Project PU Core Analysis Workshop (Discussing partners to Rotom-F + Monferno)

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Prinplup don't rise pls. VoltTurn cores are often weak to entry hazards, especially when running Ninjask in one of them, which is extremely weak to Stealth Rock, but also appreciate entry hazards support themselves, so what can be better than a teammate that can both remove hazards from the field and set them up? Prinplup is able to do both of those two things, while it may not fit too well on offense, it can still work decently on balanced teams, where VoltTurn cores like this one, that reminds me the old Raichu + Scyther one, are ran. Prinplup can also spread burns thanks to Scald, therefore further wearing down the opposing team thanks to Toxic too, other than being able to check troublesome Rock- and Ground-types that could trouble the core.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Barbaracle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Razor Shell

Well VoltTurn is a very offensive and potent style, so entry hazard support and preventing hazards for getting on your side of the field is crucial for it to function effectively. So, why not add a stealth rocker that can prevent slower mons from getting hazards up like Barbaracle. Barbaracle can set hazards for VoltTurn teammates, while using Taunt to prevent slower mons from getting their own hazards up while still being an offensive threat with STAB Razor Shell and Stone Edge.

Raichu and Ninjask are weak to priority, and what does Poliwrath eat for breakfast? Priority!

Poliwrath @ Leftovers / Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

Poliwrath handles the troublesome mons to this core, such as Piloswine, Golem, dark spam, etc. Scald can get potential burns on mons like Togetic or Grumpig that possibly lack heal bell, allowing Raichu to break through them easier. Poliwrath also draws in electric attacks that Raichu can absorb, while Ninjask handles the grass types that give Poliwrath trouble. Poliwrath is also a good answer to SS Carracosta, as this core is wiped out by +2 Costa, as well as Pawniard and Mightyena, which can give this core some issues. While Poliwrath may be considered a "splashable" mon in PU, this core really appreciates Poliwrath's ability to deal with many of the threats to this core, while Poliwrath draws in the mons that Raichu and Ninjask can switch into.

Last edited:

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Taunt

GrimoireGod said that entry hazards are important for momentum for a VoltTurn core. So I added Misdreavus as a possible partner, because of its ability to spinblock. It also has the ability to cripple hard hitting attackers that Ninjask and Raichu have trouble with, and Taunt any Pokemon wishing to set up rocks or defog or toxic or whatever status move. Pain Split is also good for stalling.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why are Water-types so good in PU..

Next core:

Stoutland @ Choice Band / Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Facade / Pursuit

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech
- Double-Edge
- Jump Kick / Megahorn
- Swords Dance / Substitute

Brief description: Similar to the old double bull core of Tauros + Bouffalant, Stoutland + Sawsbuck is a nice Normal-spam core that wears down or straight up defeat each others counters and checks for the other so one of the two can break through. Some of the moves and items should be chosen depending on the rest of the team so I made a lot of slashes here.

You have until Saturday to post threats to the core because I'm a little late with this. I also promise the next core won't be offensive.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder / Toxic
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire

Tangela is known for its high physical bulk, which in this case can come in hand against a core like this, formed by two strong physical attackers such as Stoutland and Sawsbuck. Thanks to also another niche in Regenerator, defensive Tangela can switch or pivot in with ease on every possible move by those two, and recover them off with Synthesis, which is needed in this case, or just directly answer back with a Giga Drain or Hidden Power Fire, which deals good amounts of damage to Sawsbuck, which can be sort of threatening if it manages to set up a few attack boosts, but still manageable as Tangela can also run Toxic to put a timer on it.

Last edited:
Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

walls the shit out of stout and annoys buck w/ toxic + LO damage = rip. not much else to say, gets to set up rocks to annoy this core even more but basically anything else i write will be fluff lol. u can run knock off to waeken stoutland i guess??

Last edited:

TONE

is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb
- Foul Play

Well one thing that stands out about this core was it couldn't really break down bulky walls with recovery all that well. Gourgeist-XL is a prime example of this as it's 3HKO by Banded Stoutland Return while recovering any lost health with Synthesis and whittle down Stoutland with either Seed Bomb or Foul Play while brushing off any of Sawsbuck's attacks with ease.

252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 153-181 (41 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Stoutland: 111-131 (35.6 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Megahorn vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 88-105 (23.5 - 28.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sawsbuck: 116-137 (38.5 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb
- U-turn / Swords Dance

Jumpluff's high speed and access to Sleep Powder, Swords Dance, and/or U-Turn allows it to outspeed many offensive threats and be a nuisance to offense in general. Jumpluff outspeeds both of these pokes, putting Stoutland to sleep, as well as hitting Sawsbuck hard with Acrobatics. Jumpluff can proceed to setup an SD on a sleeping Stoutland, allowing Pluff to break through Stout after a boost or two.
+2 252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Stoutland: 229-270 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sawsbuck: 282-332 (93.6 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
Ninetales @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock

Ninetales cant switch on none of they, but can check Sawsbuck and Stoutland cant switch in, so he can stop this core.
252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Stoutland: 187-220 (60.1 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sawsbuck: 455-538 (151.1 - 178.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Ninetales @ Leftovers
EVs: 36 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock

Ninetales cant switch on none of they, but can check Sawsbuck and Stoutland cant switch in, so he can stop this core.
252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Stoutland: 187-220 (60.1 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sawsbuck: 455-538 (151.1 - 178.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Nitpick but your set has Leftovers and your calcs have Life Orb, and there's no reason not to use max Speed on Ninetales for such a tiny amount of random bulk.

