Rage of Gyarados

Note: Furai gave me this sprite :P

Rage of Gyarados

Introduction

People kept telling me that Gyarados is horrible in Ubers, but I always disagree anyway because Gyarados is just so awesome! The Ubers laddder can get boring sometimes with only a few people on, so I decided to make up a decent OU team that features Gyarados. So far, this team did fine on ladder, peaking out at ~1370 before leveling off. I never seen an opposing RestTalk Gyarados in all of my matches which sort of sucks. I guess RestTalk Gyarados did became extinct after all. I named this RMT Rage of Gyarados because Gyarados deserves more usage really. The team does not have any weather inducers but I rarely wished I have one in most of my ladder matches. This team is the best OU team I made so far, and I hope it isn't too bad. I gained a lot of experience on the standard metagame with this team and I enjoy using it! Next, Gyarados is by far my favorite pokemon and OU is where it shines.

I previously had Reuniclus instead of Tangrowth and Scarf Zapdos over Jolteon. I changed them because Tangrowth is a great annoyance to VoltTurn teams while Jolteon prevents potential Volt Switches from the likes of Rotom-W. Electric-type attacks are also one of the few ways to take out Gyarados in one shot, so Jolteon is there to absorb it. Zapdos is too Stealth Rock weak and does not even resists Electric attacks. I am trying to stall without relying on weather with this team which is still possible to me.

In-Depth View

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 Def ( 0 Speed IVs )
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Standard Forretress fits on this team nicely by providing both types of Spikes. Rapid Spin is crucial or this team as I want my team to stay alive as long as possible rather than just keep attacking. Oh yeah, Gyarados needs Stealth Rock off to switch around freely so Rapid Spin is mandatory which is the reason I am using Forretress over either Skarmory or Ferrothorn. Spikes wear down the opponent fast and Scizor + Jolteon can force a lot of switches while Gyarados can abuse those Spikes by Roaring the opponent away. Toxic Spikes are less useful to this team but it helps weaken certain dangerous threats such as Terrakion and Tyranitar. The popularity of Tentacruel sometimes do make me feel Toxic Spikes is not worth using though.

Gyro Ball is actually surprisingly powerful against threats such as Haxorus, Terrakion and Dragon Dance Tyranitar. 2HKOing all of them and capable of OHKOing Terrakion after a little prior damage. Gyro Ball also helps to nail Gengar hard on the switch in, sometimes KOing it with Stealth Rock support. With Gyarados around, I can afford to use less Defense EVs to boost Gyro Ball's power which is useful for smacking the aforementioned threats hard. In terms of synergy, Blissey can always pass huge wishes to bring Forretress back to full health while Gyarados easily absorbs any Fire-type attack including Victini's V-Create.

Unlike Ubers, I noticed most major threats in OU are physically based so Relaxed nature is a must. Defense EVs are for tanking Outrages from the OU Dragons such as Haxorus, Dragonite and Salamence. I don't think Special Defense EVs are needed anyway because I have Blissey. Female over male for taking on Rivalry Haxorus better as most of them are male, thanks to Benelux Stall RMT for telling me that.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss / Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Blissey is still Blissey. She walls many Special attackers to death, even things like Calm Mind Virizon never enjoys facing Blissey one-on-one. Wish is needed for this team to fully heal Forretress, Scizor and Jolteon back to maximum health as it is their only way of recovery. Softboiled is used because I think Blissey needs that immediate recovery these days. I am not using Chansey because I love to switch around and Chansey dies faster to residual damage anyway such as Sandstorm which is rather common. Seismic Toss is cool to wear down opponents such as Scizor who love coming in on Blissey to spam U-Turn. With Spikes support, Scizor will faint before Blissey will if it tries to use U-Turn instead of Superpower.

I need to use Stealth Rock because I don't have anything else to set it up. Blissey is definitely bulky enough to set up Stealth Rock anyway and I don't want to put too much pressure on Forretress in setting up hazards. The EV seems weird but it puts Blissey at 701 HP, giving minimum passive damage and optimum bulk. Like what I mentioned earlier, I have Gyarados's Intimidate support so a Bold nature isn't really needed at all. Calm is useful for things like Specs Politoed and Heatran ( I saw this in shrang's Blissey spread discussion and changed it to Calm ) At 701 HP, Blissey can now pass 350 HP wishes, effectively full healing almost every team member back to full health with leftovers. Max Defense is obvious on Blissey. The rest of the EVs are put into Special Defense.

