[QC READY 0/3] ] Chandelure

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Ghost typing allows it to function as a spin blocker
<li>an amazing special attack stat
<li>An amazing offensive move pool to make great use of its stats
<li>not 1, but 2 viable abilities, both of which have the ability to create mind games with the opponent.
<li> when scarfed, it can act as an amazing revenge killer
<ul>

[cons]

<ul>
<li>weakness to stealth rocks limits the amount of times it can switch in and out
<li>decent bulk at best
<li>lackluster speed stat leaves it vulnerable to revenge killers
<ul>

[set recommendations]
<p>chandelure@life orb <br/>
Ability: flash fire / infiltrator <br/>
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef <br/>
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)<br />
- Shadow Ball<br / >
- Fire Blast <br / >
- Energy Ball <br / >
- Psychic / hidden power fighting/substitute<br / >

<p>Chandelure, always a threat due to its sheer special power, uses this set to take advantage of its great coverage to deal lodes of damage to anything it faces that does not flat out resist it. First and foremost with a base 80 speed stat, giving it those iv's and timid nature give it that needed boost to be effective in the meta. This speed is crucial because chandy is relatively frail especially on the physical side. Chandelure has the luxury of having 2 great abilities, forcing your opponent to predict and take risks. Flash fire give chandelure an immunity, and a boos to its fire type moves, with this ability chandelure can safely switch in on any predicted fire type move. Infiltrator is an amazing ability in its own right, allowing chandy to skip the process of breaking the sub, and allows it to immediately deal damage to the foe. Use this ability to stop unsuspecting sub boosters such as scolipede. Fire blast and Shadow ball make up Chandelures main stab options. Energy ball recieved a significant buff this gen giving it a base 90 power, allowing chandelure to 2hko most water types who think they can switch into chandelure. The last spot is usually taken up by HP fighting in gen 5 meta, but with the nerf in the new generation, i prefer giving chandy psychic to help it deal with fighting and poison types.<p>

[revenge kill chandelure]
<p> Chandelure @ Choice Scarf <br / >
Ability: Infiltrator <br / >
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef <br / >
Timid Nature <br / >
- Shadow Ball <br / >
- Fire Blast/overheat <br / >
- Energy Ball <br / >
- Psychic/ hidden power fighting <br / >

<p> This set gives chandelure a whole new role in the meta, the revenge killer. When given a choice scarf, the omnipotent chandelure raises its speed on par with a timid gegar-mega, and its already amazing special attack stat allows for chandy to not only outspeed gengar mega, but also OHKO that gengar and stop all momentum your opponent thought they had. This set will consist of a lot of switching in and out to avoid getting locked into the same move, because of this overheat becomes a viable option instead of fire blast. Infiltrator is key to this set because it allows chandy to deliver all of its power towards the actual target without having to fuss around with a pesky substitute or what have you.<p>

[specs chandy]
<p> Chandelure @ Choice specs<br / >
Ability: Infiltrator/ flash fire <br / >
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef <br / >
Timid Nature <br / >
- Shadow Ball <br / >
- Fire Blast/overheat <br / >
- Energy Ball <br / >
- Psychic/ hidden power fighting <br / >

<p>This set is meant to take advantage of the sheer power of chandelure. With a great offensive typing, being choice locked into a move does not hurt chandelure very much due to the great neutral coverage of stab shadow ball, along with the huge 145 base special attack stat. couple that with a choice specs, and boy do we have a monster on our hands. This also allows chandelure to come in and take out bulky threats with a boosted stab overheat, which will OHKO even pokes who resist it. The problems with the choice sets are that it limits the coverage of chandy, which is one of its selling points, and the need to switch in and out, which leaves chandelure vulnerable to massive rocks and spike damage.

