Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Adaptability + Protean = 2x STAB on everything.

This meta is one of the most fun metas I've had. One thing that performed amazingly for me that no one seem to use is Physically Defensive Arcanine.

Arcanine @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-o-wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Extremespeed
- Morning Sun

In a meta where physical attackers are much more common than everything, Intimidate is a very valuable ability to have. It's a great Dragonite and Entei check. Will-o-wisp is there to spread burns, Extremespeed is to revenge kill weakened pokes with around 30% HP or lower. Rocky Helmet punishes anything that spams Extremespeed or Fake Out. From experience, it performs pretty good so far.

Double post, but fun gimmick coming through.

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Hurricane
- Moonblast
- U-turn/Switcheroo

Nature Power is a status move that becomes Tri Attack, but still gets priority because of Prankster. This time, it gets STAB in it. What's the fun of this? Well, this is probably the only priority move that aren't affected by Intimidate and get punished by Rocky Helmet.

MAMP

MAMP!
Ferrothorn is really great in this meta, heres a set I've been using:

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Impish Nature
- Explosion
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
(spikes, koff, gyro, protect are all good options too, it depends on what your team needs)

Helmet + Barbs punishes priority spam nicely, and Ferro has the bulk and typing to switch in on most priority. It sets rocks which are very useful in this meta, and can spread para. Explosion is very powerful even when uninvested, and it has a surprisingly diverse repertoire of offensive moves to take advantage of, including Knock Off. It also takes out Shedinja with Iron Barbs, which is nice.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Been playing around, and have noticed that mons with Adaptability+Protean are way too powerful, dealing monstrous damage practically 2HKOing everything. I would either like to discuss a potential ban of Protean+Adaptability or potentially banning these following mons:

: Hits incredibly powerful of its base 135 SpAtk, while also having a great movepool consisting of: Shadow Ball, Tbolt, Psychic, Tri Attack and many more while also having great setup moves in Agility and Nasty Plot. With STAB and Adaptability boosts under its belt, it becomes truly menacing and is deserving of at least suspect.

: Another powerful threat thanks to Adaptability+Protean with access to the all so coveted Knock Off, and a new STAB move in Superpower, which allows it to be one of the best if not the best wallbreaker in the tier, having incredible power due to again Adaptability+Protean.

: Possessing amazing base 150 Atk and also fantastic base 145 Spd, MegaDrill is a force to be reckoned with. Gaining STAB in Drill Run and Knock Off really helps it to deal with certain checks and counters that use to face it before. Being able to outpace the majority of the meta, while also dealing insane amount of damage is a bit overwhelming imo due to Adaptability+Protean.

tl;dr If there are any problems in Protean Palace atmosphere, I believe that Adaptability+Protean is the most pressing and should at least deserve a looking into.

Reactions: EV
I've actually found that Porygon-Z is the only adaptability mon that has gained much at all. The scarf set seems to be the most effective in my experience; I tried agility but I just couldn't even seem to find a good time to set up as any e speeder could easily revenge me afterwards. Crawdaunt is spamming aqua jet most of the time thanks to its low speed, which isn't an improvement from standard. It also can't compete with espeed's priority. Beedrill is something I see a lot of on the ladder, but the fact that it gets OHKOd by every priority move in the tier is disappointing to say the least. Even defensive Arcanine has a good chance to kill kill after SR.

8 Atk Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Beedrill: 192-226 (70.8 - 83.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

68 attack evs can guarantee the kill if you don't mind dropping a bit of bulk.

I haven't run into Dragalge enough to formulate an opinion, but it doesn't seem to gain too much either. It does have some nice coverage options including scald/hydro pump, thunderbolt, and shadow ball, but its low speed and lack of physical bulk isn't doing it any favors.

Also Mega Medicham is 300% stupid.

MAMP

MAMP!
Been playing around, and have noticed that mons with Adaptability+Protean are way too powerful, dealing monstrous damage practically 2HKOing everything. I would either like to discuss a potential ban of Protean+Adaptability or potentially banning these following mons:

: Hits incredibly powerful of its base 135 SpAtk, while also having a great movepool consisting of: Shadow Ball, Tbolt, Psychic, Tri Attack and many more while also having great setup moves in Agility and Nasty Plot. With STAB and Adaptability boosts under its belt, it becomes truly menacing and is deserving of at least suspect.

