Putting My Foot Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen a lot of people in this thread and the original one stating that they want us to have the option of changing game mechanics in case a serious game-changing glitch arises. This is completely the wrong attitude. Firstly, whether or not something is a glitch is completely competitively irrelevant, so removing a glitch is no different than removing any other non-desirable mechanic. Secondly, if a not desirable mechanic has a serious effect on game play then we must counter this effect through clauses and not through alteration of mechanics or else we will create an impossible metagame and alienate a large part of our user base. The slight mechanics tweaks we made in gen 4 were not a big deal because they did not really change the metagame. Whether you are using mechanics altering sleep clause or wifi sleep clause the effect in almost every game is the same, you don't use sleep moves after you have put a pokemon to sleep. There may be some cases where it is different but these are not a big deal, they don't have a noticeable effect on the game. Same with acid rain, it doesn't have a big effect on the metagame. Suppose though that we discovered a mechanic such that whenever you send in a water type pokemon your opponents active pokemon faints, wifiers would be forced to disallow the use of water type pokemon and if smogon did not follow suit but instead changed this mechanic we would end up with a very different metagame and this would not be good for our community or our status in the pokemon world.

I support Phil 100% in his decision. Thank you for doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)