Monotype Prussian Steel | A Steel Hyper Offense Team

Prussian Steel

“When you have slain all of your enemies,
what is left to fear?”

Steel may be seen as a bastion of defense, but to call it only useful in stall and other defensive team compositions would be a terrible waste of power. It relies on steel's innate bulk to let it nuke through the enemy's cores.

"The eagle knows only the hunt and the flight."

Adler von Preußen (Skarmory) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Tailwind
Skarmory's purpose is rather simple: Set up whatever hazard will work best against the enemy, and once salac is activated, tailwind and/or brave bird one last time for a final kill. In general, I'll always set up Stealth Rocks, unless I'm facing a type resistant to rock-- In that case, I'll spam spikes until I need to go towards my last resort to lead to whatever I believe can deal with their lead.

"Today, clansmen, my sword is my voice!"

Feldmarschall (Bisharp) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Psycho Cut
- Swords Dance
A great way to deal with defoggers and shuckles, Bisharp is one of my two Wincons. While a boosted fire, fighting, or ground Wincon is terrifying for my team, Bisharp's Focus Sash allows my team to be less afraid of them; being able to swords dance and sucker punch a boosted foe or at the very least knock his item out first. However, bar this situation, I often find it difficult to find a place for Bisharp to fit onto my team, and am open to replacements.
"If you know where to strike, you need only strike once."

Landwehr (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost
My strongest Wincon, Megazor can easily bust through entire team if allowed to set up. While Roost does limit moveslots, it has saved me multiple times by letting me continue to sweeping. Besides this, Megazor has a pretty standard wincon set, only fearing fire types (which can be used as bait for Heatran regardles.) Overall, Megazor is an incredibly important part of my team despite its simplistic moveset; however, I'm curious about changing up Bug Bite to another move such as Knock Off.
"You have been found guilty. Let the fires cleanse you of your sins."

Totenkopf Husar (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
One of the most important members of my team, Heatran is the only way I have of dealing with most fire types, and excels at his job. The speed EVs allow Heatran to outspeed many other Heatran sets for easier access to Earth Powering them, and the stone edge allows Heatran to face threats such as Mega-Charizard Y and boosted Volcarona-- You haven't lived until you see a +6 Volcarona die in a single hit to stone edge.

"As a soldier you want to get close to enemy cannons. That is not the case when fighting the Prussians."

Schwerer Gustav (Celesteela) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpA / 32 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
A powerhouse if you can get a kill or two, Celesteela's amazing bulk has single-handedly allowed my team to face types that would otherwise destroy my team, such as ground and water. Additionally, while somewhat lacking physical attack, Earthquake allows me to deal with a few niche threats such as special fire types and Heatrans with popped air balloons before continuing to sweep teams with Beast-Boosted Giga Drains.

"Learn as much as you can, and surround yourself with people who know the rest."

Friedrich der Große (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Thunderpunch
- Heart Stamp
The inspiration for my team, Jirachi is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, with its speed helping me deal with problematic pokemon such as Infernape (whose mixed sets cannot be dealt with by Heatran or Celesteela) or foes with boosted attacks. This set previously had Healing Wish, but I found it difficult to find any situation where I could use the move, and thus replaced it with Heart Stamp to deal with Infernape and fighting pokemon more easily.

Notable Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-650808163 (Against a player using my team randomly)

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Prussian Steel

“When you have slain all of your enemies,
what is left to fear?”

Steel may be seen as a bastion of defense, but to call it only useful in stall and other defensive team compositions would be a terrible waste of power. It relies on steel's innate bulk to let it nuke through the enemy's cores.

"The eagle knows only the hunt and the flight."

Adler von Preußen (Skarmory) @ Salac Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Tailwind
Skarmory's purpose is rather simple: Set up whatever hazard will work best against the enemy, and once salac is activated, tailwind and/or brave bird one last time for a final kill. In general, I'll always set up Stealth Rocks, unless I'm facing a type resistant to rock-- In that case, I'll spam spikes until I need to go towards my last resort to lead to whatever I believe can deal with their lead.
"Today, clansmen, my sword is my voice!"

Feldmarschall (Bisharp) @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Psycho Cut
- Swords Dance
A great way to deal with defoggers and shuckles, Bisharp is one of my two Wincons. While a boosted fire, fighting, or ground Wincon is terrifying for my team, Bisharp's Focus Sash allows my team to be less afraid of them; being able to swords dance and sucker punch a boosted foe or at the very least knock his item out first. However, bar this situation, I often find it difficult to find a place for Bisharp to fit onto my team, and am open to replacements.
"If you know where to strike, you need only strike once."

