Quilladin [QC 1/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overview
########
• Has decent Defense, gets bulkier with Eviolite
• Access to entry hazards and Leech Seed.
• Solid recovery with Synthesis
• Ability gives him good immunities. Also immune to Sleep Powder and Leech Seed due to his Grass-type
• His Grass-type gives him an immunity to Sleep Powder and Leech Seed, while also checking mon's such as Barbaracle and Carracosta
• However, his Grass-type also makes him weak to the common Fire-, Flying-, and Ice-types
• Bad Special Defense and HP
• Doesn't get STAB from Fighting moves
• Won't be outspeeding anything soon
• Weak to a lot of offensive moves.

MINI-JUGGERNAUGHT
########
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Roar
move 3: Synthesis / Leech Seed
move 4: Seed Bomb
ability: Bulletproof
item: Eviolite
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
nature: Impish

Moves
========
• Spikes great for stacking and wreaking havoc.
• Leech Seed gives Quilladin good means of wearing the opponent down and recovering in the process.
• Synthesis also great to stall out opposing team and keep Quilladin in the game as long as possible.
• Roar can be used to rack up residual damage with Spikes.
• Seed Bomb is a reliable STAB with no recoil.

Set Details
========
• Max EV's in HP and Defense make Quilladin an excellent physical tank with Eviolite.
• Bulletproof blocks Roselia and Tangela from using Sludge Bomb. Bulletproof also protects it almost completely from Haunter (immune to Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, and again Sludge Bomb).
• An Impish nature makes Quilladin's defenses rival that of its evolution.

Usage Tips
========
• Makes a great hazard lead, but should be very wary of Taunt users.
• Try to predict switches to get as many Spikes up as possible.
• Leech Seed should be used first to ensure Quilladin's longevity. It will wear down the opponent and prevent pokes from setting up on it like Ninetails. Although if the opponent has a Grass-type, it will go in for the obvious switch to nullify Leech Seed. In that case, use Spikes.
• Quilladin is a great switch-in to offensive attackers due to its great defense such as Barbaracle.

Team Options
========
• Ground- or Rock-types such as Piloswine and Golem can set up Stealth Rock for even more support. Also Rock-types such as Barcaracle can take out the Flying-, Fire-, and Ice-types that threaten Quilladin.
• Fast sweepers (Tauros, Ninetails) or Whirlwind-esque move users (Throh) to take full advantage of Spikes.
• Electric-types such as Raichu are useful for taking out most of the tier's Defog users as well as removing pesky flying-types as well.
• Spin blockers like Haunter, Misdreavus, and Gourgeist make a great team addition so you don't lose the Spikes.

Other Options
########
• Bulk Up could be used as a boosting set, but it leaves him as set-up fodder, prone to status, and easily revenge-killed.
• Body Slam could be useful as 30% is always 100% (not literally but you get my point). That makes the player more scared to use speedy 'mons as they are severely crippled by paralysis.
• Super Fang could be used to deal good damage when the opponent has high HP, and works well in tandem with Leech Seed. However this leaves you wide open to taunting Ghost-Types. Especially Gourgeist.
• Toxic is worth a mention, but because Quilladin doesn't get Spiky Shield, he might as well just use Leech Seed.
• Taunt could be used to prevent other hazard leads from setting up, but Quilladin is slow as bricks and he could just get taunted himself.

Checks & Counters
########
**Flying Types/Defog Users** Quilladin has a very hard time taking out Flying-types due to being super-effected by them and having his entry hazards removed by Defog. Such examples are Pelipper, Chatot, and Swanna.

**Avalugg** This guy shuts down Spikes Quilladin completely. Recover can outlast synthesis, Avalanche can 2HKO defensive Quilladin, Avalugg can just Rapid Spin away Spikes, and Quilladin's strongest move, Wood Hammer, can only do 15% on defensive Avalugg.

**Grass-Types** They're immune to Leech Seed, resist Quilladin's STAB, can set up Spikes on their own (Roselia) or can cripple Quilladin with Toxic. Keep in mind that Sludge Bomb doesn't work, though. Gourgeist also shuts down Quilladin with burn.

**Fire Types** Powerhouse Fire-types such as Flareon and Ninetails completely wreck Quilladin. Choice Band Flareon is almost a guaranteed OHKO with Flare Blitz and Fire Blast OHKO's with Ninetails.

