1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Quivering Swords

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Rehin, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Rehin

Rehin

Quivering Swords
    A BW2 OU RMT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Explanation of Choices
    I love Volcarona. I don't know why but I love the thing and can't get it off my team. The interesting typing, the quiver dance, and the visuals just make an awesome pokemon. To keep it alive I threw on Forrestress, to spin and spike. Lucario fit in well, complementing Vol's typing, and working as a physical sweeper. Originally I wanted a Cloyster, but Lucario just felt like a better fit. I wanted to run Toxic stalling Gliscor, because I've seen it wreck me sooooo many times. My Sp. Wall used to be a Blissey, but I recently tried Jellicent, and was amazed at how well he did the job, so he has earned his spot. For my final pokemon I felt I needed a revenge killer. This one took a lot of thinking. It was originally a Dugtrio, then an Infernape, and both were fine, but I wanted something different. I decided to use Zoroark, and I'm really happy about the choice. He disguises as Jellicent, and gets hit by a dark, or ghost move, and can get to the killing with ease. With that said, let's get to the actually team.

The Team

[​IMG]
    Forretress (M) @Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP,176 D, 80 Sp.D.
    Relaxed nature
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Toxic Spikes
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Volt Switch

This guy is a beautiful mon. He usually starts games for me, unless I see a Ninetails. I opted to use toxic spikes because I lack a phaser, so I can't get many forced switches to rack up spike damage. He hides for a good bit of the game, in order to stay alive to spin. If he goes down, Volcarona is usually going to as well. He is built to survive physical attacks, but has huge problems against sun teams. Also his build doesn't allow him to really do much aside from traps and spins, so I gave him volt switch. I figure getting him out and keeping him alive was more important than him doing actual damage.

[​IMG]
    Volcarona (F) @Lifeorb
    Ability: Flame Body
    EVs: 252 Sp.A, 252 speed 4 sp.d.
    Timid nature
    ~ Quiver dance
    ~ Firey dance
    ~ Buzz bug
    ~ Hidden power: Electric
    This is the meat of the team. If I switch in right, I can get off a quiver, and start racking up damage. One of my main problems was water pokemon, so HP:E manages to drop them after a QD. They used to come in and force me to switch out, losing all of my buffs. This thing does it's job beautifully, it just all comes down to switching in at the right time. This thing is the basis for the team, and it does it's job beautifully, just as long as those around it do theirs.

[​IMG]
    Lucario (M) @Lifeorb
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 speed 4 HP.
    Adamant nature
    ~ Swords dance
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ Ice punch
    ~ Extreme speed

This guy is needed for two big reasons. If I'm against a sandstorm team, he can drop hold his own with Close Combat. The second is dragons. He can switch in and take out Haxorus, Dragonite, and Salamence better than anything else I have. If he goes down before the enemies dragons, I'm in a bad position. I've heard about Terrakion, but Luke just feels like a better fit on the team. His resistances and weaknesses compliment Vol's better than Terrakion's do, so Lucario has kept the spot over him.

[​IMG]
    Zoroark (M) @Choice Scarf
    Ability: Illusion
    EVs: 252 Sp.A, 252 speed 4 HP.
    Timid nature
    ~ Dark Pulse
    ~ Grass knot
    ~ Flamethrower
    ~ Focus Blast.

My revenge killer. This thing has crazy speed and coverage. He can really make a pivotal difference in the fight. I can usually get a favorable matchup against my opponent, which can be enough to turn the entire fight around. Both Zoro, and Jellicent take the same damage from Stealth Rock, which keeps him hidden. He's been great in his slot, and at what he does, but if I leave him out for a second to long, he gets trounced and dies. Effective, but short lived.

