1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Quagsire (Analysis) [QC 0/2]

Discussion in 'Locked / Outdated Analyses' started by Moo, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moo

Moo Professor
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Adamant Life Orb Groudon does 52.5% - 61.9% to Max Defense Unaware Quagsire.
    Against a +1 Defence Quagsire, it does 35.3% - 41.9%

You will lose if the opponent gets max damage, ar best, you will be left at 3% after Rocks, and have no choice but to spam recover until you get critted or they get max damage. Smart people will just bring in a speial sweeper and crap on Quagsire.

There is a Curse set for OU if I recall correctly, so just use that. Quagsire does not deserve a whole new Curse set for ubers, mainly because it has to max out its defence to be useful. (and not even very useful at that)

If you are still that dedicated to it, make your own analysis for that set and see what QC thinks of it :\
  2. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

In Ubers you see a lot more special attacks than physical attacks(read: Mewtwo).
  3. Koinzell

Koinzell

Actually, after the first Recover, max-min damage does not matter, Groudon needs a crit. But yeah, Quagsire is a rather mediocre check for Groudon.

As long as Quagsire force the setup sweeper out, this is a victory, the rest of the team should handle the special threats, if you are brave/desperate Quagsire can stay in and Toxik,
    For instance Mewtwo lacking Grass Knot can't OHKO Quagsire and if he does Calm Mind expecting a switch, he is the one in trouble (since LO Ice Beam 'only' does 65 % max, while you Recover)

Toxik + Curse may sound wierd, but Unaware Quagsire is not meant to sweep in Uber. And Toxik can cripple special sweepers on the switch, Yawn is also an option.

But I won't argue about that anymore, you have your opinion, I respect that.
  4. calze6

calze6

Unaware is crap. Quaggy can only take down arceus which skarm would do heaps better. Besides, the opponent can switch and the kill it. Walling kyogre is like the greatest niche. Also, Unaware ignores speed boosts. Still, it is OC mentionable.
  5. Moo

Moo Professor
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

You're entitled to your opinion too. Go ahead and make an Ubers Curse analysis if you want, I just don't think it'll go down well with QC.
  6. TheVinSire

TheVinSire

i run a spD quagsire so it can take a few special hits and still rely on its good natural bulk. it may not be able to counter groudon too well, but it makes walling kyogre even easier.
  7. Colonel M

Colonel M I don't suck it's my team that sucks!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

So QC...

What do we have to say about this derpy Pokemon?
  8. Moo

Moo Professor

Jibbles stamped it but took it away :(
    Hopefully QC will get to it when all the other pokes are sorted.

And I KNOW everyone says Gastrodon is better, but that isn't true! Quagsire has Encore (I know it isn't as good this gen but it still has it), Water Absorb (different to storm drain and can come in useful in certain situations), and the option to run Unaware. So yeah.... no one bring that up please :p
  9. Farewell

Farewell

Encore, toxic, recover, Amnesia/roar.

Have it work with unaware. Done. you boost up, ignore your opponents boosts, tank and stall with toxic. Steels, subs, taunts block this, but same with any stall set. Roar can also be used over encore.

Or

Curse/toxic, recover, amnesia/stockpile, waterfall
    252 HP/252 def/4spD

Only your boosts count, backed by kyogre For waterfall, and this way you tank and hit. Your foe cannot stat up along side you.
  10. Fireburn

Fireburn BARN ALL
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Encore (which was nerfed) and slighty better physical Defense aren't enough reasons to use Quag over Gastrodon.

Unaware also isn't very useful as Quag's main use is to counter Kyogre...without Water Absorb it can't do that.

QC REJECTED (1/2)
  11. trickroom

trickroom

Encore nerf took away Quagsire's main advantage over Gastrodon. Jibaku stamped it, then I asked him what Water Absorb Quagsire has over Gastrodon? He couldn't answer that actually, so he removed it.

I think Unaware Quagsire has some slight chance to work. It looks bad but that's Quagsire's only chance to work in Ubers with Gastrodon taking over the Kyogre counter role. Stopping SD Arceus and non LO Groudon is always cool. Although fat Dragons are free to spam Draco Meteor on Quagsire is a horrible thing in Ubers. Why not use Groudon? Quagsire can stop a +6 Arceus without dying and has Recover, Yawn and resists Fire. It also stops Bulk Up Dialga and Hone Claws Zekrom. Unaware Quagsire has some chance vs Mewtwo by spamming Recover.

EDIT: Jibaku --> I forgot about Terravolt breaking Unaware. IT still beats SD arceus.
  12. Moo

Moo Professor

Ok, I'll get rid of the old set and use the Unaware set which i have written, i just need to check the editing history
  13. Jibaku

Jibaku Not taking FS requests atm.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

@trickroom

Teravolt ignores Unaware
  14. Moo

Moo Professor

isn't that just electric attacks though?

Edit: looked it up, that kinda sucks :( So um, would an Unaware set get stamped, or would it get rejected too? I've tested it and it hasn't got much use outside of a couple of Pokemon tbh
  15. trickroom

trickroom

QC REJECTED (2/2)

Quagsire's role as a Kyogre counter is over, since Gastrodon(who isn't that good) outclasses Quagsire in that role.

Unaware just asks things to spam Draco Meteor on Quagsire and you said it didn't do well. I tried Quagsire with Unaware too and the results are horrible.

Sorry, Quagsire has to be rejected, and it was rejected earlier from the threat list anyway.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)