**Taunt / Encore** Mon's such a Misdreavus can force Quilladin into a useless move, or prevent it from getting valuable HP from recovery.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I honestly don't see the use of the second set. Quilladin role should only be as a physical wall, there are so many better boosting sweepers. All the moves in that set should be moved to OO.
Also, usage tips should not be steps, just general points.

I honestly don't see the use of the second set. Quilladin role should only be as a physical wall, there are so many better boosting sweepers. All the moves in that set should be moved to OO.
Also, usage tips should not be steps, just general points.
I dunno. I just felt that having at least 2 sets would give some variety. Sure, he's probably not the best for the 2nd set, but it's nice to give people some options rather than just a singular set to use. Is the boosting set inferior to the hazard set? Of course. Just as you wouldn't run special attacking Basculin over physical attacking Basculin (one of my analysis btw.....shameless self-plug). The point is I'm giving variety for people who want to use the mon analyzed, but already have their "niche" filled with another team member.

Also the steps for usage for (a vain attempt of) comic relief. I'll fix it , though.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I dunno. I just felt that having at least 2 sets would give some variety. Sure, he's probably not the best for the 2nd set, but it's nice to give people some options rather than just a singular set to use. Is the boosting set inferior to the hazard set? Of course. Just as you wouldn't run special attacking Basculin over physical attacking Basculin (one of my analysis btw.....shameless self-plug). The point is I'm giving variety for people who want to use the mon analyzed, but already have their "niche" filled with another team member.

Also the steps for usage for (a vain attempt of) comic relief. I'll fix it , though.
You want to give the most viable options a set, if they arent very good they can get a mention in oo, but an entire set is only if its viable. Idk how viable the second set is, but it doesnt seem to great to me, I would say remove it unless a QC member has tested it and says its good.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have tried a bulk up set myself, and all i can say is that it isnt very good. Firstly, it has a bad moveset, a restalk set gets beaten by anything that resists grass whilst synthesis isnt really reliable + doesnt really have good coverage to go with grass. Secondly, but mainly, it is so easy to revenge kill due to poor special defense and a bad defensive typing allowing it to be revenge kill'd by shit like swanna/heatmor/etc. It just isnt viable.

Take out the boosting from overview, as they arent viable, also add in its niche as a grass type (why you would use it over torterra/roselia/tangela). Seed bomb should really be the only attack, wood hammer wares you down a bit and body slam is piss weak. I also feel roar should be on its own and maybe slash leech seed with synthesis (or even remove seed), as qualidian is set up fodder for a lot of stuff, bouffalant, klang, scyther, you definitely need roar. In set details with bullet proof, mention haunter instead of tangela.

In usage tips, remove the last point, also mention that qualidian can switch into physical threats such as barbaracle. In team options maybe mention something about a spin blocker, as its main niche is to set up spikes, also add something to do with rock types saying how they can beat flying/poison/fire/bug types, whilst quil can beat water types, also rock types can set up rocks to pair with spikes.

Also add sap sipper pokes to c&c, gourgeist should be under grass types, and dont mention serperior as examples of glare/toxic.

Im not qc, just advice

Ok. I'll definitely put Roar on its own. I guess I'll remove the boosting set and maybe put it under Other Options. I already mentioned using rocks with spikes to work well. A spin blocker on a team sounds sound. I'll definitely add that.

Quilladin works well with Leech Seed. It just matters imo whether the player prefers that over synthesis.

Also because of Quilladin's piss-poor attack, I feel that Wood Hammer would give him an edge up.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Woodhammer should be the only slash for that exact reason, piss poor attack. Also remove mentions of Seed Bomb and Body Slam from moves, they arent that good, Quilladin wants the power tbh.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bug Catcher Will
Seed bomb>Wood hammer, as it doesnt have leftovers, meaning it cannot easily recover lost health
In TO, mention pokes that cover its relevant weaknesses (eg water-types, such as x, can take fire attacks)
And in c&c mention specific examples

Anty

let's drop
The overview doesnt really say much about the poke someone cannot find by serebii. You should expand more, for example:
'• Grass-Typing'
That doesnt say much, while:
'• Quilladin's Grass-Typing allows it to check threatening Pokemon such as Carracosta and Barbaracle, but also burdens it with a weakness to three common types; Fire, Ice, and Flying'
The latter tells you how the poke does in the PU metagame

