Purrloin (Analysis) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2] DONE

Purrloin's Analysis Skeleton
[Overview]
  • Excellent job at countering sweepers of all types, especially special sweepers
  • Can be very annoying for an opponent to beat
  • Nice early and late game playing power
  • Excellent niche in U-turn and Encore
  • Viable strategy on teams that wish to cripple opposing team with status
  • Halts shell smash sweepers in their tracks
  • Pretty bulky for a kitty cat
[SET]
name: Puddytat
move 1: Encore
move 2: U-Turn
move 3: Swagger / Thunder Wave
move 4: Foul Play / Knock Off
item: Eviolite
ability: Prankster
nature: Jolly
evs: 188 HP / 60 Def / 228 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Utilizes prankster as core theme
  • Encore and U-turn is Purrloin's niche
  • Goal of set is to encore your opponent and therefore force switches
  • Able to scout out opponent with U-turn, usually after an encore
  • This set relies on good prediction and a team that has good synergy with Purrloin
  • Defensive EVs and eviolite are on this set to give Purrloin a defensive edge in tanking attacks and thus the ability to switch in on many pokemon
  • Swagger is preferred since it deals with physical sweepers better, boosts foul play, and can't be countered by ground types other than Own Tempo Numel
  • Run foul play with swagger and knock off with thunder wave as a general rule
  • Thunder wave can be used if looking to cut speed on sweepers that normally switch out often like Mienfoo
  • Knock off can cripple common eviolite and leftovers users like Murkrow and Slowpoke
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Taunt can be used if you are looking for a reliable counter lead against entry hazard pokemon
  • Pursuit can best be placed in a set that likes to force switches or go after ghost type pokemon
  • Purrloin works well with pokemon that set up entry hazards since it forces a lot of switches
  • Purrloin works well with magic bounce Natu since it can not entirely prevent entry hazards, unless it runs taunt, while Natu can
  • Purrloin works well with sweepers that require a turn to set up, such as Tirtouga and Scraggy
  • Purrloin works well with strong psychic and flying types like Abra and Taillow respectively due to their ability to remove fighting types
  • Purrloin's primary purpose is to offset the opponent and to counter their sweepers and ghosts, so keep this in mind when designing a team
[Other Options]
  • Purrloin reaches a 17 speed, so an unburden set is not a bad idea if looking to throw off the opponent
  • Rain dance can be used with prankster Purrloin for weather interrupt or on a rain dance team
  • Trick with choice specs can be used to severely offset the opponent's sweeper pokemon and item relying pokemon with the right team support
[Checks and Counters]
  • Purrloin does not appreciate fighting types because they can usually one hit KO it with drain or dynamicpunch, so facing fighting types like Machop and Mienfoo is difficult for it
  • Scraggy and pawniard can counter Purrloin if they don't try to set up on it.
  • Megahorn Ponyta or Rhyhorn are unexpected counters for most Purrloin users
  • Sweepers like Drilbur and Abra generally don't set up, so Purrloin is not the best pokemon to counter them
  • Priority users like Cottonee can upset Purrloin's flow of battle
  • Shed skin Dratini and Scraggy can be annoying for Purrloin to deal with, and is often unable to counter them due to their status recovery
  • Natu's magic bounce causes Purrloin to fall victim to itself

Purrloin Analysis

[Overview]

<p>Purrloin is one of the most underrated and unpredictable Pokemon in all of Little Cup. With exceptional early-game and late-game viability, Purrloin can be an intimidating threat mutilating the opposing Pokemon with status moves, aided by its ability, Prankster. The opponent will have to play with the constant annoyance of having their Pokemon locked into the same move by Encore, getting confused by Swagger, and inflicted with paralysis. Sadly, Purrloin is easily checked by many Fighting-types and sweepers abundant in the metagame. However, when played right, the little feline fits into a unique niche of utilizing U-turn and Encore, making it tough to beat. With many fearsome attributes, Purrloin can be beneficial on any team, providing good support and annoying the opponent senseless.</p>

