NU Qwilfish

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
QC Checks: [ Soulgazer ] [ Montsegur ] [ scorpdestroyer ]
GP Checks: [ fleurdyleurse ] [ Lord Alphose ]

[12:22:20 PM] blunder: ey is qwil a good scarfer ma nigga

Overview
########
Qwilfish has a solid defensive typing that gives it key resistances to Fighting- and Water-type moves, and allows it to absorb Toxic Spikes, although its typing gives it a weakness to Ground- and Electric-type moves. It also possess good abilities in the form of Intimidate and Swift Swim, the former of which allows it to check some Pokemon in the tier such as Sawk, Hariyama, and Granbull. Qwilfish also has access to a variety of moves such as Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Thunder Wave, Taunt, Explosion, Pain Split, Waterfall, and Poison Jab. Access to such moves means Qwilfish makes an ideal entry hazard-stacking Pokemon for offensive and defensive teams alike. Although Qwilfish has good Speed, Attack, and Defense coupled with Intimidate, it has a pitiful Special Defense stat that prevents Qwilfish from checking Pokemon it otherwise could, such as Samurott, Omastar, and Typhlosion.

Hazards Support
########
name: Hazards Support
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Pain Split
move 3: Waterfall / Scald
move 4: Taunt / Thunder Wave
ability: Intimidate
item: Black Sludge
evs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
nature: Impish / Bold

Moves
========
Spikes is the most important move on this set, as it allows Qwilfish to stack entry hazards against the opposing team, inflicting residual damage on all grounded Pokemon. Pain Split, along with Qwilfish's low HP stat, allows Qwilfish to recover some of its HP against healthier opponents. Waterfall is a good STAB move, and Scald is a weaker STAB option that is useful for its 30% chance of burn, which can cripple a lot of the physical attackers. In the last slot, Taunt can prevent some walls like Audino from using Wish + Protect, also allowing Qwilfish to break stall to an extent. Additionally, Taunt can prevent Defog. Thunder Wave can be used to cripple sweepers such as Sawk and Slurpuff. Toxic Spikes is an option to stack more entry hazards. Poison Jab is a usable STAB option over Waterfall, and Haze can be used to remove all stat boosts on setup sweepers.

Set Details
========
Speed investment allows Qwilfish to outspeed Timid Omastar leads and Taunt them before they start setting up. Maximum HP is used to maximize bulk, with the rest of the EVs put into Defense to take physical attacks better together with Intimidate. Black Sludge is used for passive recovery. If Waterfall or Poison Jab are chosen over Scald, then the nature should be Impish. Otherwise, using a Bold nature is better.

Usage Tips
========
Qwilfish can be used as a lead for entry hazard-stacking defensive teams to set up hazards as early as possible and stop opposing leads such as Omastar and Garbodor from setting up with Taunt. Additionally, it can be used throughout the game for its ability to set up hazards more than one time with Pain Split, and also to check threats such as Sawk, Feraligatr, Hariyama, and Granbull. Qwilfish uses the combination of Spikes, Pain Split, and Taunt to set up entry hazards as much as possible and stay at a healthy amount of HP, and Taunt also stops opponents from using Defog.

Team Options
========
Spinblockers, such as Spiritomb and Mismagius, are good teammates for Qwilfish to block the opponent's Rapid Spin and keep the hazards on their field. Phazers go well with Qwilfish for their ability to force switches and inflict residual damage from the entry hazards; examples include Dragon Tail Lickilicky, Roar Rhydon, and Roar Steelix. The latter two can also set up Stealth Rock, which compliments Qwilfish's hazards, and are immune to Electric-type attacks with their Ground typing, Seismitoad is another Ground-type that learns Stealth Rock.

On more balanced teams, some sweepers such as Electivire, Typhlosion, and Feraligatr appreciate the entry hazards that Qwilfish sets. Wish support from Pokemon such as Lickilicky and Audino can help keep Qwilfish around, and they also have good synergy with Qwilfish for their ability to stomach special attacks, while Qwilfish can switch into the Fighting-types that Lickilicky and Audino struggle against. Finally, Grass-types such as Ferroseed and Tangela can switch into Electric-type attacks.

Suicide Lead
########
name: Suicide Lead
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Toxic Spikes
move 4: Explosion
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
Spikes is a good entry hazard that can be stacked up to three times. Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up hazards with Pokemon such as Garbodor and Omastar, and also prevents Defog. Toxic Spikes is another type of entry hazard that inflicts poison upon switch in. Using Explosion before the opponent can Defog or Rapid Spin will cause the attempt to remove hazards to fail, and it also inflicts decent damage. Waterfall can also be used as a STAB option.

