Project PU CCAT (Round 6 Nomination Stage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Ranger Mike no longer wants to run this project, half of our team from before is banned, and the other half was only chosen because it set up on something that was banned, so I'll be starting this over. Also I don't usually steal OPs, but I'm pretty sure the OP of this project has been stolen so many times that no one even remembers who originally wrote it. (also I didn't steal the last part !_!)

HELLO FRENDS! Today we will begin everyone's favorite project: the CommunityCreateATeam. For those of unaware of what this is, let me give you a brief summary:
Stage 1: We are going to start by picking a Pokemon (and set) we are going to be basing the team around. This does NOT mean the Pokemon has to be the late game sweeper, it means the team will be built around that Pokemon, whatever role it plays. This thread is for nominating Pokemon to be added to a poll. After a few days or once we have enough submissions, I will select which Pokemon are going to be in the poll that will be posted after we decide on a list of Pokemon. This means you have to convince me, and others, that your Pokemon is worth being put in the vote.

Stage 2: We select one Pokemon that works well around the selected one.

Stage 3: We select Pokemon that work well around our Pokemon and fit the team style and test it.

Stage 4: We fine-tune the team based on our experiences in test-driving the team on the ladder!

Finally, please make your nominations actually decent, building around good but underrated sets is fun and encouraged, and while it may be funny to build around Wailord or SD Roselia, I want this team to be at the very least actually usable, so please keep this in mind. Also, make sure to explain your nominations and only vote once.

Our team so far:

Regice @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Iron Tail

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Encore

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Vigoroth @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Return
- Bulk Up
- Slack Off
- Taunt
This is a cool mon to build around. This is fairly similar to the scraggy i nom'd in the last, but its much $waggier. This set is incredible; it can set up on walls with taunt, max spdef gives it good special bulk, bulk up increases its ph bulk, then slack off just recovers health. There are several problems with this (which is what the team will do to help it). Major threats; ghost/rock/steel types wall this set, circle throw/dragon tail, knock off, strong special attackers and status are also annoying. Overall this is a criminally underrated set in the PU metagame and will be a good choice as well as fun to build around.

Croconaw @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 54 HP / 252 Atk / 198 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch

I enjoy Playing croconaw in pu due to its ability to set up on walls and to sweep offensive teams and defensive teams with its movepool. it can sub on any weak wall trying to status on it and can set up a ddance and start wrecking the team. With eviolite on, it can take a hit and set up and start sweeping the opposing team. its only counters to the sub ddance set is gourgeist small and checks are serperior and raichu. but that doesn't stop it from being useful in any way. Overall this is a underrated pokemon that can sweep teams unprepared. so i hope you choose this magnemite

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Camerupt @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Rock Polish
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Mixed LO RP Camerupt is pretty cool and I meant to build a team around it myself, but might as well try it for this thread. Sets up on a lot of defensive mons and electric types lacking surf or HP water, not quite sure if stone edge is better over some hidden power but I figured it seemed right to hit Spdef Altaria and Togetic. I honestly don't know where this could go, but RP Camerupt is theoretically quite good and yet never really used.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Meowstic is a cool Pokemon, but it's not a very good starting Pokemon that you build a team around. If you do build around it, you probably want to do so with another Pokemon in mind that can really take advantage of its screens.

Croconaw is a cool choice, but Ice Punch or Return would be a better choice than Crunch. Crunch misses out on hitting Poliwrath, one of the top Pokemon in the metagame, while Ice Punch does as well, at least you're hitting more bulky Grass-types than just Gourgeist.

Also nominating bulky DD Altaria:

Altaria @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
176 HP / 148 Def / 184 Spe | Impish
Dragon Claw | Substitute | Dragon Dance | Roost

This set shits all over stall. There's honestly nothing they can really do against it because even if they catch it with a Toxic or Will-O-Wisp at some point in the battle, you can switch out to recover from the status and just clean with it later. Solid win condition for defensive and balanced teams, easy to build around. Not much else to say. Might as well use it while we have it.

This set isn't that underrated, but it is really uncommon in the usage stats despite being a cool mon so I'll do it anyway.