[checks and counters]
<p> Chandelure is naturally relatively frail, especially on the physical side, with most super effective attacks ohko'ing it after hazard damage. Because of this chandelure is vulnerable to faster rock, ground and water types. Aegislash equipped with shadow sneak can also stop even the scarfed chandelure's roll with a priority SE stab. Not much can truthfully say that it can flat out wall a chandelure,but a common wall in the ou tier, blissy, is a able to do the job. Adding a breloom to a team that has chandelure will help to take care of blissey, as well as being a much safer option to bring out to face a tyranitar which boasts 2 SE stabs against chandelure and sufficient bulk to tank an energy ball and hit back with a stone edge or a crunch. Faster scarf users can also take advantage of chandelure's frailness as pretty much any non resisted stab will 2hko chandelure. To lower the amount of damage taken from hazards a spinner is highly recomended, if your looking for an offensive spinner, excadril offers great synergy with chandy,and is a great physical threat to take down the special walls that may give chandy trouble.<p>

Last edited:

OversizeD

Banned deucer.
I like this pokemon as revenge killer alot. But take in mind, eventho it outspeeds Mega Gengar... Mega Alakazam is still faster without a scarf obviously. The new ability made it even better tho :P

Good set NWT... Hope to see more of you

I like this pokemon as revenge killer alot. But take in mind, eventho it outspeeds Mega Gengar... Mega Alakazam is still faster without a scarf obviously. The new ability made it even better tho :P

Good set NWT... Hope to see more of you
Thanks, i am aware megakazam out speeds, but it's so frail that i dont think it can be a reliable counter, but if i hear from more who agree with you ill add it in for sure ;D

First some html issues. Make sure you close each one of your pros and cons with </li>. Don't space before the <li> tags and the </p> tags go right after the period.

You mention that 4 SpDef help it tank a Dark Pulse from weaker foes like Greninja which is untrue. Greninja easily OHKOs with a Life Orb dealing 120.68 - 143.29% and without a Life Orb it does 92.72 - 110.34% and is a 56% chance to OHKO. In either case Chandelure can't hope to reliably tank a Dark Pulse. With that said I would remove that line.

Heatran is currently unavailable and will be until December 25th so mentioning it in the preview isnt needed and can be removed.

Try adding in a specs set because a Specs Shadow Ball is pretty good since its largely unresisted and would be coming from Chandelure.

Mention teammates that are able to to remove Stealth Rocks and can reliably beat Blissey and Tyranitar (if you lack HP Fighting). Breloom and Excadrill are two that could be mentioned. Breloom can deal with Blissey and Tyranitar while Excadrill can spin and beat Tyranitar and Blissey.

Mention Blissey and Tyranitar under checks/counters. Since Blissey walls you for day and Tyranitar can take deal with any set if you don't have HP Fighting and will Pursuit Trap you.

Just my two cents. I'll let the QC members have their inputs as well.

First some html issues. Make sure you close each one of your pros and cons with </li>. Don't space before the <li> tags and the </p> tags go right after the period.

You mention that 4 SpDef help it tank a Dark Pulse from weaker foes like Greninja which is untrue. Greninja easily OHKOs with a Life Orb dealing 120.68 - 143.29% and without a Life Orb it does 92.72 - 110.34% and is a 56% chance to OHKO. In either case Chandelure can't hope to reliably tank a Dark Pulse. With that said I would remove that line.

Heatran is currently unavailable and will be until December 25th so mentioning it in the preview isnt needed and can be removed.

Try adding in a specs set because a Specs Shadow Ball is pretty good since its largely unresisted and would be coming from Chandelure.

Mention teammates that are able to to remove Stealth Rocks and can reliably beat Blissey and Tyranitar (if you lack HP Fighting). Breloom and Excadrill are two that could be mentioned. Breloom can deal with Blissey and Tyranitar while Excadrill can spin and beat Tyranitar and Blissey.

Mention Blissey and Tyranitar under checks/counters. Since Blissey walls you for day and Tyranitar can take deal with any set if you don't have HP Fighting and will Pursuit Trap you.

Just my two cents. I'll let the QC members have their inputs as well.

okie dokie thanks for the feedback

Is a Substitute + Pain Split set even considered? Even if Chandelure doesn't have a good bulk to really profit from Pain Split health, it's unique typing and Fire immunity gives Chandelure a special edge when switched at the wrong moment, and can make certain switched that would otherwise threaten Chandelure, fire backwards for the opponent.

