Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard
Vulpix
Ponyta/Rapidash
Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion
Houndour/Houndoom
Torkoal
Victini
Hitomashi/Ranpuraa (Shandera line)
Kuitaran (Pure fire-type with good Sp. A and every other stat is basically crap)

Through Breeding:
Slugma/Magcargo

So basically, in my view, this move is like Will-o-wisp but with less accuracy in exchange for HUGE immediate damage as well. It's a lot like Sacred Fire as well, but instead of burning half the time and (nearly) always hitting, it hits half the time but always burns. Unfortunately, the move has a tiny distribution among only some of the less bulky fire types (fairly bad typing defensively), so the most common use of Will-o-wisp (crippling physical sweepers so you can wall more effective/make it useless). Additionally, the attack, due to its accuracy, averages only 50 power over a long series of turns. In the end, the move will probably be used mostly on gimmicky teams/pokemon that rely on accuracy boosts (claw sharpen?)

What does everyone think?

I can't see this being used. I see this as Zap Cannon- sure, Lock On users and accuracy boosts could help, but in the end it's a move that misses half the time.

I was hoping something new with No Guard would show up. It'd be great if a No Guard pokemon could learn this, though. Until that day, I can't see this being competitively viable or at the very least a huge risk.

It's just another Zap Cannon, and we all know how extremely successful Zap Cannon was last gen.

Claw Sharpen increases accuracy as well as PHYSICAL attack by one stage, so this SPECIAL move will probably not see much use on those Claw Sharpen sets.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I really only see Victni as a viable user. With Gravity support this thing is able to hit as often much more often Toss Scope Lens, and I'm use you have a decent way of utilizing Purgatory.

Run:

Victin @ Scope Lens
Modest/Timid
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
-Purgatory
-Focus Blast
-Thunder
-Shadow Ball/Psychic/Psycho Shock

Basically set up Gravity and bring this in to start sweeping.

If Victini gets Gravity somehow, I could see this being a decent move for it since Purgatory gets a respectable 91.6% Accuracy after the Gravity boost and Victory Star.

Currently, no Pokemon gets Gravity, Lock-On, Mind Reader, or Coil with Purgatory (except Smeargle) and Charizard is the only Pokemon to get Claw Sharpen with Purgatory. Zap Cannon was atleast decent at times because certain Pokemon get Gravity with it.

I see this as being decent in double or triples with a No Guard pokemon on the field. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that No Guards description states "All moves on the field become 100% accurate." If you get a Machamp with DynamicPunch, a Shandara with Purgatory, and a Magnezone with Zap Cannon, you could end up being pretty annoying with status...

I see this as being decent in double or triples with a No Guard pokemon on the field. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that No Guards description states "All moves on the field become 100% accurate." If you get a Machamp with DynamicPunch, a Shandara with Purgatory, and a Magnezone with Zap Cannon, you could end up being pretty annoying with status...
No Guard doesn't work like that. It only allows the moves used by the Pokemon with and the moves the are targeting it to always hit. So in a Double/Triple Battle, the only way you'd get it to always hit is by attacking Machamp with it.

Although, this gives me an idea. You could use Victini and Magnezone allong with a Dusknoir with Gravity and Dynamic Punch to do what you want. It might be a bit gimmicky, though.

Acklow, by getting it somehow, I was thinking more allong the lines of as an Event Move or through a Tutor in Grey.

breh

強いだね
Gravity sucks, don't use it.

Except for Starmie maybe.

Anyway it doesn't seem like there's much too special about this move. One thing I should point out is that Claw Sharpen is learned by Charizard and Kuitaran.

Otherwise, it just seems like a weaker, less accurate version of Fire Blast and even Heat Wave. Both moves (especially the former) out class it by far. The same does not occur for Zap Cannon because numerous users of Gravity learn it (due to being an older move; this is good as well) and partially because Paralysis is a far better side effect than Burn. Oh and 120 BP is helpful too xD

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Seems to be inferior to Fire Blast, and if you're concerned about the accuracy of Fire Blast (in which case you won't even be considering this move) then inferior to Flamethrower. The increased power, and even the chance of a burn occurring is not enough to merit having the attack miss half of the time.