Most physical attackers are stopped by Forretress, Gyarados and Tangrowth. Gyarados's Intimidate is actually pretty useful for Blissey as it allows Blissey to even stall out Mixed Salamence and Kyurem. Gyarados has no problems coming in on any attack Mixed Salamence carries save Draco Meteor.

Tangrowth (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Ice

Instead of using the ugly and standard Ferrothorn I decided to use something new and this thing is so fun to use! Although not a common sight in OU, Tangrowth actually walls quite a bit of threats and shares decent synergy with Gyarados. Tangrowth's trump card is Regenerator which gives it reliable recovery throughout the match without relying on Leech Seed or Wish. Knock Off can give me the upper hand against opposing stall teams and removing a Choice Band Terrakion or Scizor's item can be pretty useful. Leech Seed is for annoying threats and provides additional healing.

I don't know why the standard analysis wants Power Whip over Leaf Storm. Tangrowth has a higher Special Attack stat than physical, and Leaf Storm is also quite a it stronger. Since Tangrowth will be constantly switching around, Leaf Storm's Special Attack drop isn't much of a big deal. Hidden Power Ice destroys Gliscor and Dragon-types even Dragonite if it isn't the Defensive set. It is most useful when dealing with Dragon Dance Salamence or Haxorus. Sometimes I Leech Seed the opponent as they attack and switch to Gyarados for the Attack drop and come back in later to abuse Regenerator. No Sleep Powder because I am using Toxic Spikes and Knock Off seems more useful when I test it.

Bold nature because I am not using Power Whip. Max Defense and HP are for maximum physical bulk and checking things like Terrakion and Tyranitar. Leaf Storm and Bold also allows me to OHKO Rotom-W even if Tangrowth is burned which is another advantage over Power Whip.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

CB Scizor fits in this team perfectly by checking Terrakion, Tyranitar, Reuniclus and most Dragon Dance sweepers such as Salamence. U-Turn gives me a way to weaken teams easily and is quite powerful with Choice Band. Bullet Punch is the tool of revenge killing and Scizor has the bulk to take certain powerful resisted hits such as +1 Outrage. With Choice Band and max Attack, Bullet Punch can even OHKO Gengar and Terrakion easily, removing major threats easily. Even Venusaur ( one of the bulkier Chlorophyll users ) takes massive damage from Bullet Punch. Superpower is for smacking Ferrothorn hard and OHKOing Blissey easily. It helps sometimes by hurting Skarmory as it Roosts. You may wonder why am I using Bug Bite and U-Turn. The reason is U-Turn does not OHKO Reuniclus which is where Bug Bite comes in. Bug Bite also lets me OHKO max HP Tyranitar without using Superpower.

EVs are simple and I don't mind being slower so I put the rest of the EVs into Defense. Max Attack is really needed for hitting as hard as possible. Gyarados resists Scizor's only weakness while Jolteon helps Scizor destroy Skarmory, opposing Gyarados, Tentacruel and Jellicent. U-turn also helps me to scout and can annoy most teams who lack a spinner. I don't really need Pursuit because many of them use Hidden Power Fire these days. Even if Latios roams freely, it cannot really hurt my team much with Blissey around. I have to predict around Trick however.

Jolteon (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power Ice

It might seem weird to find Jolteon on this team but it does have a few niches. First off, it is immune to Gyarados's only weakness and vice versa. Next, Jolteon gives my team more power and a check to rain teams by spamming Thunder. Jolteon is also pretty fast so it can revenge kill some dangerous threats such as Swords Dance Terrakion, Nasty Plot Celebi and even Alakazam if it is unboosted. Volt Switch is so awesome when paired with U-Turn and it is the first time I am using this kind of strategy. VoltTurn never appears in Ubers. Thunder > Thunderbolt because I find Thunderbolt to be too weak and Volt Switch is already almost as strong. Thunder also has that tasty 30% paralysis which can be game deciding sometimes, and rain teams are just so popular at the moment.