[SET]
move 2: U-turn

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set can turn the tide of battle by utilizing Purrloin's ability, Prankster. With access to both Encore and U-turn, Purrloin can scout potential switches and provide its teammates with opportunities to set up on the opponent, all while dealing additional damage with U-turn. With 17 Speed, Purrloin can be played offensively with Swagger and Foul Play or as a supporter with Thunder Wave and Knock Off. Thunder Wave cripples threats, such as Mienfoo, that frequently switch out with U-turn. On the other hand, Swagger can possibly force the opposing Pokemon to deal a large amount of damage to itself while or force switches. Either option is best used after locking a Pokemon into Encore or on a predicted switch. Knock Off cripples Pokemon that rely on Eviolite to enhance their overall bulk, allowing your team's sweepers to break through them more efficiently.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs in HP and Defense with Eviolite allow Purrloin to tank more attacks than it usually could, providing acceptable longevity.Taunt can be used in the third moveslot if you would like a reliable way to counter entry hazards. Pursuit can be used in the final moveslot if you wish to play more aggressively and have problems with Ghost-type Pokemon, namely Gastly and Drifloon.</p>

<p>Purrloin works well when entry hazards are up because of its ability to force switches. Natu is a useful teammate to Purrloin since it can prevent status and entry hazards from crippling Purrloin. Purrloin works well with setup sweepers such as Tirtouga and Scraggy as they need time to set up, something Purrloin can provide with its status moves. Strong Pokemon that deal with Fighting-types easily, such as Taillow and Abra, work well with Purrloin. Purrloin needs a team that can take hits, so bulky Pokemon, such as Misdreavus and Slowpoke, are also good teammates.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>An Unburden set may not be a bad idea on Purrloin if you're looking to throw off opponents with an unconventional sweeper. Rain Dance can be used to interrupt ongoing weather or to create a hybrid Rain Dance team. Trick with Choice Specs can be used to severely disrupt the opponent's sweepers, along with Pokemon reliant on their items.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Purrloin does not fare well against Fighting-types such as Machop and Mienfoo because they can usually OHKO it with their powerful STAB moves. Physical setup sweepers such as Scraggy and Pawniard can counter Purrloin easily; however, they need to be wary of Swagger. Purrloin will not often expect Megahorn from Ponyta or Rhyhorn, so that surprise element can be used as well. Mold Breaker Drilbur and Magic Guard Abra are excellent counters to Purrloin due to their abilities and offensive presence. Shed Skin Dratini and Scraggy can be a problem for Purrloin, but they should focus on hitting with brute strength as their primary strategy. Natu's ability, Magic Bounce, can reflect Purrloin's status moves, but Purrloin's Knock Off can be troublesome, as Natu's defenses suffer a major drop when Eviolite is removed.</p>

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
"Less weaknesses than Murkrow" is not really a good argument when you're not even running Eviolite. Electric/Ice attacks that 2HKO Murkrow will 2HKO you anyways, so there is literally no reason to run your set over Murkrow. Perhaps you should look into an Unburden set, as it is Purrloin's only real niche in this metagame. As is, this set is strictly inferior to Murkrow.

You also need to EV correctly. Here is a guide on how to do so.

I do realize that murkrow outclasses purrloin in almost every way, but the point I am trying to convey is purrloin's superior countering of ghost types and its playability as a support. Sorry if I'm not making this clear enough. I will certainly look into an unburden set, but I really don't know where to start. Let me know if you have any recommendations.

And also I forgot to mention, if you want to be bulky run eviolite please. Personaly, I think the oran berry is beter for this set, but if you feel forced to run leftovers, just run eviolite

I'll certainly consider that when revamping the skeleton. My plan as of now is to go ahead and try to improve this set as much as I can and then start work on an unburden set as iss suggested.

