SM OU Psychic Hawlucha Offence

One glorious summer day, sat in my mother's basement (or maybe a starbucks), I thought it would be fun to jump onto the Seed Hawlucha bandwagon. But why would I ever want to play the same old rain-koko-lucha offence that plagues the ladder when I can play bad things?

And so, Psychic Hawlucha was born.

I say this, but I've had more success with this team than with any other team in OU. I had been memeing for all of 7th gen, and this team pulled me back from about ~20% winrate to around ~60% very quickly.

There's not all that much of a teambuilding process. The team started with Lucha and Lele, with Celesteela and Venusaur as a defensive core. Celesteela turned to Skarm to avoid having to add a defogger, Garchomp found himself chosen over Landorus thanks to his bluffing potential, and I put on a Terrakion to clean and check Volcarona, that later changed to Nihilego.

The Team

Lucha Libre (Hawlucha) @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge

The sweeper. Everyone knows him, everyone hates him.
Early on in the team I played with Zen Headbutt, but there isn't a single mon in the meta who's hit harder by it than Acrobatics, even on Toxapex in Psychic terrain. So, I went for Stone Edge, which can OHKO Koko after rocks at +2, and happily kill Thundurus.

Dunce Hat (Tapu Lele) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

As I knew this team would end up being decimated by Volcarona, I decided not to go for a scarf on Lele, but rather to go for Taunt. Originally this was Psychic/Psyshock/Twinkle Tackle, but the dugtrio ban brought Heatran back hard, rendering that set weak. Even before then, Celesteela was too much of a pain - Fight Z is much better for all of these would-be checks. With Taunt, we can shut off Skarmory, Toxapex and Celesteela, denying them their recovery and hazard cleaning while we sac Lele to bring in Hawlucha and win.

Loli (Nihilego) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam

I knew when setting up the team that it would have two weaknesses - Volcarona and fizzling out. Hawlucha won't be able to mow down every team, so the team needed a dedicated cleaner to deal with everything afterwards. I initially decided to take a page from LC and go fightspam with Terrakion, but ran into two problems - Terrakion doesn't check a well-played or Charti Berry Volc, and it generally sucks ass otherwise. Nihilego, on the other hand, has enough bulk to beat a well-played Volc, and surprises a lot of players with just how specially tanky it is. This guy, at +1, beats Shift Gear Calm Mind Mag. 35% turn 1, 35% turn 2, then eat his attacks until he dies. The set was initially built to be a counter-lead to Landorus, able to OHKO it with HP Ice. Unfortunately, this only works on offensive sets, so its not the best lead option. However, it's still a move worth having, else this set struggles against Garchomp, Lando and Zygarde. Dazzling Gleam is basically filler. I dont remember ever clicking it, as this set can't really afford to be making safe plays.

Bomb Clip (Garchomp) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

I needed a rocker. I needed a lure for Scizor. I needed a Physical tank. I didn't want to give up and add Lando. So here we are. This guy is a pain in the ass for a lot of mons, and not too crucial for the late-game strategy, so makes excellent early sac fodder into mons like Medicham and Lopunny. Rocks are nice, but not really essential - one layer or spikes or rocks is normally enough for this team to operate with. Fire Blast lets him lure in Ferrothorns and Scizors and take kills, and Dragon Tail helps against opposing Luchas.

Feed Me, Seymour (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The glue of the team. A near-catch-all switchin, with surprising power off the back of Sludge Bomb, surprising recovery off of giga drain, and the ability to beat mons like Magearna and Celesteela thanks to Leech Seed. I've had a lot of people tell me no-synthesis Venusaur is trash, but this isn't a stall team. Eventually, Venusaur will die, but it will have chipped the team enough that Nihilego is clear to go most of the time.

Birb (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Roost
- Spikes

The ultimate defensive partner to Leech Seed Venusaur. Not needing seeds meant I could run this guy instead of Celesteela, allowing me access to Defog, and the ability to Sturdy-Phaze key setup mons. Spikes make him a decent lead, and generally are less likely to pull a panic defog from the opponent. Whirlwind was added in place of Toxic because I didn't much like being complete setup fodder against Fini teams.

Strategy

The team isn't too complicated to play. In the early game, use Lele, Skarmory and Garchomp to win the hazard game, and use Venusaur to get hits. Only go to Nihilego and Lucha as predictions. Once you have a hazard up and relevant chip on your opponent's walls, make your sac and push with one of your wincons, then finish up with the other if it's not enough. The team can win lategame stall-offs thanks to Taunt on Lele and Venusaur, but it's not easy.

The Stall matchup is hard, but winnable. Venusaur is your pivotal mon, leave it alive at all costs (unless there's a Heatran. Fuck Heatran). Use your Fight-Z well, use your taunts sensibly as the PP will really matter. If you can sac Lucha or Nihilego to punch a hole, do so. Remember that the Psychic Seed means nothing in this matchup, don't hesitate to just setup Lucha in the face of anything that can't hurt it. Don't reveal Psyshock if your opponent has a Chansey. Celesteela, Ferrothorn, AV Magearna and Scizor all lose to Garchomp and Venusaur, while Toxapex can be handled by Lele.

