1. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Questions about bans

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by kj979, May 10, 2013.

1. kj979

kj979

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about bans. I was banned, for reasons that I now realize. (I didn't realize that the rules about not being stupid or wasting chat space applied to in-battle chat as well as the lobby chat.)

Are bans permanent? If not, how can I find out how long I was banned?

Just to confirm, when banned, you will get the "disconnected from server" error, right? I wasn't actually given any notice that I was banned. (However, I do know that I was now, since a person in the battle took a screenshot of the situation.)

Is there any way to get unbanned if you were breaking the rules? The ban appeal subforum says not to post if you were breaking the rules. (I wasn't given a warning, which I personally consider unfair, considering I've never gotten a warning before.)

Thank you for reading,

kj979
  2. Subject 18

Subject 18 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

Take this in the Discipline Appeals subforum here.
  3. kj979

kj979

I thought that it would be better here, since I had broken the rules, and since most of my questions weren't about being appealed. Are you sure I should post there?
  4. MikeDecIsHere

MikeDecIsHere And the haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate.
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Bans are removed after the server resets. Just wait a few days, and you'll be fine.
  5. kj979

kj979

So this means bans are basically meant to just discourage people who don't actually play, who just spam, troll, post shock sites, etc.?
  6. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Yeah that sounds about right
  7. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

Rules are much more lenient in battle chat than in the lobby chat. Outright spam is still discouraged, but those should at worst result in a mute.

I can't tell whether your ban was deserved from what you've said so far, but I encourage you to provide details if you think it wasn't. As long as you weren't actively harrassing the other player, that generally shouldn't result in a ban.

Bans last until server restart (generally every few days) or until you win a ban appeal.

Yes, that's correct.

It doesn't sound like you were necessarily breaking the rules. I'd recommend posting the battle log to Discipline Appeals.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)