Project PU Core Analysis Workshop (Discussing partners to Rotom-F + Monferno)

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Doing this because I told GrimoireGod I'd contribute to this forum.

Klang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Klang is a threat to the posted core cause it shrugs off every attack, taking little to no damage from either Tangela or Clefairy, and doesn't mind Knock Off all too much. Klang can then set up to +6 with Shift Gear and 2HKO Tangela and Clefairy with a STAB Gear Grind. Rest helps it shrug off damage and status while Sleep Talk allows it to hit opposing Pokemon for damage or to further boost its stats while asleep.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

Poliwrath can be a good fit in balanced or bulky offensive teams especially along with this core because of its decent offensive presence along with its natural bulk. I decided this was a good teammate for the core firstly because Poliwrath is renowned for being the best Knock Off absorber in the tier, so I thought it would have been nice along two Eviolite users that struggle with Pokemon such as Pawniard, which are countered by Poliwrath. In fact, Poliwrath can check Steel-types for both Clefairy and Tangela, but it is also decent in dealing with Fire-types, which also give trouble to the core. Poliwrath appreciates Knock Off Clefairy, which usually picks off guard Roselia and allows Poliwrath to therefore 2HKO it with Ice Beam. Poliwrath also isn't really that durable, so a core like this can also tank some hits for it and help it live for longer, for example, Clefairy can switch in on Psychic-types such as Kadabra, while Tangela can tank physical hits from Pokemon such as CB Stoutland that trouble Poliwrath.

Last edited:

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus

Rapidash @ Charcoal
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun
- Drill Run

Rapidash has nice synergy with this core as it has Flash Fire to take Fire-type attacks aimed at Tangela, and can take down Steel-types for Clefairy. Rapidash also outspeeds all the threats listed to the core and can easily outspeed. Here are some calcs:

252 Atk Rapidash Drill Run vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 186-220 (64.8 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Charcoal Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0- Def Aurorus: 286-337 (73.7 - 86.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Charcoal Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 350-414 (151.5 - 179.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Charcoal Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Roselia: 492-578 (175 - 205.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Charcoal Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Klang: 212-252 (65.4 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Combined with Stealth Rock support and T-Wave support from Clefairy, Rapidash is a nice teammate for both Clefairy and Tangela

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Low Kick / Toxic / Knock Off
- Protect / Knock Off

Carracosta is an excellent partner to this core, as it provides important resistances to Fire, Flying, and Poison Types, while Clefairy and Tangela resist all of Carracosta's weaknesses quite nicely. Carracosta can also use Scald or Toxic to form a status spam core along with Clefairy and Tangela. Lastly, Carracosts brings much needed Stealth Rock support, which makes both offensive and defensive Pokemon easier to wear down.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the partners! They will be added to the OP which I am going to update now.

Next core:

Barbaracle @ White Herb
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Razor Shell
- Aerial Ace

Jumpluff
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Memento

Barbaracle is an incredibly threatening sweeper, but has trouble with some bulky Fighting- and Grass-types such as Poliwrath and Torterra. Jumpluff has to watch out for Poliwrath's Ice-type moves and Torterra's Stone Edge, but if given a free switchin or if the foe does not carry those moves can do a lot of damage to them. Another problem Barbaracle has is that it lacks setup opportunities, which is why Jumpluff's Memento support is extremely valuable to create those. Barbaracle can also set up on Pawniard, which checks Jumpluff.

You have until monday to post threats to the core.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Both Jumpluff and Barbaracle can't setup or are forced to switch against Zebstrika, as it is able to outspeed and swiftly KO Jumpluff after some prior damage with HP Ice(83-105), while it surely OHKOs Barbaracle with Thunderbolt. Zebstrika can also be brought in on Jumpluff as it takes little damage from Acrobatics and Sap Sipper nullifies both Sleep Powder and Seed Bomb, though it has to be wary about Memento as it will make Zebstrika setup fodder for Barbaracle.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh I forgot I reserved something here :O tagging GrimoireGod because I did it finally
711.gif

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Seed Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis

Gourgeist beats both Jumpluff and Barbaracle one on one because even their SE moves are weak as piss as long as Jumpluff is weakened by Rocks and/or Geist doesn't miss the wisp. It stops the core because it can switch into any one of Barbaracle's moves and Jumpluff cannot switch into Gourgeist and beat it 1v1.