Set Details
========
Focus Sash allows Qwilfish to live a hit and guarantee that at least two entry hazards are set up. Intimidate allows Qwilfish to take some weaker physical hits to help it set up, and max Speed investment with a Jolly nature is used to as fast as possible to set up entry hazards, and max Attack investment is used to boost up Qwilfish's damage output.

Usage Tips
========
Qwilfish is usually used as a lead for hyper offense teams that rely on stacking entry hazards, so leading with it is usually the best option. If the opponent's lead is something that could potentially set up, such as Probopass with Stealth Rock, then Taunt can be used to prevent that. When using Toxic Spikes, sometimes it's better to lay down one layer as poison inflicts more damage on a shorter notice than toxic poison, and that is best against offensive teams. Against more defensive teams with walls such as Audino or Lickilicky, it's better to have two layers. Use Explosion against a potential Rapid Spinner or a Defogger to keep entry hazards and prevent them from being removed.

Team Options
========
Pokemon on offensive teams that appreciate Qwilfish's entry hazards support make good teammates. These Pokemon include sweepers such as Ludicolo, Pyroar, Typhlosion, Slurpuff, Feraligatr, and Electivire. Stealth Rock users also go well with Qwilfish as their hazards compliment one another. Mesprit and Magnet Pull Probopass are Stealth Rock good setters that fit on offensive teams. Finally, wallbreakers such as Choice Specs Pyroar, Typhlosion, Magmortar, and Choice Band Granbull can break walls more easily with the support Qwilfish's entry hazards brings.

Other Options
########
Qwilfish can effectively utilize a set with Swords Dance, Poison Jab, Waterfall, and Explosion to attempt a sweep on its own or lure some walls like Vileplume and KO with Explosion at +2, but Swords Dance is illegal with Aqua Jet and Intimidate. A Swift Swim set with Rain Dance, Waterfall, Poison Jab, and Explosion can fit on rain teams to set up Rain Dance and then use Explosion to bring another sweeper in safely. Additionally, Qwilfish can utilize a set with Life Orb using its special moves such as Hydro Pump and Sludge Bomb, but Qwilfish's Special Attack is rather poor. An all-out attacking set with Intimidate can bluff a support set while still checking threats such as Sawk and Hariyama. Finally, Qwilfish can use Choice Scarf set with Waterfall, Poison Jab, and Explosion to act as a revenge killer, but it's weak without any boosts.

Checks & Counters
########
**Psychic-types**: Psychic-type attacks are super effective on Qwilfish; as such, most Psychic-type Pokemon can stop Qwilfish. Kadabra and Xatu are good at this, the latter especially because it can use Magic Bounce to reflect Qwilfish's own hazards back at it, and the former is unaffected by hazards thanks to Magic Guard. Mesprit can also use its STAB Psychic to KO Qwilfish.

**Special Attackers**: Because of Qwilfish's poor Special Defense stat, any strong special attacker can stop it in its tracks. Seismitoad, Rotom-N, Rotom-F, Mismagius, and Sceptile can all damage Qwilfish for a lot with their STAB attacks. Cryogonal and Articuno both can carry Freeze Dry, which is super effective against Qwilfish. Additionally, Seismitoad has Water Absorb and resists Poison-type moves while having Earth Power to hurt Qwilfish.

**Defog/Taunt**: Although Qwilfish can carry Taunt to stop Defog, most Defoggers such as Mantine and Pelipper are immune to its hazards and can come in later and remove them with ease. Faster Taunt users can also stop Qwilfish in its tracks; those include Mismagius, Samurott, and Liepard.

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The defensive set should still be first imo. The suicide lead set is good and all but the lack of SR really hurts its viability even on HO teams; the defensive set is less restrictive to teambuilding since balanced teams can afford to run bulkier hazard stackers. Also if no one objects I'd actually like to have Scald over Waterfall; I personally never use Waterfall just because the burn chance is so great and an uninvested Qwilfish is weak anyway regardless of what offensive move it uses. The only thing it helps against are certain Substitute users like Mismagius, half of which already beat you anyway.