Strange but Jolteon actually saved me a few times from Jirachi by hitting it hard and paralyzing it with Thunder. Jolteon is also a halt to threats looking to abuse Volt Switch on Gyarados. In return, most Ground-types are deadly afraid of Gyarados in return. Signal Beam over Shadow Ball to OHKO Celebi, as Volt Switch already does a ton to Gengar anyway. Hidden Power Ice because it can out speed +1 neutral Dragonite and OHKOes Landorus, Gliscor and Salamence reliably. I don't need Hidden Power Grass because Gastrodon isn't a threat to this team. Forretress provides Spikes for Jolteon to abuse with when paired with Scizor. Max Speed and Special Attack for maximum offensive potential since Jolteon is very frail anyway.

Alucard gave me a Hidden Power Ice spread with perfect Speed IVs so I am using it now. 394 Speed allows me to out speed everything up to +1 Gyarados and Scarf Politoed which is probably more important than a little extra Special Defense. Last reason to use Jolteon is it is cute :)

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Waterfall

With that, as the last member of the team, in comes GYARADOS. The reason this team is made. For some reasons, I never encounter any RestTalk Gyarados anymore on ladder. Roar, how could this happen? To me, Defensive Gyarados is working remarkably well especially when you give the right support to it: hazards, Rapid Spin and something to take Electric-type attacks. Besides being my favourite pokemon, Gyarados is pretty important to this team by providing much needed physical bulk through Intimidate and his useful typing.

Rest and Sleep Talk provides Gyarados with semi-reliable recovery, and if that fails I can always bank on Blissey to pass Gyarados a huge Wish, often fully recovering. With Gyarados's combination of power, bulk and typing, I get to check dangerous threats such as Conkedlurr, Breloom, Landorus, Gliscor, Lucario, Virizon and non Choice Band Tyranitar. I have to use Roar because Dragon Tail always misses :(

I sometimes do miss Dragon Tail's power against foes such as Haxorus which is the reason I am using Hidden Power Ice on both Tangrowth and Jolteon. The rising popularity of Substitute users such as on Dragon Dance Gyarados, Landorus and Venusaur also make Roar more appealing. Oh, more PP can sometimes help in stall wars. Waterfall gives Gyarados a way of attacking. Even without Attack EVs, Gyarados still sits at a respectable 286 Attack stat. Waterfall is nice for hurting certain threats such as Lucario, Alakazam and Volcarona. Terrakion or Tyranitar can never switch in easily on Gyarados anyway due to the threat of Waterfall.

Gyarados can also come in on threats then switch back out to abuse Intimidate, which is fun! Stealth Rock does somewhat limit his bulk so Rapid Spin support from Forretress is as close as I can get to prevent Stealth Rock from going up. Jolteon as mentioned earlier is Gyarados's best friend. Although Jolteon isn't bulky, it is immune to Electric-type attacks forcing the opponent to take out Jolteon first before they can hit Gyarados with their Electric-type attacks. Jolteon easily scares off threats who annoy Gyarados such as Starmie, Vaporeon and even Skarmory who can Taunt Gyarados sadly.

EVs are for optimum bulk, switch in on Stealth Rock five times and live to tell the tale while Speed EVs are for some Speed Creep. Gyarados also outruns most phazers such as Skarmory, Hippowdon, Vaporeon and Donphan so I can Roar them out before they do, unless Skarmory has Taunt.

There's no way I am dropping Gyarados out, changing the set is fine by me.

Conclusion

I can change any of the team members but Gyarados because Gyarados is the MVP. I consider this team a balanced one but I cannot fit in Jellicent as a spin blocker because its typing overlaps with that of Gyarados. Therefore, I am living without a spin blocker sadly. Feel free to comment, criticize and rate this team but Gyarados will never leave this team! I hate to face sun teams, so I might possibly drop Blissey for Heatran. Rain teams are less problematic because the presence of Gyarados + Jolteon can make them sad. Blissey walls most Special Attackers in rain teams as well such as Choice Specs Kingdra.

Threat List I made this list simple because I don't have the time to explain all at the moment.

