1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Radically Balanced

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Mitsukuni, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Mitsukuni

Mitsukuni

Hi this is my first RMT, and I've been playing NU for quite a while. I'm currently at 1592 on Ladder with about a 65% win rate, and I'd appreciate any help to get it up to 70% (besides relying on hax, which by the way saved my ass in two games today).

Before the ladder reset after the DDos attack, I did really well in UU (probably my best tier), but I never "got the hang" of NU.

While I was building the team, I read the article about "NU cores."

Basically I use two "two cores." They are
    [​IMG][​IMG]

+

[​IMG][​IMG]

The first two are strong because Golurk hits like a truck and can come in on resisted/immune hits that Cinccino can U-Turn away from, while Cinccino handles faster threats and can OHKO quite a few of them.

Amoonguss and Alomomola form the "Dual Regenerator" core, meaning unless they take catastrophic (> 87.5%) damage with stealth rock on the field, I can switch them in, and switch them out without fearing much. Even against hyper-offensive Pokemon like SS Gorebyss I can sometimes stall them out with some prediction, which I believe I'm fairly good at.

And then I needed a reliable SR pokemon and a Wallbreaker, so here's my team.

[​IMG]

Cinccino @ Life Orb
    Trait: Skill Link
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Bullet Seed
    - Rock Blast
    - Tail Slap
    - U-turn

Cinccino functions to stop fast sweepers such as Kadabra, and this skillset takes advantage of his ability Skill Link, which breaks Focus Sash and Substitute. If there are still steel types and/or physical wall(s) on the other team, U-Turn guarantees a good switch in (since no frail sweeper slower than Cinccino would want to stay in, except for Pokemon with priority moves that can OHKO a weakened Cinccino).

[​IMG]

Golurk @ Choice Band
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch
    - Shadow Punch

Golurk has relatively good offensive synergy with Cinccino, hitting certain foes much harder (such as Grass types) but requires decent prediction. That being said, Ice Punch is usually the safest move since it has 0 pokemon immune to it outside of the extraordinarily rare Shedinja. Also, the EVs allow me to survive an unboosted Life Orb Sucker Punch/Night Slash from Absol and KO with Drain Punch/Earthquake, in case the opponent thinks he can get a free Swords Dance.

[​IMG]

Alomomola @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Impish Nature
    - Protect
    - Waterfall
    - Toxic
    - Wish

Alomomola forms one of the 2 regenerator cores, and is extremely frustrating to deal with unless you pack a Special Attacker/Sweeper. Even then, Toxic nails certain switch-ins very hard and it's possible to outstall them. I also have nothing to fear from Choice Band Emboar because Wild Charge is a 2HKO with Stealth Rock up, and I can simply switch into another Pokemon to take the second Wild Charge. Physical Sweepers without Taunt/Substitute and a setup move will have no chance of breaking Alomomola.
    [​IMG]

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Clear Smog
    - Giga Drain
    - Spore
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Amoonguss functions as the second part of my regenerator core, taking Grass and electric type attacks with ease and putting dangerous threats to sleep with Spore. Hidden Power Ice hits offensive Altaria very hard (which is why I've opted for HP Ice over Sludge Bomb). Clear Smog negates the effectiveness of pokemon like Butterfree and other Dragon Dancers while Giga Drain is a good STAB move for extra healing. I alternate between Amoonguss and Alomomola to get the most out of their longevity.
    [​IMG]

Golem @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Sucker Punch
    - Rock Blast

I chose Golem over certain other SR pokemon because of Rock Blast + Sucker Punch. Sturdy lets me survive anything bar multi-hit moves that are super effective, so I'm almost always guaranteed to get SR up. Sucker Punch is an excellent move that deals significant damage to frail sweepers such as Sunny Day Charizard, Shell Smash Gorebyss, etc. Rock Blast punches holes through weak substitute users such as Haunter and destroys Ninjask, which people still use for some reason.
    [​IMG]

Emboar @ Choice Band
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Head Smash
    - Superpower
    - Wild Charge

Emboar is my wallbreaker. Send him in, hit a move (chances are, it'll hit neutrally or super effectively), and hopefully score a KO. Unfortunately, smart play by an opponent means Alomomola will never be knocked out by Emboar (see above), while every other Pokemon in NU is in danger of being destroyed after Stealth Rock, but usually if I can whittle down Alomomola's HP low enough, even Regenerator won't let the oversized luvdisc tank another hit.