Landwehr (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost
My strongest Wincon, Megazor can easily bust through entire team if allowed to set up. While Roost does limit moveslots, it has saved me multiple times by letting me continue to sweeping. Besides this, Megazor has a pretty standard wincon set, only fearing fire types (which can be used as bait for Heatran regardles.) Overall, Megazor is an incredibly important part of my team despite its simplistic moveset; however, I'm curious about changing up Bug Bite to another move such as Knock Off.
"You have been found guilty. Let the fires cleanse you of your sins."

Totenkopf Husar (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 SpA / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
One of the most important members of my team, Heatran is the only way I have of dealing with most fire types, and excels at his job. The speed EVs allow Heatran to outspeed many other Heatran sets for easier access to Earth Powering them, and the stone edge allows Heatran to face threats such as Mega-Charizard Y and boosted Volcarona-- You haven't lived until you see a +6 Volcarona die in a single hit to stone edge.

"As a soldier you want to get close to enemy cannons. That is not the case when fighting the Prussians."

Schwerer Gustav (Celesteela) @ Assault Vest
Quiet Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
A powerhouse if you can get a kill or two, Celesteela's amazing bulk has single-handedly allowed my team to face types that would otherwise destroy my team, such as ground and water. Additionally, while somewhat lacking physical attack, Earthquake allows me to deal with a few niche threats such as special fire types and Heatrans with popped air balloons before continuing to sweep teams with Beast-Boosted Giga Drains.

"Learn as much as you can, and surround yourself with people who know the rest."

Friedrich der Große (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Thunderpunch
- Heart Stamp
The inspiration for my team, Jirachi is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, with its speed helping me deal with problematic pokemon such as Infernape (whose mixed sets cannot be dealt with by Heatran or Celesteela) or foes with boosted attacks. This set previously had Healing Wish, but I found it difficult to find any situation where I could use the move, and thus replaced it with Heart Stamp to deal with Infernape and fighting pokemon more easily.
Hey MrOakWood, cool team you have here. I have a few suggestions that I think will help improve your team overall.

Skarmory is a great suicide lead for an attempt on HO Steel, unfortunately Custap Berry isn't released in SM. While Salac does a decent job it still is outspeed by a host of threats namely pokemon like Choice Scarf Victini and Tapu Koko which steel teams are already weak to. So since Focus Sash allows Skarmory to live any one attack I gave Skarmory the ability Weak Armor so it could have more speed after 1 physical attack. I also opted to give Skarmory Taunt over Tailwind for 1 reason, to it can stop slower status pokemon and hazard setters like Ferrothorn, Swampert, Clefable and Hippowdon from setting up there hazards.

Next up Bisharp had a strange move and item that doesn't really fit on any viable team Sash+Psycho Cut? So I replaced Sash with Black Glasses, which boosts the power of Dark type moves, the main thing Bisharp will be spamming. Then I replaced Iron Head with Psycho Cut so it could actually hit pokemon like Klefki and other dark types such as Tyranitar, Mandibuzz and Mega Sableye for actual damage, since Iron Head is the overall more viable option.

This pokemon had a fine moveset but was a bit slow for a HO Steel team so I changed it to 252+ Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Speed which is the most effective fully offensive Scizor set. Superpower is better than roost as it allows Scizor to threaten pokemon such as Magnezone which heavily threaten this team as it is able to switchin and pick off 4 pokemon on this team without much trouble at all. Scizor also outspeed 252+ Speed Choice Specs Magnezone which heavily threatens Scizor and the team due to Magnet Pull, HP Fire and Thunderbolt. Bulky Roost SD Scizor should not be on any fully offensive steel team imo.

This team does not really have very many ways to break past bulky water and ground type pokemon that threaten the team such as Suicune, Mega Swampert and Toxapex. So I changed up Heatran's set to Magma Storm for its ability to trap pokemon and wear them down such as Mega Venusaur and Toxapex which threaten Steel teams. Solarbeam+Grassium allows Heatran to one time nuke pokemon such as Gastrodon. I changed up Heatran's EV set so it always ohkoes Mega Charizard Y with Stone Edge. While losing balloon means the team loses one temporary ground immunity you already have a ground-type buster in AV Celesteela. While Skarmory technically is a ground immunity on this team it is just a hazard stack suicude lead.