Simipour @ Salac Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Sub Salac Simipour is a really cool sweeper if you can get rid of Poliwrath. It has really good Speed for this metagame, outspeeding 100s like Ninetales and Dodrio unlike a lot of offensive mons and unlike basically every other water type in the tier. Torrent boosted Hydro Pumps really hurt against offense even if you can't find time to set up, while not too much on stall outside of Poliwrath can beat it at +2. Not too much else to say about it really, it's a really fun mon that could definitely use more usage than it's getting now. it's not as fabulous as simisear though :(

Last edited:
Here's some feedback on the suggested sets so far.
Vigoroth @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Return
- Bulk Up
- Slack Off
- Taunt
Yeah, I think this is a really good choice for this CCAT. It's definitely an underrated yet effective Pokemon, and its recent banning from FU shows how the set works in practise, and in PU where defensive teams are more common than offensive ones, it's a good choice.

Meowstic-M @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Light Screen
- Reflect
A decent choice, but as Hollywood said (smh he posted before I finished this post), building around dual screens Pokemon is kinda limiting considering you basically just tack on a few frail sweepers and some hazards. In general it isn't something that good discussion should come from when building around though.

Croconaw @ Eviolite
EVs: 54 HP / 252 Atk / 198 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
This really isn't a good sweeper. It's weak, frail so it doesn't setup on much, really slow even at +1, is walled by the best Pokemon in the tier (Poliwrath) and no stall team ever has a problem with it because of common answers like Poli and Gourgeist formes, yet offense isn't even threatened because it's so slow at +1 and will never get to +2 against a competent team. Also, your EVs don't add to 508 and 198 EVs isn't even possible @_@.

Camerupt @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Rock Polish
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
A decent choice for exploration, but probably not too good since Camerupt is leaving PU post-ORAS unfortunately.

Altaria @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
176 HP / 148 Def / 184 Spe | Impish
Dragon Claw | Substitute | Dragon Dance | Roost
I would love to this, since it's a great choice, though Altaria is leaving soon too. If we could get this done before ORAS I'm down, but that's an unlikely scenario.

Simipour @ Salac Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
One of my favourites so far since I've used it on more than one effective team and it's a threatening sweeper that somehow is FU by usage. It wouldn't be a bad choice at all and it's under consideration for my vote.

As for my own nomination...

Regice @ Life Orb
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Back in early PU before the ladder, I really wanted to use Vanilluxe, since I've always liked it. Its Autotomize set has Freeze-Dry for Water-types, outsped almost everything at +2, and Modest LO Ice Beam hit pretty damn hard. My teambuilding idea never came to fruition though, until FU came along and Regice was one of the biggest threats of the tier (now banned), and upon looking at the Viability Rankings, Vanilluxe was listed as being outclassed by the best Pokemon in the tier, Regice, because of its greater bulk aiding it in setting up and surviving revenge killing attempts. I weighed up the advantages: much much higher bulk vs slightly higher power, Freeze-Dry, and the Speed for Scarf Tauros and Scarf Rotom-F. I've made a team with Vanilluxe since, but now I think we should take a long at Regice.

Rock Polish Regice is pretty fast after a boost, and it has great coverage and decent power. With Modest and a Life Orb, Regice is actually quite strong, and it seems to be a nice sweeper in PU. 188 Speed is enough to outspeed Zebstrika, Regice can't outspeed most Choice Scarfers so Zebstrika was the benchmark to go to. Tauros is the only one that really matters though, cause:

252 SpA Rotom-F Thunderbolt vs. 68 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 69-82 (21.6 - 25.7%) -- 1.6% chance to 4HKO.

Tauros doesn't even OHKO anyway and the best Rotom-F can do is Trick it while Regice Focus Blasts, KOing the opposing Scarfer making it easier for a teammate. Max SpA and the rest supporting Regice's naturally high bulk. Ice Beam is a pretty obvious STAB move, Thunderbolt is for the Water-types of the tier, and KOes Pelipper and Mantine which Ice Beam can't. Focus Blast hits two important Pokemon that resist BoltBeam (Piloswine and Rotom-F), while also doing more to Tauros and the other Normal-types in the tier.

I think this is a really good choice for a CCAT, I have some ideas for some good teammates but I'd love to hear the community's input on an underrated sweeper's use on PU teams.

Raichu @ Choice Band
Ability: Static
Jolly Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Knock Off
- Wild Charge
- Iron Tail

CHOICE BAND Raichu is a very fun Pokemon to use in the PU metagame. It is one of the few Pokemon in the tier with access to Extremespeed that can be an incredibly useful tool for offensive teams that tend to struggle with fast setup sweepers like SubSalac Simipour and Sneasel that usually sweep with a boost.
It also has a lot of mid game utility with Knock Off as removing Eviolites and Leftovers from switch ins to the regular special sets (Roselia, Piloswine, Gourgeist to an extent) before then being able to spam Wild Charge late game (no Volt Tackle is a real bummer >:[). Iron Tail is an awesome move in the last slot to punish Pokemon like Piloswine and Golem who are all 2HKOd or OHKOd after Knock Off. This set also has a lot of surprise value in keeping physical wall at bay and luring in special ones and weakening it for another sweeper!