[​IMG]
    Gliscor (M) @Poision orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP, 184 Def, 72 Spe
    Impish nature
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Protect
    ~ Earthquake

This thing stalled and killed me so many times that I had to get one. He performs flawlessly. He comes in, they switch, sub goes up. If Tspikes are there, I don't need to toxic, and then just start protecting. I can get some of the bigger threats out of the way if I switch in at the right time. Gliscor can take a hit with relative ease, but he can also throw one back. I'm contemplating switching EQ to facade for the surprise element, but EQ reliably helps their health keep dropping. This things is amazing.

[​IMG]
    Jellicent (M) @Leftovers
    Ability: Water absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD
    Calm nature
    ~ Scald
    ~ Recover
    ~ Will O' Wisp
    ~ Ghost Ball

Tired of Blissey? I was too. This thing is a great new alternative. It's typing, and abilities make it an amazing special wall. I wait for a water type to come in, and eat their attack. Then they'll usually switch, and if it's a physical attacker, I can get a burn off, assuming I haven't laid toxic spikes yet (or they've been spun). I had toxic for a while, but I wanted to change it up. This things soaks up a lot of otherwise devastating hits for my team. Fire attacks aimed at Forretress, and Ice attacks at Gliscor get reduced to nothing by this mustached behemoth. ​

Closing Remarks
    So, that's my team at a glance. My main problems are weather teams, but I've tried to put in mons who can counter different weathers, but the results are okay at best. I've tried a lot of combinations but I still have trouble once a weather war has started. Aside from that, I've managed to catch a lot of people off guard with my team combination. I feel take a lot of risk running my team without weather with how the game is now, but I was tired of trying to keep my sun or rain up, so this team was something completely new for me in BW. I've had decent success with this team, but I'm hoping to improve it. Any advice is greatly appreciated, and I thank you for taking the time to read this. ​
  2. CedOmega

CedOmega

First off, love the team. I, too, enjoy using Volcarona!

Ok. You have a great looking team here. I suggest ToxicSpikes>Spikes on Foretress. Your team benefits better from it. Also, GigaDrain>HP(Electric) to keep Volcarona healthy after repeated LO abuse. Also secures a solid OHKO on Keldeo & Rotom-W after a QD, which would be troublesome otherwise.

Anyways, I hope this helps. Good luck w/ the team. ^-^
  3. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Frontier Lackeyis a Past WCoP Winner

Hey!

Interesting weatherless offensive team. I've got a few small changes to suggest.

First, I think you should try Hidden Power Ice on Volcarona. It will help you beat Dragons more efficiently. Otherwise, Dragonite and Salamence could give you a lot of grief. Giga Drain is an interesting option too because then you can beat Terrakion. The more I think about it, the choice is more that of personal preference. Giga Drain beats Terrakion, Keldeo, and the like while Hidden Power Ice will beat Dragons and Tornadus-t. I think you have Terrakion and Keldeo covered by Jelli and Gliscor personally.

Further, you could use Gyro Ball over Toxic Spikes on Forretress. Your team is pretty offensive, so Toxic Spikes won't have a significant impact on most matches. Plus Forretress is your main Pokemon to make sure Volcarona doesn't lose half its health to Stealth Rock. Between setting up your own Stealth Rock and spinning away the opponent's, Forretress will be very busy. Gyro Ball allows you to beat Pokemon like Gengar and Terrakion seen on a plethora of teams lately.

Good luck dude.
  4. Rehin

Rehin

Hp ice, or Giga drain? It is a tossup. I hate both rain teams, and dragons. I'm leaning more towards Giga Drain to wipe out water types that could really hurt Vol, but I'll try both.

As for Forretress, I like seeing my foes poisoned, but I can understand that making him do too much is a problem. I'll try out Gyro ball and see how he does with it.

Thank you both for your replies, they're immensely appreciated.
  5. Rehin

Rehin

So I tried out Giga Drain, and I'm pretty happy with it. Luke can usually get the jump on a dragon, especially one who is locked into something.