Threats

Aurora Veil can stop your offence in its tracks, and this things STABs are a real pain to handle. I toyed with Brick Break as Lucha's fourth move for a bit because of how hard this was

If he's got both Zen Headbutt and Ice Punch, we have no wall for this. We can chip it down, sure, but it threatens both of our sweepers with Fake Out pivots. Our strongest play against this is to be super-aggressive with Psychic Terrain and Nihilego.

Although this girl isn't a huge danger as a late-game sweeper as it is for many teams, it's a nightmare lead. It needs to die ASAP if we're ever going to win the hazard game. If this becomes prominent I'll start running Iron Head on Skarm.

You might think I've added enough checks to this mon.
You can't have enough checks to this mon. Most of my lost games are this surviving the helmet chip and going in to sweep. Don't get complacent just because we have checks, this bastard wins games.

I'm so happy this mon doesn't see much play. This with a scarf is an absolute nightmare. We can beat it with Nihilego in the late game, but unless we can keep rocks up, he'll come in and keep taking kills.

Last edited:
Hey dude, really cool team you have here. I love the concept. So now, here’s the rate.
Tankchomp isn’t that viable in sun and moon, as it is generally outclassed hy lando t. However, Lando t can not break Scizor, which is what you want. However, it neither can break celesteela, a big threat to your team especially air slash variants. Thus, I would change Garchomp to Heatran.
This is a great mon for your team, it checks steels which are a problem for lele, it an also use stealth rocks. Magma storm helps it chip the enemy team for a Hawlucha sweep. The set is the first on the analysis, just replace substitute with stealth rock. Heatran is also a amazing partner for venusaur, and it helps against victini.
Next, Nihilego as a scarfer is rather underwhelming unless if running toxic spikes. Since t spikes are not that helpful for this team, I would change it to Keldeo.
This gives you a rain check, a better revenge killer, and a switchin to heatran. Keldeo can also ease pressure from venusuar by providing a secondary greninja check.
Finally, synthesis is an esstential on venusuar, as venusuar without synthesis dies way to fast by attacks and entry hazards. I would also change it to a more physically defensive spread, as your team is currently lacking a zygarde answer.
That’s what I have for now. Nice team.

Breezy

formerly Quaze
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Hi TheTapDancer, cool team you have built!
I’m personally a big fan of this kind of balanced teams because they normally have a solid defensive backbone and still have scary breakers like Hawlucha and Tapu Lele. I agree the the choice of using stallbreaker Lele here because the team does struggle with stall but I actually think that it isn’t enough for beating that kind of playstall. As you said Victini, Zygarde, Mega Medicham and Mega Diancie are really threatning but don’t worry, that’s why I am here.

My suggestions

• I. replace Garchomp with Mew
  • II. replace Skarmory with Celesteela
  • III. run Mega Venusaur’s standard set
  • IV. change Hawlucha’s evs spread
  • V. run Nihilego’s standard set
I.

Pros: Replacing Garchomp with setter Mew would help against Zygarde, Mega- Medicham and Punny.
I also believe that you have enough checks to Mega Scizor, so there’s no specific reason to keep Chomp.
I undoubtedly would always recommend to have a Zygarde’s check because of its high usage.
Cons: Unfortunately you will lose the solid switch-in to Heatran.
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

II.

Pros: Skarmory results to be way too passive in that team while Celesteela is an incredible annoyer. As I mentioned before the team struggles a bit with stall, especially against Chansey.
Celesteela wins against it and beats in general 4/6th of a stall team 1v1.
Cons: Unfortunately you will lose the Phaser and Defogger.
Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

III.

Pros: Venusaur’s set has to be rivisited completely. Venu is know for its great typing and bulk so you can easily turn it to your Mega- Scizor and Diancie’s check if you change the evs spread to a bulkier one and give Synthesis over Leech Seed. I’ll leave you below the complete set.
Cons: /
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

IV.

Pros: Being the fastest pokemon in the metagame it doesn’t need that much evs investement in speed. You can make it bulkier and still have a high speed. You can try Substitute over Stone Edge on it order to beat Toxapex. You beat it without investements in HP as well because with Spe. Def. boost you take less than 20% from scald. It’s all your decision here.
Cons: You can eventually get outspeeded by opposing Hawlucha’s. If you replace Stone Edge Zapdos will counter you.
Hawlucha @ Psychic Seed
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute / Stone Edge

V.

Pros: With 80 evs in Spe. Def. you will check Volcarona better than you did. Those evs allows you to take an HP Ground by +1 Volcarona. So in case you face a random Charty Berry Volcarona you won’t have to worry about it. The bulk also helps eating Charizard Mega y’s hits. Other change you should make is replacing Sludge Wave for Sludge Bomb and Dazzling Gleam for Toxic Spikes. That little difference of Base Power makes often the difference between OHKOing or 2HKOing and Toxic Spikes is way more useful in general.
Cons: You will lose an eventual desperate chance to Poison the target.
Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 180 SpA / 80 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic Spikes

Fazit
At the end you won’t have a defogger and Heatran will become a threat but Tapu Lele helps a lot for that. I really agree your choice for the stallbreaker set with fightium on Tapu Lele because it kind of fills the gaps you had in the team. Fightnium for instance almost OHKOs Heatran and Taunt prevents Excadrill’s rocks.
If you win or lose it all comes to you. It’s like having a bicycle: even if you have the best bicyle in the world you won’t go far if you can’t ride it!