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Acrobatics
- Sucker Punch
- Phantom Force / Baton Pass / Will-O-Wisp

I've used this set on some semi-serious teams and it has performed pretty well there. Now I want to bring it to a serious team :)

The idea is that Drifblim gets a lot of weaknesses and it is a little difficult to take it down without exploiting them: how can you not pass up the opportunity to hit it with a SE move? Drifblim can then Endure to survive a hit, activate Weakness Policy giving it +2 Atk and +2 Spe thanks to Unburden (equivalent of Shell Smash boost) and it is much faster to boot, meaning only obscure stuff like Scarf Zebstrika outrun it. It also gets Sucker Punch to outprioritize weakened foes and a really powerful Acrobatics. Acrobatics comes with the benefit of hitting the common physical walls in PU for super-effective damage eg. Tangela and Poliwrath. The last moveslot would depend on the rest of the team (suggestions are welcome; this slot is kinda open): Phantom Force would be another powerful STAB to use before the WP boost and to hit Flying resists without using Sucker Punch. The 2-turn charge doesn't really matter because Normals just get smacked by Acrobatics, and we can punish them with hazards. The other 2 give it a way to support its teammates after / before the WP boost respectively (doesn't pass Unburden sadly). If slashes aren't allowed then just get rid of all and keep Phantom Force, but I really think this slot should have more options available so we can change it depending on the team.

Good teammates for Drifblim would include: Pokemon that take down the priority users that resist Sucker Punch (things that wear down Sneasel, for example), Pokemon that weaken Rock- and Steel-types so that Drifblim can spam Acro, a way to take down Garbodor so that we don't die to Rocky Helmet at 1%, and last but not least entry hazard setters, because Drifblim loves wearing down stuff :)

--
Comments:

Hollywood, might wanna try Fraxure or something over Altaria so that we don't scrap it after ORAS. Fraxure sounds like a nice DD user too and it hits hard; Shelgon and Dragonair are also some bulky DD users that are interesting to explore!

Really like the SubSalac Simipour and RP Regice as well. The latter is something I've been meaning to try too :o

galbia, wtf is that set lol

Okay, it's been a few days and we have a good number of nominations (9), so I'll be moving this into the voting stage. Please make sure to vote for the username of the person whose set you're voting for, not the Pokemon or set, and make sure to bold your vote. Voting will be open for 48 hours or so from the time of this post.

Also while it's not mandatory, providing explanation for your vote is appreciated. (I'll be voting later to cut down on bias)

EV

Banned deucer.
Magnemite
because the first line that describes the set is a great segue into our next teammate.

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Galbia because it's the only one I haven't seen before, and I have a few ideas

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
Magnemite said:
I'll be voting later to cut down on bias
Don't you mean "I'll be voting later to bring up my postcount"? ;o

I would vote Altaria but ORAS ;-; so my vote goes to TRC; I've wanted to build around Regice for a while anyways.

i had a tough time deciding between regice and vigoroth, as they are both really underrated but good things that are great to build around, but I've ultimately decided to vote for Anty (if only because i just built a team around regice n_n)

also, you only have ~18 hours left to vote if you haven't done so yet :o

What checks/counters Regice? Throh comes to mind first, as it takes little from Regice's attacks and can phaze it while doing heavy damage with Circle Throw. Regice is pretty weak to priority in general (particularly Mach Punch from the likes of Monferno) and most physical scarfers can outspeed even after a Rock Polish and take out Regice fairly easily. It's also worth noting that Regice fears physical moves in general, particularly Fighting-, Rock-, and Fire-type moves.

While this might seem like a fairly obvious pair, I think Pelipper can really support Regice well. It provides Defog support which is vital for Regice who's weak to Stealth Rock which, together with Life Orb recoil, would wear Regice down quickly. It deals with Throh and other Fighting-types, as well as most Fire-types such as Flareon that Regice has trouble with. It's very physically bulky, which will help with Regice's lesser defense. Regice can also deal with special attackers, particularly Electrics, that Pelipper fears (TRC's Rotom-F calc in his original post is evidence of this). Regice and Pelipper share a weakness to Rock, but this is easily patched up with teammates and their defensive synergy is great otherwise.

