ORAS PU PU VoltTurn, it works right there!

VoltTurn power!

Introduction

Hi everyone, I'm PU is mah waifu, I've had a lot of names before but I prefer to stay anonymous in the other tiers, where I played a lot, specifically RU and NU. I'm relatively new to PU, due to the fact that it was NU before and I was away from Pokemon for some time. I found this tier pretty interesting since I've always loved the Mons classified as usseless, I mean, "usseless"? In the right hands still can do some beautiful things. Well, this is my first RMT so all kind of help is much apreciated. I apologize for any confusion that my english may could cause, as I know it's not precisely perfect. Without further ado, let's check this out.

Team building process

In other tiers I've used some VoltTurn teams that worked succesfully (that Scyther-Lanturn is just delicious), so after so many teams with many different playstyles, i've decided to give it a try to the VoltTurn.

First, Pikachu came to my mind due to it's high offensive stats as a wallbreaker that forces many switches, but after a while I've preffered to use Raichu, as it is much faster than Pikachu. Then arrives Vullaby, as it has the ground immunity that Raichu needs and Raichu has the immunity to electric that Vullaby needs, and also has acces to U-Turn, which makes it an excellent partner. After this I've needed an entry hazard setter, and Probopass came to my mind to continue with my VoltTurn synergy. Raticate and Beedrill were selected as my physical attackers, but I will talk about them later. Lastly, I've needed more firepower from the special side, and Beheeyem just fits there perfectly.
Let's take a closer look.

The Team

Fairy (Raichu) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nuzzle
- Fake Out / HP Ground
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Overview

Raichu is a fast mon that can spread paralysis to the oposing team, with a powerful Volt Switch boosted by STAB that hits pretty decent even without the Life Orb. With Fake Out it can deal little damage to break sashes and sturdy while also serving as a small gadget to revenge kill. Hidden Power Ground let's 2HKO Zebstrika and opposing Raichu, two common checks to Raichu.

In-depth analysis

Nuzzle gives Raichu a lot of utility by paralyzing every switch in, and then Volt Switch to gain momentum and maintaning pressure to the opposing team. Thunderbolt is a powerful STAB move that hits pretty hard. The last move I'm not sure on what is better, because Fake Out provides a lot more of utility, while making this Raichu completely walled by practically everything that resists or is immune to electric. HP Ground gives useful coverage and pretty unexpected, which can pick off a KO or two with ease.
The given EV and nature are to maximize damage output without forgetting the speed.

Alternative options

Thunder Wave can be used over Nuzzle to prevent Sucker Punch revenge killing, and then trust in the para hax. Raichu has a wide movepool to choose, from supporting moves such as Encore or Knock Off, or coverage options like Focus Blast or Grass Knot. The EV spread can be changed to maximize the speed, but I prefer the damage because of the paralysis from Nuzzle and the safety of the sash if gets outspeeded.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Maya (Beedrill) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Overview

While it may look a terrible Pokemon, Beedrill still possesses a decent attack stat and a STAB U-Turn, one of the strongest in the tier. It also has acces to Knock Off, which gives it a niche to be feared for the common Eviolite users that run rampant in the tier.

In-depth analysis

Beedrill is not a bad Scarf Pokemon, it possesses a 75 Speed Stat which let's it with a total speed of 409, outspeeding several threats. U-Turn is the most spammable move because of the decent damage that it does plus the main reason to use it, maintain momentum and pressure to the enemy. Poison Jab is a solid STAB option that hits pretty decent to any Grass and the occasional Fairy. Many people don't know that Beedrill gets acces to Knock Off, and there are a lot of Misdreavous, Dusclops, Tangela and Roselia switch in's, a lot, and Knock Off let'em severely crippled for the rest of the match. Drill Run allows to hit Rock, Steel, Electric and Fire mons supereffectively, capable of OHKO a lot of threats if it does the crit.
The EV spread and nature are for maximizing it's poor speed, totally needed.
Alternative options

There is not many options for Beedrill. Swarm can be used for a stronger U-Turn when it's on low health but Beedrill will not survive more than two resisted hits to bring down it's HP low enough. X-Scissor is a stronger STAB move but Poison Jab is prefered for coverage and poison chance. Pursuit can pick off a kill on threats such as Grumpig, but once again, U-Turn is the move that you will (must) choose most of the times.