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Okay, I got dis.

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick / Hidden Power Ice

Choice Scarf Rotom-Frost is a huge threat to thise core, as it can OHKO Barbaracle with Thunderbolt and disposes of Jumpluff with a Blizzard or an HP Ice. Rotom-F has to be careful switching into Barbaracle, as Stone Edge will OHKO it.

Grim

The Ghost
Not posting Tangela, Low Kick Pawniard, or even Torterra -.-

You can now post partners, you have until Friday. :heart:

Raiza

World Defender

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Signal Beam / Thunder Wave

Went through some of the possible partners for this core until I found Grumpig was a decent one so posting that. As we have seen this core struggles with both fast special attackers such as Zebstrika and Choice Scarf Rotom-F, but also bulky Grasses such as Gourgeist-Super and Tangela, so I thought Taunt Grumpig would've been a decent fit there. Grumpig is able to naturally check special attackers aforementioned because of ok special bulk and thick fat, while Taunt allows it to be a stop to Pokemon such as Tangela and Gourgeist-Super which rely mostly on their utility movepool. I choose Signal Beam over Thunder Wave because I think it would be the best fit especially on an offensive team, also can rack up good damage against Tangela. Thunder Wave is still good to give more chances to set up to Barbaracle though so I still put it as a slash.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.

Golem @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Blast
- Explosion / Sucker Punch

Golem is an excellent partner to the posted core for a number of reasons. The most notable of them all is being able to check dangerous Electric types such as Zebstrika and Rotom-F pretty nicely. Golem also provides vital hazard support to the core, especially to Barbaracle, turning a possible 2HKO into a high chance of getting an OHKO, making sweeping after a Shell Smash so much easier.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Clefairy @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Healing Wish

Although it seems like they would fit onto different teams, clefairy can still act as a pivot for offensively based ones and provides a lot of support for the core. Firstly it can set up stealth rocks, which baracle loves as it puts mons like poliwrath in range of +2, secondly healing wish support can mean barbaracle has a second go at sweeping (though if you have used memento and white herb it may be hard), and lastly is checks the water and electric types like simipour and raichu that annoy this core.

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 20 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch

Machoke beats all offensive electrics 1v1 and can switch in or twice. The bulky grasses like Tangela and Gourgeist that trouble the core are also defeated or crippled by Knock Off and Ice Punch. Machoke also beats most Steels that irritate Jumpluff and can wallbreak for both members of the core so they can clean up later.

Grim

The Ghost
:]

This core is long overdue:

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Mightyena @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Crunch
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Fang

Many teams have just one good answer to Dark-types, and while they might be able to defeat one of Pawniard or Mightyena they often fail to wall both. These two often succeed in overwhelming common Dark-type checks because Knock Off from Pawniard makes it more easy to wear them down, and Mightyena's great coverage allows it to hit standard Dark-type checks on the switchin. Usually Iron Tail would be the best option in the last Mightyena moveslot but Pawniard deals with all of its targets while Ice Fang prevents Torterra from walling both Pokemon and hit bulky Grass-types in general.

You have until Saturday to post threats to the core.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

walls pawn, mightyena cant switch in or OHKO but poli can, also has vacuum wave to force out a weak, resisted sucker if mightyena is low

Raiza

World Defender

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch / U-Turn

Because of its double typing and Eviolite, Monferno can switch on Dark-types such as Pawniard and Mightyena with ease, while it also doesn't get heavily damaged by moves such as Play Rough. Once it gets switched in, Monferno outspeeds both Pawniard and Mightyena and is easily able to take them out with Close Combat. Monferno can also shut down Mightyena if it gained some boosts with Mach Punch powered up by Iron Fist. Monferno doesn't appreciate getting its Eviolite knocked off though, even if it can deal with them anyway.

