when a Pokémon with Metronome or Assist used Protean. Similarly, the interaction of Protean with Electrify or Ion Deluge was unknown.
Well, we now have the answers for those questions: Protean effect activates pretty much as one of the last effects prior to the move hitting.
Therefore, if a Pokémon uses Flamethrower when called by Metronome, it will become Fire-type. However, if the user is (simultaneously) affected by Electrify, it will become Electric-type.

I already updated the mechanics in Pandora. I would update them in Joim's Lab but RIP.

(Just for the record: yes, if Sylveon had Pixilate and Protean at the same time but somehow lost its Fairy type, it would get it back by using Hyper Voice.)

EDIT: Metro-Proteanmons, anyone?

Last edited:
If someone could make this work :P

Shedinja @ Air Balloon
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Just hope they don't have w-o-w/toxic/volt absob like ability :D

This is a real low chance set, but I would like to see someone do this :3
Good Luck!

Pokemon that will love this meta: Anything that has a godawful type combo (Exception: if by 'godawful' you mean 'overly vulnerable to Stealth Rock', sorry, you're still screwed), anything with notable off-STAB moves (Victini's powerful Electric moves), any Prankster (Changes its type before you do), anything with an Ability that fits poorly to its type (All those Electric types immune to Electric and Water types immune to Water), Special attackers in general can use Hidden Power as defensive coverage ("Alakazam became Steel type!" or "Jolteon became Flying type!"), anything that has weather-abuse moves but a sub-optimal typing for STAB-abusing weather.

Pokemon that will hate this meta: Anything with a fantastic or above-average type combo (Fairy/Steel has none of Fairy's weaknesses, Electric/Flying skips out entirely on Electric's one weakness if no Gravity/Smack Down/etc comes into play, and so on), anything that relies primarily on its powerful STABs in the first place (Fire/Fighting can use other types to its benefit, but does most of the work on its own), anything whose type combo goes particularly smoothly with its Ability (Eelektross), walls in general, slow Pokemon in general, and Greninja.

Specific examples include...

-Kyurem-Black, if it doesn't get banned. Dragon/Ice is painful defensively, but who cares now! Its lack of a proper physical Ice STAB is now completely ignorable: laugh maniacally at turning into an Electric type while using STAB Fusion Bolt. Hurrah!

-Most Normal types. All those Normal types with fantastic coverage but, you know, they're Normal? Yeah, now they can be pretty much anything they want at full power and completely ignore being Normal.

-Malamar suddenly gets STAB on Superpower and can completely ignore how horrible Dark/Psychic actually is as a type combo.

-Tyrantrum suddenly get full benefit from Strong Jaw: instead of having to choose between either using STAB or using Strong Jaw (Which is basically STAB on specific moves) it gets both at the same time!

-Gliscor can now wall you like crazy because it can escape that double Ice weakness. Gliscor already often runs Protect just to avoid Knock Off and buy itself healing time, and now it becomes a Normal type in the process!

-Groudon can finally get both STAB and weather abuse at the same time!

-In general many Fire types with Solarbeam love the Sun abuse potential: not only are they getting STAB, but 2 of the three things Grass is good against is stuff Grass resists but Fire is vulnerable to. (Ground, Rock, Water) The remaining one is still super effective on Fire, so it's a great switch to pull. Watch out for Mega Charizard Y.

-Hitmonchan's flexible set of elemental punches is actually maybe usable.

-Gyarados no longer cares that it lacks a real Flying STAB and its Mega form lacks a good Dark STAB!

-Suddenly Clawitzer and Mega Blastoise get STAB on all their Mega Launcher boosted moves. Holy crap. Dragon Pulse in particular renders them resistant to their usual weaknesses: switch in something with Electric or Grass moves and they may have rendered themselves resistant while you switched!

-Mega Heracross' off-STAB Skill Link moves (Bullet Seed and Rock Blast) are off-STAB no longer! Also it can escape that terrible double Flying weakness.

-Fear Porygon-Z's coverage and stuff.

Something worth noting is that there is absolutely no need to pay attention to STAB. That is, if Psychic isn't adding coverage to Alakazam's set, drop it! Since everything gets STAB automatically, there's no reason to care about what STABs a Pokemon normally gets. Dragons can ignore their Dragon STABs if they feel they're not adding anything, Poison can ignore their Poison STAB, etc. This means any Pokemon who has one or more STAB moves it only uses because they're STAB and therefore its best bet on neutral targets can drop the entire concept in favor of something actually useful.

Another point worth noting is that Steel move access is a lot more valuable for switching to the defensively amazing Steel type. Bullet Punch especially can be used as a 'I wanna be Steel NOW' button.

Poisoning, Paralyzing, and Burning are in weird positions: no Pokemon can just assume it's immune like it normally would (Barring Abilities that provide immunity), but lots of them can potentially become immune on an expected attempt via move usage. Two Pokemon both use Toxic, and the one that goes second cries. Keep in mind: type-based immunities do not cure status effects after the fact, only Ability-based immunities do that. If you're hit by Toxic and then become a Steel or Poison type, you're still afflicted with Toxic.

Something to note is that any type that you can be immune to through typing is vastly less appealing than normal, because not only can the opponent switch in a relevant Pokemon if they have one, but they can potentially 'dodge' the move by using a move of the type immune to that move. Particularly relevant is those types with priority: Normal with Quick Attack and Feint and Extreme Speed to dodge Ghost moves, Ghost with Shadow Sneak to dodge Normal and Fighting moves, Fairy with Baby Doll Eyes for dodging Dragon moves while screwing up their Attack stat, Sucker Punch for dodging Psychic moves (I don't yet know if you change type if it fails, but it's sort of irrelevant since that would mean they weren't using a move being Dark would render you immune to anyway), Bullet Punch for dodging Poison moves... you can even use Snatch as another 'dodge Psychic' move and or Endure as another 'dodge Ghost' move! Too bad no priority Grass move exists to give Spore immunity.

Entrapment Abilities are a lot weaker. Anything with a Ghost move can escape even Shadow Tag, anything with a Flying move can escape Arena Trap, and anything at all can escape Magnet Pull by just not using a Steel move.

The type-changing moves and Abilities are pretty useless now too. Camouflage was never amazing, but now it's just redundant.

Synchronoise is now completely useless instead of mostly useless, since anything it affects is resistant full stop.

Sandstorm and Hail are even less appealing then normal if you don't have Ability-based immunity because you can't count on being immune to your own weather. This is particularly painful for the setters. Not only that, but in Sandstorm's case tons of opponents can potentially take advantage of the Special Defense boost spontaneously.

Something worth noting: Adaptability boosts everything you do.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)