Offensive Threats

Tyranitar:
Choice Band - Scizor, Forretress and Tangrowth can all beat it with the right predictions. Gyarados beat those not stuck on Stone Edge.
Choice Scarf - Scizor revenges easily. Gyarados does no fear anything but Stone Edge which still does not KOes. Tangrowth walls it. Forretress's Gyro Ball 2HKOes at worst.
Dragon Dance - Scizor can Bullet Punch it. Tangrowth can Leech Seed and KO it with Leaf Storm. If it drops Stone Edge, Gyarados will give it a hard time. Forretress can beat those without Fire Punch.

Rotom-W:
Choice Scarf / Specs - Blissey, Tangrowth and Jolteon

Scizor:
Choice Band - Gyarados and Forretress. Jolteon can KO it with Thunder.
Swords Dance - Gyarados, Jolteon

Dragonite:
Choice Band - Scizor, Forretress, Tangrowth, Gyarados and Jolteon KOes with HP Ice.
Dragon Dance - Gyarados, Tangrowth, Jolteon and Forretress. Scizor revenges.
Mixed - Jolteon, Gyarados + Blissey
Parashuffler - Gyarados, Scizor, Forretress

Politoed:
Choice Specs / Scarf- Blissey, Gyarados, Jolteon

Heatran:
Standard - Gyarados, Blissey

Jirachi:
Substitute + Calm Mind / Wish + Calm Mind - Scizor and Jolteon. Tangrowth can Leech Seed non Sub ones. Blissey beats those without Wish.

Latios:
Life Orb - Scizor, Blissey, Jolteon revenges.
Choice Scarf / Specs - Scizor can KO easily. Forretress, Blissey
Calm Mind - Scizor, Blissey

Reuniclus:
Calm Mind - Scizor OHKOes it. Jolteon hits it hard when unboosted.
Offensive Trick Room - Blissey, Scizor. Gyarados can take some hits.

Haxorus:
Choice Scarf / Choice Band - Scizor revenges it. Tangrowth + Gyarados can soak up most hits. Forretress 2HKOes with Gyro Ball. Jolteon owns CB variants.
Dragon Dance - Scizor beats it easily, as can Forretress and Tangrowth.
Double Dance - Scizor still beats it. Jolteon can revenge Swords Danced versions while Tangrowth and Gyarados still annoy Haxorus.

Ninetales:
Nasty Plot - Blissey and Gyarados. Jolteon can hit it hard.
Choice Specs - Same as Nasty Plot.
Special Attacker - Same as Nasty Plot.

Conkeldurr:
Bulk Up - Gyarados, Tangrowth

Celebi:
Nasty Plot Sweeper - Jolteon.
Tinkerbell - Jolteon, Blissey
Choice Specs / Choice Scarf - Jolteon, Scizor.

Terrakion:
Double Dance - Scizor revenges easily. Forretress and Tangrowth as well.
Choice Scarf / Choice Band - Scizor beats this with Bullet Punch. Tangrowth owns this. Jolteon can revenge Choice Band variants. Gyarados only hates Stone Edge and can KO with Waterfall.

Gyarados:
Offensive / Bulky Dragon Dance - Tangrowth, Gyarados, Jolteon

Gengar:
Substitute + Disable / Pain Split - Scizor, Jolteon and Gyarados owns this. Blissey can wall it too. Forretress can smack it with Gyro Ball.

Starmie:
Life Orb - Blissey, Jolteon and Scizor.
Rapid Spin - Can't do anything to prevent the spin but Jolteon and Tangrowth rips it.
Choice Specs - Same as Life Orb.

Landorus:
Rock Polish / Swords Dance - Tangrowth and Scizor. Gyarados and Forretress beats Rock Polish. Jolteon revenges Swords Dance verions.
Choice Scarf - Gyarados, Tangrowth, Forretress and Scizor.
Substitute + 3 Attacks - Gyarados, Jolteon and Tangrowth. Forretress can Gyro Ball it too.

Infernape:
Mixed Attacker - Gyarados, Jolteon
Nasty Plot / Swords Dance Booster - Same as above.
Choice Band - Gyarados, Jolteon. Tangrowth can take any attack but Flare Blitz.

Volcarona:
Offensive Quiver Dance - Gyarados, Blissey.
Bulky Quiver Dance - Same as above
Chesto Rest - Same as above.
Substitute - Same as above.