Is a Substitute + Pain Split set even considered? Even if Chandelure doesn't have a good bulk to really profit from Pain Split health, it's unique typing and Fire immunity gives Chandelure a special edge when switched at the wrong moment, and can make certain switched that would otherwise threaten Chandelure, fire backwards for the opponent.
i have seen this set used before and quite frankly ive never really seen it work, i mean i guess it isnt completely out of the picture, but there are much better pokemon to do this with than chandelure in my opinion, not to mention that giving up 2 move slots would significantly lower chandy's coverage

Hey guys in gen 5 mechanics i used a great sash set with this guy, but with the addition of shadow sneak aegislash,as well as the speedy new threats in talon flame and greninja im not sure if it is viable, could i get your guy's opinions on this, when the sash come into effect its really usefull, but i find it not being a factor as much as it once was which is why i am having this conflict

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Despite Subject 18 already pointing out loads of stuff to you, you haven't edited your OP at all.

"<li> not 1, but 2 viable abilities, both of which have the ability to create mind games with the opponent."

Flash Fire should be the ability of choice for every set. I think you're over hyping just how good Infiltrator actually is. Flash Fire is the better ability on every single set, as the 50% boost on Fire type attacks is incredible for Chandelure, and most of the Pokemon Chandulure are going to be switching in on (Forretress, Blaziken, Genesect, and Ferrothorn) don't use Substitute. Remove this.

"The 4 Ev's in special defense help it tank a dark pulse from weaker foes notably greninja."

4 EVs do not allow Chandelure to tank any Dark type attacks. Remove this.

Unreleased Pokemon: As Subject 18 already stated, you need to remove any mention of Heatran or any other Pokemon that isn't released yet.

Team mates: I don't see any mention of team mates for Chandelure (expect for the 3rd set, which is good). I'd suggest adding those.

Psychic: Psychic is mentioned on every set, but I see little use for it at all. Your justification behind using Psychic is that it beats Fighting and Poison types. Generally your STAB attacks are enough to force these two types out, and running Psychic leaves you even more walled by Tyranitar, probably it's best check in OU. I'd suggest removing it for now.

First set: I generally think the first set should be using Substitute, for Chandelure's ability to easily force out Steel types, as it also prevents Chandelure from being revenge killed as easily. I suggest Substitute / Shadow Ball / Fire Blast / Pain Spilt or HP Fighting. Energy Ball does have some merit, which is why I'd give it an AC mention, but I wouldn't slash it. Add team mates.

Second set: Your second set looks good, just remove Psychic and add team mates (good team mates include Rotom-W for it's ability to switch into Water and Ground type attacks, Lucario for it's ability to beat Tyranitar and Chansey, and Forretress / Excadrill for their decent synergy with Chandelure and Rapid Spin support).

Third Set: Overall it's pretty good, but you could go with a Modest nature, since the Choice Specs set is all about power, and base 80 Timid isn't out speeding much at all. I'd slash Modest / Timid, since Timid does have some merits.

Checks & Counters section: You don't go into much detail about checks or counters, you just mention how frail it is and how fast Water, Ground, and Rock types check it. I'd mention actual Pokemon, like Starmie, Greninja, Scarf Tyranitar, Blissey, and Politoed.

Grammar standards: You really need to work on your formatting. Although I don't have perfect grammar, there's a limit to how bad grammar can be. I suggest checking this thread here for more help.

Fix these changes, and I think I'll stamp this.

Despite Subject 18 already pointing out loads of stuff to you, you haven't edited your OP at all.

"<li> not 1, but 2 viable abilities, both of which have the ability to create mind games with the opponent."

Flash Fire should be the ability of choice for every set. I think you're over hyping just how good Infiltrator actually is. Flash Fire is the better ability on every single set, as the 50% boost on Fire type attacks is incredible for Chandelure, and most of the Pokemon Chandulure are going to be switching in on (Forretress, Blaziken, Genesect, and Ferrothorn) don't use Substitute. Remove this.