I do not wish to approve the listed set because Murkrow does it better in every way. I believe Purrloin is deserving of an analysis, but it has to include its unique traits over Murkrow. As such, Encore is a necessity for Purrloin, or even Trick and U-Turn (something I'm trying to make work), as Murkrow does not learn those moves. You would likely put Encore > Thunder Wave, and make Thunder Wave either a slash or something. I do not recognize the best set right now, but I just don't feel comfortable putting a set up that is 100% outclassed by a different Pokemon doing the exact same thing (same ability, more bulk, faster Foul Play, reliable healing if Roost is used, etc).

Only set we will accept, EVERYTHING ELSE in AC. Hits 17 Speed, goal is to Encore something, Swagger, Foul Play, etc. Be annoying, force switches. Encore / U-Turn is its niche, end of. Mention Taunt and Pursuit in AC, and like everything else in OO (Rain Dance, Trick Specs, Unburden, etc).

I updated the Purrloin skeleton with Blarajan's and iss's proposed changes. I also updated Checks and Counters with pertinent information.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alright, this looks good. Make sure to mention some teammates in Additional Comments (namely, stuff that can remove Fighting-types).

[qc]1/2[/qc]

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, this whole thing certainly looks a lot better now. Just a few things:

I would be a lot more general in your overview. Purrloin doesn't just counter Physical Sweepers and Shell Smashers- it counters all different types of sweepers, MAINLY special sweepers and setup sweepers, because of Encore, Swagger, and TWave. Remember, Swagger does act as a double edged sword- if your opponent does manage to hit you, you're going to be taking a lot of damage. This is why Purrloin is good at handling special sweepers, as it can avoid boosting their offensive stat.

In additional comments, quickly explain EVs, eviolite, and list some good teammates. Things that appreciate setup opportunities, suchas Shell Smashers or Dragon Dancers, pair well with Purrloin.

Checks & Counters
Your whole C&C paragraph is a bit out of whack. You seem to be explaining the uses of Purrloin in further detail- that sort of information goes in Set Comments and Additional Comments. In your C&C paragraph, you'll want to explain counters to Purrloin. Fighting-types, Shen Skin Pokemon, and priority users all work well at countering Purrloin. Natu's Magic Bounce annoys Purrloin too.

Good work so far. Add what iss said and what I've said and you'll get stamped

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Counters bulk up and dragon dance Scraggy exceptionally well
purrloin is an incredibly sketchy check to them AT BEST, since drain punch probably gets close to KOing. say that scraggy/timburr/croagunk can't set up on purrloin but purrloin literally can never switch in on them.

Prankster allows encore to hit after a move like dragon dance or swords dance, that is all i am trying to convey. It allows a chance for murkrow, vullaby, abra, to KO them. No, it is a bad idea to switch directly into them, but generally people will switch into a Purrloin with a fighting type or you have to predict a set up by the opponent.

I edited the skeleton with the recommended changes again. Any last changes? Or is it about time to move on to copyediting?

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a couple of things, again regarding your Checks and Counters paragraph:
~ "Purrloin can make sure Ferroseed doesn't set up more than one entry hazard on your team" - Remove this line entirely. It is out of place.
~ Remember, when writing, the Checks and Counters paragraph is supposed to be for other people who are not using Purrloin to read so they do know how to counter it. For that paragraph, you're writing to people that are trying to beat Purrloin, and no longer to the people that are using Purrloin. Your information is correct, just be careful on how you phrase it.

Keep that in mind when you're writing this.

QC Approved: 2/3

Nice work

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hihi! Amcheck.