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roost
- Hurricane / Air Slash

Edit: Klang without Wild Charge and Metang, who could give Regice trouble, are dealt with nicely by Pelipper as well.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Garbodor @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
Not only does the mighty garbodor deal with physical attackers, such as throh who beat regice, but it also provides spikes. Spikes will be a great asset in order to weaken down the opponent to the point that regice can sweep. Regice's weaker defense is its physical one, so something physicall defensive seems logic. Toxic spikes are also nice to prevent stuff like lickilicky from wish/tect life orb stalling. Haze prevents other sweepers whilst gunk shot is its strongest STAB, which is strong even without investment.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
Anty, Magnemite told me to tell you that Garbodor is almost certainly leaving in the next tier shift. It's k though it's his fault for starting CCAT right before tier shifts o_o

Pelipper is a great nom imo, but let's go with something a little more offensive...

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Carracosta and Regice have amazing offensive synergy, taking advantage of Pokemon that beat each other to set up. That means: if Carracosta has set up and gets beaten, Regice can set up on the mon that beat Carracosta, and vice versa.

Carracosta sets up on Normal-types (Purugly, Tauros, Lickilicky lacking Dragon Tail) that beats Regice. It also sets up on choice-locked Flareon, Metang, and birds. This means that Carracosta can pick up from where Regice has left off as well as discouraging these Pokemon from spamming such moves just from its presence alone.

On the other hand, Pokemon that revenge kill Carracosta after a Shell Smash, such as Serperior and full health Scarf Rotom-F will get set up on by Regice.

If we pick Carracosta, we can continue by choosing Pokemon that beat Fighting-types, a SR mon, as well as some form of insurance against faster threats since our team would then be quite slow.

Sorry I haven't posted here in a bit, been kinda swamped. I'm really happy we voted in Regice n_n. So, I like some of the suggestions so far, with Carracosta being the one I prefer the most. I feel that RP Regice, a speed-boosting sweeper should have at least one Atk / SpA boosting sweeper to punch holes early-game, and one like Carracosta that is nicely synergetic with it a good choice. Garbodor is good on any offense, but I'm weary of choosing it due to tier shifts, and Pelipper I'm not the biggest fan of since it makes this team into balance and I really feel like an offensive goal is the way to go. I also need to make sure that people understand that we don't need to cover all of the meta in one core of two Pokemon, so even if we retain weaknesses after two Pokemon, they can still be remedied.

Carrying on though from my preference of a power-boosting sweeper...

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Aqua Tail

Everyone knows I love Serperior, and I feel like it's a great Regice partner for a number of reasons I'll explain later. For now though, I was thinking of power-boosting sweepers that were underrated, and this came to mind immediately. It differentiates itself from the more common Calm Mind variant with its higher power boost and ability to run Leftovers, stronger STAB move, and stronger and simply better coverage. This set pairs with Regice well, as it lures in a number of answers to both special Serperior and Regice, such as Licklicky and Metang, gets the SD on the switch, and either forces them out or KOes them / dishes out a ton of damage to them. Regice beats Rotom-F so it can't spam Blizzard at Serperior. Serperior lures in SpD Flareon and smashes it with Aqua Tail, making Regice's job much easier. They really have great offensive synergy and I think they're amazing offensive partners.

Of course, there are still things to cover, but not having the entire core here is a good thing. It makes the building process more fun and doesn't limit the team's offensive capabilities. Obviously we're weak to Fire-types, Scarf Tauros is annoying, physical speed-boosting sweepers like DD Fraxure suck, and the like. This just gives us heaps of opportunity though, there's plenty to think of to aid in these issues, such as physically defensive SR Carracosta, offensive Poliwrath, physically bulky offensive Altaria, DEFENSIVE MARILL, and a number of other choices.

n_n

Voting is now open, please vote for the username of the person whose set you're voting for. Voting will be open for ~72 hours from this post.

Again, while it's not mandatory, providing reasoning for your vote is highly recommended.

MZ

Mega Lopunny Scorpdestroyer I'm not sure about LO, but having two threatening sweepers is nice and they compliment each other pretty well

Anty

let's drop
TRC
We dont want to limit ourself with a defog'er too early (its looking like an offensive team, so peliper might not be the best idea), and i feel trc's reasoning is a lot better (no offense to scorp, but he made non logical statements, like costa setting up on tauros, but tauros 2hkos and outspeeds +2 adamant costa), and its better at luring counters (also nice adding speed to the team)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)