Qwilfish [QC 3/3]

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus

Qwilfish

Yea yea I know, its late, but Windsong took 6 months for Uxie, so I think I'm home free here

[Overview]

- A Water type Pokemon that looks like crap at first glance, but has many uses in RU
- 1st off, it provides Spikes, which works wonders as many Pokemon in RU are hurt by them
- 2nd, thanks to that typing, Qwilfish is resistant to Fire and Fighting, two common offensive types in RU
- Intimidate also helps when taking physical attacks, making it a check to Entei and now Escavieler
- However, low Speical Defense means that powerful Special Attackers can just plow through it
- Nevertheless, its a top tier Pokemon because of its support duties

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Pain Split
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Thunder Wave / Taunt / Haze
item: Leftovers
ability: Intimidate
nature: Imprish
evs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p></p>

- Qwilfish's only viable set in the RU metagame, and it does so much for a team
- Spikes is huge, as it can set them up reliably thanks to great typing and Intimidate, allowing it to tank physical attacks
- Also, as a Spiker, Qwilfish doesn't really give two shits about the main Rapid Spinners in the tier, something it holds over Roselia and Scolipede. Qwilfish can TWave and walk all over defensive Cryogonal, you at least paralyze and can win against Kabutops, and Hitmonchan is laughable in this meta and you also paralyze it and win out every time if it isn't carrying Tpunch for some reason, Hitmonlee is even easier.
- Pain Split is huge for Qwilfish, as it now gets some form of recovery
- Waterfall prevents it from being Taunt bait, and is STAB, so thats cool
- Its called the Utility set because the last slot pick what utility it does
- Taunt should be used if you want to keep hazards off the field as well stop set up
- Haze strips boosts away from Pokemon, which keep those Pokemon at bay
- Thunder Wave should be used if you're using this to help sweepers, such as CM Entei and others. It also cripples Grass-type switch ins such as Tangrowth

[AC]

<p></p>

- Max Defense plus almost max HP to make sure Physical Attacks don't hurt
- Intimidate just helps this cause
- More Speed than original spread for Taunt (16 to outpace neutral base 55s)
- Toxic Spikes, but Drapion, Roselia, and other Qwilfish will just absorb these, but they can work
- Toxic is like Toxic Spikes, but it generally inferior to the other Utility moves
- Explosion can be used to make Qwilfish more than death fodder, but Gen V Explosion nurf hurts
- Poison Jab is great for nailing Lilligant, Rotom-C, and Tangrowth on the switch
- Clefable and Cryogonal make great teammates. The combo of Qwilfish and either of those two is very tough to break, and they have absolutely fantastic synergy together as duos.
- Grass-types are also big partners, even the frailer ones, since Qwilfish is basically a hard stop to Entei who would normally rip them apart.
- <Insert partners here>

[OO]

- Swift Swim set
- Aqua Tail
- A Choice Band set with Aqua Jet / Waterfall / Poison Jab / Explosion can work
- Destiny Bond
- Rain Dance
- Swords Dance

[C&C]

- Special Attackers spell Qwilfish's downfall
- Electric-types, especially Rotom-C and Lanturn, all get rid of Qwilfish with powerful Electric-type Attacks
- Psychic-types, especially Slowking as it resists Waterfall, will be troublesome for Qwilfish, along with other Psychic-types such as Mesprit, Sigiypth, and Uxie, as SubCM Uxie and Mesprit make Qwilfish set up bait.
- Taunt can be used to prevent its main job of setting up Spikes and its utility, so Pokemon like Aero, Drapion, and others work
- Steelix takes nothing from Waterfall and hits back hard with a STAB Earthquake or sets up on it
- Natu, while rare, bonces back Qwilfish's attempts of setting up, and can set up Reflect to make sure Waterfall doesn't hurt
- Lilligant can just use Qwilfish as set up fodder, especially ones with Lum Berry, as they avoid the Thunder Wave, and then can just use Sleep Powder to put it to sleep
<More to Come>

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You should definitely put Pain Split, which DW Qwilfish got as a tutor move, as a main move in the first set.

Here is how i would make the set:

move 1: Spikes / T-Spikes
move 2: Taunt / Haze
move 3: Pain Split
move 4: Waterfall

T-Wave and Toxic should go to AC, imo, as Pain Split is so much better.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Rain sweeper to OO. Does not deserve a full set.

T-Spikes and Toxic to AC. Spikes, Pain Split, and a STAB move are basically mandatory, and then you should usually pick 1 of Taunt, Haze, and T-Wave as your "utility" move.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Made Honko's changes, beefed up the SC, AC, and C&C parts, this should be ready for QC now

Wow Qwilfish gif scared me xD.

• Mention how Thunder Wave cripples Grass-type switch-ins.
  • I would probably remove Air Balloon in OO.
  • Swords Dance to OO.
  • More emphasis on Psychic-types in C&C such as Slowking (it resists Waterfall), Mesprit, Sigilyph, Uxie.

Looks good!

[qc]1/3[/qc]

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks DC, added everything in, also mentioned how SubCM Uxie + Mesprit set up on Qwilfish

Poison Jab in AC, it's nice to hit Lilligat and some other Grass-types on the switch. Steelix to c&c, as it takes nothing from Waterfall and hits bak hard with a STAB Earthquake or sets up on it. Remove the bit about Taunt stopping Trick Room users, as Qwilfish should never stay in on any Trick Room user. I'd actually make Thunder Wvae the first slash instead of Taunt - I've hardly seem anyone use it, and I would argue that Thunder Wave is a whole lot more useful for Qwilfish, especially since its slower than many things you want to taunt.

After that,

[qc]2/3[/qc]

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Be sure to mention Clefable and Cryogonal specifically as teammates. The combo of Qwilfish and either of those two is very tough to break, and they have absolutely fantastic synergy together as duos. Grass-types are also big partners, even the frailer ones, since Qwilfish is basically a hard stop to Entei who would normally rip them apart. Rotom is probably the best spinblocker to pair with Qwilfish due to its Ground immunity and Electric resistance.

Also be sure to stress that as a Spiker Qwilfish doesn't really give two shits about the main Rapid Spinners in the tier, something it holds over Roselia and Scolipede. Qwilfish pwns Sandslash, can TWave and walk all over defensive Cryogonal, you at least paralyze and can win against Kabutops, and Hitmonchan is laughable in this meta and you also paralyze it and win out every time if it isn't carrying Tpunch for some reason, Hitmonlee is even easier. This allows Qwilfish to be played on more aggressive teams, even as a primarily defensive Pokemon, since you don't have to switch immediately to your spinblocker in order to keep momentum.

will stamp later if someone doesn't beat me to it

SubCM Mesprit / Uxie with Psyshock beats that combo Oglemi ;)

also how exactly does Qwilfish pwn Sandslash lol

Sandslash has STAB EQ that 2HKOes even after Intimidate, while Qwilfish fails to 2HKO without some significant investment in Attack, so I'd say that Sandslash is more than capable of dealing with Qwilfish. Granted, Sandslash sucks, but still. Qwilfish does beat Kabutops and Cryogonal though.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The spread should be 252 HP / 236 Def / 16 Spe. It's virtually identical for taking physical attacks (slightly better in most cases actually) and obviously better for taking special attacks.

You say poison jab hits lilligant, rotom-c and tangrowth well on the switch. The fact is it does measly damage to tangrowth. CB will hurt new RU players testing stuff, take it out of OO. Also qwilfish support fillers should be haze/taunt/thunder wave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)