Magnezone:
Substitute - Blissey
Choice Scarf - Blissey, Jolteon.

Espeon:
Calm Mind - Scizor, Jolteon can hit it hard before it sets up. A huge annoyance. Gyarados can Waterfall it.

Salamence:
Dragon Dance - Tangrowth walls this with Leech Seed, Regenerator and can KO with Hidden Power Ice. Scizor can revenge. Gyarados Roars it out. Forretress can Gyro Ball it.
Mixed - Gyarados + Blissey, Scizor and Jolteon.
Defensive - Blissey, Jolteon, Tangrowth.

Hydreigon:
Offensive - Blissey. Gyarados can help soak up some hits and foils Mixed Attackers.
Choice Specs / Choice Scarf - Blissey, Scizor

Breloom:
Sub Seed - Gyarados, Tangrowth
Sub Punch - Gyarados, Tangrowth
Defensive Bulk Up - Annoying to deal with. Gyarados can Roar it out. Tangrowth can Hidden Power Ice it. Scizor can Bug Bite for large amounts of damage when unboosted. Jolteon can KO weakened ones.

Latias:
Calm Mind - Scizor beats non-HP Fire variants. Blissey beats the rest.
Offensive Tank - Blissey, Scizor
Choice Specs - Blissey, Scizor, Forretress

Toxicroak:
Swords Dance - Gyarados can Roar it. Scizor, Forretress and Tangrowth
Bulk Up - Jolteon, Gyarados, Tangrowth

Lucario:
Swords Dance - Gyarados
Nasty Plot - Jolteon, Gyarados

Virizion:
Calm Mind - Scizor, Blissey.
Swords Dance - Scizor, Forretress, Jolteon and Gyarados can check it.

Scrafty:
Dragon Dance - Gyarados, Tangrowth, Forretress.
Bulk Up - Gyarados, Scizor, Tangrowth

Venusaur:
Special Growth - Scizor, Gyarados. Forretress can beat variants without Hidden Power Fire.
Mixed Growth - Blissey, Scizor's Bullet Punch and Gyarados can Roar.
SubSeed - Gyarados, Forretress and Scizor.

Metagross:
Stealth Rock - Gyarados, Jolteon, Forretress, Tangrowth and Scizor.
Choice Scarf / Choice Band - Same as above but Jolteon cannot take Earthquake
Agility - Gyarados, Forretress + Tangrowth

Mienshao:
All-Out Attacker - Gyarados. Jolteon and Scizor can revenge.
Choice Scarf / Choice Band - Gyarados, Tangrowth, Forretress. Scizor can still revenge kill it.

Cloyster:
Shell Smash - Scizor can revenge after the smash. Gyarados can take unboosted hits or if without Rock Blast. Forretress can Gyro Ball.

Mamoswine:
Physical Attacker - Scizor and Gyarados + Tangrowth.
Focus Sash + Endeavor - Tangrowth can Leech Seed it first then Leaf Storm to foil endeavor. Gyarados + Forretress.

Darmanitan:
Choice Scarf - Gyarados.

Tornadus:
Rain Abuser - Blissey and Jolteon. Scizor can revenge with Bullet Punch.

Alakazam:
Sub + Life Orb - Scizor, Jolteon. Blissey beats those without Psychock
Calm Mind - Scizor
Focus Sash: Blissey, Scizor, Jolteon and Gyarados

Kyurem:
Choice Specs / Scarf: Blissey, Scizor, Gyarados, Forretress
Substitute + 3 Attacks: Blissey, Scizor, Gyarados

Victini:
Choice Band / Scarf: Gyarados. Fusion Bolt is absorbed by Tangrowth. Jolteon revenges after C-Create.
Physical Attacker: Gyarados + Tangrowth and prediction. Joltoen revenges.

Defensive Threats

Tyranitar:
Specially Defensive - Gyarados, Tangrowth and Scizor.

Rotom-W:
Standard - Tangrowth, Jolteon, Blissey.

Ferrothorn:
Standard - Scizor, Forretress

Politoed:
Defensive - Tangrowth, Gyarados, Blissey

Gliscor:
Swords Dance - Gyarados, Jolteon, Tangrowth.
Substitute + Protect - Same as above.
AcroBat - Gyarados, Jolteon and Scizor can revenge.
Defensive - Gyarados, Tangrowth.