[Overview]
  • I'd just toss in that because of its bad SpD it's unable to check certain attackers that it might've otherwise, like Samurott, Omastar, Typhlosion, Pyroar, etc.
  • You should also expand a bit on the suicide lead in the Overview too, since most of your pros and cons are pretty biased towards the defensive set. Just a point explaining its role on HO teams will do.
[Team Options] (Lead)
  • I'd list a couple SR setters too since Qwil can't learn it: Mesprit and Magnet Pull Probopass are good choices for offensive teams since they don't lose momentum.
[Team Options] (Defensive)
  • These are really, really stall biased. Qwilfish also fits really well on balance so I'd reflect on that and add some offensive teammates too.
  • I'd prefer a different Grass-type than Tangela since it's so specially frail and can't take on a lot of Electric-types pretty well. Something like Ferroseed would fit better.
[Checks and Counters]
  • I don't like Taunt and Defog being listed as counters (and definitely not as the first ones). Qwilfish learns Taunt itself so it can already stop Defog from even happening and its own Taunt is pretty fast so it can stop a lot of opposing Taunters (and Taunt Liepard is kind of bad). Remove Defog from there and if you're going to mention Taunt make sure to specifically label ~fast~ Taunters like Otter and Mismagius.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
  • I don't like Taunt and Defog being listed as counters (and definitely not as the first ones). Qwilfish learns Taunt itself so it can already stop Defog from even happening and its own Taunt is pretty fast so it can stop a lot of opposing Taunters (and Taunt Liepard is kind of bad). Remove Defog from there and if you're going to mention Taunt make sure to specifically label ~fast~ Taunters like Otter and Mismagius.
At the time when I was writing the point about Defog I didn't mean to get it across as a 1v1 situation with Defogger vs. Qwilfish since obviously Qwilfish will Taunt the Defog, I meant it as in most defoggers are immune to qwil's hazards and can easily just defog them later on when qwil is dead/isn't sent out. I'll fix it to reflect that and maybe list it underneath the other two categories. I also made sure to list fast taunters.

I'll implement other changes.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Personally I feel like SD Qwilfish deserves its own set. Swords Dance / Waterfall / Poison Jab / Destiny Bond or Explosion is the set I'm thinking of. In my experiences with this set on rain teams, it does quite a number of stuff, including absorbing TSpikes and wallbreaking, and sometimes getting me sweeps. It's a good set and I feel its niche is good enough for a set of its own. Or is a rain sweeper set too small of a niche to be included? Thoughts, QC?

You might mention that 24 more evs get the jump on 0 base 100s like miltank so that you can taunt SR or Heal bell :/

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I see a mention or two of SD + Explosion so far, and I wanna hit you up with some amazing Game Freak logic for a second to make you all aware of this:
In generation 3, Qwilfish was able to learn Swords Dance only from the tutors on the Sevii islands in FRLG [legit, it couldn't even learn it later on in Emerald..], and it hasn't been able to learn it from the TM for Swords Dance from any gen after that. So basically, if you want a Gen 5 DW ability [Intimidate], you can't have SD cause game freak for some reason decided to never give it access to the move again.....

tl:dr, with Swords Dance, you need to carry Poison Point or Swift Swim. Make mention of this if you mention an SD set, even in OO.

aVocado

@ Everstone
I see a mention or two of SD + Explosion so far, and I wanna hit you up with some amazing Game Freak logic for a second to make you all aware of this:
In generation 3, Qwilfish was able to learn Swords Dance only from the tutors on the Sevii islands in FRLG [legit, it couldn't even learn it later on in Emerald..], and it hasn't been able to learn it from the TM for Swords Dance from any gen after that. So basically, if you want a Gen 5 DW ability [Intimidate], you can't have SD cause game freak for some reason decided to never give it access to the move again.....

tl:dr, with Swords Dance, you need to carry Poison Point or Swift Swim. Make mention of this if you mention an SD set, even in OO.
wow. I assumed it learns SD through TM.. thats how most Pokemon learn SD anyway :/

i'll make sure to make note of that.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Small thing here, but Qwil cant learn Swords Dance and Aqua Jet together on the same set :/
Aqua Jet is a gen 4 egg and like TCW said Swords Dance is a gen 3 tutor move.

Swords Dance Qwilfish is still legit as hell on rain teams, and offensive Qwilfish with intimidate is also good for bluffing a support/defensive set and hitting something coming in trying to set up on it hard, make a mention of that in oo.

Edit @ below: was referring to a physical set

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
Small thing here, but Qwil cant learn Swords Dance and Aqua Jet together on the same set :/
Aqua Jet is a gen 4 egg and like TCW said Swords Dance is a gen 3 tutor move.

Swords Dance Qwilfish is still legit as hell on rain teams, and offensive Qwilfish with intimidate is also good for bluffing a support/defensive set and hitting something coming in trying to set up on it hard, make a mention of that in oo.
fixed.

and on the 2nd note, that's kinda what hpump/sludge bomb qwilfish does, or do you want a physical attacking set?

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
:/ guess SD Qwil isnt good enough to get its own set, to bad lol. On the first set in team options add in ground types to set up rocks and absorb electric moves like Toad and Rhydon. (already have it under phasers but separating them is probably better)

Looks good though [QC 2/3]

Edit @ below: gotta wait for the 3rd check

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
ok done and thanks Montsegur. I also talked to a few QC members on irc and we agreed that a big mention to SD in OO is best.

edit: also, for clarification, can I write this now or do I have to wait for a 3rd check? I heard theres a new rule about that.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Maybe mention Seismitoad in checks and counters; while it hates Pain Split it can do a good job at beating Qwilfish otherwise.