For future reference, it would be best to proofread your work (If you haven't got a chance, ignore that, I don't wish to accuse you of anything), as there were many capitalization errors; the grammar itself wasn't so bad, however. Nothing much I can say beyond that; great job! :]

Additions
Removes

Scron said:
[Overview]

<p>OPurrloin is one of the most underrated and unexpredicted pable Pokemon in all of Little Cup is Purrloin. With exceptional early and late -game playing powerviability, Purrloin can be an intimidating threat after the opponent sees the kitty mutilate their favorite pPokemon by effectively turning ithem against ithemselfves with some of the besefficient status moves, (AC) which is further aided by theits ability p, (AC) Prankster. The opponent will have to play with the constant annoyance of having their pPokemon frequently trapplocked into an ethe same move by Encore stasis, getting confused frequently from Swagger, and getting cripplflicted by paralysis. Sadly, Purrloin is easily checked by many of the abundant fFighting -types and sweepers in the metagame. WHowever, when played right, however, the little feline fits into a unique niche of utilizing U-turn and eEncore that can be, (AC) making it tough to beat. With many fearsome attributes, Purrloin can be beneficial on any team looking to provide good support and annoy the opponent senseless.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set utilizes the prcankster ability to turn the tides of battle by utilizing Purrloin's ability, Prankster. With access to both eEncore and uU-turn, Purrloin can scout out potential switches orand provide its team mates opportunities to set up on the opponent, (AC) all while dealing some bonusadditional damage with uU-turn. With an effective 17 sSpeed, Purrloin can be played offensively with sSwagger and fFoul pPlay, (RC) or as a supporter with tThunder wWave and kKnock oOff. The EVs in HP/ and Defensive with EVs and eviolite allow Purrloin to tank more attacks than it usually could, providing for acceptable longevity. Thunder wWave cripples threats like, (AC) such as Mienfoo, (AC) that frequently switch out,. On the other shand, (AC) Swagger provides the optiotential to force the opposing pPokemon to potentially deal a large amounts of damage to itself, while for tocing switch outes. Either option is best used after locking a pPokemon into eEncore, (RC) or when predicting a switch. Knock oOff can cripple ps Pokemon that rely on eEviolite to renhanceive most of their overall bulk. This allows your team's sweepers to clear the enemadversary team more efficiently.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Taunt can be used overin the thunder wave and swagger ifird moveslot if you are looking for a reliable way to counter entry hazards. Pursuit can be putused in place of foul play and knock offthe final moveslot if you wish to play more aggressively and are having problems with the gGhosts-type Pokemon, (AC) namely Gastly and Drifloon. Purrloin works well when entry hazards are up, (RC) because of its ability to forces switches. Natu is a useful team mate to Purrloin since it can prevent status and entry hazards from crippling Purrloin. Purrloin works well with boostedsetup sweepers such as Tirtouga and Scraggy asince they need time to set up. Stro, something Purrloin can provide with its status moves. Strong Pokemon that deal with fFighting -types easily like, (AC) such as Taillow and Abra, (AC) work well on teams with Purrloin. Purrloin needs a durable team that can take hits, so durable pbulky Pokemon like, (AC) specifically Misdreavus and Slowpoke, (AC) are also good team mates.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>An uUnburden set may not be a bad idea on Purrloin if you're looking to throw off opponents with an unconventional sweeper. Rain dDance can be used on Purrloin for weatherto interrupt ongoing weather or onto create a hybrid rRain dDance team. Trick with cChoice sSpecs can be used to severely offset the opponent's sweeper pokemon and s, (AC) along with Pokemon relying pokemiant on with the right team support.ir items if used properly.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Purrloin does not fappreciate f well against Fighting -types because they can usually one hit OHKO it with drain punch or dynamic punchtheir powerful STAB moves, so facing fFighting -types likesuch as Machop and Mienfoo iscan be proven difficult for it. S. Physical setup sweepers likesuch as Scraggy and Pawniard that usually need to boost can counter Purrloin easily as long as; if they set up, they don't set upneed to be wary of Swagger. Purrloin users will not often not sexpect a mMegahorn from a Ponyta or Rhyhorn coming, (AC) so that surprise element can be used as well. Mold bBreaker Drilbur and mMagic gGuard Abra are excellent counters to Purrloin due to their abilities and their greatoffensive poweresence. Shed sSkin Dratinis and Scraggys can be a problem for Purrloin, but they should also be designed tofocus on hitting with brute strength as their primary focus.strategy. Natu's mability, (AC) Magic bBounce, (AC) can turnreflect Purrloin's against itselfatus moves, but Purrloin's kKnock oOff can be troublesome when it gets rid of e, (AC) as Natu's defenses suffer a major drop when Eviolite's effect. is removed.</p>
I'm providing a c/p as well, as some parts got a little messy.
[Overview]