Heatran:
Specially Defensive - Gyarados, Blissey.

Jirachi:
Specially Defensive - Gyarados, Jolteon, Tangrowth, Scizor.
Calm Mind - Scizor can U-turn or Bug Bite for quite some damage. Jolteon can hurt it. Gyarados can Roar it out if it lacks Thunder. Blissey annoys it if Jirachi drops Wish.

Skarmory:
Physically Defensive Spiker - Jolteon and Forretress.
Specially Defensive Spiker - Same as above.

Ninetales:
Specially Defensive - Gyarados, Blissey. Defensive Ninetales is too weak to cause much damage.

Celebi:
Defensive - Scizor OHKOes with U-Turn. If it has Hidden Power Fire, things can be tricky but Blissey can force it out with Toxic.

Forretress:
Physically Defensive Spiker - Jolteon. Forretress can spin. I can't really KO it quick without Jolteon though.
Specially Defensive Spiker - My own Forretress and Jolteon.

Gyarados:
RestTalk - Jolteon, Tangrowth and my own Gyarados. It can't really hurt my team without hazards. Forretress can also get some layers on it.

Jellicent:
Utility Counter - Jolteon and Tangrowth. Jolteon can OHKO it with Thunder, Volt Switch still does a lot. Tangrowth can Knock Off or Leaf Storm it for major damage.

Tentacruel:
Toxic Spikes - Jolteon. Tangrowth can weaken it with Leaf Storm, Knock Off and Leech Seed.

Gastrodon:
Tank - Gyarados, Tangrowth and Blissey
Dual Screens - Scizor and Jolteon
Baton Pass - Scizor

Blissey:
Support - Scizor and Gyarados. Forretress sets up on it if Blissey lacks Flamethrower.

Vaporeon:
Wish Support - Jolteon, Tangrowth and Blissey.

Latias:
Support - Scizor, Forretress, Blissey and Gyarados Roars it out.

Chansey:
Support: Forretress, Gyarados, Blissey and Scizor.

Mew:
Stallbreaker - Jolteon 2HKOes. Tangrowth knocks off its item. Gyarados walls it when asleep. Scizor can take out weakened ones with Bullet Punch.

Slowbro:
Tank - Blissey, Tangrowth's Leaf Storm and Jolteon.

Quagsire:
Curse - Gyarados Roars it out. Tangrowth.
Specially Defensive - Tangrowth, Blissey and Gyarados
Physically Defensive - Tangrowth rips it apart. Gyarados walls it.

Importable
Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

Tangrowth (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Ice

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Roar
- Waterfall

Jolteon (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power Ice

Nice team, I really like how you put some offense in a stallish team.

One things I would like to suggest:
Giving Scizor a bit more SDef to check things like Reuniclus and Gengar since you really have problems beating them. TR Reuniclus is a threat if it has Psyshock and the CM Version runs through your team when Scizor is weak enough which won't be that hard for the opponent because Forry loses to every Spinblocker beside non Disable Gar and Scizor doesn't have recovery. Gengar easily gets a sub against Blissey, Tang and Sciz/Jolt locked into the wrong move and then easily kills something, especially if its LO Pain Split. It's even easier for Gengar to ub because you don't have Pursuit on Scizor.

So making Scizor more Specially Defensive and giving it Pursuit would really help you getting past this threats.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Like I said on IRC, this team seems pretty sun weak, like most teams that don't run weather. I'm not too sure on how to fix this, although chucking Heatran on somewhere (maybe over Scizor, since you have Gyrarados and Forretress for Terrakion anyway) might be helpful. Something like:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: I don't know, but enough to significantly hurt SubDD Dragonite with HP Ice
Nature: See above
- Lava Plume
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roar
- Earth Power

This does make you quite Reuniclus weak, so I'm not too sure how to fix this, sorry. I'm sick today and really can't think straight.

Your team also seems a bit stall weak, since you have hazards and no spin blocker. Since spinblockers are a bit hard to use in OU these days, you're going to have to outplay them quite significantly.

Anyway, nice (first?) team. Good luck with it.

