Not open for further replies.
Approved by aim

Q/C: KratosMana/ TDK/
GP: /

Overview
########
Pros
  • Good Physical Bulk
  • Fantastic typing in Water/Ground, giving it only one weakness and an immunity to electric
  • Reliable recovery
  • Fantastic ability in Unaware, allowing it to be a great asset against lots of Physical setup sweepers such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Pinsir, Mega Gallade, Etc.
  • Sufficient enough movepool for a defensive pokemon.
Cons
  • Poor Special Bulk
  • Relatively low stats all around, even it's physical bulk isn't nearly as high as one would want for a defensive pokemon
  • While having only one weakness, its a 4X weakness to Grass.
  • Pretty heavy taunt bait
  • Faces some competition from the other unaware user Clefable.

Swagsire
########
name: Swagsire
move 1: Scald
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Recover
move 4: Toxic
ability: Unaware
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Relaxed

Moves
========

• Scald is a must for Quagsire, it enables it to get burns off on physical sweepers while also doing a decent amount of damagej
  • Earthquake is it's secondary stab move, giving it a way to hit back pokemon such as Mega Charizard X, Heatran, Magnezone, Etc.
  • Recover (duh)
  • Toxic is a great way for Quagsire to cripple walls and physical sweepers that it can't normally do much damage to with it's normal stab moves.
  • Other negotiable moves include Ice Beam/Ice Punch, Yawn, encore, and Protect.

Set Details
========

• EV's are the Standard spread for a Physical wall. Relaxed nature is used over Impish or bold to allow Quagsire to do the most amount of damage possible with it's STAB moves and it doesn't hurt Quagsire since it's speed is already poor.
  • Leftovers is common sense
  • Unaware is used due to it giving quagsire the ability to stop common set-up sweepers.

Usage Tips
========

• Quagsire should be brought in with some care, since it's physical bulk will only protect it from so much damage.
  • Bring Quagsire in on Set-up sweepers that have already set-up and have the ability to tear your team apart.
  • If you can bring Quagsire in when they are setting up or after a pokemon has fainted.
  • Don't bother yourself trying to take on special attackers unless they are weakened or Quagsire Resists their attacks.

Team Options
========

• Grass Types (Ironically) go well with Quagsire and pair up well with Quagsire. Things like Ferrothorn, Venasaur, and Celebi make great teammates.
  • Quagsire hates status, so heal bell/Aromatherapy pokemon such as Chansey, Clefable, etc. make great teammates.
  • Special walls such as Goodra, Heatran, and Sylveon make great teammates for Quagsire.
  • Latias and Heatran are able to cover quagsire's weaknesses and vice versa making them great partners.
  • Hazard removal is crucial as entry hazards such as toxic spikes can ruin poor quagsire. Removal of stealth rock will allow Quagsire to better handle threats such as Mega Charizard x and Mega Gallade.

Other Options
########

• Encore can lock pokemon into their moves, giving quagsire a chance to escape.
  • Ice Beam can be used to hammer grass types, dragon, Landorus, and gliscor for some extra damage, but it isn't all that powerful.
  • Yawn is situational but can be effective on the right team
  • Curse is very helpful for full stall, though it leaves quagsires Special defense lacking.
  • Haze is helpful for baton pass teams and setup sweepers such as clefable.
  • Counter can have some use on a wall like Quagsire

Checks & Counters
########

• **Grass Types**: Grass types are the literal bane of poor Quagsire's existence. Venasaur, Celebi, Ferrothorn, Breloom, Etc. can all easily eliminate Quagsire
  • **Strong Special Attacks**: It doesn't always have to be a grass type. Many special attackers such as Keldeo, Gardvior, and Rotom-W can take on Quagsire easily, though they do have to worry about toxic
  • **Mega Charizard Y**: Mega Charizard Y can set up sunlight, shrug off scald, and eliminate Quagsire with a solar beam. It does have to worry about switching into a toxic and/or scald (if it isn't mega evolved yet)
  • **Taunt**: Quagsire hits reasonably hard with Earthquake and Scald, but without Recover and Toxic, Quagsire can be in a heap of trouble.
  • **Toxic**: Toxic can dwindle down Quagsire easily and Quagsire can't really do much to stop this.
  • **Mold Breaker**: Mold Breaker Pokemon such as Mega Gyarados and Excadrill can bypass Unaware and easily defeat Quagsire with their boosted stats, although Excadrill does have to watch out for an earthquake and/or scald.

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
it's a bluff
Also here are a couple moves i think can be oo worthy:
  • Safeguard(could be useful after an encore, also helpful against stall to let your other mon set up)
  • Ice Punch(idk why Beam is mentioned quag has higher atk then spa)
  • Haze: HIGHLY SITUATIONAL but helps against stored power, i dont have much hope on it tho
  • Seismic Toss: reliable damage
edit: just realised Haze helps against SD Mold Breaker exca as well, and maybe hone claws kyu-b and dd haxorus if you count them

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally I'd put Encore and Yawn in Set Details as opposed to OO since they are much more valid options than anything else there. Possibly even slash Encore with EQ since EQ isn't really all that necessary when you get down to it, it's only really useful for Heatran (you beat XZard and Magnezone anyway) and I guess breaking Subs from the likes of MGyara and MAltaria.