As for Forre, I played 3 games with different setups. The Tspikes he has now are great to get the damage going, but there's a problem with Jellicent being unable to burn physical attackers. I tried spikes, and those worked well. In one match the other teams rapid spinner died early, so I sent Forre out, and managed to get all of my stuff down before he died. This defiantly helped turn the battle for me. The second spikes battle, Forre got one layer down before having to switch out, and I couldn't find a good time to get him back in. I'll be trying Gyro Ball today, but I feel like if the other team doesn't have a spinner/loses their spinner, spikes become a godsend. I'll update tomorrow with his results.

The last thing is someone told me I should put Rotom-W in Zoroark's place. Does this seem like a good idea to anyone, or is having the Zoroark illusion better than the one weakness Rotom?
  6. Superpowerdude

Superpowerdude "The Phone-Post King"
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

Hey Rehen i got your request! Nice team!

Looking at your team it seems to be that Sub+Dragon Dance Gyarados looks like a problem for your team. It can set up on Forretress, Gliscor and if he hasnt accumilated any boosts Lucario as well. Jellicents Shadow Ball (or Ghost Ball as you like to call it ;)) never breaks the standard Gyarados's Substitutes letting him even set up on Jellicent! At +2 in rain Gyarados should have no trouble sweeping through your team. Also your team is quite weak with only one Water-type resist/immunity. You have two Water-type weaknesses in Volcarona and Gliscor, Zoroark and Lucario aren't the bulkiest of pokemon so even they will be threatend by the boosted Water-type moves of your opponent. Lastly Forretress won't be able to take much boosted Water-type moves due to its low special defence.

To help your team revenge kill Gyarados and provide you another necassary Water-type resist i suggest Choice Scarf Rotom-W>Zoroark Rotom-W resists Gyarados's stabs and can outspeed unboosted Gyarados and ohko them with Volt Switch. With Rotom-W's Water-type resist and threatening Water and Electric-type stabs Rotom-W also helps you against rain teams immensly. To be honest i dont think Zoraork is a good Choice Scarf user anyway. It is very frail, and it is unable to revenge kill a Salamence and Dragonite reliably due to them resisting 3 out of 4 of Zoraorks moves. Hidden Power [Ice] is the prefered Hidden Power for Rotom-W to revenge kill Dragon-types. Rotom-W also provides good support for Volcarona and Lucario creating more switch in oppurtunities with Volt Switch. With Trick Rotom-W can also cripple a pokemon making it easy for Volcarona and Lucario to set up.

Regarding your Forretress i dont really think you need Toxic Spikes that much. Having to set up Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes will give Forretress a hard time Rapid Spinning which is obviously his most important role due to your team carrying a Volcarona. Your team doesn't really need Toxic Spikes anyway due to your team being mainly offensive although Jellicent and Gliscor can abuse it with their recovery it isnt really important for your teams succes as Lucario and Volcarona certianly dont need it to sweep. Gyro Ball>Toxic Spikes is a good change to get rid of Toxic Spikes and let Forretress beat Choice Scarf Terrakion who can outspeed and ohko Volcarona with Stone Edge and Lucario with Earthqauke. My only other suggestion is regarding your Volcarona. Giga Drain>Hidden Power [Electric] is the prefered option on Volcarona because it can still hit bulky Water-types but can hit Terrakion super effectively as well. If you decide to go with Rotom-W your team will already have the great Electric-type coverage anyway.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Sets
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf | Levitate
    Timid | 252 SpA / 252 Sp Def / 252 Spe
    Hydro Pump | Volt Switch | Trick | Hidden Power [Ice]

Tl;dr
    Show Hide

Rotom-W--->Lucario

Forretress
    .Gyro Ball--->Toxic Spikes

Volcarona
    .Giga Drain--->Hidden Power [Electric]

~Superpowerdude
  7. Rehin

Rehin

Thanks Superpowerdude, I think that was all stuff I needed to see. I appreciate you taking the time to look it over, and I'll implement those changes.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)