Resource PU Matchmaking! (Week 9.1: Aurorus)

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
After taking the votes it seem that the winner is esteemed PU room owner and night-guard Akir wins, so congratulations bud!

Drampa @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Almost certainly one of the most hyped pokemon this PUPL, and for good reason, Drampa stands out as being the strongest special wallbreaker in the tier thanks to a blisteringly high Special Attack stat coupled with an amazing special movepool. Can you help Drampa find true love?

Submissions end Sunday!

asa

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

I’ve been experimenting with forms of Normal-type spam recently, and the pairing I’ve had most success with was none other than Drampa + Kangaskhan. Kangaskhan can help in dealing with offense for Drampa, which is a playstyle it suffers against due to its low speed. Drampa can in turn aid her by being a major thorn in the side of balance and stall teams, which Kangaskhan suffers against due to not being able to consistently deal a ton of damage. Furthermore, both can support one another in wearing down the Normal-type resists on a team, making it easier to just spam their respective high-powered Normal-type STABs. They obviously stack a Fighting-type weakness, but this can easily be circumvented during team-building.

Last edited:

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
haha yes I'm boring I chose the mon that goes with everything

There's definitely a lot of sets you could use with Mesprit, but the main draw is U-turn. Specs U-turn and Offensive Stealth Rock and even Choice Scarf are all great options but I'm gonna choose Defensive because I think it goes with it the best.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish / Thunder Wave

So Drampa is a slow breaker and one of the things that slow breakers appreciate the most are U-turn or Volt Switch users. Furthermore, the most popular choices for Pokemon to revenge kill Drampa are Fighting-types: Primeape, Hitmonchan, and Gurdurr. Finally, Drampa appreciates hazards to wear down its checks, Healing Wish to give it more chances to click Draco/Hvoice, and Thunder Wave to slow down the opposing team so there is less fear of being revenge killed.

Mesprit is the perfect partner for Drampa. It has access to all of the things mentioned before- U-turn, the ability to check Fighting-types, hazards, and either Healing Wish or Thunder Wave. I'm slashing Rocky Helmet to punish Fighting-types more but Colbur Berry and even Leftovers are fine.

so yea :bop:

Last edited:

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

Zebstrika can pivot and clean up after Drampa has done its job of decimating the opposition. Zebstrika also gets access to insane speed and Volt Switch, helping it to get Drampa onto the field safely. In return for this, Drampa can weaken even the toughest of walls, giving Zebstrika openings to clean/sweep.

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
hello i am taking swanna

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Defog / Substitute
- Roost

hello yes i have taken Swanna. Swanna and Drampa are a pretty sick combination as they can work together to beat common metagame threats through their good offensive typing matchup. As people have already mentioned, Drampa really doesn't like Fighting-types, and Swanna is one of the best offensive Fighting-type checks in the tier, only really fearing a Stone Edge from Primeape or a random Thunder Punch. Similarly, Swanna can also help take on annoying pokemon such as Piloswine, Abomasnow, and Regirock, which Drampa can occasionally struggle against. In return, Drampa basically blows up the entire metagame for Swanna, including some of its best answers such as Lanturn. Together, they can also work together to break common defensive Pokemon such as Ferroseed and Miltank.

Last edited:

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
And this week's winner appears to be Twix so grats bud! I'd also like to congratulate him again as he's now in the Hall of Fame! The runner-up this week was pancake, so very well done to you too n_n

Togedemaru @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Fake Out
- Toxic
- Zing Zap

Thought I'd, again, mix it up a little bit and focus on a support Pokémon this week, being Togedemaru. With a decently sized utility move-pool with moves such as Fake Out, Encore, and Toxic at its disposal, along with a good Speed tier of base 96 it really is a very annoying Pokémon to face. Let's see if we can find a partner for this cute thing!

Submissions end Sunday!

dibs

double iron bashes
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Taunt

Offensive support Togedemaru gets free turns by spamming fake out and is able to force out support mons with encore. Because of this it works extremely well with hazards, and Qwilfish is the best setter in terms of type synergy. Qwilfish acts as a fighting resist against Gurdurr and Hitmonchan (not Primeape rip) which otherwise threaten Togedemaru. It also offensively checks Magmortar despite being an unreliable fire switch in, outspeeding all varients and threatening it with waterfall. In return, Togedemaru is able to switch in on electric and psychic attacks, using leftovers with the free turns given by fake out to stay healthy.

Last edited:
Reserving Floatzel

^My five minutes wasted on paint

Floatzel @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Waterfall
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch

I decided to take a more offensive approach to giving Todegemaru a partner. The problem that nearly every defensive core faces are two of the best wallbreakers in the tier: Magmortar and Abomasnow. Their superb coverage, solid stats and nifty abilities make them a nightmare to deal with if you're running a defensive team. Todegemaru gets scorched by Fire Blast from Magmortar and grounded by Earthquake from Abomasnow. Floatzel has the ability to take on the two titans that tear apart defense.

Outside of those two pokes, Todegemaru can sponge Grass and Electric moves, and can possibly stop an opponent's momentum via Volt Switch. Floatzel takes on the Ground and bulkier Steel types that threaten Todegemaru. Todegemaru can Encore things into unfavorable moves and grant Floatzel a free switch-in or possible setup. Being burn-proof is a nice bonus, and allows it do deal with Sableye lacking Foul Play much more easily (It can even take advantage of Taunt by using Z-Bulk Up, which bypasses Taunt and grants it +2 Attack.) Being faster than +2 Carracosta is a nice touch too, because Todegemaru can't outspeed and Encore it after a Shell Smash.

252 Atk Floatzel Waterfall vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Magmortar: 314-372 (102.2 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Floatzel All-Out Pummeling (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 424-500 (132 - 155.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 Atk Floatzel All-Out Pummeling (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 230-272 (78.7 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Floatzel All-Out Pummeling (160 BP) vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Carracosta: 352-416 (121.7 - 143.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)