Monotype Psychic Powers - Hyper Offensive Psychic Team(Peaked 1650)

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Introduction:
Hey, this is Alpha-Harpreet again with a third RMT!This team was made by me for Core ladder challenge which was around Deoxys-Speed and Mega Gardevoir. I was able to peak the challenge with this team reaching elo rating of 1650 with a decent 81.8 gxe under the alt CCps10 Harp. The composition of the team is HO and laddering with this team has been very fun and I would like to know some feedback on this team to improve it further here is my team Psychic Powers!

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Blue Flare
- U-turn

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Counter

Latios @ Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Since this team was made around the core of Deoxys-Speed and Mega Gardevoir, these two pokemon are given:

Deoxys speed with its fantastic speed and access to hazards such as stealth rock and spikes is used as suicide lead for the team.

To compliment the hazard stack lead in deoxys-S, Mega Gardevoir works as a very good partner since it is a powerful wall breaker and so hazards helps it to wall break better and pressure opposing teams more.

After Mega Gardevoir, I added Scarf Victini into the team to aid in steel match up where Mega Gardevoir struggles and also act as a speed control for the team with a scarf set.

Next I added Sash-Counter Alakazam in the team since it not only acts as a blanket check to threats such as Muk-Alola, Mega Gyarados,Mega Sharpedo,Excadrill,Garchomp etc but it also has good speed which allows it to clean late game if necessary.

To provide defog support so the team is not plagued by hazards, I added offensive defog latios into the team which also provides the team with a nice ground immunity which is really appreciated. The latios set is a lure which allows it to take out pokemon such as celesteela,mantine,tapu fini which otherwise can prove a trouble.

Lastly, I needed a physical wall breaker for the team and I did not wanted to use DD mew, I then added Choice Banded Metagross into the team for fun and to try something different. Metagross with a choice band is very hard to switch into outside of pokemon such as Skarmory,Celesteela etc which are taken out by other members of the team.

The Team

Jolly Nature
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Taunt
Knock Off​
Deoxys-Speed with its high speed is the arguably the best lead that mono psychic teams have access to. Stealth rock and Spikes allows it to put a great deal of pressure on opposing teams such as Fire,Bug and Flying. Hazard stack support is greatly appreciated by offensive teammates as it allows to score easy OHKO or 2HKOs. Taunt allows it to stop opposing leads from setting up and stopping defensive pokemon in their track. Knock off is a great utility option helping remove item of item reliant pokemon such as chansey or porygon2. Since deoxys speed is very fast it outspeed 100 base scarfs and so it can remove their item with knock off which makes it easier for the teammate to deal with such pokemon.

Timid Nature
Hyper Voice
Psyshock
Focus Blast
Substitute​
Mega Gardevoir, the special wall breaker of the team. Its part fairy typing helps a lot in dark and dragon match ups allowing it to score kills almost every time it comes in. Pixilate boosted Hyper voice is the go-to move greatly denting neutral targets and is the move of choice vs pokemon such as Mega Sableye. Psyshock is the other STAB move allowing it to hit specially defensive walls such as Chansey which can stomach other moves on the set. Focus blast rounds off the coverage allowing Mega Gardevoir to hit pokemon such as ferrothorn,skarmory,Heatran for good damage.Substitue protects Mega Gardevoir from status moves and it makes revenge killing harder for the opponent.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
V-create
Bolt Strike
Blue Flare
U-turn​
Victini is the speed control of the team with a scarf set, it also helps a lot in bug and steel match ups thanks to vcreate allowing to it put huge pressure in the said match ups. Vcreate is the go-to move to revenge kill since it hits very hard thanks to its high base power and STAB move. Bolt strike is used for Water types that resists its fire STAB move such as Mantine. Blue flare allows victini to clean steel or bug teams easily unlike using vcreate which makes victini susceptible to revenge killing. U-turn is used for momentum and to bring in a teammate safely. A naive nature is used so that it can takes priority moves better.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Counter​
Sash-Counter Alakazam is a really good set that acts as a blanket check to many threatening physical attackers for mono psychic teams. It is also easily splashable on most psychic teams. Here, with sash set It helped to check pokemon such as Mega sharpedo,excadrill,Mega Gyarados etc all of which are particularly threatening to a mono psychic team. Psychic hits quite hard and can be used to clean weakened team late game since alakazam has a good speed tier at base 120. shadow ball is used for ghost types such as mimikyu and opposing psychic types such as slowbro and Mega Gardevoir. Focus Blast is used for steel types like heatran and ferrothorn while also rounding off its coverage. Magic Guard in tandem with focus sash makes revenge killing harder for the opponent since it will always be a 2hko thanks to sash.