Looks good. QC 3/3

amcheck!

adding removing (comment)

Overview
########
Qwilfish has a solid defensive typing that gives it key resistances to Fighting- and Water-type moves while allowing it to absorb Toxic Spikes, although it gives it a weakness to Ground- and Electric-type moves. It also possess good abilities in the form of Intimidate and Swift Swim,; (semicolon) the former of which allows it to check some Pokemon in the tier such as Sawk, Hariyama, and Granbull. Qwilfish also has access to a variety of moves such as Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Thunder Wave, Taunt, Explosion, Pain Split, Waterfall, and Poison Jab. Access to such moves means Qwilfish makes an ideal entry hazard-stacking Pokemon for offensive and defensive teams alike. While Qwilfish has good speed, attack, and defense coupled with Intimidate, it has a pitiful special defense stat that prevents Qwilfish from checking Pokemon it otherwise could, such as Samurott, Omastar, and Typhlosion.
(double spacing between sections can help readability)

Hazards Support
########

Moves
========
Spikes is the most important move on this set as it allows Qwilfish to stack hazards against the opposing team, inflicting residual damage on all grounded Pokemon. Pain Split, (comma) along with its low HP stat, (comma) allows Qwilfish to recover some of its HP against healthier opponents. Waterfall is a good STAB move, while Scald is a weaker STAB option but is useful for its 30% chance of burn,; (semicolon) which can cripple potentially crippling a lot of the physical attackers Qwilfish can check with Intimidate. In the last slot, Taunt can be used to prevent Defog, as well as stopping some walls like Audino from using Wish + Protect,; (semicolon) while also allowing Qwilfish to break stall to an extent helpful for breaking stall. Additionally, Taunt can prevent Defog. Thunder Wave can be used to cripple sweepers such as Sawk and Slurpuff. Toxic Spikes is an option to stack more entry hazards. Poison Jab is a usable STAB option over Waterfall, and Haze can be used to remove all stat boosts.

Set Details
========
Speed investment allows Qwilfish to outspeed Timid Omastar leads, (comma) and Taunt them before they start setting up. Maximum HP is used to maximize boost (repeating word) bulk, with the rest remaining EVs into defense to take physical attacks better, (comma) in tandem with Intimidate. Black Sludge is used for passive recovery. If Waterfall or Poison Jab are chosen over Scald, then the nature should be Impish.; (semicolon) otherwise, using Bold is better.

Usage Tips
========
Qwilfish can be used as a hazard setting lead for entry hazard-stacking defensive teams to set up hazards as early as possible, and it can also to stop opposing leads such as Omastar and Garbodor from setting up with Taunt. Additionally, it Qwilfish can be used throughout the game for its ability to set up hazards more than one time once with Pain Split, and also to check threats such as Sawk, Feraligatr, Hariyama, and Granbull. Qwilfish uses the combination of Spikes, and Pain Split, and Taunt to set up entry hazards as much as possible and while stay at keeping a healthy amount of HP, while also as well as stopping opponents from using Defog use with Taunt.

Team Options
========
Spinblockers such as Spiritomb and Mismagius are logical teammates for Qwilfish, (comma) to as they block the opponent's Rapid Spin and keep the hazards on their field. Phazers go well with Qwilfish for their ability to force switches and inflict residual damage from the entry hazards,; (semicolon) and examples can include Dragon Tail Lickilicky, Roar Rhydon, and Roar Steelix. The latter two can also set up Stealth Rock which compliments Qwilfish's hazards, and they are immune to Electric-type attacks with their partial Ground-typing,. (period) while Seismitoad is also another Ground-type that learns Stealth Rock.

On more balanced teams, some sweepers such as Electivire, Typhlosion, and Feraligatr appreciate the Qwilfish's entry hazards Qwilfish has. Wish support from Pokemon such as Lickilicky and Audino can help keep Qwilfish around,. (period) and they These Pokemon also have good synergy when paired with Qwilfish for their ability to stomach special attacks, while Qwilfish can switch into the Fighting-types Lickilicky and Audino struggle against. Finally, Grass-types such as Ferroseed and Tangela can switch into the Electric-type attacks and have good synergy with that could harm Qwilfish.

Suicide Lead
########

Moves
========
Spikes is are a good entry hazard that can be stacked up to three times. Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up hazards with Pokemon such as Garbodor and Omastar opposing pokemon such as Garbodor and Omastar from setting up hazards, and also prevents Defog. Toxic Spikes is are another form of entry hazards that which inflicts either poison, or toxic poison with two stacks, upon switch in. Using Explosion before the opponent can Defog or Rapid Spin will cause the attempt to fail, and it also inflicts decent damage. Waterfall can also be used as a STAB option.