"The 4 Ev's in special defense help it tank a dark pulse from weaker foes notably greninja."

Unreleased Pokemon: As Subject 18 already stated, you need to remove any mention of Heatran or any other Pokemon that isn't released yet.

Team mates: I don't see any mention of team mates for Chandelure (expect for the 3rd set, which is good). I'd suggest adding those.

Psychic: Psychic is mentioned on every set, but I see little use for it at all. Your justification behind using Psychic is that it beats Fighting and Poison types. Generally your STAB attacks are enough to force these two types out, and running Psychic leaves you even more walled by Tyranitar, probably it's best check in OU. I'd suggest removing it for now.

First set: I generally think the first set should be using Substitute, for Chandelure's ability to easily force out Steel types, as it also prevents Chandelure from being revenge killed as easily. I suggest Substitute / Shadow Ball / Fire Blast / Pain Spilt or HP Fighting. Energy Ball does have some merit, which is why I'd give it an AC mention, but I wouldn't slash it. Add team mates.

Second set: Your second set looks good, just remove Psychic and add team mates (good team mates include Rotom-W for it's ability to switch into Water and Ground type attacks, Lucario for it's ability to beat Tyranitar and Chansey, and Forretress / Excadrill for their decent synergy with Chandelure and Rapid Spin support).

Third Set: Overall it's pretty good, but you could go with a Modest nature, since the Choice Specs set is all about power, and base 80 Timid isn't out speeding much at all. I'd slash Modest / Timid, since Timid does have some merits.

Checks & Counters section: You don't go into much detail about checks or counters, you just mention how frail it is and how fast Water, Ground, and Rock types check it. I'd mention actual Pokemon, like Starmie, Greninja, Scarf Tyranitar, Blissey, and Politoed.

Grammar standards: You really need to work on your formatting. Although I don't have perfect grammar, there's a limit to how bad grammar can be. I suggest checking this thread here for more help.

I swear i went in and changed that.... i guess it didnt save ok ill make sure it gets done

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You've written the analysis on full English as if it was going to go on site soon - you should've written all your points in bullet point form in case a set needs to be changed or there is some misinformation in your content.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
rather than respond with "oh ok", why don't you go back and unwrite your analysis so that we know exactly what points you are trying to convey in a simple, concise form, so that the QC team can more appropriately respond and give their verdict?

rather than respond with "oh ok", why don't you go back and unwrite your analysis so that we know exactly what points you are trying to convey in a simple, concise form, so that the QC team can more appropriately respond and give their verdict?
i'm working on it i promise, i just have a bit less time than i had a couple days ago, will be done by the end of the day i promise

I think that what you are talking about for the first set merits its own set, because i find energyball very useful, as it allows you to pick of pokemon who think that they can set up, or throw out hazzards on you such hippowdon and DD crawdaunt

Also as far as the second set goes, Why would i take out psychic?, if your suggesting i turn it into hp fighting i would have to wonder why due to the nerf

I think i will slash in modest for the third set as i tested it and found that while there are a few less outspeeds, in general the number of ohko's is better than the outspeeds

i plan to go more in dept into checks and counters now, i guess i was pretty vague there.

Yes i know i need to work on formating, i am completely new to that and basically have just been coppying others to find out how to format, as for grammer i am ashamed i thought it was pretty good but i guess i'll type this up in word and let the computer check me thanks for all this helpfull advice

maybe its just me and maybe im ignorant of the terms used here at smogon but... isnt speed spe and not spd and special def is spD and not sdef? just makign sure before i train mine wrogn i assume its 252 spA and 252 spe since you put the 4 as "Sdef", could be me thoguh as im new to smogon... one of my first posts even sorry to be critical but i see the terms i point out used everywhere .

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unfortunately, I think that this Pokemon deserves a more capable steward, and as you have pointed out, you are new to this. Before you jump in head-first, I would suggest that you lurk longer, work on your English skills, and get your competitive knowledge a little more on par with what is expected here. Take some time to learn the ropes and get a feel for C&C, and hopefully you'll be able to contribute more effectively in the future.

This analysis is now up for reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)