Latios @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
Draco Meteor
Psyshock
Thunderbolt
Defog​
Latios is the offensive defog support of the team. Its ability levitate provides the team with a nice ground immunity which is well appreciated on a team. Draco meteor hits hard and does sizable to anything that does not resist it or is not immune to it. Psyshock is used to hit specially defensive walls and such as chansey harder. Thunderbolt in tandem with Electrium Z acts as a lure to pokemon such as Tapu Fini,Celesteela,Mantine all of which are a common switch in to latios. The result is that a special wall gets taken out which helps teammates such as Mega Gardevoir and Alakazam to freely spam their moves. Defog is used to clear off hazards so that the team is not plagued by it.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
Meteor Mash
Hammer Arm
Zen Headbutt
Bullet Punch​
As mentioned by me earlier in this post,I added Metagross for pure lulz and to try something different even though I know it is no where in Viability Rankings. It is a decent wall breaker nonetheless denting slow teams and taking out special walls for Mega gardevoir.Meteor Mash with a choice band and adamant nature hits very hard able to score OHKO on neutral targets. Hammer arm is used for steel types such as Air balloon heatran and ferrothorn.Zen Headbutt is its psychic STAB move that allows to hit pokemon that resist its steel STAB move such as Toxapex,Mantine and Zapdos harder. Bullet punch provides the team with a priority move that can revenge kill weakened and faster threats for the team. Metagross is naturally bulky so it stomachs few hits before going down.
: Ghost types like mimikyu and Gengar pose a threat to the team as mimikyu easily gets a swords dance up and is difficult to revenge kill due to its ability, it threatens the team with shadow sneak. Gengar on the other hand has high speed which allows it and dent/kill teammates with STAB shadow ball.
: Dark types like hydreigon pose a threat as well as it is very difficult to check scarf variants as it functions as hit and run attacker.
: Bug types like volcarona are a threat as well since the team has no defensive backbone considering its an HO build, it is difficult to stop once it gets Quiver dance up.
The team also has limited answer to set up sweepers in victini to revenge kill or alakazam to act as a blanket check.

-Shoutout to ClassyZ for making the banner for me,thanks weeb :]
-Shoutout to the TheImcaness and The Alpha league in general for being there always and supporting its members
-Shoutout to FIR Community.

Conclusion:
I hope you all enjoyed reading about my team. I seek constructive criticism on the team to improve it further. Offense is generally not my playstyle however it is fun using HO builds. Thank you for reading and feel free to use the team if you want to!
The Team after suggestions and changes:

EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt

Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Victini @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Counter

Latios @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Last edited:
Hey, cool team / RMT. I really like the Latios set, deviating from the standard HO Psychic while being able to effectively lure Celesteela, which I find to be a great annoyance to this archetype. Metagross... not really.

Starting with the Deoxys-S set, I personally prefer Reflect and Light Screen over Spikes and Knock Off. Even without Double Dance Mew to benefit from them, Pokemon like Victini and Mega Gardevoir hate getting worn down early and Screens usually ease taking hits for the two. Losing out on Spikes does hurt but the pros of this set outweigh the cons of losing out on the previous one. I don't think this needs more explanation, I guess its up to you which set you prefer. (This also means switching the Attack EVs for HP)

Next, Metagross just seems like a hindrance to me. I can understand trying to deviate from the standard build but a Pokemon as slow as Metagross would only cause a loss of momentum whenever it comes in. Losing out on this does mean that you lose out on your physical wallbreaker, thus I suggest running Choice Band over Choice Scarf on Victini and opting for a different Choice Scarf user as your last Pokemon. Meloetta seems like the most optimal pick to me, helping with Ghost-types like Gengar that you mentioned you struggle with. Jirachi could alternatively serve the role of a Choice Scarf user as well but Meloetta's ability to revenge kill Ghost-types seems much more tempting to me.