Lol I just feel this team would work so much better with a Drizzle Toed. Literally every current team member except Blissey benefits from it a lot, plus it helps against Sun teams which currently hurt you a lot. Just off the top of my head, why not try something like Politoed > Blissey, Tentacruel > Forretress? It does make you slightly more Latios weak but you can always get around that with the standard CM or SpDef Jirachi over Scizor (since with Tenta and the removal of Blissey you no longer have to worry about Terrakion). There might be some more problems this change causes which I can't see but it just feels like doing so would make the team a whole lot better.

Hope this helps, grats on making a foray into OU and making a really cool team :)

Giving Scizor a bit more SDef to check things like Reuniclus and Gengar since you really have problems beating them. TR Reuniclus is a threat if it has Psyshock and the CM Version runs through your team
So making Scizor more Specially Defensive and giving it Pursuit would really help you getting past this threats.
I will think about adding in more Special Defense and Pursuit thanks. Well Blissey can stall out Trick Room's turns easily with Softboiled because Psyshock can't really take out Blissey quickly. If it has Psyshock instead of Psychic, Gyarados will wall Reuniclus and can knock it out with a few Waterfalls.

I have to rely on Jolteon + Scizor to beat Thunderbolt Gengar :( Jolteon outspeeds Gengar and can Volt Switch, break the Sub and go to Scizor to Bullet Punch it but yeah Gengar is annoying. CM version can't really run through the team because I will Roar it out with Gyarados mid-game, till the end Scizor comes out and OHKO with Bug Bite.

Like I said on IRC, this team seems pretty sun weak, like most teams that don't run weather. I'm not too sure on how to fix this, although chucking Heatran on somewhere
Removing Scizor makes me lose the VoltTurn core :( It sort of makes me weaker to Tyranitar too. I will still think about adding Heatran ;) I rarely seen Reuniclus these days anyway thanks.

Lol I just feel this team would work so much better with a Drizzle Toed.
Blissey is the only one to set up Stealth Rock lol. Adding Politoed means it will have to be like a new team :( Also, I tried not to use Rain Stall because it is so common already ;) Maybe Jirachi can set it up but I don't want to use another rain team like many other players have made. Thanks for rating though I will think about the possible changes!

haunter

Banned deucer.
Looks like an excellent team, though a bit too stallish for my taste. Anyway, as others have said you're pretty weak to sun teams and there's not much you can do to cover that weakness other than adding Heatran somewhere (ideally Blissey but then you'd be pretty weak to special attackers like LO Latios, Rotom etc.).

Another massive weakness I see is sub-charge Magnezone. If it comes on Scizor's BP or Forretress it can freely set up a sub, get a couple of SpA boosts and sweep your team with thunderbolt\hp ice. You can prevent it from running through your team by using Scizor's BP carefully and by replacing gyro ball with volt switch (in this case go with a bold nature) or earthquake on Forretress.

Also:
I cannot outspeed opposing Jolteon anyway ( due to Hidden Power Ice's IVs )
this is not entirely true, just use the following IV spread 31\30\30\31\31\31 and you'll get a 70 BP HP ice with a perfect speed IV. This way you'll at least tie with opposing Jolteon.

Cool team, anyway, let me give my insight:

Use Power Whip over Leaf Storm and use a Relaxed Nature on Tangrowth. The -SpA drop can become annoying very quickly imo, and helps you out with a few things (like a stronger hit on T-Tar, Terrakion in the Sand, etc.)

Use Volt Switch over Toxic Spikes on Forry: it will help you out with you Magnezone weakness a bit, since it can Charge Beam up to + whatever and do some serious damage to your team.

Cool team though, hope I helped a bit.

Anyway, as others have said you're pretty weak to sun teams and there's not much you can do to cover that weakness other than adding Heatran somewhere (ideally Blissey but then you'd be pretty weak to special attackers like LO Latios, Rotom etc.
Maybe I should change Blissey to Heatran since Heatran + Scizor can check most Latios sets decently. I do miss Blissey in walling Rotom and passing huge wishes sadly. I am keeping Blissey at the moment but I might give Heatran a try.

