Revenankh (QC: 2/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QC: 2/2
GP: 0/1

Overview
########
+ Unresisted STAB combo. While the type chart got shaken up in GEN VI, there’s still nothing that resists Ghost/Fighting.
+ Hard to KO. Rev has great natural bulk, at 90/90/110, and has access to both recovery moves and Drain Punch.
+ Solid Attack. 105 isn’t devastating in a post-Mega world, but Rev can still give as good as it gets.
+ Shed Skin. With a little luck, Revenankh gains a functional status immunity, making it extremely hard to wear down.
+ Arguably the best Bulk Up user around.
- Slow. While not the bottom of the tier, it’s not beating much in a footrace.
- Reliant on low BP moves. Rev leans on the 75 BP Drain Punch and the 40 BP Shadow Sneak, severely limiting its damage output.
- Depends on boosting moves. If not given the opportunity to set up, it can be deadweight.

BULK UP
########
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Shadow Sneak
move 4: Moonlight/Rest/Earthquake/Ice Punch
ability: Shed Skin
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
nature: Careful

Moves
========
- The set’s called Bulk Up for a reason: Rev’s one of its best users: bulky, able to shrug off status, with access to both priority and reliable recovery.
- Drain Punch is your main attacking move, providing both solid damage and good HP recovery.
- Shadow Sneak fills out the other half of the unresisted STAB combo, and with a couple of boosts is your best tool for picking off opponents. It’s also just a handy priority move, getting a SE hit on a number of otherwise deadly sweepers.
- Last move slot depends on your needs and style. Moonlight is Rev’s most reliable recovery option, and makes it easier to stockpile boosts. Rest is more of a gamble, banking on Shed Skin to kick in and shorten your sleep timer. However, it provides full recovery, and with a little luck can be impossible to bring down.
- Ice Punch is your best coverage option in the last slot. It hits Fliers that resist Drain Punch for solid damage, as well as scoring a SE hit on Cyclohm and Lando. Earthquake is a bit more niche, picking off Mollux and Mawile, but can come in handy.

Set Details
========
- Max Bulk makes it easier for Revenankh to switch in and start boosting. With SpD investment and a couple of Def. boosts, it becomes near-impossible to bring down.
- Does double duty as a Special Tank in a pinch, especially when using a recovery move in your fourth slot.
- Lefties make Rev harder to KO than it already is.
- Bulky Attacker (252 HP / 252 Atk) is a distant second option for this set. The extra damage seems appealing, but it doesn’t net any particular KOs, and the lack of SpD makes it harder for Rev to get boosts in.

Usage Tips
========
- Boost, boost, boost. Rev simply doesn’t have the stats for raw attacks, but with a boost or three it becomes a nightmare for unprepared teams, easily capable of KOing multiple opponents.
- Boosts also make it much more difficult for Revenankh to be revenged. Of particular note: Talonflame and M-Pinsir. +2 Def allows you to tank any unboosted attack they can throw at full health.
- Chansey is ideal set-up bait, as is Krillowatt: with SpD you can tank any move either carries, and that high Base HP provides GREAT healing via Drain Punch.
- Should you run it, you will be tempted to Ice Punch Tomohawk. This is unwise.

Team Options
========
- Stealth Rock make Rev’s life significantly easier, damaging the various Flying types that otherwise cause problems, and chipping away at threats to put them in Shadow Sneak range.
- Steel types, particularly Heatran and Scizor, can help patch Rev’s weakness to bulky fairies, and have some synergy with his Fighting immunity.
- Gothitelle. Tomohawk is Revenankh’s worst nightmare, and Goth is one of the best Tomo snipers around.
- Skarmory is a great partner, able to take hits on Rev’s weaker defense, and countering Flyspam that is otherwise problematic.
- Colossoil has good typing synergy, and can hit just as hard as Rev can, forming a reasonable attacking core.

Other Options
########
- Shadow Claw. Works as a tonic to Shadow Sneak’s low BP. While Rev misses priority, the upped damage output helps against some otherwise lethal threats.
- Hammer Arm. Similar to Shadow Claw, offers a higher-BP option than Drain Punch. Rev’s slow enough to not mind the speed drops, but the lack of recovery is a challenge.
- Knock Off. Everything that gets Knock Off should consider running Knock Off. Overall it’s somewhat redundant, coverage-wise, with Shadow Sneak, and while the utility is useful, it's generally not worth losing your main priority attack.
- Power Whip. Offers decent coverage against Water types like Krill or the odd Rotom-W, but outside of niche teams, is less useful than Reve’s standard moves.
- Sucker Punch. Actually stronger than STAB Shadow Sneak, but more vulnerable to non-attacking shenanigans - Sub, boosting, and WoW.
- Taunt. Extremely niche, but has some utility beating Phazers.
- Glare. Can be used to manage Rev’s low speed, but overall other mons spread Paralysis better.