<p>Purrloin is one of the most underrated and unpredictable Pokemon in all of Little Cup. With exceptional early and late-game viability, Purrloin can be an intimidating threat after the opponent sees the kitty mutilate their favorite Pokemon by effectively turning them against themselves with some of the efficient status moves, which is further aided by its ability, Prankster. The opponent will have to play with the constant annoyance of having their Pokemon frequently locked into the same move by Encore, getting confused frequently from Swagger, and inflicted by paralysis. Sadly, Purrloin is easily checked by many of the abundant Fighting-types and sweepers in the metagame. However, when played right, the little feline fits into a unique niche of utilizing U-turn and Encore, making it tough to beat. With many fearsome attributes, Purrloin can be beneficial on any team looking to provide good support and annoy the opponent senseless.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set can turn the tides of battle by utilizing Purrloin's ability, Prankster. With access to both Encore and U-turn, Purrloin can scout out potential switches and provide its teammates opportunities to set up on the opponent, all while dealing additional damage with U-turn. With an effective 17 Speed, Purrloin can be played offensively with Swagger and Foul Play or as a supporter with Thunder Wave and Knock Off. The EVs in HP and Defense with Eviolite allow Purrloin to tank more attacks than it usually could, providing acceptable longevity. Thunder Wave cripples threats, such as Mienfoo, that frequently switch out. On the other hand, Swagger provides the option to force the opposing Pokemon to potentially deal a large amount of damage to itself while forcing switches. Either option is best used after locking a Pokemon into Encore or when predicting a switch. Knock Off cripples Pokemon that rely on Eviolite to enhance their overall bulk. This allows your team's sweepers to clear the adversary more efficiently.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Taunt can be used in the third moveslot if you are looking for a reliable way to counter entry hazards. Pursuit can be used in the final moveslot if you wish to play more aggressively and are having problems with Ghost-type Pokemon, namely Gastly and Drifloon. Purrloin works well when entry hazards are up because of its ability to force switches. Natu is a useful teammate to Purrloin since it can prevent status and entry hazards from crippling Purrloin. Purrloin works well with setup sweepers such as Tirtouga and Scraggy as they need time to set up, something Purrloin can provide with its status moves. Strong Pokemon that deal with Fighting-types easily, such as Taillow and Abra, work well on teams with Purrloin. Purrloin needs a team that can take hits, so bulky Pokemon, specifically Misdreavus and Slowpoke, are also good teammates.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>An Unburden set may not be a bad idea on Purrloin if you're looking to throw off opponents with an unconventional sweeper. Rain Dance can be used on Purrloin to interrupt ongoing weather or to create a hybrid Rain Dance team. Trick with Choice Specs can be used to severely offset the opponent's sweepers, along with Pokemon reliant on their items if used properly.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Purrloin does not fare well against Fighting-types because they can usually OHKO it with their powerful STAB moves, so facing Fighting-types such as Machop and Mienfoo can be proven difficult. Physical setup sweepers such as Scraggy and Pawniard can counter Purrloin easily; if they set up, they need to be wary of Swagger. Purrloin will not often expect a Megahorn from a Ponyta or Rhyhorn, so that surprise element can be used as well. Mold Breaker Drilbur and Magic Guard Abra are excellent counters to Purrloin due to their abilities and their offensive presence. Shed Skin Dratini and Scraggy can be a problem for Purrloin, but they should focus on hitting with brute strength as their primary strategy. Natu's ability, Magic Bounce, can reflect Purrloin's status moves, but Purrloin's Knock Off can be troublesome, as Natu's defenses suffer a major drop when Eviolite is removed.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Purrloin is one of the most underrated and unpredictable Pokemon in all of Little Cup. With exceptional early-(dash) and late-game viability, Purrloin can be an intimidating threat after the opponent sees the kitty mutilate their favorite Pokemon by effectively turning them against themselves with some of the efficient status moves, mutilating the opposing Pokemon with status moves, which is further aided by its ability, Prankster. The opponent will have to play with the constant annoyance of having their Pokemon frequently locked into the same move by Encore, getting confused frequently from by Swagger, and inflicted by with paralysis. Sadly, Purrloin is easily checked by many of the abundant Fighting-types and sweepers abundant in the metagame. However, when played right, the little feline fits into a unique niche of utilizing U-turn and Encore, making it tough to beat. With many fearsome attributes, Purrloin can be beneficial on any team looking to ,(comma) by provide providing good support and annoying the opponent senseless.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set can turn the tides of battle by utilizing Purrloin's ability, Prankster. With access to both Encore and U-turn, Purrloin can scout out potential switches and provide its teammates with opportunities to set up on the opponent, all while dealing additional damage with U-turn. With an effective 17 Speed, Purrloin can be played offensively with Swagger and Foul Play or as a supporter with Thunder Wave and Knock Off. The EVs in HP and Defense with Eviolite allow Purrloin to tank more attacks than it usually could, providing acceptable longevity. put EV stuff in AC first para Thunder Wave cripples threats, such as Mienfoo, that frequently switch out i don't really get this sentence actually - if mienfoo frequently switches out of purrloin, how is twave supposed to even hit it? or is that not what you mean. On the other hand, Swagger provides the option to can possibly force the opposing Pokemon to potentially deal a large amount of damage to itself while forcing or force switches. Either option is best used after locking a Pokemon into Encore or when predicting a switch on a predicted switch. Knock Off cripples Pokemon that rely on Eviolite to enhance their overall bulk,(comma) This allows allowing your team's sweepers to clear the adversary break through them more efficiently.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs in HP and Defense with Eviolite allow Purrloin to tank more attacks than it usually could, providing acceptable longevity. Taunt can be used in the third moveslot if you are looking for would like a reliable way to counter entry hazards. Pursuit can be used in the final moveslot if you wish to play more aggressively and are having have problems with Ghost-type Pokemon, namely Gastly and Drifloon.</p>

