Qwilfish (Analysis) [QC 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
REMEMBER: Taunt can go on the sets above to be different from other Swfit Swimmers.

A true Defensive set with:

Set Name: Defensive Pivot
Qwilfish: @ Leftovers / Black Sludge [Item Clause / Mono Poison Team]
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold (+Def, - Atk)
Ability: Intimidate

Spikes / Toxic Spikes
Boiling Water / Taunt
Pain Split
Substitute
/ Stockpile

Switch in Qwilfish on a physical attacker/wall, Intimidate, cause a switch and Substitute. Use the Spikes of your choice as your Substitute takes a hit, then Substitute back up.

Even with Max HP, it only has 334 HP which isn't so high, especially after a few hits, making Pain Split usable. Boiling Water is usable for lowering the foe's attack further through some Burns, and Spikes allows it to take advantage of it's defensive role and cause some entry hazards. Toxic Spikes can be used, but at that point it would be better to just use Tentacruel. Taunt can also be used, but would be better on a faster set.

The choice for the last move is really dependent on your team, Stockpile works like a Weezing set would, as it increases your defenses, and is especially useful if the foe you Intimidated switches out. Substitute is used as the foe switches out, so you can scout, and safely lay down Spikes.
Unfortunately upon further inspection, Intimidate and pain split are illegal together. Thus I'll have to remove the option.

SkyNet

MediEvil!
Well I have been testing Quilfish > Kabutops on my rain team and its held its own to be honest, with the ability to absorb toxic spikes some might even say its a superior choice.

Nice write up Zeph.

Qwilfish is way awesome, can't deny it. I used the bulky set on a non rain team and it was surprisingly pretty good. This thing will be a big UU threat probably

You forgot to mention Sazandora as a partner to Qwilfish since they have (near) perfect defensive synergy. Also, without Taunt, Nattorei walks all over the Defensive sets. You might want to consider slashing it with Thunder Wave, Protect, or even Waterfall/Boiling Water. You might also want to test Taunt on the Dancing Fish set instead of Explosion also. Explosion was hurt horribly his Gen and it doesn't really help Qwilfish beat anything that it would otherwise have trouble with i.e. Burungeru and Nattorei (admittedly it hits Tentacruel but that's hit hard by Waterfall anyway). Taunt helps beat Burungeru by preventing Will-O-Wisping and Recovering so you can eventually beat it with Poison Jab (even Resisted it does a decent amount to Burungeru). It also helps against Phazing Bulky Waters like Vaporeon (not that they actually exist in this metagame) and can prevent Nattorei from Leech Seeding/Spiking on you.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Qwilfish is way awesome, can't deny it. I used the bulky set on a non rain team and it was surprisingly pretty good. This thing will be a big UU threat probably
Right ;p

thanks, and thanks skynet.

@Idunno thanks for the contribution, I agree with you on Sazandora. As far as Nattorei goes, Nat pretty simply 2hkos qwil with power whip as it is, or straight up ohkos depending on the spread and passive damage, so I wouldnt both taunting something that can straight beat you. I will slash explosion with taunt though for burungeru.

I use Quilfish on my rain team for a number of reasons. Obviously he can absorb T spikes, but he also has a nice STAB poison move to help against grass types, and he has Aqua Jet. Aqua Jet is a great move on him and it has saved me many many times. I would slash that in with Destiny Bond or Spikes. He seems too frail to use Spikes, and Life Orb should be slashed with Balloon because it needs the power.

Zephyr

Life Stream
I use Quilfish on my rain team for a number of reasons. Obviously he can absorb T spikes, but he also has a nice STAB poison move to help against grass types, and he has Aqua Jet. Aqua Jet is a great move on him and it has saved me many many times. I would slash that in with Destiny Bond or Spikes. He seems too frail to use Spikes, and Life Orb should be slashed with Balloon because it needs the power.
LO is slashed in on the Swords dance set, the offensive spiker needs balloon to help it make switchins and spike when it can.

Thanks for input though :D

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm really split on this now- the Aldaron proposal having passed, Qwilfish's big utility has kinda gone out the window for now. There's still the question of a potentially viable bulky spiker with Intimidate and Spikes, but 65/75/55 defenses aren't doing it any favors, really.

Zephyr

Life Stream
Well we can accept that Qwilfish is the way it is and pass the analysis, or again take Qwilfish off the list. Though the sets are still usable with Rain dance, just not Drizzle, so really Qwilfish hasn't changed, its just the environment is less supportive?

Agreeing with Zeph. The pokemon themselves are still viable, but their analyses need to emphasize that they now require much heavier support in the form of Rain Dance.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think we can all agree that Rain Dance is "nowhere near as good" due to the prevalence of opposing weather, and this has an especially large effect on Qwilfish, which really doesn't appreciate being on a timer like Rain Dance forces.

Zephyr

Life Stream
I think we can all agree that Rain Dance is "nowhere near as good" due to the prevalence of opposing weather, and this has an especially large effect on Qwilfish, which really doesn't appreciate being on a timer like Rain Dance forces.
Indeed we can. Now it's the matter of whether or not Qwilfish is appropriate for an analysis, it still by no means is an unusable pokemon, and if you(the staff) decide to keep it on the list, its not really a matter of how good the pokemon is, it is if the analysis depicts what it can do well that determines if it is worth adding to the site.

Now that Swift Swim + Drizzle is banned, you should probably just keep it to Spiking then make the Rain Dance set when UU comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)