Bigotaso (Probopass) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Rock Blast

Overview
Probopass is an amazing wall and a very good lead thanks to Thunder Wave, the Stealth Rock, Rock Blast to break sashes from suicide leads, and the pivot tool in the form of Volt Switch.

In-depth analysis

My entry hazard setter, and also a great support mate for my team, thanks to it's Thunder Wave, spreading love to the enemies. Volt Switch is the main reason to use it as it works extremelly well in tandem with the team, gaining momentum and, because of it's slowness, a safe switch in for the most cases. Rock Blast is a great move to bypass Focus Sash leads, Substitutes, and a decent STAB attack.
The EV are given into Special Defense because Vullaby is already a good physical wall.

Alternative options

Toxic could be run over Thunder Wave, but I appreciate much more the paralysis support. Flash Canon is a good damage move thanks to it STAB boost, but I prefer Rock Blast for the sashes. Pain Split and Magic Coat are all good moves, but Probopass simply lacks the room for it.

bigbirdisbig (Vullaby) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Tailwind / Roost

Overview

A very strong physical wall in the tier, capable of returning the damage to the enemies with Foul Play, while also providing team support with Defog and Tailwind. It also has acces to a slow U-Turn, excellent for a safe switch in.

In-depth analysis

Vullaby sports a very good defensive typing, granting an immunity to ground and psychic at a time, and resisting many ofensive types that rules the tier. Defog allows it to remove entry hazards when needed, even in front of many entry hazard setters thanks to Foul Play, which gives it a great power for such a bulky Pokemon. Tailwind provides team support, specially for Raticate, making it an absolute monster mid-to-late game cleaner. Roost is the only form of recovery that Vullaby has and I guess is my prefered option over Tailwind, because it really needs it. U-Turn maintains the tactic of the team perfectly. The given spread is to maximize Vullaby physical bulk.

Alternative options

Knock Off is an interesting option for supporting the team, crippling opposing threats to Vullaby. Toxic could be used to put a timer on certain Pokemons but I don't like it much. It also has acces to Whirlwind to phaze out setup sweepers that would try to setup on Vullaby.

Vegetta777 (Raticate) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Facade
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

Overview

Guts Raticate is a force to be reckoned with and anyone who doesn't agree with me must see it in action. It's an excellent wallbreaker with Facade, dealing big chunks of damage even to dedicated walls.

In depth analysis

When you can deal close to 40% health to a Golem with a single Facade, the enemy must be very cautious on what to switch in, and that's a chance to use U-Turn and deal chip damage plus the Stealth Rock, and there you have the main goal of this team. Guts plus Facade deals heavy damage to practically everything (ghost immunity, sick). Sucker Punch comes in form of priority to revenge kill or to hit those Ghost mons supereffectively. Protect is there for scouting a choice Pokemon and to activate the orb.

Alternative options

Raticate has acces to Wild Charge which gives him more coverage, and also Crunch to deal with those Ghost mons that can come to wall Raticate. Superfang can be used to deal big chunks of damage to those walls that are going to resist your Facade, such as Probopass. It also has acces to Swords Dance, and makes it an even more terrifying wallbreaker, if it can setup, of course.

Alien (Beheeyem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind

Overview

Beheeyem hits like a truck, specially if the oponent decides to switch, no matter if it resist it or not. It's a great wallbreaker that can setup and sweep with ease if the physical threats are previously eliminated.

