[PS Staff Request] Backgrounds for Pokemon Showdown!

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Pokemon Showdown has been known to use the work of artists in the past as backgrounds on the main server. This is an open invitation to show us some of your work! We of the staff are requesting backgrounds designed by the artists of Smogon, whether Hand Drawn or designed using photoshop.

Questions you may have-

Q -What quality should I aim for?
A -we aren't looking for the greatest background this side of the Mississppi, but if it looks good we will use it.

Q -what copyrights should you worry about?
A -As long as you draw it yourself it's okay!

Q -what size should it be?
A -Any size works, but 1280x800ish is preferable

Q -What should I draw?
A -Anything within the bounds of appropriateness is suitable. Bonus points for a Pokemon theme, or work displaying some nice stylistic flair. Aim for whichever end of the artistic spectrum you like; we'd love to see a nice mix of relaxing art, designs full of badassery, and everything in between!

Before you do this the PS staff would like to thank you for your work. Once you're complete, you can post it in this thread or PM personally, we look forward to seeing your work :] Happy Drawing !

22:03Zarel:"badass is good, creepy is bad"

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Remember, when you're making a background, most of the free space is between the chat bar and the menu, like so:

Yes, some users may not use the chat, but it's not a bad assumption to say that most users will have the chat open, so you should be putting the focal point of your art there, like Yilx's waterfall in this case.

Mizuhime

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ooh definitely participating for this. :)

Just a question, are existing artworks still qualified? I kinda have something here but it was already used for this article in The Smog.

It's fine if it doesn't qualify; I actually am working on another one but I feel this artwork deserves a mention just in case. :p
of course old work qualifies, i've spoken to you on the matter of this one though, sorry again

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Still exploring Photoshop, so this image isn't as complex as the two examples. Or Magistrum's. Image could be mirrored if the focus on the Wingull is better than the one on the lighting. Is it even high enough quality as a background? Either way, constructive criticism is appreciated.

Edit: As requested, flipped. :)

Last edited:

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Well, in stark contrast with everything in this thread so far, here's my (terrible) contribution:

Its pretty underwhelming next to Quanyails's and Magistrum's, as well as the examples— I'd understand if it weren't up to the standards for PS!. Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Blue Frog, i like what you're doing with this, but i'd love you to work on deoxys and elgyem.

Other than that it's pretty awesome.

*edit* BWAHAHAHA im so sorry! I should read names more closely.

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well all of these arts that were posted thus far are downright amazing. I guess I might as well share my attempt. I gave it my best shot.

I'm thoroughly open to suggestions/criticism, since there's always room for improvement.

Mizuhime

Well all of these arts that were posted thus far are downright amazing. I guess I might as well share my attempt. I gave it my best shot.

I'm thoroughly open to suggestions/criticism, since there's always room for improvement.
It looks good but we request that it be on par with the current 2 backgrounds already implemented on Pokemon Showdown. We thank you for the submission. Sorry for the inconvenience

I'd also like to add one more thing: aim for a light-colored artwork as the chat will be scrolling at the front of it and if its too dark you wont be able to read it.

Hugendugen

Noam Chompsky.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay I have a specific request: I'm looking for the "the cutest god damn Shaymin background you'll ever see," to be used for an official tournaments server. If anyone is game, please give it a go!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)