Set Details
========
Focus Sash allows Qwilfish to live take at least one hit and guarantees at least two entry hazards down. Intimidate allows Qwilfish to take some weaker physical hits to help it set up, and max speed investment with Jolly nature is used to be as fast as possible to set up entry hazards,. (period) Maximum attack investment is used to boost up Qwilfish's damage output.

Usage Tips
========
Qwilfish is usually used as a lead for hyper offense teams that rely on stacking entry hazards, so leading with it is usually the best. If the opponent's lead is something that could potentially set up such as Probopass with Stealth Rock, then Taunt can be used to prevent that. When using Toxic Spikes against an offensive team, sometimes it's (apostrophe) better to lay down only one layer, (comma) as poison inflicts more damage on a shorter notice than toxic poison, and that is best against offensive teams. Against more defensive teams with walls such as Audino or Lickilicky, then it's better to have two layers against them. Use Explosion against a potential Rapid Spinner or a Defogger to keep entry hazards and prevent them entry hazards from being removed.

Team Options
========
Pokemon on offensive teams that appreciate Qwilfish's entry hazards support make good teammates for it. These Pokemon include sweepers such as Ludicolo, Pyroar, Typhlosion, Slurpuff, Feraligatr, and Electivire. Stealth Rocks users also go well with Qwilfish as their hazards compliment one another. Mesprit and Magnet Pull Probopass fit on offensive teams and are good setters of it Stealth Rocks that fit on offensive teams. Finally, wallbreakers such as Choice Specs Pyroar, (comma) and Choice Specs Typhlosion, Magmortar, and Choice Band Granbull can are more able to break walls easier with the support that Qwilfish's entry hazards brings.

Other Options
########
Qwilfish can effectively utilize a set with Swords Dance, Poison Jab, Waterfall, and Explosion, (comma) to attempt a sweep on its own, (comma) or lure some walls like Vileplume and KO with Explosion at +2 attack,. (period) but However Swords Dance is illegal with when coupled with Aqua Jet and Intimidate. A Swift Swim set with Rain Dance, Waterfall, Poison Jab, and Explosion can fit on rain teams to set up Rain Dance and then use Explosion to safely bring in another sweeper in safely. Additionally, Qwilfish can utilize a set with Life Orb, (comma) using its special moves such as Hydro Pump and Sludge Bomb, but Qwilfish's special attack stat is rather poor. An all-out attacking set with Intimidate can bluff pose as a support set while still checking threats such as Sawk and Hariyama. Finally, Qwilfish can use a Choice Scarf set with Waterfall, Poison Jab, and Explosion to act as a revenge killer, but it's weak without any boosts.

Checks & Counters
########
**Psychic-types**: Psychic-type attacks are super effective on Qwilfish and therefore most Psychic-type Pokemon can stop Qwilfish. Kadabra and Xatu are good at this,; (semicolon) the latter is especially so because it can use Magic Bounce to reflect Qwilfish's own hazards back at it, while the former is unaffected by hazards thanks to Magic Guard. Mesprit can also use its STAB Psychic to KO Qwilfish.

**Special Attackers**: Thanks to Qwilfish's poor SpD stat, any strong special attacker can stop it in its tracks. Seismitoad, Rotom-N, Rotom-F, Mismagius, and Sceptile can all damage Qwilfish for a lot with their STAB attacks. Cryogonal and Articuno both can carry Freeze Dry which is super effective against Qwilfish. Additionally, Seismitoad has Water Absorb and resists Poison-type moves while having STAB Earth Power to hurt Qwilfish.

**Defog/Taunt**: While Qwilfish can carry Taunt to stop Defog, most Defoggers such as Mantine and Pelipper are immune to its hazards and can come switch in later and remove them with ease. Faster Taunt users can also stop Qwilfish in its tracks, and those include Mismagius, Samurott, and Liepard.

Last edited:

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########
Qwilfish has a solid defensive typing that gives it key resistances to Fighting- and Water-type moves while, and allowings it to absorb Toxic Spikes, although its typing gives itQwilfish a weakness to Ground- and Electric-type moves. It also possess good abilities in the form of Intimidate and Swift Swim, the former of which allows it to check some Pokemon in the tier such as Sawk, Hariyama, and Granbull. Qwilfish also has access to a variety of moves such as Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Thunder Wave, Taunt, Explosion, Pain Split, Waterfall, and Poison Jab. Access to such moves means Qwilfish makes an ideal entry hazard-stacking Pokemon for offensive and defensive teams alike. While Qwilfish has good sSpeed, aAttack, and dDefense coupled with Intimidate, it has a pitiful sSpecial dDefense stat that prevents Qwilfish from checking Pokemon it otherwise could, such as Samurott, Omastar, and Typhlosion.