In-depth analysis

Psychic is the main move of Beheeyem, as it hits with STAB and lot of power, even when resisted. That makes the oponent to think twice if he wants to switch, because it's gonna hurt with it's Analytic ability. Dark Pulse is the prefered option over Shadow Ball for coverage, because the Normal immunity to Ghost is just there, and there are a lot of Normal Pokemon in this tier. Thunderbolt closes the coverage. Calm Mind is a setup move that will frighten the opposing team if it don't have a response for it.
The EV are given to maximize the damage and give Beheeyem some bulk.

Alternative options

It has a wide movepool to choose from it, saying Energy Ball and Signal Beam, which demolishes many threats to Beheeyem. It also has acces to Nasty Plot, making it a fearsome wallbreaker, but it will lack the bulk to survive many hits and will mostly fail without team support (meaning paralysis or Tailwind).
It can learn Thunder Wave, Magic Coat and Recover for a much more bulky and supportive role, but in my team is not really needed.

Conclusion

I've played a while with this team and it works pretty nice, but it has it's flaws of course. These are mainly bulky rock and grass types, such as Golem and Specially Defensive Tangela. Camerupt is also a huge problem. I'm having troubles against most of these Pokemon because of the little coverage so I'm starting to think in making changes, that's why I posted it, I wanted to know about more people and take the right decisions.
I guess Beedrill should go out, and maybe Banded Leafeon will do it better, since it can OHKO Golem with Bullet Seed and cripple Eviolite users with Knock Off, and also has acces to Baton Pass to pivot around. Maybe Rampardos is also a good idea since it forces many switches and it has good coverage, even it can also OHKO Golem with Mold Breaker. Raticate maybe should go away too and replaced by Purugly. It has less attack but is faster and has acces to a strong Fake Out, and Defiant is a great ability to avoid being Defoged.

Anyways, hope you rate my team and help me improve it. Cheers c:

Fairy (Raichu) @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Nuzzle
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Maya (Beedrill) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Bigotaso (Probopass) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Rock Blast

bigbirdisbig (Vullaby) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Roost

Vegetta777 (Raticate) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Facade
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch

Alien (Beheeyem) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Interesting team you have there, with some good pokemon! However some of the sets you are using are mostly pretty bad competitively. It's no worry though, because they can be fixed! First I suggest looking at some resources on the PU Forums and watching some players battle in the PU room on Showdown so you can better learn the tier. Then try out some of the changes I've suggested below.

1. First of all, Raichu should probably run Life Orb over Focus Sash, because otherwise it is very weak and can't break through anything. I also changed Modest Nature to Timid Nature so you can outspeed huge threats like Ursaring and Rapidash.
Fairy (Raichu) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice

2. Secondly, Ninjask is much superior to Beedrill as a U-turn pokemon since it both hits harder and is faster when holding a Choice Band. It loses out on a bit of coverage but it has so many more benefits I would definitely replace Beedrill for Ninjask.
Ninjask @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- X-Scissor
- Night Slash

3. I'm not really sure about Probopass on this team, but I guess it does help with Mawile and set rocks so it can be okay. However the set you are running isn't optimal. For example, Rock Blast is useless because Probopass has such a low attack stat. There are many options you can run, such as running Power Gem or Taunt, but I went with a standard offensive set for you. Also put a Passho Berry because you are weak to water-types.
Probopass @ Passho Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

4. Raticate really isn't that good. I get that it hits hard but is outclassed by other normal-type attackers since it lacks the coverage to break through normal resists as well. It's also very frail. You can try Ursaring or Stoutland over Raticate since they're much better, however they're not the only options. For example, Yache Leafeon gives you a better Floatzel check, and Floatzel itself can give you somewhat of a will-o-wisp absorber, while both are offensive pokemon.
Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Facade
- Superpower
- Pursuit

5. Finally I like your use of a bulky setup sweeper like Beheeyem to round things off. However, the set is subpar because it's not running Recover, meaning it can be easily put into low health and then finished off, instead of staying around. Here would be a nice alternative set:
Beheeyem @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/HP Fight

It's not bulky enough to tank physical hits and special hits after one calm mind, plus it still hits really hard because it's Beheeyem.

I hope this helped! Hang around more in PU and you'll learn the tier quickly

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)