I like Gyro Ball on Forretress to take out Dragon Dancers and as a strong STAB move to hit foes such as Gengar. I probably have to use Scizor's BP wisely when Magnezone is around :( If SubMagnezone is becoming too common then I will use Shed Shell on Forretress to prevent it from setting up.

this is not entirely true, just use the following IV spread 31\30\30\31\31\31 and you'll get a 70 BP HP ice with a perfect speed IV. This way you'll at least tie with opposing Jolteon.
I didn't know this earlier :( I am using max Speed Jolteon then. Thanks for rating.

Use Power Whip over Leaf Storm and use a Relaxed Nature on Tangrowth. The -SpA drop can become annoying very quickly imo, and helps you out with a few things
But Leaf Storm allows me to take out Rotom-W with Will-O-Wisp and destroys Jellicent easier. It also hits things such as Vaporeon and Starmie harder. The SpA drop isn't too much of an issue because I always switch Tangrowth around to utilize Regenerator. Terrakion and Tyranitar still do not enjoy Leaf Storm anyway and I have Forretress, Scizor and Gyarados to check them.

I like the suggestion of using Volt Switch over Toxic Spikes :) I think I will try it out. Thanks, the comment really gave me a new idea.

seems infernape can take out lots of your team or hit them extremely hard
Infernape has a lot of sets, which makes it so hard to deal with. Scarf ones are walled by Gyarados easily while Choice Band variants still has a hard time getting past Gyarados anyway. If it is not stuck on Flare Blitz, Tangrowth ( who can survive Flare Blitz actually ) and Forretress can come in and annoy it. Mixed sets are more annoying, especially if Stealth Rock is up. In the worst case, Jolteon can revenge kill non Scarf Infernape. Scizor can Bullet Punch weakened ones for the KO since it is pretty frail.

But Leaf Storm allows me to take out Rotom-W with Will-O-Wisp and destroys Jellicent easier. It also hits things such as Vaporeon and Starmie harder. The SpA drop isn't too much of an issue because I always switch Tangrowth around to utilize Regenerator. Terrakion and Tyranitar still do not enjoy Leaf Storm anyway and I have Forretress, Scizor and Gyarados to check them.
You have Bliss for Rotom W, and Forry and Scizor cannot switch into T-Tar because they can get hit by Fire Blast;
Starmie also dies to Power Whip either way, neither would switch in though, and you would be silly to stay in on Starmie because Ice Beam would do a ton of damage, forcing you out easily.

But like I said, Power Whip is a personal preference.

You have Bliss for Rotom W, and Forry and Scizor cannot switch into T-Tar because they can get hit by Fire Blast;
Starmie also dies to Power Whip either way, neither would switch in though, and you would be silly to stay in on Starmie because Ice Beam would do a ton of damage, forcing you out easily.

But like I said, Power Whip is a personal preference.

Tbh, I'd keep leaf storm. The only real reason for power whip is ttar, which is usually sacced pretty early after getting rocks down versus an weatherless team. In addition, Gyarados deals with ttar preety well anyway, and the facts that leaf storm is stronger, tangrowth usually switches to get regenerator recovery before it can experience the -2 drop, and it isn't affect by burns damagewise make leaf storm better imo.

Just nitpicking, but iirc Starmie actually can't OHKO a full HP tangrowth with a standard set.

Like what zzazzdsa said, Leaf Storm is usually better for this team. I understand Power Whip's consistent power and being a physical move can be useful against certain threats but I like Leaf Storm more for the reasons mentioned above.

Blissey also can't really take out Rotom-W quickly and hates Pain Split, Tangrowth can OHKO it with Leaf Storm easily while using Power Whip means I risk eating a burn.

Power Whip vs 252 HP Starmie - 91.4% - 108%
Leaf Storm vs 252 HP Starmie - 114.8% - 135.8%
I like the guaranteed OHKO more, provided Leaf Storm hits. Well max HP Starmie is rare but I saw a few bulkier Starmie variants.

Life Orb 252 SpA Timid Starmie Ice Beam vs Tangrowth 95.5% - 112.9%
Without Life Orb it does 73.8% - 87.1%, so Tangrowth can survive the hit, OHKO Starmie then switch out, recovering back easily with Regenerator.

I probably won't stay in on Life Orb Starmie because Ice Beam might OHKO Tangrowth. Thanks for commenting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)