However, as said, this could potentially work on Victini, but its underwhelming offensive stats in this meta and bulk that isn't enough to wall hits from the strongest physical sweepers in the tier make it rather underwhelming, even with the burn rate and such.

So yeah, doesn't seem like that great a move, to be honest.

Purgatory is essentially the Fire/burn counterpart to Zap Cannon and DynamicPunch (as some people already stated). I don't see this move getting a whole lot of use any time soon.

Well victini will be the best abuser of it really, being the bulkiest of them. Also his ability victory star raises accuracy of it and its team mates by 10% so that makes it a little more viable on him (but only a bit...)

Well victini will be the best abuser of it really, being the bulkiest of them. Also his ability victory star raises accuracy of it and its team mates by 10% so that makes it a little more viable on him (but only a bit...)
Even when you combine Victory Star with the Wide Lens, Purgatory still won't be an accurate move to use. (50 acc x 10% (Victory Star) = 55 acc x 10% (Wide Lens) = 60.5% acc) Forgive me if the calculations were off.

Yeah. No one who learns Purgatory gets any means of making it more accurate (IE, No Guard, Lock-on, etc), so basically, the only place it finds any use is on Double Battle Gravity-themed teams.

I guess there's always separate users of the move in Singles, as is mentioned with Victini, but it seems like it'd be way easier to use and way more effective in Doubles. :0

Claw Sharpen....?
After a Claw Sharpen, Purgatory will still miss 1 out of every 3 times. That's only a little more than Hypnosis and no one uses that on anything without some bulk. (Charizard and Kuitaran are the only Pokemon that get Purgatory+Claw Sharpen and they're too frail)

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
50% accuracy is shitty to say the least and giving up a slot to Claw Sharpen to raise the viability of a special move is, well, just a terrible idea.

So basically, in my view, this move is like Will-o-wisp but with less accuracy in exchange for HUGE immediate damage as well. It's a lot like Sacred Fire as well,
No it's not like either. It's like dynamicpunch and zap cannon. Only one of them are used, and that's with noguard.

No it's not like either. It's like dynamicpunch and zap cannon. Only one of them are used, and that's with noguard.
Well, Regice (possibly others?) occassionally uses Zap Cannon in conjunction with Gravity, which was why I suggested its use on Gravity-themed teams... although granted, that's probably the only way it sees any measure of use. :\

Another possibility is in Double Battles with a No Guard teammate. No Guard does the accuracy thing with the moves of all Pokemon currently in play, right?

Well, Regice (possibly others?) occassionally uses Zap Cannon in conjunction with Gravity, which was why I suggested its use on Gravity-themed teams... although granted, that's probably the only way it sees any measure of use. :\

Another possibility is in Double Battles with a No Guard teammate. No Guard does the accuracy thing with the moves of all Pokemon currently in play, right?
No Guard doesn't work like that. It would only always hit if you target Machamp with it.

It'll never be used, you need the Pokemon to have access to Gravity and be bulky for it to be even remotely considered, of which none of the above do.

If you do consider it, you'd may as well go the whole way and slap on a 1HKO move instead.

Well, it has a possibility to be used by pokemon like Victini thanks to Victory Star and Kuiratan if it has Claw Sharpen, but those are probably the only two who can effectively utilize the move.

...so basically... it's useless on anyone but Victini. :0 and even then, it's questionable. What a shame... it seemed like such a cool move too.

Although I won't be unhappy if someone can prove me wrong.

Issue with Victini is that being a sweeper ( I haven't been following its thread or anything, but it can hardly be defensive given its typing ) its main priority isn't to burn the opponent. It's to deal damage, and do so reliably. Even with a 10% accuracy increase it doesn't meet that threshold.

The point of Purgatory isn't just to burn stuff... it's mainly to cause that nasty 100 BP damage, then the burn is a nice side effect... same as Machamp's 'namicpunch. Of course, it's useless if you can't hit anything reliably with it. :0

And Victini would basically rather use Blaze Judgment, which has the same BP with 100 accuracy, and a 30% Burn chance anyway. :0

So yeah, Purgatory IS useles. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)