PU Speed CCAT [Finished! See post #91]

Status
Not open for further replies.
PU - NU in NU
PU Speed CCAT

Alright tier shifts are a better time than ever to /properly/ revive this metagame.
The Pokemon allowed in PU have been updated in the OP to match the most recent tier shifts.

I think it would be fun to do a speed CCAT akin to RoA's. Step 1 will be dedicated to choosing a Pokemon for our team to be based around and a playstyle. 24 hours will be spent suggesting and 24 hours will be spent voting.

I'm going to kick this off by suggesting Combusken

@ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

and a playstyle of Offense

I'm suggesting Combusken because, although its special attack is mediocre, its strong STABs and the excellent coverage they provide make it worthwhile. Many top Pokemon such as Rampardos, Rotom-F, and Ursaring, as well as the plethora of Grass-types that appear are nailed by its attacks. Not to mention it's one of the few Pokemon to receive speed boost. However Swanna resists both of its STABs and presents itself are dominant threat

The team so far:

Combusken @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Ice Punch/Punishment
- Low Kick

Duosion @ Eviolite
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Recover

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think that a new drop will be pretty interesting for this tier: Stoutland.

@ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Crunch
- Fire Fang

I'll also suggest an Offensive playstyle.

Stoutland is the premiere offensive Normal-type powerhouse of the tier, with an impressive base 100 Atk supported by a decent base 80 Speed. With near perfect coverage, Fire Fang becomes the very specialized fourth move meant mostly for Wormadam-Trash. Intimidate is much more useful in PU because the few Ghosts in the tier tend to be slower than Stoutland (except Gastly). Freeing up the Crunch moveslot with Scrappy basically only allows you to use another elemental fang or Wild Charge, so Crunch would still be the most useful move. In that case, Intimidate provides more utility by also allowing Stoutland to be a nice pivot switch into most physical attackers. Of course, Stoutland notably is very vulnerable on the Special side, and anything with really high physical bulk can still tank even boosted hits (though few have reliable recovery).

keiran basically made me do this.

Relicanth @ Leftovers
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 188 Def / 248 HP / 72 Atk
Impish Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
Relicanth is pretty much the best pokemon ever made. An incredibly bulky and strong tank. With the given EVs he can OHKO tank camerupt with waterfall. Head smash will rape all other fire types and flying types, or everything in general. Waterfall hits rock types, ground types, and fighting types harder. Toxic cripples bulky fighting types and stealth rock supports. Relicanth is really bulky and can take stuff like CB rampardos superpower and KO with waterfall. His weaknesses are crippling but a normal resistance and great physical bulk outweigh his shortcomings by a lot.

In terms of playstyles I would like to suggest balance. Relicanth + Special Wall + Scarfer + Set up sweeper(s) + Glue

Awesome! This is a really good idea :>

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 204 Spd / 52 HP
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Low Kick

Fraxure is something I have seen a surprisingly small amount of: it is just such an incredible sweeper. Beofre BW2, it suffered from coverage issues, but the new games have bestowed upon it coverage moves like Low Kick, Superpower and Aqua Tail, meaning Fraxure can now hit those Steels that once walled it to hell and back. The bulk provided by Eviolite means it can take a couple of hits while setting up. Substitute is a great buffer against status, which is often the first thing people will do upon seeing Fraxure in order to cripple it, meaning Fraxure can get a free DD up and demolish stuff. Dragon Claw is a decently powerful STAB attack without the negative side effects of Outrage. Low Kick hits most other things, mainly Steels that resist it's Dragon STAB. The EV spread is so that Fraxure outspeeds max speed Simis after using Dragon Dance. Max Attack Adamant is so that Fraxure can break through some of the sturdier walls in the tier, and the rest is thrown into HP to bolster Fraxure's acceptable bulk with Eviolite.

Playstyle wise, I feel like offense would be be the most attractive for newer players to the tier.

^^ stole my first idea. Then i found out Tauros was moved up to NU. fuck. Anyway I still think I have something interesting enough.

Butterfree @ Leftovers
Trait: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance

Butterfree is a legitmate threat in PU. Bug Buzz+HP Ground is unresisted in the entire metagame thanks to it's amazing ability Tinted Lens. Butterfree can use it's moderate speed or it's resistances and immunities to net itself a Sleep Powder, which subsequently lets it sets up Quiver Dances. At +2, not much can stop a butterfree from ruthlessly sweeping your team and without a scarfer, you would be rather hard-pressed dealing with it at +1. Of course, it does have a major weakness to SR. However, the main Stealth Rock user -- Gigalith, is very predictable and you can spin with a pokemon such as Sandshrew which can beat out Gigalith. The idea that Butterfree's checks are rather predictable will make a smooth CCAT imo and the novelty of using a Pokemon like Butterfree would attract newcomers.

I was gonna go for Frillish but Icicle Fissh did say some good shit for Offense. So here we got Butterfree and Offense as the playstyle.

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant nature
- Outrage
- Crunch
- Fire Fang
- Substitute

Strongest Outrage in the game bar Kyurem-B, courtesy of Hustle. Fire Rang grants coverage and Crunch is obligatory STAB. 20 Spe EVs outspeed Weezing and allow Zweilous to Substitute to block Will-o-Wisp.
Offense

With 5 votes, Offense wins!

You have 24 hours to vote for ours teams first Pokemon!!

Special Combusken
Choice Band Stoutland
Tank Relicanth
SubDD Fraxure
Quiver Dance Butterfree
Tank Zweilous

Vote for 1

HEAD SMASH BITCH!

Relicanth, although I think a less tannish and more offensive spread should be used. Same moveset, but more attack/speed. Like maybe never being 2HKOed by linoone seed bomb after rocks would be enoh bulk.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Choice Band Stoutland

For an offensive playstyle, Stoutland provides a very useful utility in Intimidate. It wears down many defensive mons with its powerful Banded moves, as well as has a decent Speed to strike a good portion of the metagame first. The other options are all good for offense I guess, with a few of them being good cleaners. I guess the one that requires the least amount of support will win the votes though, since that will free up our teamslots for more utility and power. That said, I think Stoutland has that quality since it doesn't need too much support except a bit of residual damage to wear down walls.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Choice Band Stoutland

I may know very little about PU but that doesn't mean I can't vote for the almighty dog as our first Pokemon...

2 Relicanth
5 Stoutland
7 Combusken
3 Fraxure

With 7 votes, Combusken wins!

@ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

For this next step, you can nominate 1 Pokemon or a core of 2 Pokemon to accompany Combusken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)