CAP 3 Pyroak Playtesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Pyroak is live on the CAP server!

I ran the inaugural battle against Wyverii, since she was the sprite artist. For Syclant and Revenankh, KOA got the honors. So, I thought it was only fair to do the same for Wyverii. I ran a stellar lineup of Swampert, Scizor, Quagsire, Forretress, Syclant, and Whiscash against her Pyroak team (note: all my pokes were 4x weak to Fire or Grass) to "roll out the red carpet" for our newest star.

As you can see in the screenshot, it's not a good idea to forget that Pyroak is NEUTRAL to bug attacks. Nice mistake on my part with Scizor. Anyway....

Now that the ship has been christened, feel free to begin playtesting. Remember to update your CAP sprites. Instructions are located here. Sunday has updated the CAP Strategy Pokedex with the latest info and analysis.

This thread will be the home base for all discussion related to Pyroak, now that it is able to be played on Shoddy. Post logs and battle results here as you learn more about our newest pokemon.

Have fun with it!

Bah, you do this on purpose. With Revenankh I didn't have time for shoddy until 3 or 4 days after it was released, and the same goes for Pyroak. ;_;

After testing, I'm afraid I feel like Pyroak is almost dead weight. In our obsession to make it not broken, I feel like we made it almost not good enough.

I tried the Seed, FT, Toxic, Rest set on my stall team and it was somewhat successful. Never got to use it in most of my matches, though.

It can come in on many things, but it simply doesn't wall hard enough without a better recovery.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
My apologies, Breloom, make way for the new subseeder in town!

By that I mean my team will no longer feature a Breloom.

this thing is beastly, I ran a Leech Seed, Synthisis, Fireblast and Solarbeam with sunny day support, and it can take hits like a champ. Took about 60% from a togekiss' air slash, and OHKO'd back with fireblast.

I found a new favorite ^^

Wow my first post that might make sence

leech seed can cause some nice indirect damage, as well as regain health. People also switch to get rid of it sometimes, so if stealth rock is out as well all the better.

I think pyroak is good at setting up sunny day, the only problem is that he doesn't have charge beam instead he has zap cannon. 50 Accuracy is rubbish to me he doesn't even have lock on or mind reader, which are the only two things that can make it any good imo.

And yes I know hp electric sounds like a good replacement but he also has no stat boosters which i think he needs to help him take down a few things, moves like dd you will say is making him broken, or nearly broken thats why charge beam is good for another reason there is a 50-50 chance of him getting a good boost which will not make him as broken.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
leech seed can cause some nice indirect damage, as well as regain health. People also switch to get rid of it sometimes, so if stealth rock is out as well all the better.

I think pyroak is good at setting up sunny day, the only problem is that he doesn't have charge beam instead he has zap cannon. 50 Accuracy is rubbish to me he doesn't even have lock on or mind reader, which are the only two things that can make it any good imo.

And yes I know hp electric sounds like a good replacement but he also has no stat boosters which i think he needs to help him take down a few things, moves like dd you will say is making him broken, or nearly broken thats why charge beam is good for another reason there is a 50-50 chance of him getting a good boost which will not make him as broken.
First of all its a 70% chance of getting the boost. Second of all, it would allow it to take care of almost all of it's counters and checks. Thats why it's broken. It's the same way with not giving it Physical/Special Rock moves, most of it's counters are FLYING TYPES. Not everything needs stat boosters to kill pokemon. This can sit there, Leech Seed and heal while 2HKO-3HKOing things because it's so damn bulky. Not every pokemon we make has to break the metagame to be good. Give it some time, it'll find it's niche.

First of all its a 70% chance of getting the boost. Second of all, it would allow it to take care of almost all of it's counters and checks. Thats why it's broken. It's the same way with not giving it Physical/Special Rock moves, most of it's counters are FLYING TYPES.
Why would that even matter? Super Effective Charge Beam is weaker than STAB Fire Blast on almost every Flying type and given this things abysmal speed i dont think Charge Beam would be a "broken". It's likely it would not even see much use.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why would that even matter? Super Effective Charge Beam is weaker than STAB Fire Blast on almost every Flying type and given this things abysmal speed i dont think Charge Beam would be a "broken". It's likely it would not even see much use.
Charge Beam would stop Gyarados from getting free switch-ins and walling it all day, which is just as viable as Zap Cannon on Forretress.

I wouldn't consider Gyarados the best pokemon to switch into something that can 3hko it with Grass Knot (2hko with Stealth Rock in most cases), Burn it with Lava Plume or Will O Wisp or "Sap" it's health with Leech Seed.

This thing doesnt need Charge Beam or HP Electric to stop Gyarados from setting up on it.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
^^That (@jrrrrrr) and the fact that random n00bs will spam it in an attempt to sweep with a wall. We all know what Revvy's mediocre attack can do with a bulk up, lets give an arguably bulkier pokemon access to +2 boosts! While we're at it, give it Tail Glow since this time it has a tail, and SD, and DD, and a Special equivalant of DD, and CM, and BU! [/sarcasm] This thing doesn't really need boosts to be good, it needs a little TLC, not "To BL with it!"

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Charge Beam isn't broken purely because it's Electric-typed. It's broken because we're giving something this bulky SA boosts, something it really doesn't need. It should be noted that those boosts also apply to Fire Blast.

why? Steels it hits with fire, rocks with grass, electric can mostly be taken out by fire, same with poison.

The only real reason it would need it is heatran and tentacruel, and I've been able to outstall every heatran not named specstran to death, and tenta is hurt pretty bad by solarbeam (of course not many people run solarbeam) or wood hammer.

Can we have some proper reviews of Pyroak's movesets here please?? I am away from home this week so have to use internet cafes until I can get on shoddy next week.

I'm itching to hear more bout Pyroak's abilities! Come on people -review its movesets and comment on its counters' effectiveness etc.

give it EQ it ends up broken. water, bug, ice, fire and ground all types that are neutralised by its typing, only pokemon it cant dent is heatran

First of all its a 70% chance of getting the boost. Second of all, it would allow it to take care of almost all of it's counters and checks. Thats why it's broken. It's the same way with not giving it Physical/Special Rock moves, most of it's counters are FLYING TYPES. Not everything needs stat boosters to kill pokemon. This can sit there, Leech Seed and heal while 2HKO-3HKOing things because it's so damn bulky. Not every pokemon we make has to break the metagame to be good. Give it some time, it'll find it's niche.
Hey i don't look at something and study it until it is stuck in my head like my favorite song. But i do agree with Beej on why it would make it broken

On a different note gliscor is a major counter to Pyroak, since it's ground electric won't hurt it and the flying typing will help it out with grass also ground helps it out when it comes to fire moves.

tennisace

Gliscor is scared to come in unless you're positive Pyroak doesn't have HP Ice.

True. I guess the smart thing would be is to bring something that has a electric weekness but not a grass or fire say, tentacrule, since he also has good sp. def it would be even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)