Hazards Support
########

Moves
========
Spikes is the most important move on this set, as it allows Qwilfish to stack hazards against the opposing team, inflicting residual damage on all grounded Pokemon. Pain Split, along with itQwilfish's low HP stat, allows Qwilfish to recover some of its HP against healthier opponents. Waterfall is a good STAB move, while Scald is a weaker STAB option buthat is useful for its 30% chance of burn, which can cripple a lot of the physical attackers Qwilfish can check with Intimidate. In the last slot, Taunt can prevent some walls like Audino from using Wish + Protect, while also allowing Qwilfish to break stall to an extent. Additionally, Taunt can prevent Defog. Thunder Wave can be used to cripple sweepers such as Sawk and Slurpuff. Toxic Spikes is an option to stack more entry hazards. Poison Jab is a usable STAB option over Waterfall, and Haze can be used to remove all stat boosts.

Set Details
========
Speed investment allows Qwilfish to outspeed Timid Omastar leads and Taunt them before they start setting up. Maximum HP is used to maximize bulk, with the rest of the EVs put into dDefense to take physical attacks better in tandem with Intimidate. Black Sludge is used for passive recovery. If Waterfall or Poison Jab are chosen over Scald, then the nature should be Impish. Otherwise, using a Bold nature is better.

Usage Tips
========
Qwilfish can be used as a lead for entry hazard-stacking defensive teams to set up hazards as early as possible, and also to stop opposing leads such as Omastar and Garbodor from setting up with Taunt. Additionally, it can be used throughout the game for its ability to set up hazards more than one time with Pain Split, and also to check threats such as Sawk, Feraligatr, Hariyama, and Granbull. Qwilfish uses the combination of Spikes, Pain Split, and Taunt to set up entry hazards as much as possible and stay at a healthy amount of HP, while also stopping opponents from using Defog with Taunt.

Team Options
========
Spinblockers, such as Spiritomb and Mismagius, are logical teammates for Qwilfish to block the opponent's Rapid Spin and keep the hazards on their field. Phazers go well with Qwilfish for their ability to force switches and inflict residual damage from the entry hazards, and; examples can include Dragon Tail Lickilicky, Roar Rhydon, and Roar Steelix. The latter two can also set up Stealth Rock, which compliments Qwilfish's hazards, and are immune to Electric-type attacks with their partial Ground- typing, while Seismitoad is also another Ground-type that learns Stealth Rock.

On more balanced teams, some sweepers such as Electivire, Typhlosion, and Feraligatr appreciate the entry hazards Qwilfish has. Wish support from Pokemon such as Lickilicky and Audino can help keep Qwilfish around, and they also have good synergy paired with Qwilfish for their ability to stomach special attacks, while Qwilfish can switch into the Fighting-types that Lickilicky and Audino struggle against. Finally, Grass-types such as Ferroseed and Tangela can switch into Electric-type attacks and have good synergy with Qwilfish.

Suicide Lead
########

Moves
========
Spikes is a good entry hazard that can be stacked up to three times. Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up hazards with Pokemon such as Garbodor and Omastar, and also prevents Defog. Toxic Spikes is another formtype of entry hazards that inflicts poison upon switch in. Using Explosion before the opponent can Defog or Rapid Spin will cause the attempt to remove hazards to fail, and it also inflicts decent damage. Waterfall can also be used as a STAB option.

Set Details
========
Focus Sash allows Qwilfish to live a hit and guarantee that at least two entry hazards downare set up. Intimidate allows Qwilfish to take some weaker physical hits to help it set up, and max Speed investment with a Jolly nature is used to as fast as possible to set up entry hazards, and max Attack investment is used to boost up Qwilfish's damage output.

Usage Tips
========
Qwilfish is usually used as a lead for hyper offense teams that rely on stacking entry hazards, so leading with it is usually the best option. If the opponent's lead is something that could potentially set up, such as Probopass with Stealth Rock, then Taunt can be used to prevent that. When using Toxic Spikes, sometimes it's better to lay down one layer as poison inflicts more damage on a shorter notice than toxic poison, and that is best against offensive teams. Against more defensive teams with walls such as Audino or Lickilicky, then it's better to have two layers against them. Use Explosion against a potential Rapid Spinner or a Defogger to keep entry hazards and prevent them from being removed.