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick / Will-O-Wisp

This core tends to struggle with bulky grasses and mons like Jumpluff, so something that can melt these and provide momentum for this core is appreciated. Rotom-Frost accomplishes all of these things, able to outspeed Jumpluff and destroy grass types with its ice stab in Blizzard, as well as provide momentum for the core so they can get free switch-ins without taking direct damage outside of residual. Rotom-F can also cripple Piloswine with Trick or Willo, so that the core has an easier time with it, as well as getting past mons with recovery such as Avalugg (although not as common of late) with Trick. All in all, the momentum Rotom-Frost provides, the power to dismantle grass types, and the ability to wear down the core's checks and counters makes it a good partner for this core.

Last edited:

Raiza

World Defender

As we saw from the threats nomination, this core mainly struggles with fast attackers and annoying bulky Grass-types such as Tangela and Gourgeist, so I thought about Roselia, as it can help with many problems this core has. First of all, as this core doesn't have a great typing synergy and is purely offensive, it needs a sort of backbone that can tank hits, Roselia can do that pretty well. Roselia alsoprovides Toxic Spikes support, which heavily cripples bulky Grass-types, such as the ones I listed, and walls in general that can switch on Sawsbuck and Stoutland, and can absorb Toxic Spikes itself, which can be annoying to this core, as it lacks recovery. This core is also not that fast without sun support, so Roselia, thanks to its access to Stun Spore, can spam paralyses and therefore ease the job of the core in sweeping, while if running Sleep Powder, can create free switch opportunities for teammates, which can be lethal, especially against a core that threatening offensively

Last edited:

As we saw from the threats nomination, this core mainly struggles with fast attackers and annoying bulky Grass-types such as Tangela and Gourgeist, so I thought about Roselia, as it can help with many problems this core has. First of all, as this core doesn't have a great typing synergy and is purely offensive, it needs a sort of backbone that can tank hits, Roselia can do that pretty well. Roselia alsoprovides Toxic Spikes support, which heavily cripples bulky Grass-types, such as the ones I listed, and walls in general that can switch on Sawsbuck and Stoutland, and can absorb Toxic Spikes itself, which can be annoying to this core, as it lacks recovery. This core is also not that fast without sun support, so Roselia, thanks to its access to Stun Spore, can spam paralyses and therefore ease the job of the core in sweeping, while if running Sleep Powder, can create free switch opportunities for teammates, which can be lethal, especially against a core that threatening offensively
With this though, you'd be weak to ice/fire attackers. I guess a good way to fix that is thick fat Grumpig.

Ninetales @ Life Orb / Leftovers / Passho Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire blast / Flamethrower
- Nasty plot
- Energy ball
- Psyshock / Dark pulse
This core struggles mainly with bulky Grasses such as Tangela and some defensive Ghosts such as Misdreavus and Dusclops that Stoutland still has a hard time breaking through. Ninetales deals with bulky Grasses pretty easily and can set up on pretty much all defensive Ghosts.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the partners. :]

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Synthesis

Carracosta + Roselia is a pretty popular defensive core because both Pokemon cover a lot of threats in PU on their own, and have great type synergy together. Both Pokemon also carry entry hazards so it is pretty easy to pressure the opponent.

You have until Sunday to post threats to the core.

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb
- Swords Dance

This pokemon does very well against both Carracosta and Roselia with its powerfull dual stab.
However this pokemon can not OHKO both Carracosta or Roselia it can put Carracosta asleep and Swords Dance up on it. Against Roselia it can just spam powerfull Acrobatics doing a clean ~70% against it.

Last edited:

Raiza

World Defender

Ninetales @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball

This core struggles a lot against Ninetales, as it has access to coverage moves such as Energy Ball, which paired with Life Orb, can 1HKO Carracosta, and can also threaten Roselia with Fire Blast dealing massive amount of damage or just set up a Nasty Plot on it, becoming a menace for the whole team, which I guess would be a defensively-oriented one, so can get outspeeded most of the times. Ninetales can't directly switch in on Carracosta, but can be brought in after a teammates gets KOed or on Roselia, as it lacks Sleep Powder.

Last edited:

Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
This guy can OHKO Carracosta with a grass knot & 2HKO Roselia with an ice beam after stealth rocks. After just one nasty plot it has a 93% chance to OHKO the roselia after rocks as well. Simipour is an all around good pokemon, so when using the above core, watch-out for this monkey.

Last edited:

TONE

Torrent over Gluttony on Simipour tmacbalanced as you're not running a berry on that set you posted. Anyway, here's my threat:

Simisear @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Low Kick
- Rock Slide

Like Ninetales, Simisear can also threaten this core just as well backed with Life Orb Fire Blast for Roselia and Grass Knot talking care of Carracosta.

252 SpA Life Orb Simisear Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 398-468 (113 - 132.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Simisear Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 242-289 (79.6 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (43.8% to OHKO after Stealth Rock)

Last edited:

Saws @ Salac Berry/ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Double-Edge
- Substitute

Sawsbuck threatens Carracosta with Horn Leech, 2hko'ing it, and can even potentially setup a Substitute on it predicting the switch, making Saws a massive threat to many teams behind a sub barring Infiltrator Jumpluff. Sawsbuck can deal a massive amount of damage to Roselia with Double-Edge, 2hko'ing it , while ohko'ing at +2. Sawsbuck is a threat that isn't seen very much that can sweep unprepared teams pretty easily with Swords Dance, and threaten offensive teams really well with the speed boost from Salac Berry under its belt.
252 Atk Sawsbuck Horn Leech vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 180-216 (51.2 - 61.5%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (really thought this would do more, Carracosta is bulky af)

252 Atk Sawsbuck Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Eviolite Roselia: 163-193 (53.7 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Life Orb:

252 Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Horn Leech vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 234-281 (66.6 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Eviolite Roselia: 212-251 (69.9 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)