I usually lead with Golem, who can survive anything bar multi-hit super effective moves such as Bullet Seed. Golem can also score kills on pokemon who think they can set up on it (such as Substitute Ninjask and Substitute Haunter).

Usually if Golem is < 25% hp, I leave it in to take the hit especially if the pokemon is specially based, since I have the 2 physically bulky walls to alternate.

I bring in Emboar on pokemon such as opposing Amoonguss and spam a move, hopefully hitting super-effectively on the switch-in (or if they stay in) or at least neutrally for massive damage.

Despite what you may think, opposing Alomomola (and for that matter, stall teams) have fared quite poorly mainly because I spam toxic whenever they try to switch out into something to take it. 70% of the time I'm switching onto either Regenerator Pokemon so unless they have those 2 as well, or Heal Bell, I have absolutely no problem dealing with Stall.

THREATS:

Here are the pokemon I'm having trouble with. (Red means Very Dangerous, Orange means Moderately Dangerous)

[​IMG]
    Gardevoir

Basically if Gardevoir has good coverage moves, such as a Choice Specs/Life Orb set consisting of Thunderbolt/Focus Blast/Psychic/Shadow Ball, I'm pretty much going to lose at least 1. Only Cinccino outspeeds it, and Golem is usually crippled/dead so it cannot be relied upon to check it. If Gardevoir has a Choice Scarf I'm in even more trouble. Emboar cannot take a Psychic at all, and the same can be said for Cinccino (who hates everything except Shadow Ball and Trick if it's a Choice Scarf).

[​IMG]
    Exeggutor

Nothing makes me more annoyed than an Exeggutor user who comes in and spams Leaf Storm/Psychic, which at worst 2 OHKO's every Pokemon on my team. If Exeggutor packs Substitute as well, it's guaranteed an OHKO, with no question.

Setup Sweepers:
    [​IMG]
    Musharna

If Musharna gets Baton Passed somehow and sets up 2 calm minds, I'm in big trouble. Flare Blitz is a 2HKO on Bold Musharna (which is the set they're usually running) and Golurk is the only one who can take a hit and can still manage to cripple Musharna.

[​IMG]

Butterfree

I've only seen Butterfree in like 1 out of every 15 games I've played, but it's usually a pain to deal with. If Golem is still alive I can send it in to absorb sleep and then send out Amoonguss to use Clear Smog, but if Amoonguss is weakened then I might have problems.

Rain Sweepers:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Gorebyss + Ludicolo

Basically I have to outpredict them to win. Ludicolo is a thorn since Giga Drain mitigates Life Orb Recoil allowing him to stay in longer, and Gorebyss can deal massive damage to everything on this team after a Shell Smash. If it's Baton Passed a sub, it can switch in on Alomomola easily, and then it's game over.

Reliable Heal Bell Users such as Audino, Leafeon, and the rare Articuno can be very annoying, since they can erase Spore/Toxic which I rely on to keep dangerous threats at bay.

Anyways this is about all I can come up with, if I missed something let me know.

2. WhiteDMist

WhiteDMist PU! We don't stink though!
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus

Welcome to Smogon! Not to rain on your parade, but I'd recommend reading the rules first. Then check out some guidelines on how to make a RMT. In this particular case, you need to actually add descriptions to your Pokemon. Once you have, VM me for a proper rate.
  3. LUST

LUST
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

This is just a friendly reminder that you are required to have individual descriptions of your mons, they are a key element for us Team Raters as they give us a better understanding of your mons specific roles in the team. If you need to look at the kind of detail we look at, check out the RMT Archive and other open threads.
  4. WhiteDMist

Well, your team is a pretty standard balanced team, with an offensive and defensive core. The main problem I see with your team is the fact that you are extremely slow, with Cinccino being the only Pokemon that is fast.

While Golurk makes a great core with Cinccino, it provides very little to your team otherwise. Emboar already fills the roles of a wallbreaker, and you don't really need a spinblocker with only Stealth Rocks. Scarf Gardevoir provides Speed, Trick to cripple opposing walls and set up mons (Musharna being a big problem otherwise), and is a nice check to opposing weather teams.