Checks & Counters
########
- Tomohawk. Hazehawk blows away boosts, ReflectHawk can shrug off damage like it’s nothing, and generally Tomo can hit a solid 3-4HKO with Air Slash. Ice Punch seems like it'd help, but without STAB and in the face of priority Roost it simply doesn't do enough damage.
- Skarmory and Cyclohm. Both tank Revenankh’s raw attacks with ease, and can use Whirlwind/Roar to wreck its set up.
- Unaware users, specifically Clefable and Arghonaut. Both can set up in Rev’s face, and take any attack he carries without trouble.
- Bulky fairies in general are tough for Reve to break without accumulating a lot of boosts. Togekiss, Sylveon, and Azumarill all resist DP and can do heavy damage in return.
- Fast, Strong Special Attackers with Fighting resists. While Rev can usually tank a hit, dedicated wall-breakers like Lando, Aurumoth, M-Zard Y, and M-Garde can generally overwhelm its recovery and take it down.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well, this thread has been open for a month, and there are absolutely no comments. Why? Because this analysis is pretty much spot on, in my opinion. Great job pepsi.

QC: 1/2

Thanks Heal, I guess I'll go ahead and tweak the topic title then. If anyone can think of major changes I'm happy to add them, but Rev really does kind of only have one trick (that said, it's a good one).

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I really don't think that assault vest should be listed in OO. It has great recovery moves and was designed to be a Bulk Up mon, so AVing it removes it's only good point lol

I guess, upon rereading, my AV note essentially reads "Well, you could put an AV on it, but something else does the exact same thing way better"....which is hardly a glowing recommendation. Exactly the opposite, in fact. I guess I was simply hesitant to only include one 'archetype', as it were, for Revenankh. Then again, when you set out to build the perfect Bulk Up 'mon, I suppose that's the result you're hoping for.

QueenOfLuvdiscs, consider AV dropped.

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I guess, upon rereading, my AV note essentially reads "Well, you could put an AV on it, but something else does the exact same thing way better"....which is hardly a glowing recommendation. Exactly the opposite, in fact. I guess I was simply hesitant to only include one 'archetype', as it were, for Revenankh. Then again, when you set out to build the perfect Bulk Up 'mon, I suppose that's the result you're hoping for.

QueenOfLuvdiscs, consider AV dropped.
And with that, (QC 2/2)

Looks great, very well done Pepsi. Since you have 2 QC, this is ready to be written in paragraph form. Afterwards, it'll be ready for a final QC and GP checks. I'll quickly mention that the Checks and Counters should be listed in this format:

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types can easily switch into Seel thanks to their Water resistance. Ferroseed works particularly well because it can punish Seel's contact moves with Iron Barbs, and it only takes neutral damage from Icicle Spear. Cottonee can lock Seel into a non-threatening move with Encore, but should be wary of switching in on Icicle Spear.

**Electric-types**: While they have trouble switching into Seel's attacks, most notably Drill Run, Electric-types such as Magnemite, Elekid, and Chinchou threaten Seel with their STAB moves and can Volt Switch out of the Perish Trapper set.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Looks great, very well done Pepsi. Since you have 2 QC, this is ready to be written in paragraph form. Afterwards, it'll be ready for a final QC and GP checks. I'll quickly mention that the Checks and Counters should be listed in this format:

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types can easily switch into Seel thanks to their Water resistance. Ferroseed works particularly well because it can punish Seel's contact moves with Iron Barbs, and it only takes neutral damage from Icicle Spear. Cottonee can lock Seel into a non-threatening move with Encore, but should be wary of switching in on Icicle Spear.

**Electric-types**: While they have trouble switching into Seel's attacks, most notably Drill Run, Electric-types such as Magnemite, Elekid, and Chinchou threaten Seel with their STAB moves and can Volt Switch out of the Perish Trapper set.
I can't believe it took us almost 2 weeks to notice this, but I think you posted this in the wrong thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)