1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Quagsire

Discussion in 'Uploaded Analyses' started by Jellicent, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Jellicent

Jellicent ~the spirit who loves spirits~
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

[​IMG]
    Don't have HP Grass...don't have HP Grass...Fuck!

QC Approved: tennisace, Ice-eyes, Zebraiken
    GP Approved: NoBlue (over Orcinus Duo), Komodo

<p>Quagsire is an exceptional defensive Pokemon. His great typing provideshim with four resistances, an immunity to Electric-type moves, and a lone weakness to Grass-type moves. Quagsire has two excellent abilitiesavailable to it: Unaware allows him to shut down setup sweepers and stall, while Water Absorb gives him immunity to Water-type moves, and helps patch up any Water-type weakness your team might have. In addition, Water Absorb can restore 25% of its health if it switches into a corresponding attack. His support movepool, which includes Recover, Toxic, and Haze, combined with excellent bulk, is exactly what he needs to effectively wall most threats. As long as he stays far away from Grass-type attacks, Quagsire will be a constant hindrance to your opponent's momentum.</p>

[SET]
    name: Physical Wall
    move 1: Recover
    move 2: Scald
    move 3: Toxic
    move 4: Earthquake
    item: Leftovers
    ability: Unaware
    nature: Relaxed
    evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set
    gives Quagsire the ability to take on most physical attackers in the metagame, providing they lack a Grass-type move. Thanks to Unaware, this loveable dolt simply ignores any stat boosts your opponent might have obtained, restores any damage with Recover, and proceeds to poison the foe with Toxic, consistently healing up as they slowly perish. Scald is usually his attack of choice, as the 30% burn rate cripples physical attackers for the entire match. Earthquake is a great secondary STAB move, allowing him to dish out a decent amount of direct damage alongside the residual damage Quagsire is known for. It also hits Steel-types that are immune to Toxic.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs maximize Quagsire's physical bulk, helping him tank physical attacks thrown his way. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense, though powerful special sweepers can still punch holes through our harebrained hero. A Relaxed nature maximizes Quagsire's Defense while lowering his Speed, as his defenses and offenses are all more important than his already abysmal Speed. Leftovers is the standard item for any fully evolved wall, and Quagsire is certainly no exception.</p>

<p>Entry hazards, especially Toxic Spikes, limit Quagsire's ability to easily switch in and stall, so it is highly advisable to partner him with a Rapid Spin user. However, due to NU's shortage of good Rapid Spin users, a grounded Poison-type , such as Amoonguss, is an acceptable alternative to absorb Toxic Spikes. Audino can use Heal Bell to cure any status inflicted on Quagsire, and easily sponges special assaults launched at him. Finally, it is imperative to eliminate Grass-types if you want Quagsire to breathe easily. Magmortar, Emboar, and Swellow are among the best choices for this task.</p>

[SET]
    name: Curse
    move 1: Curse
    move 2: Recover
    move 3: Earthquake
    move 4: Waterfall / Ice Punch
    item: Leftovers
    ability: Unaware
    nature: Careful
    evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Though Quagsire's ability, Unaware, implies that he is too unwitting to set up, he is surprisingly good at it. Curse boosts his Attack and Defense, allowing him to continue tanking hits as usual while preparing a counter-offensive of his own. The instant recuperation of Recover makes repeatedly setting up Curses easy. Earthquake is his strongest physical STAB option. Waterfall is a solid secondary STAB move that provides good coverage, though Ice Punch is also an option to hit incoming Grass-types. That said, when using Curse Quagsire, it is wise to eliminate any Grass-types prior to setting up, even with the inclusion of Ice Punch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs and nature beef up Quagsire's Special Defense, as Curse will quickly boost his Defense to formidable levels. Leftovers aid Quagsire in tanking hits while he sets up and sweeps. Stone Edge is also an option in the final slot if you prefer extra type coverage, but it sacrifices accuracy and doesn't receive a STAB boost. With Stone Edge and Earthquake, Quagsire is only walled by Torterra, who shuts him down anyway unless he carries Ice Punch.</p>