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

To be honest this will cause trouble to like every physical attacker without strong super effective coverage or brute power but lets get straight to the core in question. This thing sits there and takes any hit they may throw at it, even with its eviolite knocked off it takes any attack from the core like a champ thanks to being still really physically bulky. Giga Drain does 43.7% minimum to mightyena, hidden power fire is a 2hko on pawniard. All in all, the core is pretty annoyed by this.

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Low Kick
- Protect

Thanks to an insanely high Defense stat, and solid Defensive typing, Physically Defensive Carracosta tanks both of these Pokemon's attacks, and KO both with Low Kick. The best Pawniard can do is do ~51% maximum with a +2 Knock Off, and even after that, it will need to hit two straight Iron Heads in order to KO it, while Carracosta easily 2HKO's with Low Kick. Mightyena fails to break past Carracosta without defense drops and is also 2HKO'd by Low Kick, or it can be burned to death pending a Scald burn.

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Pelipper is able to weaken both Pawniard and Mightyena with Scald, as both of them dislike getting burnt, and heal any damage taken with Roost. It also has a high Defense stat that allows it to tank hits, and U-turn that allow it to be a decent pivot. If Pelipper does not get a burn on Pawniard, however, it can threaten Pelipper by setting up to +2 and 2HKO it with Knock Off.

252+ Atk Life Orb Mightyena Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 105-125 (32.5 - 38.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
8 SpA Pelipper Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mightyena: 115-136 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 94-112 (29.1 - 34.6%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 78-93 (24.1 - 28.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 187-222 (57.8 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 154-183 (47.6 - 56.6%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Grim

The Ghost
You can now nominate partners. You have until next Saturday because I will be gone for a week (or a mod can continue if they want).

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Grumpig

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

As this core has trouble with Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and bulky walls such as Tangela, Grumpig is a perfect partner thanks to its high Special Defense and Special Attack. Grumpig can Taunt walls such as Carracosta, Tangela, and Pelipper, cripple them with Thunder Wave, and wear them down with Psychic. It also can win against Poliwrath thanks to Thick Fat, and can 2HKO with Psychic. It also outspeeds Adamant Monferno and can OHKO with Psychic after Stealth Rock damage, although it can't switch in easily. Alternatively, Grumpig could run Heal Bell over Focus Blast to cure Scald burns.

252 SpA Grumpig Psychic vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Poliwrath: 252-296 (67.9 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Poliwrath Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Grumpig: 88-105 (29.2 - 34.8%) -- 8.6% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Grumpig Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Monferno: 254-302 (94.4 - 112.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Monferno Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Grumpig: 217-256 (72 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Can I reserve Carracosta again?

Reserving Pelipper. Will write up when I get back home. ^.^

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roost
- Air Slash

Pelipper is an excellent partner to this core for two main reasons. First off, the core is insanely weak to powerful fighting types, most notably Machoke, and Pelipper is an excellent check to it. The core is also rather weak to hazards, especially Spikes, and Pelipper is an excellent Pokemon to provide Defog support.

Last edited:

Raiza

World Defender

Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Low Kick

As I wanted to follow a more offensive path for this core, I decided Simipour could've been a decent partner to these two. I choose Simipour mainly because it would bring more pace to the core, while it is able to break through common walls the core struggles with, such as Tangela and Carracosta, while still being able to threaten Fighting-types such as Monferno and Poliwrath because of the combination of Hydro Pump and coverage moves such as Grass Knot. Simipour also appreciates the support this core gives to it, as both Pawniard and Mighyena are able to deal with Pokemon such as Grumpig and Hypno which wall Simipour, while Pawniard can also hinder Clefairy with Knock Off or directly Iron Head, therefore disallowing it to easily switch into Simipour later on.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)