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt

Victini @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, cool team / RMT. I really like the Latios set, deviating from the standard HO Psychic while being able to effectively lure Celesteela, which I find to be a great annoyance to this archetype. Metagross... not really.

Starting with the Deoxys-S set, I personally prefer Reflect and Light Screen over Spikes and Knock Off. Even without Double Dance Mew to benefit from them, Pokemon like Victini and Mega Gardevoir hate getting worn down early and Screens usually ease taking hits for the two. Losing out on Spikes does hurt but the pros of this set outweigh the cons of losing out on the previous one. I don't think this needs more explanation, I guess its up to you which set you prefer. (This also means switching the Attack EVs for HP)

Next, Metagross just seems like a hindrance to me. I can understand trying to deviate from the standard build but a Pokemon as slow as Metagross would only cause a loss of momentum whenever it comes in. Losing out on this does mean that you lose out on your physical wallbreaker, thus I suggest running Choice Band over Choice Scarf on Victini and opting for a different Choice Scarf user as your last Pokemon. Meloetta seems like the most optimal pick to me, helping with Ghost-types like Gengar that you mentioned you struggle with. Jirachi could alternatively serve the role of a Choice Scarf user as well but Meloetta's ability to revenge kill Ghost-types seems much more tempting to me.

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt

Victini @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
Thank you terros for your rate on the team. Yes I can change Metagross as I mentioned in my post I was using it for pure lulz and nothing else. I like your suggestion to go for banded victini which is a very powerful wall breaker and to go scarf meloetta to provide the team with a nice ghost immunity and the ability to take out ghost types. Dual screen deoxys is nice idea as well but since I did not wanted to use DD mew I went for Hazard stack set.I will certainly try these suggestions into the team.Thank you :]

Hey nice team, i love the archetype of offensive Psychic because because it's efficient and funny, you couldn't ask for more. This is not really a rate but a suggestion to make the item sprites look better, since some of them look too big. I'll leave you here the sprites so you can take the link of them:

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, congrats on your Core Challenge Win. I really like the idea of Mega Gardevoir HO even though I think Mega Gallade is a better fit on HO Psychic the team is solid and the above rate addresses most of the issues with the team, but there couple of modifications that can be made to optimize the team for the SM Monotype metagame.
I'd like to preface my rate the with an glaring issue I noticed is this team lacks a proper win condition that is needed on Hyper Offensive builds, which makes the team extremely inconsistent (this is because no Mega Gallade). There's not many ways to address this problem without the option of replacing Mega Gardevoir with Mega Gallade which changes the whole purpose of the team.
Rate
Substitute Mega Gardevoir is an ORAS set that was often used to play mindgames with Bisharp, but in SM Bisharp is almost never seen with emergence of Alolan Muk on Dark and Magearna / Celesteela on Steel Bisharp doesn't really fit on those teams anymore so running Substitute Mega Gardevoir only makes it extremely hard to constantly apply offensive pressure. Will-O-Wisp > Substitute with Will-O-Wisp Mega Gardevoir can cripple common switch-ins such as Alolan Muk and Mega Scizor etc. Since Mega Gardevoir forces lots of switches and most of its reliable switch-ins are physical attackers and being able to cripple them (the team is weak to Alolan Muk and Mega Scizor being able to cripple those makes Poison, Dark, Bug, and Steel matchups a lot easier). Proposed Change(s): Will-O-Wisp > Substitute
Psyshock may seem handy when thinking about Special Walls such as Chansey and Zapdos, but those Special Walls still wall the current Latios set with Psyshock. Psyshock also makes it so Latios cannot always OHKO Keldeo and Terrakion at full HP, which can be extremely frustrating for an Hyper Offensive team. Psychic > Psyshock this change allows Latios to almost always OHKO Keledeo and Terrakion, while also allowing Latios to preserve Gigavolt Havoc in Water matchup for Suicune and Empoleon. Proposed Change(s): Psychic > Psyshock
-
Sub Toxic and SpDef can PP stall Psyshock with Pressure
Psyshock - 252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 151-178 (39.3 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Psychic - 252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 180 SpD Zapdos: 133-157 (34.6 - 40.8%) -- 56.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
- Psyshock doesn't do enough to Chansey to justify using it
Psyshock - 252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 174-205 (24.7 - 29.1%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO

Psyshock - 252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 288-338 (89.1 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
Psychic - 252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 320-380 (99 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Psyshock - 252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 288-338 (89.1 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
Psychic - 252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 320-380 (99 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
Good Luck with the team and congratulations on your ladder peak!
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Latios (M) @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Defog

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
Hello, congrats on your Core Challenge Win. I really like the idea of Mega Gardevoir HO even though I think Mega Gallade is a better fit on HO Psychic the team is solid and the above rate addresses most of the issues with the team, but there couple of modifications that can be made to optimize the team for the SM Monotype metagame.
I'd like to preface my rate the with an glaring issue I noticed is this team lacks a proper win condition that is needed on Hyper Offensive builds, which makes the team extremely inconsistent (this is because no Mega Gallade). There's not many ways to address this problem without the option of replacing Mega Gardevoir with Mega Gallade which changes the whole purpose of the team.
Rate
Substitute Mega Gardevoir is an ORAS set that was often used to play mindgames with Bisharp, but in SM Bisharp is almost never seen with emergence of Alolan Muk on Dark and Magearna / Celesteela on Steel Bisharp doesn't really fit on those teams anymore so running Substitute Mega Gardevoir only makes it extremely hard to constantly apply offensive pressure. Will-O-Wisp > Substitute with Will-O-Wisp Mega Gardevoir can cripple common switch-ins such as Alolan Muk and Mega Scizor etc. Since Mega Gardevoir forces lots of switches and most of its reliable switch-ins are physical attackers and being able to cripple them (the team is weak to Alolan Muk and Mega Scizor being able to cripple those makes Poison, Dark, Bug, and Steel matchups a lot easier). Proposed Change(s): Will-O-Wisp > Substitute
Psyshock may seem handy when thinking about Special Walls such as Chansey and Zapdos, but those Special Walls still wall the current Latios set with Psyshock. Psyshock also makes it so Latios cannot always OHKO Keldeo and Terrakion at full HP, which can be extremely frustrating for an Hyper Offensive team. Psychic > Psyshock this change allows Latios to almost always OHKO Keledeo and Terrakion, while also allowing Latios to preserve Gigavolt Havoc in Water matchup for Suicune and Empoleon. Proposed Change(s): Psychic > Psyshock
-
Sub Toxic and SpDef can PP stall Psyshock with Pressure
Psyshock - 252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 151-178 (39.3 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Psychic - 252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 180 SpD Zapdos: 133-157 (34.6 - 40.8%) -- 56.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
- Psyshock doesn't do enough to Chansey to justify using it
Psyshock - 252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 174-205 (24.7 - 29.1%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO

Psyshock - 252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 288-338 (89.1 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
Psychic - 252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 320-380 (99 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Psyshock - 252 SpA Latios Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 288-338 (89.1 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
Psychic - 252 SpA Latios Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 320-380 (99 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
Good Luck with the team and congratulations on your ladder peak!
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Latios (M) @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
Thank you for your rate. I see your point on how will-o-wisp is more valuable to mega gardevoir than substitute this gen as it allows it to check threats which you mentioned in your post namely Muk-alola and Mega scizor. Also you are right on your suggestion on replacing psyshock with psychic, it is something I experienced that with psyshock and no damage boosting item it does meager to special walls like chansey so psychic is overall better. Thank you again vid :] going to make these changes in my team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)