: Another powerful threat thanks to Adaptability+Protean with access to the all so coveted Knock Off, and a new STAB move in Superpower, which allows it to be one of the best if not the best wallbreaker in the tier, having incredible power due to again Adaptability+Protean.

: Possessing amazing base 150 Atk and also fantastic base 145 Spd, MegaDrill is a force to be reckoned with. Gaining STAB in Drill Run and Knock Off really helps it to deal with certain checks and counters that use to face it before. Being able to outpace the majority of the meta, while also dealing insane amount of damage is a bit overwhelming imo due to Adaptability+Protean.

tl;dr If there are any problems in Protean Palace atmosphere, I believe that Adaptability+Protean is the most pressing and should at least deserve a looking into.
I disagree completely; in my experience, Adaptability mons really aren't all that much of a threat due to the offense centered nature of the metagame. All of the Adaptability mons are very potent wallbreakers, but walls aren't particularly common in the tier. Porygon-Z is slow and frail, meaning it gets outsped and KO'd by a majority of the tier unless it runs Scarf, which comes with its own disadvantages and still doesn't save it from priority or faster scarfers, like Kyu-B and Lando-T. Crawdaunt is slow af, so slow that not even Scarf can salvage. Again, it also quite frail and drops to most priority. Aqua Jet is nice, but it gets STAB on that normally anyway. Beedrill is also ludicrously frail and loses to most priority and scarfers, and it can't even run Sash to help it deal with this. Imo Adaptability isn't an issue in this tier atm.

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Ok if this OM were to have viability rankings, Megacham would definitely be S+. It's been said but holy shit Fake Out + Bullet Punch single handedly breaks so many things and BP makes it hard to revenge since it resists Espeed. The only switch in to this behemoth I can think of is Sableye, which can only abuse its great typing for one turn so it is forced to switch out after it clicks Will-O-Wisp. Good luck recovering on Cham as well when its spamming HJK on you.

Mega Aero is also ridiculously good. STAB Tough Claws Double Edge >>

Ok if this OM were to have viability rankings, Megacham would definitely be S+. It's been said but holy shit Fake Out + Bullet Punch single handedly breaks so many things and BP makes it hard to revenge since it resists Espeed. The only switch in to this behemoth I can think of is Sableye, which can only abuse its great typing for one turn so it is forced to switch out after it clicks Will-O-Wisp. Good luck recovering on Cham as well when its spamming HJK on you.

Mega Aero is also ridiculously good. STAB Tough Claws Double Edge >>
Slowbro can also come in on it, but it has to play around carefully with its moves so that it doesn't subject itself to an HJK after recovering or Scalding. I like to run Protect to bait that HJK miss and generally stall for recovery / scout on it.

Has anyone tried weather teams? I know Sun has historically suffered from its best abusers not having STAB on Fire moves, but now that that's remedied, I wonder if it couldn't compete with rain.

MAMP

MAMP!
Slowbro can also come in on it, but it has to play around carefully with its moves so that it doesn't subject itself to an HJK after recovering or Scalding. I like to run Protect to bait that HJK miss and generally stall for recovery / scout on it.

Has anyone tried weather teams? I know Sun has historically suffered from its best abusers not having STAB on Fire moves, but now that that's remedied, I wonder if it couldn't compete with rain.
As for weather, I've used sand quite a bit and its pretty solid. TTar is a neat mon, with a lot of power and coverage; its typing is garbage before it attacks though, which really hinders it. I haven't used Hippowdon, but Chopin Alkaninoff has been running it and it seems decent from the times I've played against him. The real reason to run sand is Excadrill of course, which really benefits from the frailty of this meta, and its steel-typing before attacking/after using Iron Head lets it take on priority.

Well. I topped the ladder with my darude sand team. Excadrill's Iron Head gives it Steel type, making it resist Fake Out and Extremespeed. Most of the time, I spam Iron Head to almost everyone with Excadrill.

What have people been using as an answer to DD Dragonite? Things that rely on Dragonite's or their own typing are shaky, and given its outrageous coverage options, I can't think of much that can be relied upon to take a hit and hit back, especially considering the predictions required for that. Espeed means that anything frail and neutral is not a check, no matter how fast.

