VGC Punch everything! Mega Gallade RMT

Hey all! I'm pretty experienced with the upper Smogon tiers, but VGC has been something that I've really gotten into lately after seeing the National/World Championships last year. I've been doing pretty well moving high up the Battle Spot Doubles rating ladder, but I'm still fairly new, so I'm looking to see if there's anything I can do to improve the team at all. I've tried to do my best to use some of my favorites and stay away from the "generic" teams you see on the ladder (M-Kanga, Lando-T, Bisharp, Sylveon, Talonflame, etc.), but at this point I'm willing to bend on that if it's a perfect fit for the team. Any suggestions for anything are appreciated!

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus (Justified on Gallade)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Close Combat
- Protect

My favorite mega who I love in singles, but I'm actually finding out is pretty good in doubles as well, especially since I don't have to worry about Fake-Out or Rock Slide flinches. Initially I had Knock Off over Zen Headbutt, but I've found that the secondary STAB (and chance of flinching) is much more useful, especially for Amoongus, Venusaur, and really anything that Close Combat can't wreck. Ice Punch is mainly for the things that are 4x weak to it, as even at -1 he can do massive damage to things like Landorus-T. EV spread is simple but still maximizes his role, and he absolutely owns Kangaskhan.

Arcanine @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 124 SpA / 4 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Protect

My support Intimidater who actually doesn't fear Bisharp, even at +1. He can survive +1 Adamant Bisharp's Sucker Punch, or out-speed it if it goes for Knock Off (or Iron Head on its teammate), and OHKO with Overheat. Overheat also handles Mawile and Aegislash very well. WoW combined with Intimidate really ruins physical attackers, while Snarl can hinder Special Attackers. I had considered Helping Hand over Protect, and experimented with Leftovers over Rocky Helmet, but I've found to like this set currently.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 48 SpA / 68 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave

Cybertron's EV spread for my support Thundurus. Pretty self-expanatory moveset, and he's really been clutch for me in spreading Thunder Waves to things Gallade and Terrakion can't outspeed (or speed-tie), and Taunting Will-O-Wisp and Trick Room users. I've considered going for a more offensive spread, but for now he fills his role on the team perfectly.

Milotic (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Sort of a weird set, I know. I put max bulk into it for it to support with Icy Wind and Scald, and punish any M-Mences/Lando-Ts that come in due to Competitive. HP Grass was mainly for Swampert and Gastrodon, but I don't often see them. I considered Dragon Tail to potentially get a free boost from King's Shield, but I thought that was even more situational than HP Grass.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Close Combat
- Protect

I needed something to punish Mega Charizard-Y and Talonflame (a major threat to Gallade), and Terrakion has been great in this role. Pretty basic set, with Quick Guard really the only potential surprise. I had Double Kick in the past, but I literally never used it, and never encountered a Focus Sash Bisharp. I also had Lum Berry previously, but I've found Focus Sash to come in the clutch lately, especially since Lum is a pretty common item on it that people predict.

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Bug Bite
- Protect

Scizor handles those annoying Fairies who threaten Gallade, but also does quite well against Cresselia, Venusuar, and M-Metagross. Another fairly simple spread, but if he isn't Bullet Punching, he'll often need to tank a hit. Knock Off for some coverage, and Bug Bite for secondary STAB and to deal nice damage to some of the non-fairies I listed above (not to mention stealing some berries occassionally!).

If I'm honest about my team, it's still pretty weak to Intimidate, even with Milotic, so I've been considering swapping Scizor for Bisharp, and then maybe Milotic for another special attacker. Too often Milotic isn't doing much other than using Icy Wind, unless it gets the Competitive boost. Even then, it's mediocre speed can allow it to be KO'd by faster things that double target it. The team generally lies on speed control from Thundurus/Milotic, and then the power of everything else.

I'll consider any suggestions for anything, but I absolutely want to keep M-Gallade and make him work. I would prefer to keep Arcanine as well, as both Gallade and Arcanine are flawless shinies that I bred myself. Thundurus has also been fantastic, but I'll consider anything that can help me improve my chances. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Bump.

I've been trying standard Bisharp (Defiant, Adamant, Life Orb, 4/252/252, Sucker Punch, Knock Off, Iron Head, Protect) in Scizor's place for the past few days, and it's yielded great results (in a small sample size, of course). While Scizor could take a hit much better, Intimidate still greatly hindered him, and just the threat of Defiant Bisharp seems to have scared my opponents from bringing certain Pokemon or making certain plays. While I like Scizor better, Bisharp seems to be too good a fit not to use him.