Team Options
========
Pokemon on offensive teams that appreciate Qwilfish's entry hazards support make good teammates for it. These Pokemon include sweepers such as Ludicolo, Pyroar, Typhlosion, Slurpuff, Feraligatr, and Electivire. Stealth Rock users also go well with Qwilfish as their hazards compliment one another. Mesprit and Magnet Pull Probopass are good setters of it that fit on offensive teams. Finally, wallbreakers such as Choice Specs Pyroar and, Typhlosion, Magmortar, and Choice Band Granbull can break walls more easierly with the support Qwilfish's entry hazards brings.

Other Options
########
Qwilfish can effectively utilize a set with Swords Dance, Poison Jab, Waterfall, and Explosion to attempt a sweep on its own or lure some walls like Vileplume and KO with Explosion at +2, but Swords Dance is illegal with Aqua Jet and Intimidate. A Swift Swim set with Rain Dance, Waterfall, Poison Jab, and Explosion can fit on rain teams to set up Rain Dance and then use Explosion to bring another sweeper in safely. Additionally, Qwilfish can utilize a set with Life Orb using its special moves such as Hydro Pump and Sludge Bomb, but Qwilfish's Special Attack is rather poor. An all-out attacking set with Intimidate can bluff a support set while still checking threats such as Sawk and Hariyama. Finally, Qwilfish can use Choice Scarf set with Waterfall, Poison Jab, and Explosion to act as a revenge killer, but it's weak without any boosts.

Checks & Counters
########
**Psychic-types**: Psychic-type attacks are super effective on Qwilfish; and therefores such, most Psychic-type Pokemon can stop Qwilfish. Kadabra and Xatu are good at this, the latter especially because it can use Magic Bounce to reflect Qwilfish's own hazards back at it, while the former is unaffected by hazards thanks to Magic Guard. Mesprit can also use its STAB Psychic to KO Qwilfish.

**Special Attackers**: Thanks toBecause of Qwilfish's poor Special Defense stat, any strong special attacker can stop it in its tracks. Seismitoad, Rotom-N, Rotom-F, Mismagius, and Sceptile can all damage Qwilfish for a lot with their STAB attacks. Cryogonal and Articuno both can carry Freeze Dry, which is super effective against Qwilfish. Additionally, Seismitoad has Water Absorb and resists Poison-type moves while having Earth Power to hurt Qwilfish.

**Defog/Taunt**: While Qwilfish can carry Taunt to stop Defog, most Defoggers such as Mantine and Pelipper are immune to its hazards and can come in later and remove them with ease. Faster Taunt users can also stop Qwilfish in its tracks, and; those include Mismagius, Samurott, and Liepard.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove
Add

Overview
########
Qwilfish has a solid defensive typing that gives it key resistances to Fighting- and Water-type moves, and allows it to absorb Toxic Spikes, although its typing gives Qwilfishit a weakness to Ground- and Electric-type moves. It also possess good abilities in the form of Intimidate and Swift Swim, the former of which allows it to check some Pokemon in the tier such as Sawk, Hariyama, and Granbull. Qwilfish also has access to a variety of moves such as Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Thunder Wave, Taunt, Explosion, Pain Split, Waterfall, and Poison Jab. Access to such moves means Qwilfish makes an ideal entry hazard-stacking Pokemon for offensive and defensive teams alike. WhileAlthough Qwilfish has good Speed, Attack, and Defense coupled with Intimidate, it has a pitiful Special Defense stat that prevents Qwilfish from checking Pokemon it otherwise could, such as Samurott, Omastar, and Typhlosion.

Hazards Support
########

Moves
========
Spikes is the most important move on this set, as it allows Qwilfish to stack entry hazards against the opposing team, inflicting residual damage on all grounded Pokemon. Pain Split, along with Qwilfish's low HP stat, allows Qwilfish to recover some of its HP against healthier opponents. Waterfall is a good STAB move, whileand Scald is a weaker STAB option that is useful for its 30% chance of burn, which can cripple a lot of the physical attackers Qwilfish can check with Intimidate. In the last slot, Taunt can prevent some walls like Audino from using Wish + Protect, while also allowing Qwilfish to break stall to an extent. Additionally, Taunt can prevent Defog. Thunder Wave can be used to cripple sweepers such as Sawk and Slurpuff. Toxic Spikes is an option to stack more entry hazards. Poison Jab is a usable STAB option over Waterfall, and Haze can be used to remove all stat boosts on setup sweepers.

Set Details
========
Speed investment allows Qwilfish to outspeed Timid Omastar leads and Taunt them before they start setting up. Maximum HP is used to maximize bulk, with the rest of the EVs put into Defense to take physical attacks better in tandemtogether with Intimidate. Black Sludge is used for passive recovery. If Waterfall or Poison Jab are chosen over Scald, then the nature should be Impish. Otherwise, using a Bold nature is better.

