Psychic Power! Mono Type RMT!

What's going on Smogon? I think it's time for some
MONO TYPE ACTION!

These guys oughta make you relive your Genwun nightmares... Muahahaha.

TEAM BUILDING

What better Pokemon to start with then the ancestor of all Pokemon?

Xatu seemed like a good second option as Magic Bounce seemed very appealing and just to overall support the team.

Next one is Meloetta. She seemed like the best option to counter ghost types like Chandelure and Cofigrigus that would otherwise destroy this team.

Slowbro! A good defensive Pokemon with a fantastic ability. Need I say more?

Seems like were lacking some physically offensive options! Enter Victini, which can absolutely destroy anything.

And finally, Gallade, which can help deal with Dark types bar Honchcrow.

THE TEAM IN DETAIL!

Mew
Synchronize
Life Orb
Timid
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd
Nasty Plot, Psychic, Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball.

Good old Nasty Plot Mew. Once Mew can get off a Nasty Plot, it can be assumed that it's going to be causing a lot of damage. If Mew can set up, the game is pretty much done. Psychic and Aura Sphere get incredible coverage together. I chose Shadow Ball over Fire Blast because I feel like that the coverage against ghost types and opposing Psychic types is really needed on a team like this. Overall, this thing has really been useful, only problem is that there's quite a few things that can outrun it. Beautiful Pokemon, however. Sometimes I think Azelf might be a better option, but I love Mew too darn much to give it up.

Xatu
Magic Bounce
Leftovers
Careful
EVs: 252 HP, 240 Sp. Def, 16 Spd
Thunder Wave, Roost, U-Turn, Night Shade.

This thing is awesome. Bouncing back literally anything that doesn't do direct damage is a blessing to every single Pokemon on this team. Not a whole lot of need to worry about stealth rocks, leech seed, or even statuses. It also helps that Xatu can switch in and Thunder Wave anything that needs Thunder Waving, heal up any damage it takes, U-Turn out, and do pretty consistent damage with Night Shade. This is one amazing bird. I don't really think I'd put anything else in the place of Xatu, bouncing back what it does is just so important. I guess the main gripe with it is that it doesn't have a whole bunch to do damage with. I'd run Toxic, but I don't think Xatu has enough bulk to pull it off. I'd be open to some other options with Xatu, though.

Meloetta
Serene Grace
Leftovers
Timid
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd
Calm Mind, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast.

It's pretty nice that I can have an immunity to a very common Psychic counter ON my psychic team. With such a high special defense, Meloetta is a great check for Chandelure, Cofagrigus, or any other ghost in the tier. Along with her equally amazing Special Attack, abusing Calm Mind becomes a very natural way of using bulk to smash my way through the opposing team. Psychic is an amazing STAB, Shadow Ball destroys the aforementioned ghost types, and Focus Blast is there for coverage against the very dangerous dark types. Sometimes I think that this set might be a little too similar to Mews, but this Pokemon is a lot bulkier so using it partway as a special wall is definitely a possibility. Overall, I love this Pokemon.

Slowbro
Regenerator
Leftovers
Bold
EVs: 248 HP, 248 Sp. Def, 12 Sp. Atk
Scald, Psyshock, Slack Off, Fire Blast.

I've been looking for an excuse to use Slowbro for a while, and what better reason to do so than on a mono-psychic team? Slowbro is important for taking physical hits for a team that mainly focuses on hitting specially and taking damage specially. Slowbro has a lot of staying power, with both Regenerator and Slack Off keeping him alive for obscene amounts of time. Along with Scald, which has a handy burn chance, and Psyshock, which lets it hit on both sides of the spectrum, and you got yourself a pretty good Physical Tank. Since Thunder Wave is already known by Xatu I replaced that slot with Fire Blast to get some extra coverage. I really like this set a lot, though sometimes I think the Choice Specs set might be a better option. Slowbro is definitely my bulky water of choice, especially for this team, so he's definitely here to stay.

Victini
Victory Star
Choice Band
Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 252 Spd.
V-Create, U-Turn, Bolt Strike, Zen Headbutt

This thing is nuts. It destroys everything. Being a physically offensive Psychic type is a role that really needed to be filled in this team and Victini does more than well enough. Stopping a V-Create with something that doesn't resist it is the equivalent of trying to stop a nuclear explosion with a riot shield. U-Turn revenges anything that dare piss me off even in the slightest. Bolt Strike is to cover any bulky water, and Zen Headbutt is another STAB need I use it. Victini is also very handy with his ability Victory Star, which reduces the chance of his Bolt Strike and V-Create missing, along with things like Slowbro's Fire Blast and Meloetta's Focus Blast. Missing pisses me off so I'm glad I have something that can help prevent that from happening.

Gallade
Justified
Leftovers
Careful
EVs: 240 HP, 212 Sp. Def, 56 Spd
Bulk Up, Drain Punch, Stone Edge, Substitute.

Gallade really helps patch up my dark weakness. Specifically Umbreon, which would otherwise wall this team pretty darn good. I'm pretty confident that I can consider Umbreon a fainted Pokemon as long as Gallade is around. The Bulk Up set I think works perfect for Gallade and I really like using it. Drain Punch provides a lot of healing and can keep Gallade alive indefinitely under the right conditions. Substitute is pretty self explanatory. The only move that might seem different than other variations of this set is Stone Edge over Night Slash or Ice Punch. I put this in there because I needed a weapon against Honchcrow... But I'll talk more about that bird later.

THING THAT NEEDS TO DIE IMMEDIATELY

Ironically, one of my favorite Pokemon of all time has become the ultimate counter for this team. Please, I beg you guys, somebody, somebody help me kill this thing. Please. I need some options here. Help me. HELP MEEEE.

AND WITH THAT, I CONCLUDE!
I hope you guys enjoyed reading something a little different. Let me know what you think! (:

In regards to Honchkrow, the only two Psychic types I can think of that can directly deal with it would be Bronzong and Cresselia.

Bronzong resists Brave Bird and is neutral to both Sucker Punch and Superpower. The only way Honchkrow can hit Bronzong super effectively would be through Heat Wave, but only 10.9% of Honchkrows even use that move so I wouldn't worry.

Cresselia can deal with Honchkrow mainly because its the bulkiest thing ever. Look at these calcs:
252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 234-276 (52.7 - 62.16%) -- 99.61% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 173-204 (38.96 - 45.94%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Since Cress can just recover any damage taken from a Sucker Punch, its almost impossible for Honchkrow to kill it without critting. Cresselia can hit Honchkrow with both T-Wave and Ice Beam to get it out of the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)