Skarmory @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Heatran @ Grassium Z
EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Celesteela @ Assault Vest
Quiet Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Heart Stamp
- Thunder Punch / Healing Wish

Hope my rate helps n_n! Also ik you said that Healing Wish was hard to find a time to use but do really give it a other chance as it allows MZor, Bisharp and Celesteela another chance to clean through the opposing team.

I can understand the rest of the team; however, could you explain why Weak Armor would be better on Skarmory? Sturdy already gives a pseudo-focus sash, and Weak Armor only gives speed on physical moves. I'm not saying you're wrong; simply that I don't understand.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
I can understand the rest of the team; however, could you explain why Weak Armor would be better on Skarmory? Sturdy already gives a pseudo-focus sash, and Weak Armor only gives speed on physical moves. I'm not saying you're wrong; simply that I don't understand.
Its just a matter pf preference either sets work, Skarmory just gets more speed off physical attacks which can be nice in certain situations like Mega Char X or Scarf Victini however im not saying Salac berry doesnt work. Its just a matter of preference. Probably should have clarified that

It's always cool to see different takes on HO Steel, and your team is pretty solid! I have a lot of minor optimizations along with two big changes that I think will really help make your team even better.

First of all, I'm personally a fan of the set you've got for Skarmory. I really dislike the Weak Armor because I think it's unreliable. Opposing leads like Fire Blast Garchomp, Galvantula, and Nidoking all do special damage, meaning Weak Armor will be useless. Anyway, about your take on it, you should use a Hasty nature along with 0 HP, Defense, and Special Defense IVs and 0 HP EVs. This is important for knocking Skarmory down as low as possible when it takes damage. Taking as much damage as possible serves two purposes: one, it's easier to activate Salac Berry. Second, it makes it easy for Skarmory to take itself out with Brave Bird, which is how it prevents Rapid Spin. While it may be a little scary to let Skarmory be so defenseless, you're using Assault Vest Celesteela, which should more than cover any defensive duties Skarmory may have had. I do agree with putting Taunt over Tailwind, though. Tailwind doesn't do this particular team many favors, while Taunt can prevent Defog.

The classic HO Steel strategy in ORAS was hazard stack + Defiant Bisharp and spinblocking Doublade. However, I think in the current SM metagame, you will find much more use from a Choice Scarf Excadrill over Bisharp. Choice Scarf Excadrill gives you a reliable revenge killer for Victini while also taking on annoyances like Tapu Koko. Naturally, it does a fantastic job against Fire and Electric, two types that give your current team a lot of trouble. Excadrill also provides you a way to reliably beat Mega Sableye, which looks pretty unbeatable for you right now, in Mold Breaker Toxic. While Bisharp's help against Psychic teams is greatly appreciated, you do have Mega Scizor, and Psychic teams without Gothitelle are very beatable.

I think your Mega Scizor moveset is fine here. Roost will help a lot with beating Ditto Normal, as Superpower does actually open up the Imposter threat. However, that being said, you should use a faster spread. You absolutely want Mega Scizor to at least outspeed Adamant Azumarill in case it safely gets off a Z-Belly Drum, so try a 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe spread.

For Heatran, I think you have the right idea, but a couple small changes will definitely help in the long run. First, 24 Attack EVs are necessary to OHKO Mega Charizard Y. You also always want 252 Speed and Timid to at worst Speed tie with opposing Heatran so that you can win the mirror. Now, while Hidden Power Ice definitely is a cool idea, you do have the Ground killer AV Celesteela set, so I think that's excessive. Instead, I think you should run Taunt over Hidden Power Ice. Taunt helps keep up your anti-Defog support with Bisharp being gone. However, it's even more useful if you go with my next suggestion, which is to run Magma Storm over Fire Blast. Magma Storm + Taunt is incredible for stallbreaking threats that can be a huge pain like Mantine.

Finally, with the addition of Choice Scarf Excadrill, Jirachi using a Choice Scarf set is now redundant. Instead, I think you should try using a Z-Happy Hour set, which would support your balance Water matchup a lot.With Thunderbolt and Psychic, Jirachi can take out the defensive core and the less bulky offensive threats. This is also great for the Poison matchup, as Jirachi can beat all Poison-types when adding Iron Head for taking out Alolan Muk. It's a great sweeper that patches up a couple of the harder matchups for Steel, so I would strongly recommend it.

I hope these changes help, and good luck with your team!

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Skarmory @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

Jirachi @ Normalium Z
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Happy Hour
- Iron Head
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)