Otherwise the analysis looks good, just a couple nitpicky comments:
The moves mentioned in moves should be in order listed on the set

Set Details
========
'• Bulletproof blocks Roselia and Tangela from using Sludge Bomb as well as prevents Sleep Powder and Leech Seed with Grass typing. Bulletproof also protects it almost completely from Haunter (immune to Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, and again Sludge Bomb).'
The bolded bit has nothing to do with bulletproof so should be removed

Usage Tips
========
'• Leech Seed should be used first to ensure Quilladin's longevity.'
Mention that this wears the oppenent down and prevents pokes trying to switch in to force out and set up on it (eg ninetales)

Team Options
========
You need to mention pokes that complement its weaknesses, eg rock types beat fire and flyings, etc

Bug Catcher Will

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've only used Quilladin a little bit, but I do see some basic things that need to be done.

Overview
########
- Looking this over, I actually don't learn too much about Quilladin's role in the metagame. Rather than talk about its bulk and tying, how about more info regarding what it checks and counters, why it is used on your team over other Grass-types, and the cost of using it over them.

MINI-JUGGERNAUGHT
########
- unnecessary set name is unnecessary, especially considering Quilladin isn't even that common enough to garner a nickname. You are also missing the name: tag.

Usage Tips
========
- I wouldn't suggest it as a lead, Quilladin is usable outside the lead slot too.
- I wouldn't say use Leech Seed first, especially when it isn't even the main slash. Hell, I would rather slash it with Roar than Synthesis, as the reliable recover seems much more important, and Leech Seed forces switches as well. Besides, you are using Quilladin as a Spiker first and foremost.
- Note that its physical attackers, otherwise you insinuate that Quilladin is a great switch in to special attackers as well

Team Options
========
- In the write-up, I would actually note the defensive use of Rock-types first, and add in Stealth Rock as an additional benefit (to keep it consistent as otherwise you are just mentioning Rocks because you can).
- You mean phazers? Also, ditch banned mons mentions
- Spinblockers are much more important right now, as there are some decent spinners in the tier.
- Pawniard is a better teammate for anti-Defog actually, as it also appreciates Spikes support and Quilladin can check Poliwrath
- Electric-types in general are fine to mention to deter Flying-types of course, with Zebstrika being pretty notable to stop Jumpluff particularly.

Other Options
########
- Wood Hammer and Stone Edge should be mentioned, for power and coverage against Flying and Fire mons respectively.

Checks & Counters
########
- It would be easier to call this **Flying-type Defog Users**. What you described is also a bit confusing and Chatot doesn't generally run Defog.
- Change Avalugg to Rapid Spinners, since Armaldo and Torkoal are also very good counters.
- Taunt should be listed 3rd, as its own point. Misdreavus (maybe Monferno) probably needs the biggest mention as it is the most common user of the move as well.
- Fire-types might be better listed before Grass-types, since they actually threaten Quilladin immediately. Grass-types can set up on it occasionally, but they also let Quilladin do its job too easily.

Anty

let's drop
Several QC have stated that this is good enough for a set (s/o to karane):
Offensive Spikes
########
name: Offensive Spikes
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Wood Hammer
move 4: Endeavour / Drain Punch
item: Focus Sash / Eviliote
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

It is played as a lead and its not hard to work out how to use, ie set up spikes, taunt if the opp has a hazard user (this outspeeds pokes like golem) then can wood hammer vs defoggers if you are at low health to beat defoggers, or endeavour for damage/drain punch appropriate targets. Sash is better bc this fits a lead, while eviolite is viable and is better if you want it to be less of a dedicated lead

Bug Catcher Will

Several QC have stated that this is good enough for a set (s/o to karane):
Offensive Spikes
########
name: Offensive Spikes
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Wood Hammer
move 4: Endeavour / Drain Punch
item: Focus Sash / Eviliote
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

It is played as a lead and its not hard to work out how to use, ie set up spikes, taunt if the opp has a hazard user (this outspeeds pokes like golem) then can wood hammer vs defoggers if you are at low health to beat defoggers, or endeavour for damage/drain punch appropriate targets. Sash is better bc this fits a lead, while eviolite is viable and is better if you want it to be less of a dedicated lead

Bug Catcher Will
I invented it check team building shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)