Also maybe mention Amnesia, pretty gimmicky but it prevents a bunch of offensive teams from breaking past it, the +2 boost as opposed to +1 from Stockpile helps against a bunch of special attackers like Landours and tauntless Gardevoir and most physical attackers can't really deal with Quagsire anyway.

Why is the first set called Swagsire if it doesn't have Swagger?
Quagsire has so much swag that he doesn't need swagger to have swag.

Personally I'd put Encore and Yawn in Set Details as opposed to OO since they are much more valid options than anything else there. Possibly even slash Encore with EQ since EQ isn't really all that necessary when you get down to it, it's only really useful for Heatran (you beat XZard and Magnezone anyway) and I guess breaking Subs from the likes of MGyara and MAltaria.

Also maybe mention Amnesia, pretty gimmicky but it prevents a bunch of offensive teams from breaking past it, the +2 boost as opposed to +1 from Stockpile helps against a bunch of special attackers like Landours and tauntless Gardevoir and most physical attackers can't really deal with Quagsire anyway.
Yea I've been using encore lately and it's proven to be pretty useful. Personally I like earthquake more because I can't stand heatran, but if Q/C decides to give it a slash, I won't complain. Same with yawn. Ill put it in moves for now. Ill also put amnesia with stockpile.

it's a bluff
Also here are a couple moves i think can be oo worthy:
  • Safeguard(could be useful after an encore, also helpful against stall to let your other mon set up)
  • Ice Punch(idk why Beam is mentioned quag has higher atk then spa)
  • Haze: HIGHLY SITUATIONAL but helps against stored power, i dont have much hope on it tho
  • Seismic Toss: reliable damage
edit: just realised Haze helps against SD Mold Breaker exca as well, and maybe hone claws kyu-b and dd haxorus if you count them
I had no idea Quagsire got seismic toss. The more you know i guess. I suppose Ice punch and ice beam can go together, haze along with safeguard i'll put in OO too.

EDIT: I realize I'll probably have to condense the OO but it's better to have all these options here now.

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Imo, expand OO as well as C&C and put in stuff like examples.

Also maybe Curse in OO? I know it's not the greatest, but it could act a bit like CM+Unaware Clefable in the sense that it uses setup sweepers such as Garchomp as setup fodder.

Last edited:

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Remove Infestation, Protect, Safeguard and Seismic Toss from other options, lol. There really isn't much reason to use those moves on the mon. Not really much else to say tbh, QC 1/3 after u fix OO

I'm probably an idiot, but how does this counter M-Pinsir? I know Unaware is a thing, but isn't Aerilate Return a 2HKO?

Just another word from a fellow bad player, you might wanna point out that Quagsire only checks non Outrage Mega Charizard X. Also Quagsire doesn't check Mega Pinsir due to neutral natured Return 2HKOing it after rocks and Mega Gallade has a good chance of 2HKOing Quagsire after rocks.

Relevant Calcs:
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 229-271 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Most Mega Charizard X are Adamant Natured)
252 Atk Mega Gallade Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 187-222 (47.4 - 56.3%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Just another word from a fellow bad player, you might wanna point out that Quagsire only checks non Outrage Mega Charizard X. Also Quagsire doesn't check Mega Pinsir due to neutral natured Return 2HKOing it after rocks and Mega Gallade has a good chance of 2HKOing Quagsire after rocks.

Relevant Calcs:
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 229-271 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Most Mega Charizard X are Adamant Natured)
252 Atk Mega Gallade Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 187-222 (47.4 - 56.3%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Ugh this is why I don't like stealth rock lolz. Alright thanks for that I'll fix that real quick. Thanks!

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Actually, most Charizard X are Jolly, not Adamant. In the team options section for 'hazard removal', mention that the removal of hazards let's Quagsire live a few hits, i.e Mega Gallade, SD Charizard X, etc.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IMO the set should be Quagmire

Anyway, in OO you mention how Haze stops setup sweepers when Quagisre already does that with Unaware. Instead of saying that, give a mention to how it screws over Mega Gyarados ('cause Mold Breaker) and Stored Power from things like Mega Latias.

IMO the set should be Quagmire

Anyway, in OO you mention how Haze stops setup sweepers when Quagisre already does that with Unaware. Instead of saying that, give a mention to how it screws over Mega Gyarados ('cause Mold Breaker) and Stored Power from things like Mega Latias.
Man sometimes I feel like an idiot. Thanks for the correction!

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
mention curse in OO and remove Stockpile. make sure to say that curse gives full stall another win condition which can be crucial. Haze isn't for Mega Gyara, it's really only for Baton Pass, although it could be useful when dealing with prominent setup sweepers like Clefable, as it eases your ability to handle them.

2/3 sorry for the wait havokchomp123

mention curse in OO and remove Stockpile. make sure to say that curse gives full stall another win condition which can be crucial. Haze isn't for Mega Gyara, it's really only for Baton Pass, although it could be useful when dealing with prominent setup sweepers like Clefable, as it eases your ability to handle them.

2/3 sorry for the wait havokchomp123
Implemented the changes. Thanks for the check.
Ill write up this analysis soon, but... I... can't.... stop..... playing......splatoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)