MAMP

MAMP!
What have people been using as an answer to DD Dragonite? Things that rely on Dragonite's or their own typing are shaky, and given its outrageous coverage options, I can't think of much that can be relied upon to take a hit and hit back, especially considering the predictions required for that. Espeed means that anything frail and neutral is not a check, no matter how fast.
There aren't really any counters per se, I've just been relying on Stealth Rock and offensive presence to keep it from setting up, and lots of Rocky Helmets to whittle it down if it does set up combined with Intimidate to remove its boosts. Sash mons, Alakazam in particular, can also revenge kill it. Against Dragonite it's really important to keep rocks up to remove Multiscale to reduce its ability to switch in and make it harder for it to set up.

So far, I'm using Arcanine in my previous post.

This meta is one of the most fun metas I've had. One thing that performed amazingly for me that no one seem to use is Physically Defensive Arcanine.

Arcanine @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
- Will-o-wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Extremespeed
- Morning Sun

In a meta where physical attackers are much more common than everything, Intimidate is a very valuable ability to have. It's a great Dragonite and Entei check. Will-o-wisp is there to spread burns, Extremespeed is to revenge kill weakened pokes with around 30% HP or lower. Rocky Helmet punishes anything that spams Extremespeed or Fake Out. From experience, it performs pretty good so far.
Any set that isn't Lum Berry get burned by Will-o-wisp. Other than that, I'd prefer to remove Multiscale by setting Stealth Rocks early or by darude Sandstorm damage (for non Leftovers variants). There aren't any counters, but so do Mega Medicham, Porygon-Z and Kyurem Black.

While not the most potent or prominent thing in this Metagame, I'd like to point out an underrated member:
Hitmontop@Life Orb
Technician
Still haven't come up with an optimal EV spread, but I currently use this simple spread: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe (if someone can suggest a good spread, please do!)
Adamant
Fake Out
Mach Punch
Sucker Punch
Bullet Punch / Close Combat

I've always been a fan of TechniTop as a finisher/cleaner, but with this metagame his utility increases in form of powerful technician priorities. Not to be used against Espeeders, but you can finish them off with Fake Out if they are weak enough.

Something I've been using on the ladder is SD BP Celebi. Plays just as you'd expect to, and I've found it works pretty well. Sucker punch is actually somewhat usable, even with the presence of e speeders It is a little weak at +2 though, so it's best for picking off weakened mons. However, Seed Bomb lets you play type switching mindgames on Ferrothorn to avoid the leech seed as well as wear it down for the pass receiver. It's not even a contact move so you beat it out pretty easily.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb / Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Recover

Maximum defense and Health for ease of setting up on resisted hits / weaker threats. It can pass to many things, although I prefer Entei or Zygarde since they are the fastest e speeders.

Last edited:
However, Seed Bomb lets you play type switching mindgames on Ferrothorn to avoid the leech seed as well as wear it down for the pass receiver. It's not even a contact move so you beat it out pretty easily.
If Ferrothorn sticks to mostly Grass and Steel-type moves, you have to set up to +4 on it to do anything resembling damage, and those Swords Dances provide good opportunities for Ferro to set up Leech Seeds on you. Sucker Punch is fantastic against a lot of the meta, and is probably the superior option here.

Mew is another possibility, wielding better typing on the switch and less predictability, but a basically useless ability (short of, like, Scald, anything status-inflicting renders the user immune to that status). It can also run Drain Punch to beat Dragonite one-on-one if you're willing to drop Sucker Punch.

If Ferrothorn sticks to mostly Grass and Steel-type moves, you have to set up to +4 on it to do anything resembling damage, and those Swords Dances provide good opportunities for Ferro to set up Leech Seeds on you. Sucker Punch is fantastic against a lot of the meta, and is probably the superior option here.

Mew is another possibility, wielding better typing on the switch and less predictability, but a basically useless ability (short of, like, Scald, anything status-inflicting renders the user immune to that status). It can also run Drain Punch to beat Dragonite one-on-one if you're willing to drop Sucker Punch.
That's a fair point, although one of the biggest reasons I was running Celebi was so that I had an actual Ferrothorn switch in. Mew can't switch into it without getting leeched. Even while doing inconsequential damage, Celebi using Seed Bomb beat most moves Ferrothorn can use, doesn't have to deal with the rocky helmet/iron barbs recoil either since Seed Bomb is non contact, and can threaten to set up a SD, BP, or Recover if they don't use Leech. I'd say it scares Ferrothorn into using Leech Seed, not that Ferrothorn scares Celebi into using Seed Bomb since Celebi does win in the long run. It's definitely not a slap on mon like Dragonite is and really depends on the team. Mew might be a better option for others.

