1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pyroar

Discussion in 'VGC' started by krko, Feb 21, 2014.

1. krko

krko

So someone won the Kyushu regionals with a team built around Pyroar
    http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/kan...tle-road-gloria-kyushu-1st-place-team-report/

TLDR;
    “Gotta take care of Mawile and Aegislash quickly -> use a Fire type -> Garchomp is everywhere and makes my life miserable -> a Fire type that can outspeed and smack Garchomp hard would be perfect -> PYROAR SHO STRONG“

The set:

Pyroar@Life Orb
    Nature: Timid/Modest (?)
    Ability: Moxie (?)
    EVs:4Hp/252SpA/252Spe
    • Overheat
    • HP Ice
    • Hyper Voice
    • ??
    So do you think this is good or not?
  2. TheMantyke

TheMantyke ᴵ ᶰᵉᵉᵈ ᵃ ᵐᵒᶰˢᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᶜᶫᵒᵇᵇᵉʳ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ ᴷᶦʳᵇʸ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

I think Pyroar is one of the many "has a small niche, but isn't really good to the point of fitting on a team with relative ease" Pokemon we have in the format. STAB Hyper Voice and Overheat are nice and it's interesting to read into how they were used, but Garchomp and Rotom-W are both pretty large and omnipresent problems meaning he'll need lots of support dealing with these threats. The average base defenses and iffy defensive typing (lots of resistances, but the relevant ones aren't too many and some bad weaknesses) don't help either, sadly. Still a cool Pokemon, but not something you can slap on a team and have halfway decent synergy with like Garchomp or Rotom-W.

Also, if I had to give my best guess on what set was being run, I'd have to guess:

Pyroar @ Life Orb
    Timid (it seems like getting outsped be chomp would be a death sentence)
    Unnerve
    4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
    -Overheat
    -Hyper Voice
    -Hidden Power Ice
    -Protect
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  3. Alister_Kael

Alister_Kael

I actually built a Pyroar before Bank came out (5iv took a while). The one I built was actually a mixed set meant to get a kill and then hope to sweep. Mine works occasionally but then again no set is perfect.
    Pyroar @ Life Orb/Sitrus Berry
    Rash
    Moxie
    252 Speed / 156 Atk / 100 SpAtk
    -Return
    -Wild Charge
    -Flame Charge
    -Overheat
    The idea is you try to OHKO with Overheat get the Moxie boost and try to Sweep with whatever move works for the situation.
  4. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

Pyroar actually has a pretty high BST, so I've imagined it could find some sort of niche use. It just has one of those "equally high attacking stats on both ends" stat spreads that leaves it being pretty frail defensively. Those sort of pokemon only seem to have niche use, like Infernape or Gengar, as opposed to widespread success like more bulky things.

PYROAR SHO STRONG
  5. Darkerones

Darkerones

Pyroar has terrible Attack last time I checked despite his appearance. So no it does not have equally high attacking stats like Infernape and a mixed set is really not viable in any format even with Moxie.
    In general, Pyroar is completely overshadowed by Zard Y as a Fire type in both attacking stats, and as strictly an Overheat spammer Rotom Heat overshadows it due to its better typing both offensively and defensively, better defensive stats and ability plus an arguably better movepool including Trick to abuse in VGC. Heck even something like Delphox could make more of an impact as a special attacking Fire type in VGC, having access to Heat Wave and a good boosting move in Calm Mind while still being faster than Garchomp.
  6. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

Huh, whoops. I don't know what I was thinking, nonetheless it's still fast-but-frail as stated. It's viable but fairly niche. Delphox gets wrecked switching into an Aegislash Shadow Ball and the other mons you mentioned don't outspeed Garchomp, as an example. People shouldn't be afraid of trying out these mons and seeing if they can find a good team to build around them. Anything with a 500+ BST can't be that bad.
  7. Theorymon

Theorymon ☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄☄
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Hmm, I haven't really thought about trying Pyroar. This may sound like a silly question, but have any of you tried it with say, Dark Void Smeargle? Would probably extremely weak to Safeguard Mewostic, but I'm sorta intrigued by the idea of using Unerve to totally screw over Lum and Chesto Berries. Killing off Sitrus Berry sounds neat too. I'll breed this thing, and give it a try later!
  8. TheMantyke

TheMantyke ᴵ ᶰᵉᵉᵈ ᵃ ᵐᵒᶰˢᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᶜᶫᵒᵇᵇᵉʳ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ ᴷᶦʳᵇʸ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

That sounds hilarious, but I don't think it'd be too useful considering the lack of disruptive support Pyroar has on hand to help out Smeargle and that Pyroar itself doesn't have much power behind it to compensate for Smeagle's complete lack of offenses. I think if you're going to try and pull something like that off, Amoonguss might be the better partner since it tends to lure in Grass-types that are uncomfortable around Pyroar, can shield Pyroar with Rage Powder, and has decent defensive and offensive synergy with it.
  9. Darkerones

Darkerones

Regigigas :p

But nah seriously BST isn't even close to the most important factor, just look at Breloom, Gastrodon and Ferrothorn.
  10. klvkboom

klvkboom

I've been reading around on other articles and I read about some Pyroars utilizing Rivalry to reach certain power spikes. One example is against Kangaskhans (100% female), which give a LO Overheat the possibility of OHKO (about 25% to OHKO 4/0 M-Kang, lol). It definitely sounds gimmicky, but it was enough to make a player want to have a male Garchomp to avoid this strat. Thoughts on this?

Also, I'm not sure how the mechanics work for Rivalry+Spread Moves. How would Rivalry boost Pyroar's Hyper Voice if it hits multiple Pokes with different genders?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)