<p>
Purrloin works well when entry hazards are up because of its ability to force switches. Natu is a useful teammate to Purrloin since it can prevent status and entry hazards from crippling Purrloin. Purrloin works well with setup sweepers such as Tirtouga and Scraggy as they need time to set up, something Purrloin can provide with its status moves. Strong Pokemon that deal with Fighting-types easily, such as Taillow and Abra, work well on teams with Purrloin. Purrloin needs a team that can take hits, so bulky Pokemon, specifically Misdreavus and Slowpoke, are also good teammates.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>An Unburden set may not be a bad idea on Purrloin if you're looking to throw off opponents with an unconventional sweeper. Rain Dance can be used on Purrloin to interrupt ongoing weather or to create a hybrid Rain Dance team. If used properly, Trick with Choice Specs can be used to severely offset disrupt the opponent's sweepers, along with Pokemon reliant on their items if used properly.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Purrloin does not fare well against Fighting-types such as Machop and Mienfoo, because they can usually OHKO it with their powerful STAB moves, so facing Fighting-types such as Machop and Mienfoo can be proven difficult. Physical setup sweepers such as Scraggy and Pawniard can counter Purrloin easily; if they set up, however, they need to be wary of Swagger. Purrloin will not often expect a Megahorn from a Ponyta or Rhyhorn, so that surprise element can be used as well. Mold Breaker Drilbur and Magic Guard Abra are excellent counters to Purrloin due to their abilities and their offensive presence. Shed Skin Dratini and Scraggy can be a problem for Purrloin, but they should focus on hitting with brute strength as their primary strategy. Natu's ability, Magic Bounce, can reflect Purrloin's status moves, but Purrloin's Knock Off can be troublesome, as Natu's defenses suffer a major drop when Eviolite is removed.</p>
[gp]1/2[/gp]