Having problems with Stall? Well don't worry, here are two pokes that I absolutely in love with right now:

Heracross (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Heracross, simply breaks Stall. As shown in this battle (against a player in the 1400s, probably an alt of someone), some residual damage on Slowbro leads to a 6-0. With Moxie+Protean, Heracross gets a frightening STAB on EVERY move (doesn't have to rely on Megahorn anymore!), and +1 attack after every kill. Subbing down against a Chansey or something lets Heracross outpace pretty much anything on a stall team. While this is a wallbreaker, Gengar is a bit different.

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpA
Impish Nature
- Hex / Energy Ball / Thunderbolt / Whatever STAB you want
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond

I made the mistake of putting Black Sludge on Gengar; had I used Leftovers, it may have lived longer and fulfilled its role better. Gengar is the ultimate stallbreaker: Taunt put a lot of pressure on my opponent's team, as he couldn't switch Mega-Sableye in and everything else doesn't want to take a Taunt or Will-o-Wisp. This also beats Shedinja 1v1 (see below for examples), and can even clutch a kill with Destiny Bond.
Scenario 1
Gengar switches in.
Shedinja uses Swords Dance (now at +2)
It cannot OHKO- +2 252+ Atk Shedinja Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 84+ Def Gengar: 270-320 (83.8 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.
In the same turn, Gengar can use Will-o-Wisp to KO, or do what I personally prefer: using Destiny Bond. This means that the next turn, if Shedinja uses Shadow Sneak, it will be a double down.
After using Destiny Bond, I would use Destiny Bond again to scout if Shedinja has protect. If the you both didn't faint yet, then proceed to use Will-o-Wisp, to kill Shedinja.

This becomes even easier if Gengar is pivoted in or something.

I'll do a analysis of the other Pokemon later.
Why do this month's OMoTM have to be so gooood?

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Lolwut does anyone actually use stall in Protean Palace? Those are pretty cool sets (although I kinda think the Gengar set is gimmicky and Sheddy really isn't hard to beat) but stall is next to non existent lmao. The trouble I see with Heracross is that in such a fast paced meta it is likely going to be outsped and hit with an attack before it can Sub, meaning it could possibly lose its boosts. After the third Sub and you've got the Salac boost, it is really easy to beat it with the omnipresent priority in the meta. While the sets seem cool, I don't really see how they are too viable, since stall and Shedinja aren't really huge problems and priority and strong, fast attackers are everywhere.

That is true, but the person in the replay is currently 9 on the ladder (not incredibly impressive, but still pretty good), and had I not beaten him, I think he'd be top 5. I don't know how viable his team is, but assuming he climbed all the way up there with only that team, that's really good.

Nobody seems to recognize a decent powerhouse: Strong Jaw Tyrantrum.
Before, Strong Jaw was supposed to compliment a normal set, and basically just have crunch, and maybe one of the fangs. But now, all the Tyrant King needs, are the three fang moves, and crunch. And if you need something against fairies, replace one of the three with Poison Fang.

The Real Red

Banned deucer.
Lolwut does anyone actually use stall in Protean Palace? Those are pretty cool sets (although I kinda think the Gengar set is gimmicky and Sheddy really isn't hard to beat) but stall is next to non existent lmao. The trouble I see with Heracross is that in such a fast paced meta it is likely going to be outsped and hit with an attack before it can Sub, meaning it could possibly lose its boosts. After the third Sub and you've got the Salac boost, it is really easy to beat it with the omnipresent priority in the meta. While the sets seem cool, I don't really see how they are too viable, since stall and Shedinja aren't really huge problems and priority and strong, fast attackers are everywhere.
Yes, people do use stall. With regards to stalling methods, Shedinja is a common theme I've seen and honestly in my team I don't really have much of a counter for it.. I would probably say either hazards or sandstorm sets can easily make it not a problem however. There is also the easy option: Switch-in ferrothorn so iron barbs makes mincemeat of shedinja, as well as allowing a free switch to a hazards setter.