I'm curious to see if anyone still has any suggestions in general, or more specifically about Pokemon I could replace Terrakion or Milotic with. I haven't faced a rain team yet since making this switch, so I'm not 100% sure how it will go since I took off one of the four Pokemon I had typically used to handle them. Milotic still isn't great in every matchup either. The threat of activating Competitive is very nice, and she's play a key role in supporting in a few battles, but there are some battles where it just doesn't do much. Terrakion, however, I don't think I have even brought to a battle since making to switch, so I'm wondering if I should switch him out for something. I considered Scarf T-tar (with the added bonus of my opponent again not knowing exactly which Pokemon will be my mega before the battle), but I don't like the dual x4 weakness to fighting I would have.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Alright let's RMT this, meant to do it before so sorry for being late lol.
Gallade: looks fine
Arcanine: also looks fine however I would switch out Protect with Morning Sun since your rk9 isn't carrying a sitrus berry so the longevity morning sun provides is helpful for a bulky mon like RK9
Thundurus: looks good.
Milotic: although this makes your team really weak to Fighting, I suggest replacing Milotic with Ferrothorn with the moves Gyro Ball, Power Whip, Protect, Leech Seed. 252 HP, 204 Atk, 52 Sp Def. Ferrothorn checks Rain, which is kind of needed for your team, Landorus and Rotom-W, which is something that Milotic can't really do.
Terrakion: this is sort of a weird switch but I suggest switching Terrakion with offensive Rotom-H. With the moves Overheat, Thunderbolt, Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave, and Protect. With Safety Goggles and an EV spread of 244 HP /36 Def / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 84 Spe. Rotom-H is cool against Charizard y and Talonflame which is needed for Gallade. It does make your team a bit weak to rock but you've got Gallade to check most Rock Slide mons anyways. safety goggles Heat is also a really good answer to sun teams which is, again needed for your team.
Bisharp: switching scizor with this is definitely a good call as Gallade generally has trouble breaking through bulky Psychic types like Cress.
Well that's p much it dude, sorry that it took a while for this. All in all, great team and let me know how the team works! Good luck man!! :)

Hey thanks for the suggestions! I had almost forgotten I posted here and had been trying out a new team this season, so it was a pleasant surprise to see this :)

The Rotom suggestion is absolutely something I want to try. The spread looks solid, but out of curiosity, is there anything specific that those EVs outspeed/KO/survive?

Ferrothorn will definitely help my rain situation, but I wanted your thoughts on another potential Pokemon. I already have steel STAB, and Power Whip isn't always the most reliable, so what about something like Weakness Policy Lapras? Freeze Dry absolutely wrecks Ludicolo, Swampert, and Kingdra. Hydro Pump for secondary STAB, Protect of course, and then either Ice Shard, Icy Wind, or some other filler move (Perish Song, etc.). Modest or Quiet nature, with a 252HP/252Sp Atk spread to start (and I can adjust it to survive another Thunderbolt from Thundurus, Rock Slide from Lando-T, etc. or other specific moves as I see how it takes hits).

Arcanine is one of my favorite Pokemon, so it's gonna pain me to say this, but I think with the addition of Rotom-H I think he should be replaced. The only things he would really be bringing to the team still are Intimidate and Snarl (which I probably use by far the least of his 3 non-Protect moves) since Rotom will likely have Will-o-Wisp and I think a stronger Overheat. Do you have any suggestions for what I could use to take Arcanine's spot? I had been trying out M-Mawile in Terrakion's place as part of a duel mega team, and bringing Mawile in situations where Gallade was potentially at a severe disadvange. I think some of Gallade's weak points are covered better with the additions of Rotom-H and either Ferrothorn or Lapras, so perhaps I don't need the 2nd mega.

An Intimidator would be nice still, so the non-mega evolving ones that could be used would be Gyarados (not sure if I want the 2nd water type if I stick with Lapras), Hitmontop (Fake Out and potentially Wide and/or Quick Guard would be nice, but I already have Fighting STAB), Scrafty (again, Fake Out and Quick Guard are nice, but I have Fighting and Dark STABs), and of course Lando-T. Not one of my favorites, but I think he almost fits too well not to use him. Rock Slide would be nice now that I don't have Terrakion on the team, and STAB EQ would be nice as well, especially since Thundurus and Rotom are immune. I hate that he's so common, but I think he would greatly help my team, and some of my Pokemon are rather uncommon so I think my team would still be unique anyway.

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)