Usage Tips
========
Qwilfish can be used as a lead for entry hazard-stacking defensive teams to set up hazards as early as possible,(RC) and also to stop opposing leads such as Omastar and Garbodor from setting up with Taunt. Additionally, it can be used throughout the game for its ability to set up hazards more than one time with Pain Split, and also to check threats such as Sawk, Feraligatr, Hariyama, and Granbull. Qwilfish uses the combination of Spikes, Pain Split, and Taunt to set up entry hazards as much as possible and stay at a healthy amount of HP, whileand Taunt also stoppings opponents from using Defog with Taunt.

Team Options
========
Spinblockers, such as Spiritomb and Mismagius, are logicalgood teammates for Qwilfish to block the opponent's Rapid Spin and keep the hazards on their field. Phazers go well with Qwilfish for their ability to force switches and inflict residual damage from the entry hazards; examples include Dragon Tail Lickilicky, Roar Rhydon, and Roar Steelix. The latter two can also set up Stealth Rock, which compliments Qwilfish's hazards, and are immune to Electric-type attacks with their Ground- typing, while(Remove hyphen), and Seismitoad is also another Ground-type that learns Stealth Rock.

On more balanced teams, some sweepers such as Electivire, Typhlosion, and Feraligatr appreciate the entry hazards that Qwilfish hasets. Wish support from Pokemon such as Lickilicky and Audino can help keep Qwilfish around, and they also have good synergy paired with Qwilfish for their ability to stomach special attacks, while Qwilfish can switch into the Fighting-types that Lickilicky and Audino struggle against. Finally, Grass-types such as Ferroseed and Tangela can switch into Electric-type attacks and have good synergy with Qwilfish.

Suicide Lead
########

Moves
========
Spikes is a good entry hazard that can be stacked up to three times. Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up hazards with Pokemon such as Garbodor and Omastar, and also prevents Defog. Toxic Spikes is another type of entry hazard that inflicts poison upon switch in. Using Explosion before the opponent can Defog or Rapid Spin will cause the attempt to remove hazards to fail, and it also inflicts decent damage. Waterfall can also be used as a STAB option.

Set Details
========
Focus Sash allows Qwilfish to live a hit and guarantee that at least two entry hazards are set up. Intimidate allows Qwilfish to take some weaker physical hits to help it set up, and max Speed investment with a Jolly nature is used to as fast as possible to set up entry hazards, and max Attack investment is used to boost up Qwilfish's damage output.

Usage Tips
========
Qwilfish is usually used as a lead for hyper offense teams that rely on stacking entry hazards, so leading with it is usually the best option. If the opponent's lead is something that could potentially set up, such as Probopass with Stealth Rock, then Taunt can be used to prevent that. When using Toxic Spikes, sometimes it's better to lay down one layer as poison inflicts more damage on a shorter notice than toxic poison, and that is best against offensive teams. Against more defensive teams with walls such as Audino or Lickilicky, then it's better to have two layers against them. Use Explosion against a potential Rapid Spinner or a Defogger to keep entry hazards and prevent them from being removed.

Team Options
========
Pokemon on offensive teams that appreciate Qwilfish's entry hazards support make good teammates for it. These Pokemon include sweepers such as Ludicolo, Pyroar, Typhlosion, Slurpuff, Feraligatr, and Electivire. Stealth Rock users also go well with Qwilfish as their hazards compliment one another. Mesprit and Magnet Pull Probopass are Stealth Rock good setters of it that fit on offensive teams. Finally, wallbreakers such as Choice Specs Pyroar, Typhlosion, Magmortar, and Choice Band Granbull can break walls more easily with the support Qwilfish's entry hazards brings.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########
**Psychic-types**: Psychic-type attacks are super effective on Qwilfish; as such, most Psychic-type Pokemon can stop Qwilfish. Kadabra and Xatu are good at this, the latter especially because it can use Magic Bounce to reflect Qwilfish's own hazards back at it, whileand the former is unaffected by hazards thanks to Magic Guard. Mesprit can also use its STAB Psychic to KO Qwilfish.

**Special Attackers**: Because of Qwilfish's poor Special Defense stat, any strong special attacker can stop it in its tracks. Seismitoad, Rotom-N, Rotom-F, Mismagius, and Sceptile can all damage Qwilfish for a lot with their STAB attacks. Cryogonal and Articuno both can carry Freeze Dry, which is super effective against Qwilfish. Additionally, Seismitoad has Water Absorb and resists Poison-type moves while having Earth Power to hurt Qwilfish.

**Defog/Taunt**: WhileAlthough Qwilfish can carry Taunt to stop Defog, most Defoggers such as Mantine and Pelipper are immune to its hazards and can come in later and remove them with ease. Faster Taunt users can also stop Qwilfish in its tracks; those include Mismagius, Samurott, and Liepard.

GP Approved 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)