In my team, I use the extremely common gliscor troll set:

idek.gif

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Roost
- Toxic
- Knock Off

Honestly, I've had a hard time trying to even get round a gliscor if the circumstances aren't completely correct. Hell, one toxic and usually, if predicting right, that mon is as good as dead if it has no strong STAB fighting type move. As of late, even the dnite espeed spamming set can't really take this thing down, unless you catch the gliscor spamming roost/protect, in which superpower usually OHKO's it. However, the only real main counter to this set orso I've found as of yet is Megacham (this is, and I repeat NOT UPON SWITCH-IN. This moveset usually works when the previous mon has been KO'd).

lelidek.gif

Medicham (F) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt/Ice punch
- Bullet Punch

I would not advise an immediate fake out, since gliscor users will no doubt predict it. Instead, use it to your advantage. Use bullet punch. Bullet punch literally forces this gliscor set to use knock off/roost, as the protean effect makes you steel, and steel obviously cannot be poisoned.. Since roost makes it flying type, and roost negates flying type, this is perfect as it is stuck with normal typing (it can't really outspeed a megacham, and protect only lasts usually 1/2 turns at best) which easily gives megacham an easy way to OHKO with either drain punch or hjk, depending on set (I personally run drain since if you are caught in a switch-in toxic, that usually isn't fun to deal with, plus the added health is nice. On top of this, gliscor's protect could be critical as one bad play and your megacham is down for nothing). Even then, if you do use fake out, and the gliscor does get the psn for whatever reason, you could definitely use that to your advantage using zen headbutt. I'm not doing a calc, but from what I've seen it's usually an OHKO.

The other way around gliscor, like I said before, is dnite.

lel what.gif

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Roost
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Common sets of dnite I have seen do actually use DD over roost, but I digress. I prefer to roost to get multiscale effect if need be. Helps a lot.
Usually, people would just set up one DD, then spam espeed and be done with almost every single mon. However, if a gliscor gets a toxic off, it can be a real pain to deal with the protect/roost spamming. Which is where superpower comes in.
Since protect/roost both make gliscor normal, and gliscor is hardly gonna outspeed a dnite, superpower will OHKO guaranteed. An espeed even at +1, will not. From my experiences, it takes a full-health'd gliscor down to about 15-17% HP. Which is why I reccommend superpower.
Even then, if you predict the incoming toxic, that's even better since EQ will more than likely OHKO the annoying pest. With life orb's added damage, it'll no doubt OHKO.

If anyone else has a way around gliscor other than megacham or dnite, I'd love to know, honestly. Or even a more trollier set of gliscor, which would be fun to stop all those all-out attackers in the meta.

EDIT: After talking to the OM room, I found another option. Similar to dnite, but can also negate the toxic. Zygarde.
Now, zygarde is pretty much the poorer dnite, with a weaker espeed and no multiscale. But think about this set.

,,,.gif

Zygarde @ Life Orb
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/proteanpalace-248378913

Looking at this replay, not only does zygarde outspeed gliscor (due to a full all-out EV set), but also can make advantage of anything gliscor throws at it. The coil boost allowed an instant OHKO on the dark-typed gliscor, which was obviously going to use toxic to break the setup I'd pulled off instantly. Regardless of whether the move had been taunt, knock off, or even earthquake (to check the coil poison typing), it was still an obvious outcome in the end. Plus, with +1 defense, EQ does hardly anything to zygarde-poison type. Even without life orb, leftovers can be a possible item for zygarde, as shown in this replay here: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/proteanpalace-248380212

The only way I see gliscor having anything against a zygarde is if it can instantly get off a toxic upon switch-in, OR it runs subtox set, which in this meta, I don't think a lot of stalling teams would generically use.

Attachments

Last edited:
Tho (Diggersby) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Foul Play
- U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Filler

Stole the idea from Hidden Type: STAB Huge Power Foul Play has a nasty tendency to murder things, especially things with good Attack stats. Unless they send in a defensive resist, you're very likely to take a big chunk out of the opponent if Diggersby gets a chance to attack. Even aside from Foul Play, Diggersby gets a wide variety of moves that were previously weak by virtue of being unstabbed, but it now has a wide variety of potential STAB coverage moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)