I hope I’ve helped you with my suggestions, good job with the team :]

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Hawlucha @ Psychic Seed
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute / Stone Edge

Dunce Hat (Tapu Lele) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 180 SpA / 80 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Toxic Spikes

Reading these suggestions, a few are interesting. I'll definitely try out Heatran, he seems like an almost strict upgrade. I did build the team in the duggy days so Garchomp was definitely safer at the time, I only worry that I won't be able to lure things with Tran.

As for your team HQuaze, you've completely sacrificed the ability to win the hazard game. Mew isn't as pressuring as Garchomp, and although your celesteela is certainly less passive than my Skarmory, having no defogger isn't an option with Hawlucha. Remember that the Psychic terrain doesn't leave him immune to priority. Having no defogger means I lose 1v1 against Scizor-Mega. Venusaur already checks both Mega-Diancie and Scizor in its current form, able to both avoid 2hkos from either and OHKO with Giga Drain or HP Fire.
Although the extra HP on Lucha is something I might try, it doesn't feel pressing. He also already beats Toxapex 1v1 unless they Scald burn.
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 172-204 (56.5 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I may need to SD twice or rely on a crit, but its not a hard wall like Zapdos would be sans Stone Edge.

Although I agree that placing a Hazard on Nihilego's fourth move could work, I think on your team Stealth Rock would do better, and let Mew be a defogger. Either way, any reduction in Nihilego's hitting power won't work. It's not the hardest hitter at neutral, and doing this allows mons like Magearna to revenge kill me at +1.
Honestly, I've been thinking of putting Thunderbolt in there as a harder magearna check that doesn't let Greninja in.
(I actually didn't know he learned Sludge Wave. Thanks for that.)
I really do think you're underestimating Nihilego's uninvested special bulk.
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nihilego: 120-142 (33.4 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Water Shuriken (20 BP) (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nihilego: 270-324 (75.2 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nihilego: 155-183 (43.1 - 50.9%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nihilego in Electric Terrain: 211-249 (58.7 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Nihilego: 312-368 (86.9 - 102.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

If I can keep the Hazard game in my favour, almost no special attackers can reliably revenge kill Nihilego, and even those who can like offensive Heatran don't appreciate a +1 Power Gem, and are outsped.
+1 252 SpA Nihilego Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 183-216 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
It is true that a little SpDef investment can get rid of that 18.8%, but fully offensive Heatran isnt all that common, and it only takes 44 points. However, this reduction makes Greninja much more of a problem - at full investment Power Gem at +1 is a guaranteed OHKO after Spikes, but at 180 he gains a chance to survive. It may only be 20%, but that's going to lose me a lot of games in this meta.

Breezy

formerly Quaze
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi TheTapDancer
I started rating teams knowing the fact that not everyone can agree with my suggestions but I always try my best to avoid this which hopefully can be read by the the time and effort I put on describtion, layout, testing teams and finding adequate solutions.
I’ve quoted below some statements I don’t agree or don’t understand and I’ll try to explain the reasons that made me suggesting you those things.

“completely sacrificed the ability to win the hazard game. Mew isn't as pressuring as Garchomp, and although your celesteela is certainly less passive than my Skarmory, having no defogger isn't an option with Hawlucha”
“Although I agree that placing a Hazard on Nihilego's fourth move could work, I think on your team Stealth Rock would do better, and let Mew be a defogger. Either way, any reduction in Nihilego's hitting power won't work. It's not the hardest hitter at neutral, and doing this allows mons like Magearna to revenge kill me at +1.”
“Venusaur already checks both Mega-Diancie and Scizor in its current form, able to both avoid 2hkos from either and OHKO with Giga Drain or HP Fire.”
I don’t really understand how Garchomp works better than Mew. Mew has Wil-O-Wisp which scares almost every physical sweeper while Garchomp gets walled by the majority of the fairy type mons and common leads like Landorus.
I agree with the alternative where Nihilego has stealth rocks and Mew defog but I personally don’t like being locked into stealth rocks and losing so much momentum and I rarely recommend things that I don’t like. It’s also harder for Nihilego to put rocks against stall, thing which is impossible for Garchomp with tue defensive set. Mew instead can burn MSableye and cheap with ice beam and obv set rocks on the switch.
As I said in the describtion you can try to use Hawlucha because scald burn is a common thing, the choice depends from your preference. There are people that prefer to be safe not risking burns and other that prefer to have coverage. In fact I slashed both options.
Also by the describtion I didn’t understand the role and the importance of Nihilego as sweeper in the team, apologies for that.
Offensive Venusaur and defensive damage deal almost the same damage in the current metagame, the only difference is the fact that the defensive one eats more hits. It checks better Ash Ninja and Max attack Diancie.

I hope it’s all clear now and thanks for taking time reading my rate :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)