<p>As stated before, clearing out Grass-types before setting up is a savvy decision. Magmortar, Emboar, and Swellow are all professionals in this field. Water Absorb Mantine is immune to both of Quagsire's STAB attacks, so a physically attacking Electric-type, such as Eelektross or Luxray, is also a useful partner. A Rapid Spin user or grounded Poison-type is highly recommended, as Toxic Spikes obliterate any hope Quagsire has for successfully sweeping. Amoonguss is a prime candidate for this role, as it counters opposing Quagsire that ignore your own Quagsire's stat boosts, while threatening him with Toxic.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Rain Dance is definitely a viable option for Quagsire. He is bulky enough to consistently set it up throughout the match, and can take advantage of rain boosting his STAB Waterfall. Hail is another weather that he can set up, but Quagsire is not fond of the residual damage it inflicts on him. Stockpile is useful for boosting his defenses, but there is little for him to do after setting up, aside from spreading Toxic and praying the opponent doesn't score a critical hit. Water Absorb is a fantastic ability, especially if Water-types plague your team, but Unaware is usually preferred. Haze can dismiss any stat boosts your opponent sets up, and Quagsire can easily pull it off as he fears little from boosted sweepers. Yawn is an option to force switches or put a Pokemon to sleep, but Quagsire prefers the residual damage that poison or burn induces. Swagger confuses your opponent while Quagsire remains comically unaware of the stat boost he just caused. Finally, a RestTalk set with Curse and Waterfall is an option, as it helps Quagsire get past his Toxic issues. However, Recover is a much more consistent healing move than Rest.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Most Grass-types could be considered counters to Quagsire
    : they resist both of his STABs while preying upon his only crippling weakness. Residual damage, especially from Toxic poisoning, can quickly chip away at his walling capabilities. Amoonguss is a wonderful counter to Quagsire: it has STAB Grass-type attacks, is immune to Toxic, preys on his weaker Special Defense, and can either put him to sleep with Spore or nullify his Curse boosts with Clear Smog. Amusingly enough, physically defensive Quagsire is one of the best counters to the Curse set. It brushes off his stat boosts, outspeedshim, and cripples him with Toxic. Most sun teams seem custom built to shut him down, as they tend to have powerful Grass-type sweepers and weaken his STAB Water-type attacks with the weather.</p>
  2. tennisace

tennisace another eggnog, please
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Social Media Chief

3. jrrrrrrr

jrrrrrrr wubwubwub
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Ice Beam deserves a mention to hit Grassers on the switchin. It also prevents Altaria from walling you. You dismiss RestTalk in the OO section but you spent the whole analysis talking about how much Quagsire hates getting Poisoned.

RestTalk Curse + Waterfall is a pretty damn good mono attacker once the opposing Roselia is cleared. I haven't tried it in NU yet but in UU it worked really well for me. Probably OO material.

Also, Quagsire counters itself with either ability and Toxic, you should mention that.
  4. breh

breh ⁰ ゝ⁰
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributor

I really think water absorb deserves more mention. I'm almost tempted to say that the number of setup mons in NU is nowhere near the amount of rain that will exist after slowking/lanturn leave. being able to wall rain teams very well is a good thing.
  5. Ice-eyes

Ice-eyes Simper Fi

Looks good. Stone Edge should be AC on the Curse set though, it's really pretty bad. I'd rather see Ice Punch mentioned for hitting incoming Grasses, especially Torterra and Roselia.

[​IMG]
  6. Cherub Agent

Cherub Agent how lonely is the night without the howl of the wolf
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I wouldn't even mention that Quagsire can set up Hail. It's useless if it's not permanent
  7. Zebraiken

Zebraiken GANONBOARF
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    NU Co-Leader

i agree, though this will probably be more relevant post-shifts when that stuff does happen. til then;

QC APPROVED (3/3)
  8. Jellicent

is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

Everybody's favorite derper is ready for GP checks.
  9. Orcinus Duo

Orcinus Duo

um

I am unaware of any other checkers doing this so

hi
  10. Endorfins

Endorfins Your Worst Nightmare
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Roselia has gone to bigger and better things in RU so maybe replace Roseia mentions with something like Amoonguss
  11. Jellicent

Ruiner of Alph

:evan:

Fixed...
  12. Orcinus Duo

Orcinus Duo

I AM HERE
    to do stuff
  13. Orcinus Duo

Orcinus Duo

still proofreading
    and done?

this was nice.

14. November Blue

November Blue NO YOUTUBE, I DO NOT WANT TO WATCH VIDEOS AT MAX VOLUME!!
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Working on top of Orcinus Duo's check.

Edits in Green. Removals in pink.

Orcinus Duo's Check (open)

[​IMG]

GP Approved 1/2
  15. Jellicent

Ruiner of Alph

Thanks NoBlue and Orc ^.^

I implemented those changes, with 2 exceptions: "spinner" is actually the preferred term over "Rapid Spinner", though "Rapid Spin user" is also acceptable; I kept unaware uncapped in the 3rd to last sentence of OO, since I wasn't actually saying the ability itself.

Next GPer, have at me!
  16. Orcinus Duo

Orcinus Duo

I would also like to mention that I carry HP grass on magmortar just for this thing now

Also, can we change "Setting up, besides" to "setting up, aside from"

I'm not sure why but noblue's comma makes this feel a bit awkward

Also, change to "all physical attackers in the metagame that lack Grass-type moves"
  17. Jellicent

Ruiner of Alph

Did you not see the link at the top? Don't have HP Grass!

Also, thanks, I edited in those nitpicks.
  18. Komodo

Komodo I have a custom title?
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Show Hide

You know what colours I use for what. Let's get this done Jelli :)

[​IMG]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)