Other PU Balance Team (9-1 Record)

Introduction

Hey guys, PU just came out for alpha so I decided to give it a go. I've managed to reach top 100 with this team, but know there's improvements that can be made. The main idea for this team is to get chip damage off with your physical attackers in Floatzel and Drifblim to allow for Scyther to sweep later. Togetic/Stunfisk/Regice are your defensive core and serve provide utility in Toxics and defog, as well as chip damage.

Teambuilding Process

Began with a Scyther to build around as a fast sweeper. With its 105 base speed, it outspeeds a majority of the tier and can set up an SD fairly easily with its typing.

With Scyther bring 4x weak to rocks, I chose Togetic as my Defogger and cleric.

I've used Stunfisk a bunch in previous generations and absolutely love him. Stunfisk provides much needed resists to Electric and Rock types, and also serves as the team's rock setter.

Brought in Regice for some additional bulk on the special side of things, as well as an Ice resist.

Floatzel was just sort of thrown on the team as an additional threat, and due to it having access to priority with Water Jet.

Drifblim was chosen to have an additional Flying type threat to help chip down Pokemon so that Scyther can sweep later, as well as having some utility in Will-o-wisp.

The Team

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
Scyther serves as the win condition for this team. Due to its typing and bulk from Eviolite, it can set up on a large variety of Pokemon. In my experience, it outspeeds the majority of the tier, as there aren't many PU Pokemon higher than base 105 and aren't many scarves running around either. Despite having Roost, try to avoid bringing Scyther in on unresisted hits, as, more often than not, setting up an SD will be how you close out the game. If unable to set up, U-turning for chip damage into an appropriate switch-in is the next best thing.

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heal Bell
Togetic is essentially just a Defog for this team. It's typing allows it to sponge Fighting type moves. Dazzling Gleam hits neutrally on most of the tier and super effectively on said Fighting types. Investment in Special Defense allows it to be a secondary special wall for when Regice gets low or for Fire types like Magmortar and Pyroar.

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic
Stunfisk is an absolute stud, being capable tanking nearly any physical move in the tier. Very few physical attackers possess a super effective STAB move for Stunfisk, and even those that do, such as Alolan Sandslash and Sawsbuck cannot OHKO the beast that is Stunfisk. Providing much resistance/immunity to Electric and Rock type moves, Stunfisk serves as a useful pivot from Pokemon that wall Scyther and Drifblim, such as Skuntank and Probopass. Getting up rocks isn't an necessity for this team, but chip damage is still damage.

Regice @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Protect
Boasting a massive 200 Special Defense, few special attackers can break Regice. Regice synergizes well with Stunfisk, with Stunfisk being able to tank physical hits more than proficiently, and Regice being an absolute monster on the specially defensive side. In addition, Regice can check Grass types that threaten Stunfisk such as Servine and Ludicolo. Protect is useful for scouting for Toxic and Will-o-wisp, that will slowly wear down Regice due to its lack of serious recovery.

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Low Kick
Floatzel is another fast physical attacker, paired to get damage off for Scyther to sweep. It can take care of Rock types such as Regirock that would otherwise wall Scyther and Drifblim completely. In addition, Aqua Jet allows for easy revenge killing and emergency priority against Shell Smash users, particularly with Macargo and Barbaracle in mind. Low Kick won't be used often but can help in KOing less common Pokemon like Klinklang, and Ice types such as Avalugg, Crabominable, and Glalie.

Drifblim @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 36 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
Many teams are unprepared to fight a Drifblim. Upon reaching Unburden, Drifblim outspeeds all common scarfers in the tier. The main idea here is to spam Acrobatics to weaken Pokemon for Scyther to sweep later. Substitute allows Drifblim to safely eat its berry and unlock Unburden, while also being useful on switches. Will-o-wisp is also useful on the switch for catching Rock and Steel types switching in.

Conclusion

Overall, I've found this team to be pretty effective in chipping away at foes to the point that Scyther can sweep. Stunfisk and Regice continue to be monster walls. I've noticed a large weakness to Rock types, although that is usually dealt with well by Stunfisk. Alternative suggestions for Defoggers/Spinners to Togetic would be appreciated to eliminate a Rock/Ice weakness. Water types often also pose a threat to this team, particularly Shell Smashers like Barbarable (which also has Rock STAB), Huntail, and Carracosta. Any suggestions are appreciated and thank you for reading!

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heal Bell

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Regice @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Low Kick

Drifblim @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def / 36 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp

hitmonchan or other fighting types could help with your rock weakness . possibly over something not really needed on your team. n_n

Hi, cool team!

Few thoughs:
It seems like you're lacking general wallbreakers - you dont have a single setup move on this team besides scyther and may struggle with other stall as stall always runs hazards, which scyther is weak to.

Air slash is a better attack than Dazzling Gleam, not only for coverage reasons but for the fact that with Serene Grace you have a 60% Flinch chance.

It doesnt really matter if stunfisk survives the OHKO if it cant OHKO in return - which it can't.

Regiice seems like an awesome mon for this team and I like the way you're using it.

In my opinion, Drifblim doesnt have the speed to use Substitute to get down to be able to use liechi berry, and by that point a mere priority attack will kill it with ease (golem sucker punch, etc.). I would strongly suggest Sitrus berry, especially since Drifblim is kind of a fat mon.

Honestly before you post a RMT you shold probably get a larger sample size than just 10 battles, especially if they metagame hasnt had a chance to develop very much.

Good luck with your team!
Hey, thanks for the suggestions, man. I think I'm going with an AV Hitmonchan instead of Togetic right now, but the Air Slash idea definitely makes sense.

I probably should've worded things differently for Stunfisk. Alolan Sandslash can't reliably 2HKO after Lefties, while the Sawsbuck point served more as an example of Stunfisk's bulk, rather than saying "Oh yeah leave Stunfisk in against Sawsbuck."

What would you think to run over substitute on Drifblim? I've had a pretty easy time getting subs up then sweeping with the Liechi berry boost. Do you think the increased survivability is worth less sweep potential?

And, yeah I totally agree about the sample size. I thik the meta being so unstable right now is contributing a lot to my wins.

Thanks again!

You absolutely need Togetic on this team - 3 of your mons are weak to rocks, scyther is 4x weak - defog is mandatory.

Substitute is actually fine for Drifblim, its just that liechi berry will leave Drifblim at 25% and Sitrus will leave drifblim at 75%. Drifblim really appreciates the opportunity to take advantage of Unburden earlier and survive longer. If you use Sitrus you will be able to actually use substitute more efficiently.
It's a AV Hitmonchan with Rapid Spin.
Thanks for the Sitrus suggestion!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)