Amoonguss doesn't really need Clear Smog, since it really is too slow to use it (plus it can't break most Subs). Sludge Bomb at the very least lets you inflict decent damage on opposing Fire types that switch in, as well as being a decent move to spam. For Alomomola, Scald is usually the preferred choice over Waterfall for the burn chance. It doesn't really matter, but it's not like Waterfall will usually play that big a part in a battle anyways.

Threats to your team after these changes would include: Braviary, RestTalk Regice, Rotom-F, and Absol. One of the main reasons why I recommend Scarf Gardevoir is to be able to outspeed SubBU Braviary and force it to attack you or be hit by a Psychic/Thunderbolt. Cinccino isn't the most reliable check to it, especially is it manages to use Bulk Up a couple of times. BoltBeam users are also trouble since they decimate you defensive core easily, and Scarf Rotom-F also outspeeds Cinccino. Gardevoir has the bulk to live a Blizzard and KO back after Stealth Rocks (a more reliable way than Golem's Sucker Punch). Absol is a problem, as are most other priority users; you need to keep your core alive to deal with them.

Changes:

Gardevoir>Golurk
    Amoonguss: Sludge Bomb>Clear Smog
    Optional: Alomomola: Scald>Waterfall

Set (open)
    Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Trace
    4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Psychic
    - Signal Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Trick/ Thunderbolt

Since I'm at work, I can't give you a very in-depth rate right now (if the other raters don't rate, then I'll give you a follow-up). Still, I feel these changes, while basic, will really give your team some longevity and efficiency. Good luck and I hope I helped! :toast:
  5. Mitsukuni

Mitsukuni

Thanks WDM. I'm going to replace Golurk with Scarf Gardevoir, and replace Clear Smog with Sludge Bomb since Clear Smog is often too weak to break subs anyway.

That being said, I've found Waterfall to deal decent damage (40-50%) to frail physical sweepers like Swellow, Zangoose, and CB Braviary, so I likely will keep that intact. Against bulky sweepers like Eviolite Gurdurr, I'd rather toxic them to bring them down faster.

Edit: Let's see if anyone else would like to give input.
  6. FLCL

FLCL
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Salon Maidenis a Past SPL Winner

It looks like your are having troubles with Psychic-types in general. I suggest replacing Golurk with Skuntank, who can deal with Musharna, Exeggutor and Gardevoir with ease. It can also pick off Ludicolo and Gorebyss with Sucker Punch, provided that they have taken previous damage.

I also suggest running a Jolly nature with 252 Speed EVs on Emboar. It can then outrun and kill off standard Absol, which can be troublesome for your team if it sets up.

Summary of changes:

Golurk —> Skuntank
    Max Speed on Emboar

Set(s) (open)
    Skuntank @ Leftovers
    Trait: Aftermath
    EVs: 252 Atk / 20 HP / 236 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Poison Jab
    - Sucker Punch
    - Taunt
    - Pursuit

Emboar @ Choice Band
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Superpower
    - Flare Blitz
    - Head Smash
    - Wild Charge
  7. Mitsukuni

Mitsukuni

If I use Skuntank (I'm going to experiment with both Skuntank and Gardevoir), wouldn't it be better to use a Specially Defensive EV set? Otherwise Focus Blast could take a significant portion of Skuntank's HP if I switch in.

Edit: I just tried using Skuntank, and it was quite useful especially since 80% of NU battles have at least 1 psychic weak to Pursuit (i.e. doesn't have a secondary typing to negate).

I am likely going to leave Emboar as it is because a Jolly nature won't let me 2HKO physically defensive walls such as Alomomola and Weezing.
  8. WhiteDMist

You really wouldn't want to switch Skuntank into a Fighting move regardless. The Speed EVs are to out-prioritize Jolly Samurott and Absol. Watch out for Ground-types if you take FLCL's idea and it'll be fine.
  9. Mitsukuni

Mitsukuni

Once again, thanks a lot for the help, but I've gotten into RU battling more (mainly because I have a higher % win rate in that tier). What's the typical wait time before I can post another RMT? I want to post my RU team but the sticky said wait 2 weeks or something (even though I don't expect any more comments in this one to improve my team).

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)