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Purrloin is one of the most underrated and unpredictable Pokemon in all of Little Cup. With exceptional early-game and late-game viability, Purrloin can be an intimidating threat mutilating the opposing Pokemon with status moves, aided by its ability, Prankster. The opponent will have to play with the constant annoyance of having their Pokemon locked into the same move by Encore, getting confused by Swagger, and inflicted with paralysis. Sadly, Purrloin is easily checked by many Fighting-types and sweepers abundant in the metagame. However, when played right, the little feline fits into a unique niche of utilizing U-turn and Encore, making it tough to beat. With many fearsome attributes, Purrloin can be beneficial on any team, by providing good support and annoying the opponent senseless.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set can turn the tides of battle by utilizing Purrloin's ability, Prankster. With access to both Encore and U-turn, Purrloin can scout out potential switches and provide its teammates with opportunities to set up on the opponent, all while dealing additional damage with U-turn. With an effective 17 Speed, Purrloin can be played offensively with Swagger and Foul Play or as a supporter with Thunder Wave and Knock Off. Thunder Wave cripples threats, such as Mienfoo, that frequently switch out with U-turn. On the other hand, Swagger can possibly force the opposing Pokemon to deal a large amount of damage to itself while or force switches. Either option is best used after locking a Pokemon into Encore or on a predicted switch. Knock Off cripples Pokemon that rely on Eviolite to enhance their overall bulk, allowing your team's sweepers to break through them more efficiently.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs in HP and Defense with Eviolite allow Purrloin to tank more attacks than it usually could, providing acceptable longevity.Taunt can be used in the third moveslot if you would like a reliable way to counter entry hazards. Pursuit can be used in the final moveslot if you wish to play more aggressively and have problems with Ghost-type Pokemon, namely Gastly and Drifloon.</p>

<p>Purrloin works well when entry hazards are up because of its ability to force switches. Natu is a useful teammate to Purrloin since it can prevent status and entry hazards from crippling Purrloin. Purrloin works well with setup sweepers such as Tirtouga and Scraggy as they need time to set up, something Purrloin can provide with its status moves. Strong Pokemon that deal with Fighting-types easily, such as Taillow and Abra, work well on teams with Purrloin. Purrloin needs a team that can take hits, so bulky Pokemon, such as specifically Misdreavus and Slowpoke, are also good teammates.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>An Unburden set may not be a bad idea on Purrloin if you're looking to throw off opponents with an unconventional sweeper. Rain Dance can be used on Purrloin to interrupt ongoing weather or to create a hybrid Rain Dance team. Trick with Choice Specs can be used to severely disrupt the opponent's sweepers, along with Pokemon reliant on their items.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Purrloin does not fare well against Fighting-types such as Machop and Mienfoo because they can usually OHKO it with their powerful STAB moves. Physical setup sweepers such as Scraggy and Pawniard can counter Purrloin easily; if they set up, however, they need to be wary of Swagger. Purrloin will not often expect Megahorn from Ponyta or Rhyhorn, so that surprise element can be used as well. Mold Breaker Drilbur and Magic Guard Abra are excellent counters to Purrloin due to their abilities and offensive presence. Shed Skin Dratini and Scraggy can be a problem for Purrloin, but they should focus on hitting with brute strength as their primary strategy. Natu's ability, Magic Bounce, can reflect Purrloin's status moves, but Purrloin's Knock Off can be troublesome, as Natu's defenses suffer a major drop when Eviolite is removed.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)